Make or Break 2015

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

PJ
SS Life Member

Re: Make or Break 2015

Not a chance in a million that Delaney's going anywhere in the near future unless we find someone else in FA. He is an absolute rare commodity on our list.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote: Sam Fisher
Adam Schneider
Ahmed Saad
Jason Holmes
Tom Simpkin
Cameron Shenton
Dylan Roberton
Daniel Markworth
Tom Curren
Arryn Siposs
Darren Minchington
Brodie Murdoch
Saunders
Dempster
White
Ray
Savage
Lee
Gilbert
I don't think most of those guys are likely to be gone.
I don't think most will be gone either as that's 19 players, but I think the worst 7 or 8 (or most injury prone) will go.

Fisher, Schneider, Siposs, Simpkin, Markworth… are the most likely to be gone at this stage… hopefully a couple have break-out years and turn around their fortunes. Same goes for Gilbert if he can't manage more than 10 games.

If guys like Saunders, Murdoch, Ross, Curren, Minchington, Shenton & Roberton can't crack the seniors in the 18th side, they will soon be replaced by new recruits, though they may get 2 more years to show their worth.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:Not a chance in a million that Delaney's going anywhere in the near future unless we find someone else in FA. He is an absolute rare commodity on our list.
goddard and/or bruce will replace him eventually.....both those boys will make it...imho..that is.........we should have recruited young tippet when we had the chance...and no full back....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Delaney probably one of the safest on the list.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:Delaney probably one of the safest on the list.
well that's pretty sad if what you say turns out to be the truth..."cause we ain't going to win a flag with a substandard full back...

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
Adam Schneider
Ahmed Saad
Jason Holmes
Tom Simpkin
Cameron Shenton
Dylan Roberton
Daniel Markworth
Tom Curren
Arryn Siposs
Darren Minchington
Brodie Murdoch
Saunders
Dempster
White
Ray
Savage
Lee
Gilbert
I don't think most will be gone either as that's 19 players, but I think the worst 7 or 8 (or most injury prone) will go.

Fisher, Schneider, Siposs, Simpkin, Markworth… are the most likely to be gone at this stage… hopefully a couple have break-out years and turn around their fortunes. Same goes for Gilbert if he can't manage more than 10 games.

If guys like Saunders, Murdoch, Ross, Curren, Minchington, Shenton & Roberton can't crack the seniors in the 18th side, they will soon be replaced by new recruits, though they may get 2 more years to show their worth.
We need 5 every year so I think we could guess which ones. Schnozes is pretty much transitioning out, Siposs, Simpkin etc are all staring down the barrel then a few from the group you put up will be in some danger too. Roberton is very vulnerable as he didn't get a look in last year. The coach mustn't like what he brings. Shenton seems a coaches favourite and reckons he's got his fitness where it needs to be. Minchington and Curren are rookie upgrades who don't usually last compared to high recruits who staff seem to want to have picked right on, unless they hit the ground running that is. Saad might be in trouble even if he can't get on the senior list.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

At the 2015 draft, I would like the Saints to have all their picks before Pick 40, (remembering we got Lonie with 41 this year). I would like us to do some trading to get picks in the under 40 range, the earlier the better of course. If they can, draft Jacob weitering, 94kg, 194cm at 17, considered the best key defender in the draft, Let him play a couple of seasons beside Delaney to get the feel of the game.
That is how I would handle Delaney. another three seasons at least.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
dragit wrote:
Adam Schneider
Ahmed Saad
Jason Holmes
Tom Simpkin
Cameron Shenton
Dylan Roberton
Daniel Markworth
Tom Curren
Arryn Siposs
Darren Minchington
Brodie Murdoch
Saunders
Dempster
White
Ray
Savage
Lee
Gilbert

We need 5 every year so I think we could guess which ones. Schnozes is pretty much transitioning out, Siposs, Simpkin etc are all staring down the barrel then a few from the group you put up will be in some danger too. Roberton is very vulnerable as he didn't get a look in last year. The coach mustn't like what he brings. Shenton seems a coaches favourite and reckons he's got his fitness where it needs to be. Minchington and Curren are rookie upgrades who don't usually last compared to high recruits who staff seem to want to have picked right on, unless they hit the ground running that is. Saad might be in trouble even if he can't get on the senior list.

Auto correct went mental on Schnieder sorry.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
well that's pretty sad if what you say turns out to be the truth..."cause we ain't going to win a flag with a substandard full back...
I think you're being a bit harsh sting... He was in the elite category for % of contests won & finished 5th? In the b&f, hasn't even played games at AFL level yet.

At any rate, he's currently the only option we have for monster power forwards.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
stinger wrote:
I think you're being a bit harsh sting... He was in the elite category for % of contests won & finished 5th? In the b&f, hasn't even played games at AFL level yet.

I think you meant 50? games?

PJ
SS Life Member

stinger wrote:
PJ wrote:Not a chance in a million that Delaney's going anywhere in the near future unless we find someone else in FA. He is an absolute rare commodity on our list.
goddard and/or bruce will replace him eventually.....both those boys will make it...imho..that is.........we should have recruited young tippet when we had the chance...and no full back....
We currently don't have hackmen capable of halting the onslaught so unless we want to lose by 100 points every week. Bruce is in the forwards and Goddard will take a few seasons.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
dragit wrote:
stinger wrote:

I think you meant 50? games?
Yes I did gringo, thanks.
I blame the iPhone, or drinking, or both.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Saints43 wrote:
stinger wrote:delaney's one i would be looking at....not afl standard imhfo.....
I thought he fell away in the last few games of the season (looked really tired) but had been pretty good up until then. And he didn't get much help in the tall department.
Delaney was battling a bad hip injury at the end which is a worry in itself. I think he was great recruit - cost us nothing, can play on the gorrillas, a great spoiler, has real presence out there, without him we would have had worse blowouts probably. But I want to see him get pushed out by a full back who can use the footy well on the backline and pull in marks to rebound. Teams are so clever at isolating those players with bad disposal ala Dawson. They go one on one knowing they can't put it too advantage properly with marked targets so just end up bombing it which turns the opposition possession into a 50-50 ball again. We need more than good stoppers back there, we want cannons that can pick off then fire back. Goddard as CHB general, Acres as Hodge type sweeper-play maker (also going on ball), and then a classy, intelligent, skilful Scarlett type full back. Chuck in Webster and Newnes developing nicely, maybe McKenzie to give some dash and long kicking off a back flank and suddenly our backline is looking promising.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
The last bunch of flag winning full backs:

2014: Brian Lake
2013: Brian Lake
2012: Heath Grundy
2011: Matty Scarlett
2010: Nathan Brown
2009: Matty Scarlett
2008: Stephen Gilham
2007: Matty Scarlett
2006: Darren Glass
2005: Leo Barry
2004: Darryl Wakelin
2003: Mal Michael

Four of them won AA selection at some point: Lake, Scarlett, Glass and Barry (though not at full-back). The rest were pretty much just serviceable players. You don't need to be a superstar to be very useful in defence.

saint6709
Club Player

We currently don't have hackmen capable of halting the onslaught so unless we want to lose by 100 points every week. Bruce is in the forwards and Goddard will take a few seasons.
Are you talking footy or the sequel to the Texas chainsaw massacre ??

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

saint6709 wrote:
Are you talking footy or the sequel to the Texas chainsaw massacre ??
We do currently have a few backmen that are hackmen??