Saints homeward bound!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saints homeward bound!!

Cricket Victoria can go and f*** themselves.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Why? Why blame Cricket Victoria? Why shouldn't they want a cricket-only training facility?

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

so we are no longer homeward bound ? bad news...hopefully in the future we are.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

So football has kicked cricket off a ground for once. So are the MCG going to change their name to the MFG?

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
tony74
SS Hall of Fame

Absolutely no need to be alarmed. We just needed the funds from the govt to get Junction Oval started. That's now going to happen so we have our foot about to poke itself just in the door. Don't believe everything you hear from Daniel or the cricket heavies.
" There will be no carbon tax in a government I will lead"

We're only at the start of the road. The Saints will will get there Mr. McNamara!

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

tony74 wrote:Absolutely no need to be alarmed. We just needed the funds from the govt to get Junction Oval started. That's now going to happen so we have our foot about to poke itself just in the door. Don't believe everything you hear from Daniel or the cricket heavies.

We're only at the start of the road. The Saints will will get there Mr. McNamara!
Thanks for the update Tony.

But please, don't set Dave off again..........

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote:Absolutely no need to be alarmed. We just needed the funds from the govt to get Junction Oval started. That's now going to happen so we have our foot about to poke itself just in the door. Don't believe everything you hear from Daniel or the cricket heavies.

As you seem to go to training a bit I gather you occasionally speak to players. Can you tell us the benefits the players think they will get training over the road from the junction oval? And if we don't get money off the government obviously we need to build our own facilities which is probably close to 25 million. How do we afford that where is the room for that if CV have already built their facilities. It makes no sense why there would be 2 different facilities and makes even less sense why CV would us us their facilities when we aren't part of the deal.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

As you seem to go to training a bit I gather you occasionally speak to players. Can you tell us the benefits the players think they will get training over the road from the junction oval? And if we don't get money off the government obviously we need to build our own facilities which is probably close to 25 million. How do we afford that where is the room for that if CV have already built their facilities. It makes no sense why there would be 2 different facilities and makes even less sense why CV would us us their facilities when we aren't part of the deal.
Plugger, I think it's called politics and it NEVER makes sense !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

I think the answer lies somewhere in the area of compromise and sharing resources and facilities.

Firstly IMO the Junction Oval Precinct will NOT become our sole training facility with Seaford and Moorabbin used as well to create different training options. The Junction Oval may become a "recovery centre" but I think mostly that the Junction Oval precinct will be a corporate centre for the club with key marketing and merchandise established there as well as a social club with corporate entertainment facilities that overlook Albert Park and the city.

My guess is that CV still need to find $15m for the full facility they desire.

The AFL have $10m assigned as soon as they are happy with the deal.

I am guessing the hope is to find the extra $5m through a major catering deal that will have a long license to operate the function centre. With Grand Prix as a bonus only - a function centre that overlooks over Albert Park and the city would work.

Cricket Victoria may actually benefit from some of the resources that become available to them in a co-development - I sm guessing stuff such as our training, dieticians, sports science, medical and Physio resources would be of some benefit to CV and having the addition of corporate entertainment facilities would be beneficial to both organisations.

CV could go alone and build an inferior $25m cricket facility but they will be much better off with a $40m shared facility.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote:I think the answer lies somewhere in the area of compromise and sharing resources and facilities.

Firstly IMO the Junction Oval Precinct will NOT become our sole training facility with Seaford and Moorabbin used as well to create different training options. The Junction Oval may become a "recovery centre" but I think mostly that the Junction Oval precinct will be a corporate centre for the club with key marketing and merchandise established there as well as a social club with corporate entertainment facilities that overlook Albert Park and the city.

My guess is that CV still need to find $15m for the full facility they desire.

The AFL have $10m assigned as soon as they are happy with the deal.

I am guessing the hope is to find the extra $5m through a major catering deal that will have a long license to operate the function centre. With Grand Prix as a bonus only - a function centre that overlooks over Albert Park and the city would work.

Cricket Victoria may actually benefit from some of the resources that become available to them in a co-development - I sm guessing stuff such as our training, dieticians, sports science, medical and Physio resources would be of some benefit to CV and having the addition of corporate entertainment facilities would be beneficial to both organisations.

CV could go alone and build an inferior $25m cricket facility but they will be much better off with a $40m shared facility.

How does the social club work? Is it shared with CV or is there a hand over date? I cant see 2 different identities working out of the same building. And does training at 3 different places really work?

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Agree plugger. Too much duplication

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Social Clubs works exactly the same way it works at Etihad and MCG. Shared facility operated by a catering entity. Although this facility would be perfect for corporate entertaining sponsors AND with views of the lake and city would be in demand for weddings and similar life functions.

As for training - we already use multiple facilities. Great for keeping things fresh. Collingwood use multiple facilities too.

I see Junction Oval as a possible recovery centre. Used pre and post ocean dips etc. Seaford would remain the main training centre in an ideal world. Moorabbin could also be used for variety.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote:Social Clubs works exactly the same way it works at Etihad and MCG. Shared facility operated by a catering entity. Although this facility would be perfect for corporate entertaining sponsors AND with views of the lake and city would be in demand for weddings and similar life functions.

As for training - we already use multiple facilities. Great for keeping things fresh. Collingwood use multiple facilities too.

I see Junction Oval as a possible recovery centre. Used pre and post ocean dips etc. Seaford would remain the main training centre in an ideal world. Moorabbin could also be used for variety.

Yep and Etihad make the money of that social club. Who makes our money at the JO? And how much would this building cost. Sounds very expensive. Much more than what they are offering at the moment even if the AFL kick in. And why would the AFL kick in now. They have got what they wanted. And if they did kick in why would they agree to make it a recovery place only. Doesn't it make more sense to do all of this at Moorabbin where the pokies are. That may also increase the pokie revenue and we would make all the profits of the social club.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote:Social Clubs works exactly the same way it works at Etihad and MCG. Shared facility operated by a catering entity. Although this facility would be perfect for corporate entertaining sponsors AND with views of the lake and city would be in demand for weddings and similar life functions.

The sooner we piss off the Seaford mistake the better.
If you had a developed Moorabbin and the junction then Seaford is surplus

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Lots of posts from this thread have been moved to the animal enclosure and warnings have been issued to Con Gorozidis and Plugger66. Try to argue the point not attack the poster.
Vigorous debate and friendly banter on St. Kilda Football Club matters is encouraged, as long as there is respect for each other’s opinions. No matter how much you disagree, or dismiss the worth of any opinion posted, or dismiss the worth of the poster in your eyes, your response must be respectful. Argue the facts. Post an opposing opinion. Do NOT make commentary about the poster - ONLY the post. If you tease, mock or bait another poster, or abuse them, OR repeatedly revisit past disagreements causing or creating an ongoing dispute between one or more posters, this is regarded as a breach of rules in the Fan Forum and will result in the issuing of a Saintsational warning. Such ongoing disputes can result in multiple breaches and can result in multiple Saintsational warnings.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:Lots of posts from this thread have been moved to the animal enclosure and warnings have been issued to Con Gorozidis and Plugger66. Try to argue the point not attack the poster.
Vigorous debate and friendly banter on St. Kilda Football Club matters is encouraged, as long as there is respect for each other’s opinions. No matter how much you disagree, or dismiss the worth of any opinion posted, or dismiss the worth of the poster in your eyes, your response must be respectful. Argue the facts. Post an opposing opinion. Do NOT make commentary about the poster - ONLY the post. If you tease, mock or bait another poster, or abuse them, OR repeatedly revisit past disagreements causing or creating an ongoing dispute between one or more posters, this is regarded as a breach of rules in the Fan Forum and will result in the issuing of a Saintsational warning. Such ongoing disputes can result in multiple breaches and can result in multiple Saintsational warnings.

Yep from 4 days ago. But having read the rest I that thread now I can really see who warned me. And it wasn't you Kosi.

Ps I will continue to attack a poster personally if they do it first. The other option is to dob people in or ignore. Neither are in my make up.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

For what it's worth, I think that if a way can be found to revisit the concept of a redeveloped Moorabbin, then this could provide us with a good HQ/Training base/Social club complex. However, it would need to be thoroughly and painstakingly thought through, no knee jerk exercises simply to satisfy a "feelgood whim or fad". I confess that I'm not in FULL possession of all the facts, but my belief is that we have a 99 year lease on the Moorabbin property, thus having a bit of ownership and control there. If the Kingston Council, State Government and AFL can find a way to work WITH the club, then we are starting from a good spot. I would LOVE to see (over a period of time) Moorabbin become our home base again, with state of the art training facilities, and an oval where our reserves could play (bringing in revenue) Another option (IMHO) worth exploring would be an entertainment venue/Social club (obviously with strict conditions regarding the impact on local residents) The potential for bringing in revenue from screening interstate games in a nice venue can't be ignored. A function room/conference centre is another way to utilize buildings to bring in extra revenue. Junction Oval was left behind over fifty years ago;unless there is a deal with IRONCLAD benefits for our club, then I'd let Cricket Victoria go for their life.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Yep and Etihad make the money of that social club. Who makes our money at the JO? And how much would this building cost. Sounds very expensive. Much more than what they are offering at the moment even if the AFL kick in. And why would the AFL kick in now. They have got what they wanted. And if they did kick in why would they agree to make it a recovery place only. Doesn't it make more sense to do all of this at Moorabbin where the pokies are. That may also increase the pokie revenue and we would make all the profits of the social club.
The catering enterprise invests and gains a financial return on the venue.

No investment by the club and no return - just priority access to the facility.

Although if they did invest they may get a return.

Never said it was revenue raising for the club other than any mark up - similar to functions held at Crown or other venues down at Docklands etc.

However it would give us an independent structure at the Ian Johson Oval in the Junction Oval precinct with offices an possibly amateur level change rooms downstairs entered from the oval and the function centre upstairs with entry via Fitzroy Street and Lakeside Drive.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

BackFromUSA wrote:... Cricket Victoria may actually benefit from some of the resources that become available to them in a co-development - I sm guessing stuff such as our training, dieticians, sports science, medical and Physio resources would be of some benefit to CV and having the addition of corporate entertainment facilities would be beneficial to both organisations.

This!

Mutual synergies for mutual benefits. Win-win. :idea:

You still can't play centre wicket turf cricket in the Melbs' winter, so why would the fabulous JO playing surface suddenly be sitting unused in winter??? Footy is played there now, and the pitch is good enough to host a Sheffield Shield final.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Thanks tony. :D

We shall keep the faith.

Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:Cricket Victoria can go and f*** themselves.
Agreed. :evil:

What idiots!

Keeping us out will cost them tens of millions in extra funding for extra facilities. They will also lose the opportunity for cross pollination of ideas, contacts, sponsors, foot traffic through the venue, media coverage...

And for what...?

I'm really looking forward to watching 'em play centre wicket turf cricket in July. Imagine a cricket ball smacking into you (as a batsman or fielder)... in wind chill factor zero degrees... :roll:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

The catering enterprise invests and gains a financial return on the venue.

No investment by the club and no return - just priority access to the facility.

Although if they did invest they may get a return.

Never said it was revenue raising for the club other than any mark up - similar to functions held at Crown or other venues down at Docklands etc.

However it would give us an independent structure at the Ian Johson Oval in the Junction Oval precinct with offices an possibly amateur level change rooms downstairs entered from the oval and the function centre upstairs with entry via Fitzroy Street and Lakeside Drive.
You are living in fantasyland. We aren't going to get something built outside the JO. And why would we want others to make a profit on our supporters if we went to all that trouble.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:Cricket Victoria can go and f*** themselves.
Agreed. :evil:

What idiots!

Keeping us out will cost them tens of millions in extra funding for extra facilities. They will also lose the opportunity for cross pollination of ideas, contacts, sponsors, foot traffic through the venue, media coverage...

And for what...?

I'm really looking forward to watching 'em play centre wicket turf cricket in July. Imagine a cricket ball smacking into you (as a batsman or fielder)... in wind chill factor zero degrees... :roll:

Repeating yourself a hundred times doesnt make you right, it makes you wrong 100 times. Why would CV give 2 hoots about us being involved especially as you think that we will eventually play on the ground. That is the last thing they want. Im completely with CV on this.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

I see where you're coming from, P66, but I get the feeling that Gillon the saint wants us to have a presence there. If we are to believe that he was behind Matt Finnis' appointment, and that he wants us to be a strong and competitive club with a high profile, then I can see him lobbying the government, CV and other stakeholders. In fact I think the lobbying part of things would've started straight after the election. Moorabbin and the JO represent our future. Seaford should be jettisoned as soon as possible. What a catastrophe that move has been.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:I see where you're coming from, P66, but I get the feeling that Gillon the saint wants us to have a presence there. If we are to believe that he was behind Matt Finnis' appointment, and that he wants us to be a strong and competitive club with a high profile, then I can see him lobbying the government, CV and other stakeholders. In fact I think the lobbying part of things would've started straight after the election. Moorabbin and the JO represent our future. Seaford should be jettisoned as soon as possible. What a catastrophe that move has been.

Why has it been a bad move though? Because we are no good? We would have been no good anywhere. We would have lost sponsorship anywhere because of all the bad publicity we had. We would have lost members anywhere because we went to the bottom of the ladder. I honestly dont care where we train. Nothing but winning is the magical cure. If we go to the ground over the road from the junction oval they aren't going to build a big social club there. Probably not allowed anyway. If we have to move from Seaford, and im yet to understand why, then Moorabbin makes much more sense. We would get 100% of the profits and we wouldn't be the poor second cousin to CV because lets face it the ground will be fixed for them. We can already see we are the after thoughts by the fact they aren't thinking of us at all at the moment.