Welcome back Ahmed Saad

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Re: Welcome back Ahmed Saad

White Winmar wrote:There doesn't seem to be the same emphasis on being "two-sided" these days. I think it stems from the modern game style. If in trouble these days, you just go onto your natural side and chip it back and across, something that was sacrilegious in the 80's and 90's. In those days it seemed everyone was at least adequate on the non-preferred side. Some, such as Leon Cameron were almost superior on the left. I remember, even in the ammos, we devoted a lot of time working on the non-preferred side. Rarely see players yes it these days.

I think the double sided thing has become overstated. If you are an average player with a one sided game you are going to struggle if you can play to a high standard on one side you can still be a superstar. It's one of those accepted pieces of knowledge that people believe with out looking at the actual evidence. There are some players who never used their non preferred foot and are considered legends. You obviously need to be able to dish off but not many need to kick 60 meters on their non preferred with accuracy.

The evidence people used for CJ and Gilbert being poor on their NPF was pretty scant. Clint was inconsistent on both feet and was usually because he was playing in tight often rushing disposal where Gilbert would often misfire after drawing a player out to him to buy time for the forwards to set up across half forward. Goddard was able to have a lot more time to pick out a kick because of his role as a quarter back type.

IanRush
SS Hall of Fame

HI all,
M<y personal view that is Saad got shafted, especially when you look at the Essendon (and Collingwood??) players.

USELESS FACT: The WADA case against Essendon (in Sydney as well) is exactly 10 years to the day that Australia qualified for the 2006 FIFA World Cup.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

IanRush wrote:HI all,
M<y personal view that is Saad got shafted, especially when you look at the Essendon (and Collingwood??) players.

No he got the correct penalty. We don't know the result of the Dons yet. No idea what the pies did.

Megamaguire
Club Player

Goals Ahmed Goals !

I have to say the asada version of correct refered to their attempt to push Saad's punisment upto 100% of what they could apply. In otherwords the 'maximum' penalty. Part of the way through Saad's ban asada sought to increase their own ban.
The impression of arbitrariness asada created with this type of headline-grabbing behaviour only makes them look like they are making up policy on the run.

Many felt this Saad maximum penaly issue had become a strategy for Asada to attract more media attention but at the expense of Ahmed Saad. Many felt the asada pursuit of maximum penalty was way out of whack simply in regard to natural justice never mind the suddeness of the demand for a maximum penalty.

The afl didn't think this was a balanced approach and disagreed with asada.
Afterall if it ever is accepted that the syringe indulging regime @ essendon was worse than Saad's behaviour what higher penalty would be left to apply to those that supplied and those that used the syringe cocktail repeatedly at essendon?

I thought one full season or 12 monthes enough of a reprimand for Saad.

Now that the asada spectre has moved on from our club I'm hoping Ahmed takes his opportunity with both hands.

G O S A I N T S ! :D

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
The Redeemer
SS Life Member

To me he plays Round 1. Furthermore he has enough life left in him to be of use as ideally we rise up the ladder.