Goddard move- article

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Goddard move- article

SainterK wrote:
plugger66 wrote:To those who think BJ should have stayed I will ask you just one question. How does it help us now? By the way I want Lockett and Stewart to stay too. And I don't want Brian Wilson or Rene Kink. What does this all have in common. Its in the past and it cant be changed.
We can still chat about it...

Of course we can. And people can still basically say who cars. Do you have an answer to the question?

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

SainterK wrote:You forget MSG, that Pelchen gave guys like Polo, Peake and Clarke extra years...all of them playing until end of 2012.

He had an obsession with 2 years for guys not going anywhere.

I'm not an accountant, but the books looked off to me.

I'd have made it work personally.
The fact that Clinton Jones, James Gwilt, Polo, Peake, hell even Geary, Montagna, Clark stayed at the club but BJ did not is retarded.

This is why there is so much hatred for Jones, Gwilt et al. They never stood on their own two feet whilst much better played walked out the door.

So Jones tried hard? He was an AFL player that could not kick the football. End of story.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
SainterK wrote:
plugger66 wrote:To those who think BJ should have stayed I will ask you just one question. How does it help us now? By the way I want Lockett and Stewart to stay too. And I don't want Brian Wilson or Rene Kink. What does this all have in common. Its in the past and it cant be changed.

Of course we can. And people can still basically say who cars. Do you have an answer to the question?
How it helps us now?

Leadership, foot skills, passion, right age bracket...

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

The Redeemer wrote:
SainterK wrote:You forget MSG, that Pelchen gave guys like Polo, Peake and Clarke extra years...all of them playing until end of 2012.

He had an obsession with 2 years for guys not going anywhere.

I'm not an accountant, but the books looked off to me.

I'd have made it work personally.
The fact that Clinton Jones, James Gwilt, Polo, Peake, hell even Geary, Montagna, Clark stayed at the club but BJ did not is retarded.

This is why there is so much hatred for Jones, Gwilt et al. They never stood on their own two feet whilst much better played walked out the door.

So Jones tried hard? He was an AFL player that could not kick the football. End of story.

Only a genuine fruitloop would hate a player because the club chose to keep them.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
SainterK wrote:

How it helps us now?

Yes but does that equate to wins and if yes we may not have McCartin and if no then who cares. He isn't the right age bracket now though. Now I may have this wrong but haven't you had a go at Rooy for the way he has a go at players?

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
A journo told me Pelchen refused to sit down with the BJ camp and even talk about 3 years and a fourth with terms.
This journo was so confident about this information that they published it where?

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
SainterK wrote:

If you don't care, perhaps you could simply not post about it rather than cluttering and derailing a thread that other people are interesting in.

ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

spert wrote:In his last season with us, I thought he played a very selfish brand of footy, clearly in self-preservation mode knowing the money was in the bag. Probably fits the selfish egotistical Essendon culture better- I guess he can count his money while he watches us move back up the ladder.

Totally agree, it was quite clear from his attitude, and body language, he was already going.

And that's the sad thing, he wasn't honest then and he is living in the land of delusion and denial now.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

we will do ok. One more year on the bottom, influx of fresh young talent next season and room in the salary cap...then up we go.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

BJ only cares about BJ.

He now thinks the Dopers will be premiers this year and they'll make a movie about him!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
SainterK wrote:

If you don't care, perhaps you could simply not post about it rather than cluttering and derailing a thread that other people are interesting in.

No. Its relevant. Pick a side please.

saint-stu
Club Player

I'm surprised that people think of BJ in the same way they think of Luke Ball. Ball left when we were challenging and played against us the next year in a grand final. He had an offer. Was considered a required player and walked.

BJ was not going to help us move forward. In fact compensation picks are more likely to help. He was in his peak age bracket and we were just about to slump. I doubt the club tried hard to keep him.

1ac46a38
Joe Bloggs
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
mad saint guy wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
SainterK wrote:

No. Its relevant. Pick a side please.
Buddah 66 is right , change is the only constant , the only thing that doesn't change is change itself . If you want to be sad live in the past if you want to be anxious live in the future if you want to be happy live in the now ! Om.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
SainterK wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
SainterK wrote:

How it helps us now?

Yes but does that equate to wins and if yes we may not have McCartin and if no then who cares. He isn't the right age bracket now though. Now I may have this wrong but haven't you had a go at Rooy for the way he has a go at players?
For Pete's sake - if you're going to pull people up on things, at least learn how to write. Your posts are like a 7 year olds'. Learn how to punctuate!

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
SainterK wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
SainterK wrote:

How it helps us now?

For Pete's sake - if you're going to pull people up on things, at least learn how to write. Your posts are like a 7 year olds'. Learn how to punctuate!

Put me on ignore then because I am not going to waste my time on punctuation. I find it hard enough to type 5 words a minute as it is. Anyway Im sure you understand it but you are looking for a reason to have a go at me. But im sure you are glad you got that off your chest. And ZI think it was relevant and on topic. Something your post wasn't. Good day.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

At the time, I was quite happy with the stance of the club. Draw a line in the sand, I thought.

Looking back, we probably should have kept him. All players go through a rough patch and he was going through his at that time.

He certainly didn't hold the club to ransom; we just didn't really fancy paying him the market value - and that's also fine, given his deal ends when he turns 32.

In hindsight, I feel we probably could have done with his leadership and work ethic. And pick 13 wasn't a lot to get for him.

But as I say, I supported the club's call at the time - and it does enable us to have a dig at a $700,000 free agent who will play for us for the next ten years.

I can actually see him doing a Brett Montgomery and coming back to finish his career here. His style of footy doesn't rely on pace, meaning he can play through to 33-34.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

Players were taking pay cuts to stay and he wanted more casH. Simple as that, always has been

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
resaintlee
Club Player

saint-stu wrote:I'm surprised that people think of BJ in the same way they think of Luke Ball. Ball left when we were challenging and played against us the next year in a grand final. He had an offer. Was considered a required player and walked.
I believe that Ball had accepted the offer much earlier in the year and people were finding out about it hence the treatment he received. These things are not just worked out at the end of the season.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote: I can actually see him doing a Brett Montgomery and coming back to finish his career here. His style of footy doesn't rely on pace, meaning he can play through to 33-34.
I can see him doing a Luke Ball and buying his son an Essendon jumper.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:
evertonfc wrote: I can actually see him doing a Brett Montgomery and coming back to finish his career here. His style of footy doesn't rely on pace, meaning he can play through to 33-34.
I can see him doing a Luke Ball and buying his son an Essendon jumper.
Yep. Cant see BJ coming back to us under the circumstances. Too big an ego and he is too much into the cult of Hird.
Was great for us and Ill always admire what he did for us. But those days are over.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

resaintlee wrote:
saint-stu wrote:I'm surprised that people think of BJ in the same way they think of Luke Ball. Ball left when we were challenging and played against us the next year in a grand final. He had an offer. Was considered a required player and walked.
I believe that Ball had accepted the offer much earlier in the year and people were finding out about it hence the treatment he received. These things are not just worked out at the end of the season.

Ball got a flag!

Lyon and Misson got the speed and spread they thought Ball lacked in Lovett!

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

This is one of those rare occasions when the stars have aligned and plugger and i agree

Goddard had two average seasons with pressure on him to be a leader of our club that was in transition yet he demanded a king's ransom, took his hundreds of k to go to a club that was dumb enough to pay a flanker more than Jobe Watson (not that i blame him for doing that).

It's one thing if he plays to the standard that was expected ala Nick Riewoldt.

He wasn't though

This isn't a situation like Ball who was forced out or Dal who was part of a deal that worked out better for everyone... Goddard wanted kore than he was worth, got it and ran

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:This is one of those rare occasions when the stars have aligned and plugger and i agree

Goddard had two average seasons with pressure on him to be a leader of our club that was in transition yet he demanded a king's ransom, took his hundreds of k to go to a club that was dumb enough to pay a flanker more than Jobe Watson (not that i blame him for doing that).

It's one thing if he plays to the standard that was expected ala Nick Riewoldt.

He wasn't though

This isn't a situation like Ball who was forced out or Dal who was part of a deal that worked out better for everyone... Goddard wanted kore than he was worth, got it and ran
Depends if you rate them on H & away or GF's!

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

His GF performance was herculean... No doubting that.

But that was 2010.

We're talking 2013

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

And when we waltz away with, or march away I should say, with Rory Sloane and Lachie Whitfield in the next couple of years, will you accuse them of being treacherous?

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.