St Kilda announcement - Tues morning - Dare

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Re: St Kilda announcement - Tues morning - Dare

james rose wrote: Just offering friendly feedback ay.

Surely the first post deserved a warning too?
Response moved to Admin Forum - Nic discussion thread

loris
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:Just bought a Dare iced coffee / mocha. Very tasty, but it seemed there was about 38 spoons of sugar in it. Hope we have shares in Wilmar. I also hope that the product doesn't exceed caffeine and sucrose levels, lest it be deemed illegal.
Thought I'd try the taste test too - tried the Dare Double Espresso Iced Coffee.

Don't think we need worry about the caffeine level WW. IMHO, the boys would need to guzzle enormous quantities of these in one hit to get a caffeine fix anywhere near ???? illegal levels. If, there is an illegality about caffeine consumption today**

Then again, maybe I'm not the best to judge. I'm a short, black coffee drinker myself. It's beyond me how people can adulterate their coffee by having milk in it.................. especially flooded with cold milk..... still I guess taste is such a personal thingy.

On the other hand the sugar levels.................... Phew, I felt as if the fillings in my teeth were about to drop out.............. now that is some sugar hit :shock: :shock

Maybe on a very hot day after I'd been paddling against the wind and the tide on the Swan River I'd be more appreciative of a Dare Double Espresso Iced Coffee.

** I can vaguely remember at an Olympic Games some years back, an Australian competitor, I think it was in the pistol shooting round of a decathlon event was disqualified for the levels of caffeine in his system. Can't recall his name (Alex ?????). He had copious amounts of coffee in his system. His defence, the copious amounts he had before the event was to steady his hand whilst sighting his target and to clam his nerves by lowering his heart rate. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Too much coffee would have the opposite effect on me................... my nerves would be all a jangle, the heart rate racing and my hands all a tremble.

Least of all, not to mention the impact on my bladder. Id be jigging around all over the place, busting to go to the loo as I tried to sight up the bullseye. :oops: :oops: :oops:

gringo
Saintsational Legend

We went to both the training and the sponsor announcement this year....school holidays and I have the kids at work with me this last fortnight. Anyway they got free Chobani yoghurt at training and now the wife is buying it all the time for them as it's a new favourite and free big Ms and taking home a Dare each has them loyal to the brand. You can get some good brand loyalty for a few crates of product and a sponsorship.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:
White Winmar wrote:Just bought a Dare iced coffee / mocha. Very tasty, but it seemed there was about 38 spoons of sugar in it. Hope we have shares in Wilmar. I also hope that the product doesn't exceed caffeine and sucrose levels, lest it be deemed illegal.
Thought I'd try the taste test too - tried the Dare Double Espresso Iced Coffee.

Don't think we need worry about the caffeine level WW. IMHO, the boys would need to guzzle enormous quantities of these in one hit to get a caffeine fix anywhere near ???? illegal levels. If, there is an illegality about caffeine consumption today**

Then again, maybe I'm not the best to judge. I'm a short, black coffee drinker myself. It's beyond me how people can adulterate their coffee by having milk in it.................. especially flooded with cold milk..... still I guess taste is such a personal thingy.

On the other hand the sugar levels.................... Phew, I felt as if the fillings in my teeth were about to drop out.............. now that is some sugar hit :shock: :shock

Maybe on a very hot day after I'd been paddling against the wind and the tide on the Swan River I'd be more appreciative of a Dare Double Espresso Iced Coffee.

** I can vaguely remember at an Olympic Games some years back, an Australian competitor, I think it was in the pistol shooting round of a decathlon event was disqualified for the levels of caffeine in his system. Can't recall his name (Alex ?????). He had copious amounts of coffee in his system. His defence, the copious amounts he had before the event was to steady his hand whilst sighting his target and to clam his nerves by lowering his heart rate. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Too much coffee would have the opposite effect on me................... my nerves would be all a jangle, the heart rate racing and my hands all a tremble.

Least of all, not to mention the impact on my bladder. Id be jigging around all over the place, busting to go to the loo as I tried to sight up the bullseye. :oops: :oops: :oops:
i thought it was in the fencing component...bu hey..i'v been wrong before.....once at least.... :wink:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
loris
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
loris wrote:

i thought it was in the fencing component...bu hey..i'v been wrong before.....once at least.... :wink:

You are more than likely correct there stinger................... I know it was a weapon of some kind........sabre, sword, pistol, whatever!!

You can be correct this time, it can be my turn to have a memory lapse for once in my life...... :wink:

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Alex Watson- Pentathlon-

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
loris
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:Alex Watson- Pentathlon-
Thanks bratty...................... At least I got the Alex correct.............. if not the event. But then I'm very innumerate, can't tell the numerical difference between a decathlon and a pentathlon :( :(

Now what was the weapon Alex was brandishing 'bratty' ? This will enable either stinger or my good self to have one up on each other :P :P :P

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Nothing new in caffeine doping, Loris. My old man was a handy sprint cyclist in the late 30's and 40's (unfortunately a little scuffle called WWII interrupted his career). He told me that back in the day they would boil down about 30 cups of coffee into a thick paste and take it before races.

The symptoms you described reminded me of some of the stories he told. Blokes, him included would be charging around the change rooms with their eyes out on stalks, taking a piss every couple of minutes and sometimes while riding. In the end it appears nothing has changed. We'll never eradicate cheating.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

it was fencing- I think without checking- with the pointed weapon. and tethered suit-

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
loris
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:Nothing new in caffeine doping, Loris. My old man was a handy sprint cyclist in the late 30's and 40's (unfortunately a little scuffle called WWII interrupted his career). He told me that back in the day they would boil down about 30 cups of coffee into a thick paste and take it before races.

The symptoms you described reminded me of some of the stories he told. Blokes, him included would be charging around the change rooms with their eyes out on stalks, taking a piss every couple of minutes and sometimes while riding. In the end it appears nothing has changed. We'll never eradicate cheating.
Hey our dad was a pro rider in those days too. Rode for the Bruce Small stable in those days, Bruce Small's Malvern Star bicycle shop was in Malvern Ofcourse a stable mate of Dad's was the very well known Hubert Oppermman... think you may have heard of him!!!!

Dad was more of the road racer, once had the fastest time in the Warrnambool - Melbourne Classic............... or was it the Melbourne to Warrnambool??? Not certain which direction they rode. I wasn't even a twinkle in his eye when he achieved that.

Of course, Bruce Small became a legend in his own right ............................... he developed the Gold Coast years ago.

Actually loved hearing the stories handed down from those days.............. not about caffeine doping................ but political intrigue in the stable.

Dad and a couple of other riders were members of the Australian Communist Party, Oppy, a blue ribbon liberal & eventually became Sir Hubert, a minister in the Menzies government. Bruce Small was by all accounts was a typical 'white sandshoe' wheeler and dealer and money was is God. This was before the term 'white sandshoe' had surfaced in Q'land.

Years later when I was at ARS, I was given a peek at the file the Special Branch had on my Dad...... it was before Dad died, and I was able to tell him the snippets in it....... he was quite impressed with the intelligence that mickey/left footers squad had on him. Only wished I had retained the info I had obtained and also got more out of Dad on those years,......... but I was to busy being the self-centred me in my 20's & 30's to concern myself with Dad's colourful past.

All those files were supposedly destroyed when the Cain Govt came into power............................. I bet eh????? :wink:

loris
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:it was fencing- I think without checking- with the pointed weapon. and tethered suit-
Yes and steel boxes to protect the gentleman's private parts!!!!!

I can remember doing fencing lessons, and we had to put steel cups over our boobs. Each time your opponent lunged and hit you on the boob............a little 'ping' would be audible for all those watching. The judge didn't have to look at the electrical signal on the scoring panel that came from the electrical cord attached to your suit. The noise was enough giveaway you had lost a point in a vital scoring area :wink:

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

A few of we fellow travelers were presented with a right royal pillorying because of our new sponsor, by a comrade who follows the Sleepy Hollow outfit (he began by dissing sponsors who supply their products in polystyrene cups).

It deserved a response, and the response was delivered, to wit:

"Now, now Squiggle, it’s just a zaitbatsu at work……

Dare is owned by Lion, Lion are owned by Kirin, and Kirin are effectively controlled by Mitsubishi, in one of the original 4 zaitbatsu structures in Japan from pre-WWII, late 1800’s, in fact - like the Yabqui robber barons they were family controlled. Post WWII, such cross shareholdings (designed to protect the companies within) spread to smaller outfits in a similar way and became known as keiretsu.

And, Ford are what, exactly?

Coca-Cola, ditto?

That’s a coupla the biggish sponsors of de puddy cats.

Then we move to Pura. While they may only be an associate sponsor of the “’oops”, see if this might ring a bell (from less than a minute ago), given Pura are from the National Foods group down this way:

“National Foods is a dairy & beverage company which operates in Australia and is a subsidiary of holding company Lion Nathan National Foods,[1] wholly owned by the Japanese Kirin Holdings Company Limited, and consequently the Mitsubishi Group.”

Familiar?

Ya reckon they might just have the odd polystyrene packaged product in their stable?

And, from what I’ve been told, if you’ve tasted one brand of the s***, you’ve got the others covered. Not much new under the sun, eh?

Besides, mobs like yours should be grateful mobs like ours manage to stay afloat i.e.

We stay afloat, coots like us tip in dosh to the club and comp.

We are also honourable folks and provide revenue, by various routes, to a coupla levels of gubmint, who then redistribute that revenue for the greater public good (BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!).

There was a little redevelopment down the way of the Hollow, back in 2003. Some notes:

“An A$28 million redevelopment of the ground was announced in 2003, with A$13.5 million in funding from the State Government, A$4.5 million from the Geelong Football Club, and A$2 million from the AFL.”

Oooh, look, anudder one:

“In September 2007, Skilled Stadium received a further total of A$26 million towards the rebuilding of the Ross Drew Stand on the south western side of the ground that was completed by April 2010.[10] Funding for the project included A$14 million from the Federal Government and A$6 million from the Victorian Government”

And, the f****** hat’s still doing the rounds:

“Geelong CEO Brian Cook said stage three of the stadium's redevelopment would cost $34 million in total, with the club still looking for $3 million from both the AFL and the City of Greater Geelong.”

Ohbutohbutoh, there seems to have been a problem with the abacus:

“Unfortunately the estimated price of approximately $30 million was incorrect; in November 2011 it was reported that the actual cost would have been over $42 million. The Geelong Cats CEO Brian Cook announced that the club did not have the money to fund the extra $12 million for the originally planned expansion, so in order to bring the redevelopment cost back down to $30 million, a few minor cuts were made to the design: the capacity was reduced by 1000, a supporter's lounge was removed, and the plan was changed to use cheaper steel instead of concrete.”

And then, along came Dan…..

“In September 2014, then Victorian opposition leader Daniel Andrews promised $70 million to complete another stage of the upgrade of the oval if the Labor party got elected in November.[19] As a result of Labor winning the election, this upgrade will go ahead.”

If only such public largesse had been around when we moved to where the actual population was in the ‘60’s (and is still there, and growing).

Mobs like yours should be eternally grateful that mobs like us continue to put up with rat s*** stadium deals, game scheduling that reinforces the revenue gap and continuing drags from public revenue by a lot of others, but rarely us.

And, what’s more, we didn’t hire Dean Robinson, either."

If you've got a calculator (or an abacus) handy, you do the math. One of the 1st responders to this response (a fellow traveler) whipped out his tallying device, and quickly pointed out the Puddies had managed to drag a 6 digit number of millions from the public purse, and just over the redevelopment since the millenium change over.

Good, eh?

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
loris
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:it was fencing- I think without checking- with the pointed weapon. and tethered suit-

Stinger, the umpire has spoken.

A win to you, dear friend. Congratulations and jubilations :P :P :P :P

I humbly bow to your better memory.

BUT, hey, don't you get too confident up there on the victory dais mate!

I did recall his name was Alex!

I did recall the sport had something to do with weapons!

I did recall it was in a multi-disciplinary event he was competing in!

I did recall it was all about coffee!!

All those promptings must have assisted you no end. It's like being in those timed races on the Tour de France............... you know what time your competitor before you achieved, so it's easier to pace yourself and pip them at the post!!!!

Do I sound like a poor loser? You betcha I do :evil: :evil: :evil:

Also I'm older than you, so you should make allowances for me :( Don't you respect age?

All I have left is the trump card to play......................... the GENDER card :shock: :shock:

I'm FEMALE hear me bawl :cry: :cry: You chauvinist, misogynist, and I did have red hair (gone decidely grey these days I'm sad to say)................ so we emotional, firebrands are accepted when we play the gender game................ it's just her make-up she's a red head!!!!!

Cheers you grinner :P :P :P :P :P

Ooooophs I s'pose I'll get warning from the mods for my name calling to you. It's definitely unfair if I don't eh? :wink:

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:
White Winmar wrote:Nothing new in caffeine doping, Loris. My old man was a handy sprint cyclist in the late 30's and 40's (unfortunately a little scuffle called WWII interrupted his career). He told me that back in the day they would boil down about 30 cups of coffee into a thick paste and take it before races.

Hey our dad was a pro rider in those days too. Rode for the Bruce Small stable in those days, Bruce Small's Malvern Star bicycle shop was in Malvern Ofcourse a stable mate of Dad's was the very well known Hubert Oppermman... think you may have heard of him!!!!

Dad was more of the road racer, once had the fastest time in the Warrnambool - Melbourne Classic............... or was it the Melbourne to Warrnambool??? Not certain which direction they rode. I wasn't even a twinkle in his eye when he achieved that.

Of course, Bruce Small became a legend in his own right ............................... he developed the Gold Coast years ago.

Actually loved hearing the stories handed down from those days.............. not about caffeine doping................ but political intrigue in the stable.

Dad and a couple of other riders were members of the Australian Communist Party, Oppy, a blue ribbon liberal & eventually became Sir Hubert, a minister in the Menzies government. Bruce Small was by all accounts was a typical 'white sandshoe' wheeler and dealer and money was is God. This was before the term 'white sandshoe' had surfaced in Q'land.

Years later when I was at ARS, I was given a peek at the file the Special Branch had on my Dad...... it was before Dad died, and I was able to tell him the snippets in it....... he was quite impressed with the intelligence that mickey/left footers squad had on him. Only wished I had retained the info I had obtained and also got more out of Dad on those years,......... but I was to busy being the self-centred me in my 20's & 30's to concern myself with Dad's colourful past.

All those files were supposedly destroyed when the Cain Govt came into power............................. I bet eh????? :wink:
I've no doubt those files are cozily stuck away somewhere, Loris. Rumour had it when I was a young sprog at ARS, that the files were moved every six months, so as to protect them from destruction. Last I heard, they were at a defence facility in Laverton. That was 1983. Knowing how protective they were of their precious intelligence, I'm sure they're still out there somewhere.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Heidelberg_Saint
Club Player

Mr Magic wrote:Am wondering if having the CEO of Coles on our board has started to pay some dividends?
Could be he 'whispered' into some corporate ears
or alternatively
some corporate ears recognize the value of sponsoring a Club with that particular connection

For those wondering, Coles has a much bigger presence in Victoria than Woolworths (vice a versa in NSW)
The Dare sponsorship initiative is driven by Lion Dairy & Drinks MD, Peter West - a big Saints fan.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

i drink the green dare
have done since going off the farmers union iced coffee
the misses sat there reading the label and worked out the sugar content one day
its horrendous
something like 2 and a half million TABLEspoons of sugar in it

on that note i cut down my intake to only about one a week
the last thing i need is more friggin sugar

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:i drink the green dare
have done since going off the farmers union iced coffee
the misses sat there reading the label and worked out the sugar content one day
its horrendous
something like 2 and a half million TABLEspoons of sugar in it

on that note i cut down my intake to only about one a week
the last thing i need is more friggin sugar

Are you sweet enough already?

matrix
Saintsational Legend

not one person on here saw that coming

no plugger
im not
i just would like to try and keep some teeth for a few years longer

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:not one person on here saw that coming

no plugger
im not
i just would like to try and keep some teeth for a few years longer

I wouldn't worry about teeth. Overated and overpriced.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

i spose i could just blend my red meat and consume it that way
mmm
lamb milkshake with mint sauce :shock:

Heidelberg_Saint
Club Player

Re: St Kilda announcement - Tues morning

tony74 wrote:Don't be surprised if it has something to do with an automotive industry.
A caller on 3AW Sports Tonight approx. 6.50pm Wednesday night spoke of Saints signing Mitsubishi as another major sponsor, to be announced next week. Can't verify the validity of the call.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Heidelberg_Saint wrote:
tony74 wrote:Don't be surprised if it has something to do with an automotive industry.
A caller on 3AW Sports Tonight approx. 6.50pm Wednesday night spoke of Saints signing Mitsubishi as another major sponsor, to be announced next week. Can't verify the validity of the call.
Not a fan of Mitsubishi cars but I'd be stoked with any car company sponsorship. Very high profile.

I'd even take Great Wall (although Mitsubishi is better!)

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Heidelberg_Saint wrote:

http://www.3aw.com.au/news/sports-today ... 2cah1.html

the rumour mill

about 28 min mark

anyone know when Andrew Thompson was on?

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
saintly
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:
Heidelberg_Saint wrote:

the rumour mill

about 28 min mark

I hadn't heard that he was on. Richardson was on,.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

saintly wrote:
saintbrat wrote:
Heidelberg_Saint wrote:

the rumour mill

about 28 min mark

I hadn't heard that he was on. Richardson was on,.
during the audio above they mention that Andrew Thompson may have known when they spoke to him 'the other night'? but I certainly didn't see any 'twitter' announce that he was going to be on in the previous week anytime..

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY