We need to embrace New Zealand.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: We need to embrace New Zealand.

Ill say one thing. There were plenty of people on SS 12 months ago saying the US training trip wasnt a great idea but a NZ training camp was a great idea. Certainly that has worked out. So well done SS!

loris
Saintsational Legend

#gosaintas wrote:
citywest wrote:
#gosaintas wrote:We went last year to Wellington and it was great fun. Crap game but a fun few days. Lots of sainters walking around in the gear and a great atmosphere in the city.

Will prob go every year
That sounds very encouraging #gosaintas. Do you think the locals will get on board and maybe buy a membership eventually?
Yeah I do - we sat with a bunch of young maoris and they were having a ball. About 20 of them, all young, shirts off and asking us all the rules. At one stage I yelled that Merret was a dog and it was all..."why do you call him dog, bro" from then on they were into Merrett, calling him a dog and whatever else they could think of. A pretty unique experience.

Restaurant owners were rapt, hotels were full, pubs were busy, I reckon it will work well. We need 2 games there. One has to be against an interstate side so flights are not so stretched. There were heaps of brisb supporters walking around town too.

Definitely worth a trip and Wellington is a cool little town
Agree 'gosaints' possibly need 2 games there. We found most places we went to (decked in our Saints colours) around Wellington, the workers in the local shops, restaurants etc were pleased to see us and interested to talk about the game. Many told us they had been the year before out of curiosity and thought it was a good spectacle.

I noticed the locals at the game appeared to be predominately males aged 20-26, mostly maori/pacific islanders, who really seemed to enjoy the contest. They didn't care who was winning, just got very involved and cheering when either side scored a goal.

I was telling Peter Summers our President recently that it was disappointing the lack of NZ families in attendance at the NZ game. We thought the main reason, it was school holidays and many families could have been away, and also it being a night match. That will always be a problem when the ANZAC Day falls during the school holiday period. Summers said the idea of a second game was being mooted with the AFL away from school holiday time.

Also this year there was a major Rugby match on the following day. A few locals that went to see the Saints/Swans Anzac game the previous year, told us they weren't going to the match this year because of the rugby game and it was too costly to go to both matches.

Even when we left Wellington and went visiting one of my favourite 'Art Deco' towns - Napier - there was still plenty of interest and knowledge from locals there about the match that had been played on ANZAC Day.

The focus on the school kids IMO is a must to really get game off the ground in the future in NZ. Which the Saints have been doing, plus moving the game next year to a more family friendly time.

citywest

Great post Loris!!!!
Assuming we start playing 2 games in NZ each year, do you think 10,000 signed up members in the next 10 years is achievable?
For the record, I believe it is.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:Great post Loris!!!!
Assuming we start playing 2 games in NZ each year, do you think 10,000 signed up members in the next 10 years is achievable?

It is actually not even one in a million chance. Well not unless membership is free.

loris
Saintsational Legend

Well sorry I think you maybe rather optimistic there "citywest"..................... still I prefer people to see the world through a half full glass than a half empty glass.......... and that includes us Saint supporters :wink: Unless we are the former, most don't last being Saint supporters over the long haul IMHO :wink: :wink: :wink:

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:

It is actually not even one in a million chance. Well not unless membership is free.
Now there's an idea! Free memberships! Might have to run that past the club. Imagine how many members we'd have then :D

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
asiu
Saintsational Legend

... what we actually need is a Supporters Badge
3 (slightly different) styles

$10 , $100 'n $1000

there's supposably 200,000 of us.

... work it out yourselves.

Sell it properly 'n Sainters everywhere will respond.

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
asiu
Saintsational Legend

now that we've fixed that issue ,
could someone please tell me where our Reserves squad materialises from.
... ta in advance.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

oh yea.
'n who signed us up to the deal at the Dome ?

asiu
Saintsational Legend

... and besides that , there's this
http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2014-12-1 ... in/5966008

as in our opening in enzed
.. the women playing 'n enjoying themselves
(being watched by their sons on the boundary line)
sorta works out.

... mumma wont be ( cant be) making the kids play soccer
when she doesnt.

good job , well done , imo.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Ill say one thing. There were plenty of people on SS 12 months ago saying the US training trip wasnt a great idea but a NZ training camp was a great idea. Certainly that has worked out. So well done SS!
What do you base that on?

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
citywest

Irrespective of whether we are able to achieve 10,000 kiwi based members or not it doesn't matter. All we can do is give it our best shot and see where it leads to. I'm hoping that we play 2 home games per year plus a NAB cup game. We also need to continue with our training camps and visiting schools as well.

I noticed on saints.com.au the players visited Eden Park http://www.saints.com.au/video/2014-12- ... -park-tour

I don't know if the ground can be re-configured for AFL but if it can we should definitely play 1 of our 2 home games there.

Auckland Population 2014

The 2014 population of 1.42 million in Auckland accounts for 32% of the country's population. The Auckland Council area has a larger population estimated at 1.53 million and it is part of the larger Auckland Region, which includes many rural towns and areas to the south, along with the islands of the Hauraki Gulf. The urban population density is 1,300 people per square kilometre, or 3,300 per square mile.

While 70% of the Auckland area is rural, 90% of Aucklanders live in urban areas.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:Irrespective of whether we are able to achieve 10,000 kiwi based members or not it doesn't matter. All we can do is give it our best shot and see where it leads to. I'm hoping that we play 2 home games per year plus a NAB cup game. We also need to continue with our training camps and visiting schools as well.

I noticed on saints.com.au the players visited Eden Park http://www.saints.com.au/video/2014-12- ... -park-tour

I don't know if the ground can be re-configured for AFL but if it can we should definitely play 1 of our 2 home games there.

Auckland Population 2014

The 2014 population of 1.42 million in Auckland accounts for 32% of the country's population. The Auckland Council area has a larger population estimated at 1.53 million and it is part of the larger Auckland Region, which includes many rural towns and areas to the south, along with the islands of the Hauraki Gulf. The urban population density is 1,300 people per square kilometre, or 3,300 per square mile.

While 70% of the Auckland area is rural, 90% of Aucklanders live in urban areas.

Im not sure if you are continuing to play dumb or just cant read but the Eden Park ground could never be used for AFL footy. Its the wrong shape so no matter how many times you mention playing there the ground will continue to be the wrong shape. If we ever plays 2 games in NZ they will be in Wellington and that will require the Wellington council chipping in another 500K which is probably very doubtful unless we get more people travelling over to NZ.

citywest

Show me definitive proof that the ground can not be re-configured for AFL Plugger and then I'll believe you.
Actually plugger66, don't bother, I have now placed you on my Foe list.
Last edited by citywest on Sun 14 Dec 2014 5:46pm, edited 2 times in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:Show me definitive roof that the ground can not be re-configured for AFL Plugger and then I'll believe you.

Look at the size and shape. It isn't that hard because I gather you do have the internet. I also gather you understand what is a reasonable ground size for AFL footy.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
citywest wrote:Show me definitive roof that the ground can not be re-configured for AFL Plugger and then I'll believe you.

Look at the size and shape. It isn't that hard because I gather you do have the internet. I also gather you understand what is a reasonable ground size for AFL footy.
I've posted this before CW, so don't pretend you don't know that the ground is completely unsuitable for AFL. The dimensions are 130 long by 100 wide. The authorities are even debating whether it's still suitable for cricket for the World Cup. It's basically a rectangle set up for rugby and soccer. I've previously invited you to google arial photos of it to show how unsuitable it is for AFL. You couldn't even play u/15's on it. You do like to carry on with your bullsh@te. No wonder people accuse you of being a troll.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
citywest

White Winmar also added to Foe List.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

citywest wrote:Show me definitive proof that the ground can not be re-configured for AFL Plugger and then I'll believe you.
Hi CW, firstly, the foe-list thing is a bit difficult... on the off chance P66 actually came up with something definitive... I'm mean, there is precedence. :wink:

That said, the 'G is 171m(goal line to goal line)*146m, (the too small IMHO) SCG is 151*136m, and WW has posted Eden Park as 130*100m. (I found 16,000 sq m quoted, which at best would be something like 160*100m, but that's a ridulous fence to fence.

There was recent talk of building a new ground... ironically by their docks, but that hasn't happened.

So whilst I agree with you re two NZ home games, and better still, a game or two in Auckland... currently they don't actually have a suitable ground real footy over in Auckland. (Why to you think so many Kiwis come over to Oz? :lol: )

Eventual ideal world would be something like, home games as follows... 2 Wellington, 2 Auckland, 1 MCG, and (you guessed it) 6 at Funky Town JO ( 8-) ).

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
citywest

Dave McNamara wrote:
citywest wrote:Show me definitive proof that the ground can not be re-configured for AFL Plugger and then I'll believe you.
Hi CW, firstly, the foe-list thing is a bit difficult... on the off chance P66 actually came up with something definitive... I'm mean, there is precedence. :wink:

That said, the 'G is 171m(goal line to goal line)*146m, (the too small IMHO) SCG is 151*136m, and WW has posted Eden Park as 130*100m. (I found 16,000 sq m quoted, which at best would be something like 160*100m, but that's a ridulous fence to fence.

There was recent talk of building a new ground... ironically by their docks, but that hasn't happened.

So whilst I agree with you re two NZ home games, and better still, a game or two in Auckland... currently they don't actually have a suitable ground real footy over in Auckland. (Why to you think so many Kiwis come over to Oz? :lol: )

Eventual ideal world would be something like, home games as follows... 2 Wellington, 2 Auckland, 1 MCG, and (you guessed it) 6 at Funky Town JO ( 8-) ).
Correction...ideal world in my book would be as follows.....1 Nab cup game alternating between Wellington and Auckland each year, Anzac Day home game in Wellington and 1 home game later in the season in Auckland (assuming the ground can be re-configured. The rest of the jigsaw would be relocate our training base to JO and Saints VFL team based at Moorabbin. :D

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Well no-one can accuse you of lacking ambition citywest.

70s sainter
Club Player

Cw for someone who claims 10000 nz members is achievable you really couldn't have given this much thought or even done the maths.
How much would a kiwi pay to become a member if you got your two games in Wellington ? $20 ? $40 ?
So say the saints got $25 from each of the 10 000 members that would be 250 grand.

And if the saints get around $100 off each melbourne based member you would only need 2500 members to match it.
........ So why the hell would you concentrate on trying to convert rugby fans in another country to afl and barrack for the saints to squeeze a miserly amount of money out of them for a year or two (especially when it damages the membership package for the melbourne based members) when you already have a massive fan base back in melbourne who just need a little co ersing.

You are barking up the wrong tree. I'm glad you don't make any decisions at the club cause then we would be well and truly finished.

miskycat
Club Player

Totally agree 70s Sainter

The NZ push is a big fat waste of time and energy.

Annoys current fans like me who hate the fact that we've had to sell our home games to NZ. Strangely, I'd rather be able to go and watch my team when it's a home game.
Not a chance in hell of ever converting the rugby mad to our game.
Embarrassing and futile in all ways.

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

we were there last year and no doubting that the atmosphere was really super. my kiwi mates were a bit enthralled and were saying it would go down so much better if played during the day. so I expect next year will generate a decent crowd. reckon best to keep it Wellington.
the morning before the game watching the players warm up I was chatting to a Kiwi bloke who was asking loads of questions. he seemed bemused how slight they all were. so not so much threatened just curious.
good for tourism NZ as they can boast an AFL game.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:

Ideal for who. That is officially the stupidest thing said on here and you have a lot to beat considering the last year of your posts. However I will play your game. How many people do you think the JO would have to hold to play 6 games there? What happens if we are on top of the ladder and we play Richmond, who are second at the JO and only 12k can attend. Yep that's good for us and footy. Not. Grow up Dave. I certainly don't one game at the JO let alone 6. The ideal fixture for me is 2 or 3 home games at the G and 8 or 9 at Etihad because Etihad is a fantastic ground when your side is winning or do we have short term memory issues with the likes of the Essendon and Lions games from years gone by.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:White Winmar also added to Foe List.
And I've added you to my moron list.

You clearly are a bit slow up top and fail to understand that if you make a rectangle into an oval the width of the Oval is constrained by the width of the rectangle.

Maybe suggest the Eden Park games are played as 15 a side not 18 due to very small wings.

I'm sure that will be a winner!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.