Saints homeward bound!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saints homeward bound!!

We must get back to the JO without influence from Cricket.

Would be fantastic for the Club.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

I would expect that the AFL currently has serious concerns about our long term viability. The Saints are needed to shore up support for the AFL game, right down to the Peninsula and that is why they will be prepared to tip in some serious money. If that occurs, you would expect that the "deal" is supportive of the Saints presence there and that we will not be pushed aside.

There is a lot of water still to go under the bridge and I am not sure that the move has a great deal of new Gov't support - there is not a lot in it for them , with lots of "other" big spending priorities. We need to be at JO, but I think that a potential announcement is in a very delicate state and unlikely in the near term.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/s ... 7143741764
ST KILDA says it is still committed to an $11 million redevelopment of Moorabbin even if it can slingshot into cricket’s Junction Oval project.

The Saints will break away from the Sandringham Zebras and play a stand-alone VFL side at their old ground at Linton Street from 2017.

Moorabbin will also be home to TAC Cup side Sandringham, the Southern Football League and the South Metro Junior Football League.

St Kilda chief operating officer Ameet Bains said on Wednesday the Saints were confident they could join cricket in the Junction Oval redevelopment given continuing talks with the Labor government.

But an architect will be appointed by the City of Kingston for the Moorabbin development by January for a project to be completed by mid-2016.

The previous State Government allocated $8 million of funding for the project earlier this year.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

ST KILDA says it is still committed to an $11 million redevelopment of Moorabbin even if it can slingshot into cricket’s Junction Oval project....

The previous State Government allocated $8 million of funding for the project earlier this year.
So we've just 'made' $3 million outta that election result. 8-)

And whatever the outcome re JO, a continued strong presence at Moorabbin is very important. Also, some regular training sessions, promotions, whatever, at sites down the Bay... Seaford and beyond.

Maintain the presence! Maintain the faith!

Port to Portsea. One in five people support the mighty Saintas. (Was that the figure I read recently? Can anyone help?)

Moorabbin will also be home to TAC Cup side Sandringham, the Southern Football League and the South Metro Junior Football League.
And similarly, the money spent on our outer Siberian base camp won't go to waste when we move out. No shortage of organizations that will be able to put it to really good use... and keep the salt mines operating.

St Kilda chief operating officer Ameet Bains said on Wednesday the Saints were confident they could join cricket in the Junction Oval redevelopment given continuing talks with the Labor government.
Onya Bainsy! Onya Saintas!

Mutual synergy = mutual benefits. Win-win-win-win. 8-)

March 'em in Saintas!

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

If we did move to the JO I would strongly support intra club games in frankston and a community camp in Mornington every year.

70s sainter
Club Player

We ll be too busy doing our community work in n.z hoping that 5or 6 people might become members.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

70s sainter wrote:We ll be too busy doing our community work in n.z hoping that 5or 6 people might become members.

given that local media put out the GPS to find the players doing Community camp activities on the Peninsula yesterday..H-S opinion person mentioned that the reporter who did follow Saad to Hastings for photo op - submitted the story with a 'dateline' which is normally reserved for OVERSEAS stories.... He suggested the reporter needed to get out more..
. it doesn't matter what the saints do for Community- the Pies just need to walk in front of a hospital to get media.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:
70s sainter wrote:We ll be too busy doing our community work in n.z hoping that 5or 6 people might become members.

given that local media put out the GPS to find the players doing Community camp activities on the Peninsula yesterday..H-S opinion person mentioned that the reporter who did follow Saad to Hastings for photo op - submitted the story with a 'dateline' which is normally reserved for OVERSEAS stories.... He suggested the reporter needed to get out more..
. it doesn't matter what the saints do for Community- the Pies just need to walk in front of a hospital to get media.

Yep because that's just life. Forget about other clubs and the chip on your shoulder.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-12-06/s ... ot-praised

and those opposed to saints inclusion pop their heads up when funding is queried and doubts raised.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
avid
Club Player

saintbrat wrote:http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-12-06/s ... ot-praised

and those opposed to saints inclusion pop their heads up when funding is queried and doubts raised.

Watch this space.
Save Albert park has a lot of influence locally.

Those of us who want a saints homebase back at the Junction need to do three things:
1) lobby the local member (Martin Foley -- a saints fan by the way) to impress how keen we all are,
2) talk to people in any local groups and clubs you know to press the pro-Saints idea
3) talk to the StK club to make sure what we're planning to do there fully respects the park and its users, and will bring positive benefits to the neighbouring community (including St Kilda Park Primary School, St Kilda Cricket Club, local business, local people, etc).

If we don't start a defence like this now, the whole thing could quickly run away from us.

8bloggs
Club Player

Anyone know the reasons why the local community groups mentioned in the Herald Sun are opposed to us returning to the JO?

70s sainter
Club Player

prob cause they ask them if they re in favour of losing an oval thats open to the public, an extra 50 cars in the park, trees cut down , less room to sit on a rug and eat yoghurt.
So basically everyone says no when asked except for saints supporters.
"save our park" prob has about 10 members

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

They lack first world problems.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
stinger
Saintsational Legend

70s sainter wrote:prob cause they ask them if they re in favour of losing an oval thats open to the public, an extra 50 cars in the park, trees cut down , less room to sit on a rug and eat yoghurt.

chardonny sipping arsewipes....have tried to sink the grand prix ever since we pinched it from struggle town.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
70s sainter wrote:prob cause they ask them if they re in favour of losing an oval thats open to the public, an extra 50 cars in the park, trees cut down , less room to sit on a rug and eat yoghurt.
chardonny sipping arsewipes....have tried to sink the grand prix ever since we pinched it from struggle town.....
Fair enough too. Ridiculous waste of cash.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

avid wrote:
saintbrat wrote:http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-12-06/s ... ot-praised
Watch this space.
Save Albert park has a lot of influence locally.

Those of us who want a saints homebase back at the Junction need to do three things:
1) lobby the local member (Martin Foley -- a saints fan by the way) to impress how keen we all are,
2) talk to people in any local groups and clubs you know to press the pro-Saints idea
3) talk to the StK club to make sure what we're planning to do there fully respects the park and its users, and will bring positive benefits to the neighbouring community (including St Kilda Park Primary School, St Kilda Cricket Club, local business, local people, etc).

If we don't start a defence like this now, the whole thing could quickly run away from us.
Great post Avid!

Whilst annoying, this opposition has the benefit of keeping us focused on the importance of becoming imbedded in the community, as an integral member, one that contributes positively to the suburb (and surrounds) of iconic St Kilda. I don't know what their objections are, but we can make the case to them of the positive benefits and synergies of St Kilda footy club returning to St Kilda. Plenty of local community groups, and the Fitzroy Street traders already know the benefits...

Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
karnak
Club Player

Has there been any more news?

Sam Gilbert you are an EXCITEMENT MACHINE!
stinger
Saintsational Legend

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/st-ki ... 24vuo.html

"He urged the state government to take a stand against any intimidating behaviour and stand-over tactics at St Kilda venues.

"Any sort of intimidating behaviour we do not want to see and will not tolerate," he said.

"We just want to make sure that the government has on its agenda that any intimidating behaviour . . . is stamped out."

.......great place st kilda.......thugs, omg's, stand over merchants.......nothing much ever changes....

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/st-ki ... 24vuo.html

"He urged the state government to take a stand against any intimidating behaviour and stand-over tactics at St Kilda venues.

"Any sort of intimidating behaviour we do not want to see and will not tolerate," he said.

"We just want to make sure that the government has on its agenda that any intimidating behaviour . . . is stamped out."

.......great place st kilda.......thugs, omg's, stand over merchants.......nothing much ever changes....
I'm not getting your point here, Sting. :?

Whilst not a good thing, it involves one single venue, that just happens to be in St Kilda. Coulda' happened pretty much anywhere. I reckon you'd need a lot more incidents than that to be able to make a case. King Street on the other hand...

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:

Whilst not a good thing, it involves one single venue, that just happens to be in St Kilda. Coulda' happened pretty much anywhere. I reckon you'd need a lot more incidents than that to be able to make a case. King Street on the other hand...

it's been that way since i was a kid dave....pimps, whores, street muggins bashings...a hang out for thugs and gangs............st kilda has always been a sleazy suburb

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
Dave McNamara wrote:

it's been that way since i was a kid dave....pimps, whores, street muggins bashings...a hang out for thugs and gangs............st kilda has always been a sleazy suburb
I'm guessing you haven't spent much time there in the last 20 years.

Bad stuff happens everywhere.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/law-or ... 7068285442
BTW do we still play Hawthorn for the Silk-Miller cup?

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
loris
Saintsational Legend

Davey Mac. You should get a copy of Brian Matthews 'A Fine and Private Place'. It's a wonderful tome of the suburb of St Kilda from the 1940's up to maybe the early 2000's. Can't quite recall the decade Brian finished his musings on life in St Kilda, someone I lent my copy of the book never returned it.

Matthews is a rabid Saints supporter and a wonderful wordsmith, delivers great imagery of streets, architecture and characters who frequented the suburb over the years. Traces his life from a small boy living in 'naughty' St Kilda and the joys and heartbreak/frustrations of being a Sainter.

I can recall going into some of his lectures at Melbourne Uni - even tho I wasn't enrolled in his subjects - just to soak up his stories. He was a real raconteur, and attracted quite a lot of students who hung on his every word. One could call it a 'cult following' I s'pose. I'm sure other academics in the Arts Faculty who had lectures timetabled the same time as Matthews, found their lectures weren't well attended when Brian held forth.

He is well retired now, last I heard he was living somewhere in South Australia and a few years back I call recall he was still writing a monthly column for Eureka Street........................ is Eureka Street still spewing forth.... I don't know????????

His musings on the suburb of St Kilda is a must read for anyone who wants a most passionate take on a unique old suburb.

I'm sure Davey Mac your local library will be able to source a copy for you to read. This has prompted me to contact my wonderful bookshop Boffins here in Perth to see if his book is still in print. Must have my own copy again.

Also another of his books worth a read is one on the MCG............... can't quite recall its title at the moment......... its hidden gathering dust in one of my many bookshelves............. title is something like 'The Paddock on the Hill'............... I'll let you know correct title when I find it........... or remember it. Gee this getting old, really puts a strain on the memory cells!!!!

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Yep great read Loris, but that is not St Kilda today.
Most of the trendies in St Kilda today are only interested in whether or not their dealer is still in business. The place is also full of tourists, who don't know why they're there, and wouldn't have a clue who the Saints are.

I've read many books about suburbs of Melbourne, and most of them bring back great memories of surviving the 50s, 60s and 70s. They all bear no resemblance to life in those suburbs today.

We should steer well clear of the Junction Oval, the new home of Cricket Victoria!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
avid
Club Player

I read Brian Matthews' "Oval Dreams" about 20 years ago. From memory it was all about growing up in St Kilda near the Junction Oval -- although the description of the book on the internet suggests a broader topic.
I remember loving it.

What's all this bitterness about St Kilda being full of tourists? It has been for more than a hundred years. It's got other lives and histories too. Probably a bit more richer and varied than most places.
I adore Mathews' depiction of the tragedy of life of an ever-hopeful child in St Kilda in the 1950s. But it's not like I want to return to the good ol' days. St Kilda the way it is today is still quite different from most places.

minneapolis
Club Player

Avid,

I grew up in St Kilda. Came home from the hospital as a baby and lived there all my life until I move away in my 20's. Six years with the Current Buns and six years with the child molesters called Christian Brothers (Just joking - well nearly). Absolutely loved the place and feel extremely privileged to have had that childhood. Beach , Luna Park, Monkey Bums at Peanut Farm, The Esplanade before the market, wobbling along the freezing fence at St Moritz, being chucked in at The Jetty and learning to swim that way, the trams and the train station in Fitzroy Street to the City, again every single summer day at the beach and never got tired of it, later walking to the pubs in Inkerman St and well lots of other pubs, playing football at Elwood Park, dirt bomb fights among the roses at Blessington Street Gardens, exploring the storm water drains on our bikes for hours until we got hungry and went home, death defying kick the kick on our narrow suburban street before speed bumps were invented how nobody got hit is a miracle, selling papers on a corner and getting amazing tips from drunk friendly dudes, Acland Street for hot chocolate when we were old enough to have money, sneaking in to the upstairs RSL Club in Acland Street and being amazed at the size of the pool tables, waiting till three quarter time at the JO and getting in for free and squirming up to the boundary line and watching Carl Ditterich lumber towards you with filthy bandages starting to come undone from both his knees, Well the list is endless.

People who grew up in St Kilda never believed that it was a sleazy suburb. Lots of friendly genuine people and the trouble always came from outside people. We always felt sorry for the people who lived in the outer suburbs with no colour.

Thanks for the tip Avid. I just ordered that book from Amazon and will enjoy it over the Holidays.

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.