McCartin

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Re: McCartin

70s sainter wrote:Re you signature above isn't Heeney supposed to be better than petrecca , so how good is heeney then??
Maybe - but we haven't a choice of Heeney

You are garbage - Enough said
Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
Well if we take McCartin we may have also missed out on taking a Scully type. I reckon if we bothered to look up who was the most popular player we would have taken 6 months ago it would have been McCartin and I don't think he has done much wrong since. Petracca has improved but he was probably only a top 10 pick 6 months ago so he had too. I wanted Petracca because I think mids win games but it still seems clubs think forwards win games when you look at what Boyd will get in 2 years time. And we haven't even picked yet. We still may take Petracca. Certainly makes the draft the most exciting in years.

This is pretty close to the mark as well.

McCartin has been touted as N0.1 since mid year.

Whoever we pick @1 really makes 21 and 22 very very interesting.

You are garbage - Enough said
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Megamaguire
Club Player

Good Fwd Good Mid

sainternist said
"My gut is saying if they don't get Petracca it'll be like passing on a player of Chris Judd's caliber".
I have the same recurring bad dream have to say. I remember Judd had the baggage of 2 shoulder recos and that prob. swung the Saints Ballward but yes if only. WC didn't have to sweat it as much perhaps with Ball out of the picture and Judd the obvious pick if fully recovered. Right now it seems the Saints have to sweat it a bit.
I can't really blame the club for looking past Judd but it would have been brave in a way to have favoured him over the bustling Ball.
What if.... 2 grand finals and Judd is in the Saints midfield to help out Lenny & the rest. I would really have enjoyed watching that midfield combo.
So yes, the chance that Petracca may have the potential to stand alongside Judd or Hodge in future comparisons may be let slip by gives me the creeps.

Mind you Dunstan, Billings and Acers show that the recruiters are not hopeless

I'm now wondering if they are thinking it may be easier to lure good midfielders to the fold than forwards in upcoming years and if Petra & McCartin look like equal value then get in the fwd. and work on getting a A-grade mid-fielder(s) outside the draft ??

G o SAINTS !

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

sax
Club Player

Here is the updated Herald Sun Phantom. http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/a ... 7132256899

I have to say if we take McCartin, I don't think there is any way we would take R. McKenzie.
I wouldn't mind us still taking Neale-Bullen, but I think the other one would be Tom Lamb, Daniel McKenzie or Damien Cavka.

I think it will look like either of the following

Scenario 1
1. Patrick McCartin
21. Alex Neal-Bullen
22. Tom Lamb/Daniel McKenzie/Damian Cavka
41. Best Available

Scenario 2
1. Christian Petracca
21. Alex Neale-Bullen
22. Reece McKenzie
41. Best Available

Foundation Social Club Member No. 296
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

I think it's becoming increasingly obvious that the gap between Petracca and McCartin is a lot narrower than a lot of armchair experts think. It is not a slam dunk; there really is a decision to make.

With that in mind I think we need to cut the recruiters a bit of slack, whatever the outcome.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

I think the important thing whoever we take is who will be the better of the 2 in 3 years time. Matters little if either standout next year as ww will most likely finish bottom again but we are on the rise that is when we need one of the 2 to start to really stand up. It maybe a longer wait if we take McCartin but hopefully it will be worth it.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:Have to say - thats a pretty bloody impressive interview on 3AW by PM.
When was it on Con? Would like to have a listen..
http://www.3aw.com.au/footy/displayJwPl ... Id=4962939

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:I think the important thing whoever we take is who will be the better of the 2 in 3 years time. Matters little if either standout next year as ww will most likely finish bottom again but we are on the rise that is when we need one of the 2 to start to really stand up. It maybe a longer wait if we take McCartin but hopefully it will be worth it.
Yep agree. Im not real fussed how they do in 2015. But Ill be furious if they arent a gun by 2018.

lefty
Club Player

Go with Petracca, he's a big unit. His older brother is very good as well, kills it.

I don't think we should target a forward.

The problem I see for Paddy is his height. He is small at 194cm and will struggle against taller defenders IMO.

I'd rather get a #1 Midfielder, to go along with #18 Dunstan, and #3 Billings.

Forwards don't win you premierships, its really the mid's < but that's just my opinion.

I'd be happier if we target Cameron in free agency instead, or heck, grab a forward the following year, we all know we'll be down the bottom anyway.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

With Jones now gone, is #4 still vacant?

Haven't had a FF with the body shape and game type of McCartin since you know who.. It's meant to be..

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

lefty wrote:Go with Petracca, he's a big unit. His older brother is very good as well, kills it.

The problem I see for Paddy is his height. He is small at 194cm and will struggle against taller defenders IMO.

Forwards don't win you premierships, its really the mid's < but that's just my opinion.

I'd be happier if we target Cameron in free agency instead, or heck, grab a forward the following year, we all know we'll be down the bottom anyway.

Couple of things. Cameron isn't a FA so we cant get him that way and McCartin is fractionally taller than Roughead and Roo so I don't think he is to small. I do agree though that I rate mids to win games.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

sax wrote:Here is the updated Herald Sun Phantom. http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/a ... 7132256899

I have to say if we take McCartin, I don't think there is any way we would take R. McKenzie.
I wouldn't mind us still taking Neale-Bullen, but I think the other one would be Tom Lamb, Daniel McKenzie or Damien Cavka.

I think it will look like either of the following

Scenario 1
1. Patrick McCartin
21. Alex Neal-Bullen
22. Tom Lamb/Daniel McKenzie/Damian Cavka
41. Best Available

Scenario 2
1. Christian Petracca
21. Alex Neale-Bullen
22. Reece McKenzie
41. Best Available
Looks like Heraldsun flipped McCartin to No.1 BUT have not adjusted pick 21

saint4life
Sobraz
SS Life Member

lefty wrote: The problem I see for Paddy is his height. He is small at 194cm and will struggle against taller defenders IMO.
Riewoldt is 194. Roughead 193. Hogan, who would certainly go #1 this year and looks a monster is 194.

His height is perfect for the role he'll play.

spert
Saintsational Legend

If we are looking more at what recruit could excel in certain positions, then we would need to look midfield, as it was our biggest weakness all this season season- so start sorting that major issue out and the rest will follow in due course. I think also that Lamb should also be considered as I have a hunch that he could develop into a good forward.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

lefty wrote:Go with Petracca, he's a big unit. His older brother is very good as well, kills it.

I agree. We need to get a solid engine room (midfield) together before anything else. Petracca looks like a sure component of that and may be an opportunity lost if not selected. I think the focus on getting the foundations on a good forward line should come at the end of next season before Roo's final contracted year.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
maverick
Saintsational Legend

Funny, but when we rebuilt last time we took 2 big key forwards first then took quality mids.

Makes sense because talks need an extra year or two to develop.

I would go McCartin and hope petracca isn't dangerfield or riccuito.
Should be safe though he will go to Melbourne and they can't develop players!!

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Take note of my prophecy from a few pages ago. Two metre Peter is the man, as foretold be Emma Quayle.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:
lefty wrote: The problem I see for Paddy is his height. He is small at 194cm and will struggle against taller defenders IMO.
Riewoldt is 194. Roughead 193. Hogan, who would certainly go #1 this year and looks a monster is 194.

You aren't wrong but Rooey isn't a contested marking forward who uses height and weight to protect the drop zone. Rooey runs and marks out in front. Roughy is much more athletic than he looks, Paddy is more your old school out muscle style forward. That is the danger in him not making it. Fev was pretty small and went okay I guess. We are amassing a funny assortment of forwards at the moment. Lee and Spencer are slippery forwards that play smaller than they are, Members is small but plays tall, Paddy is probably in a similar boat to members then we have Markworth and Siposs as unknown quantities. We could have two undersized KPFs and two very oversized small forwards and some middle-sized wingers.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
Sobraz wrote:

You aren't wrong but Rooey isn't a contested marking forward who uses height and weight to protect the drop zone. Rooey runs and marks out in front. Roughy is much more athletic than he looks, Paddy is more your old school out muscle style forward. That is the danger in him not making it. Fev was pretty small and went okay I guess. We are amassing a funny assortment of forwards at the moment. Lee and Spencer are slippery forwards that play smaller than they are, Members is small but plays tall, Paddy is probably in a similar boat to members then we have Markworth and Siposs as unknown quantities. We could have two undersized KPFs and two very oversized small forwards and some middle-sized wingers.

I think most have said he is your lead up forward type. McCartin is not undersized. Maybe the other talls are oversized because apart from Buddy who plays small most of the real tall forwards haven't proven anything yet.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

From Emma Quayle's article:

"A poll of recruiters by Fairfax Media found an almost even split between those who in St Kilda's shoes would take the big-bodied, ready-to-go, can-do-it-all midfielder Petracca and those who would seize the powerful, strong-marking, genuine key forward McCartin."

So it's not exactly unanimous elsewhere. That said, I still think we should take mids ahead of forwards.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Bunk didn't your signature come from a quote of a bigfooty user? Who is the user and how are they authorised to provide the opinion you refer to?

#1 Ryder fan
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Interesting when you look at Hawthorns GF team from this year

Pure Forwards

Roughead - Pick 2
Gunston - pick 29 (Adelaide) then Hawks gave up pick 24, and a swap of Round 3 & 4 draft picks
Breust - pick 47 (Rookie Draft)
Puopolo - pick 66

Pure Backs

Lake - Pick 71 (Bullies) then Hawks gave up picks 21 & 41 but received pick 27 and Lake
Birchall - Pick 14
Stratton - Pick 46
Suckling - Pick 22 (Rookie Draft) and redrafted with Pick 81 (Rookie Draft)
Gibson - Pick 7 (Rookie Draft by North)) and Hawks gave up picks 25 & 41 and received 69 & Gibson
Spangher - Pick 34 (West coast) then Pick 73 (Sydney) then Hawks gave up pick 66

Mids/Utilities

Mitchell - Pick 36
Hodge - Pick 1
Lewis - Pick 7
Smith - Pick 19
Hill - pick 33
Langford - Pick 95 (Rookie Draft)
Burgoyne - Pick 12 (Port) the Hawks received thru a complicated deal involving 4 clubs
Rioli - Pick 12
Shiels - Pick 34
Duryea - Pick 69

Rucks

McEvoy - Pick 9 (Saints) then Hawks gave up Pick 19 and Savage
Hale - Pick 7 (North) then Hawks gave up end of 1st Round comp pick

From this you can see that Hawks have about 5 mids that were picked in the 1st draft round

Also they have 1 dominant forward at pick 2

Only 1 defender who was picked in the 1st draft round

and funny enough 2 rucks who were 1st round draft picks

So 9 of their 22 GF players were 1st round or end of 1st round draft picks

Can McCartin be our Roughead??

If there are no quality forwards coming thru the TAC Cup in the next few years and then maybe our guys are thinking lets take one now (a very good one) and splurge on Mids over the next few years

The questions needs to be asked what is the quality of Mids like coming thru the TAC cup in the next two years because surely we will have a top 5 pick in these drafts as our young guys are developing

Are these mids likely to be better than Petracca??

We most definitely need to be looking at the big picture

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

So its Faddy McCartin

Posting 20 years of holey crap!