WHO replaces Ross in midfield?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: WHO replaces Ross in midfield?

Dr Spaceman wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:If who replaces Ross in the midfield then whats going to replace who
Hugh can't play midfield. And even if he could, Watts is no longer there to replace Hugh in Defence.
Then nobody must replace Ross. He's as good as any.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
SuperDuper
Club Player

magnifisaint wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:If who replaces Ross in the midfield then whats going to replace who
Hugh can't play midfield. And even if he could, Watts is no longer there to replace Hugh in Defence.
Then nobody must replace Ross. He's as good as any.
Did someone say hugh was replacing Ross?
It can't be noone!
I am pretty sure noone is still on sandy's list, so noone is not replacing ross..
And with noone on Sandy's list, they will have a tough time getting a team together..
Do you know hugh is going to kick watts ass in round 11?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Make no mistake, Ross will be missed. We really have no-one who can readily replace him. The coach was pinning his hopes on Ross being the replacement for Lenny.

We have only had glimpses of the player Ross will become once he fully realises that he has the class and ability to truly compete at AFL level.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:Make no mistake, Ross will be missed. We really have no-one who can readily replace him. The coach was pinning his hopes on Ross being the replacement for Lenny.

We have only had glimpses of the player Ross will become once he fully realises that he has the class and ability to truly compete at AFL level.
Really? Are we talking about the same player here - Lenny?

We have Armitage & Dunstan as inside mids - both of which are miles better than Ross, we also have Weller & Curren who are at a pretty similar level, but not as slow.

Curren will probably be the one who gains most from Ross missing, as I don't think you can play all 3 of Weller/Ross/Curren - but maybe 2.

While Ross maybe become a decent footballer, right now he is pretty average at AFL level, treacle slow with pretty ordinary foot-skills... says a bit about the level of young midfield talent on our list when we are getting worked up about missing this bloke. I hope he comes back and dominates, but I wouldn't be banking on it.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

i've heard the coach say two or three times now that he was hoping that Ross would take on the Lenny roll.

I would have put Ross slightly ahead of Dunstan on performances so far this year.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:i've heard the coach say two or three times now that he was hoping that Ross would take on the Lenny roll.

I would have put Ross slightly ahead of Dunstan on performances so far this year.
Dunstan has barely played yet, but I'm pretty sure he is ahead of Seb in the pecking order at this stage.

I'm hoping that Tom Lee can become Jarryd Roughead.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
saynta wrote:i've heard the coach say two or three times now that he was hoping that Ross would take on the Lenny roll.

Dunstan has barely played yet, but I'm pretty sure he is ahead of Seb in the pecking order at this stage.

Lee won't make it.

Dunstan is certainly ahead of Ross in the pecking order now as Seb won't be playing for 3 or 4 months.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Lee won't make it.
I take the view that those running the club know more about footy than I do.

I take the view that those running the club know more about the footballers on our list than I do.

At the end of each year some players retire, or are traded or are delisted. With that last group I accept that these guys “won’t make it”.

In regards to those players currently on our list I personally don’t view any of them as being in the "won’t make it" category. History tells us that some indeed “won’t make it” and many people are probably pretty good at guessing who those players will be.

But as long as you are still on the list, and there are games to be played, then anything is possible IMO.

I certainly don’t accept Lee “won’t make it”. Pretty sure he’ll get good game time and he has a fair bit of talent. Up to him what he does with his chances. I’m not even prepared to write off Siposs or Markworth, even though they’ll miss a big chunk of their final contracted years. Both will hopefully get to play again at some level this year. And as long as they do get a chance to impress they remain a chance to continue on at the Saints.

Delusional? Rose coloured glasses? Maybe. But I would hate to think that anyone in power at the club is actually striking a line through any player in March.

Anything can, and occasionally does, happen.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:

I take the view that those running the club know more about the footballers on our list than I do.

At the end of each year some players retire, or are traded or are delisted. With that last group I accept that these guys “won’t make it”.

In regards to those players currently on our list I personally don’t view any of them as being in the "won’t make it" category. History tells us that some indeed “won’t make it” and many people are probably pretty good at guessing who those players will be.

But as long as you are still on the list, and there are games to be played, then anything is possible IMO.

I certainly don’t accept Lee “won’t make it”. Pretty sure he’ll get good game time and he has a fair bit of talent. Up to him what he does with his chances. I’m not even prepared to write off Siposs or Markworth, even though they’ll miss a big chunk of their final contracted years. Both will hopefully get to play again at some level this year. And as long as they do get a chance to impress they remain a chance to continue on at the Saints.

Delusional? Rose coloured glasses? Maybe. But I would hate to think that anyone in power at the club is actually striking a line through any player in March.

Well Said, Doc !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:

It's great that in a free country like australia, the right to express a view on the chances of any individual footballer to make a career out of the game, hasn't as yet,been restricted. You can express your opinion, just as i can express mine.

I have been watching footballers and football games most of my life and feel confident that sometimes, when I am at a game, I can appreciate the ball skills, kicking ability, forward thinking and just plain footy nouse that some footballers possess. I just haven't seen lee display above average levels of skills in any of these areas.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: It's great that in a free country like australia, the right to express a view on the chances of any individual footballer to make a career out of the game, hasn't as yet,been restricted. You can express your opinion, just as i can express mine.
Totally agree.

Your opinion is your opinion and of course you are entitled to it. Nonetheless, it would probably read a bit better if you added "In my opinion" or "On what I've seem so far" before the definitive "Lee won't make it" comment.

Lee from all reports has been training well over the summer and is finally over the shoulder problems that have plagued him so far at the Saints.

No guarantees he'll make it, but I certainly wouldn't be writing him off before a game is even played in 2015.

And it's worth noting that 2 weeks ago after the Intra Club there were people on here suggesting Josh Bruce was no good.

A week ago, after an improved performance against Brisbane, many thought Bruce would be a big chance of lining up in Round 1.

Now after the the game against the Bombers, most probably have him marked down as first Forward picked aside from Rooey.

Funny game is football :wink:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
saynta wrote: It's great that in a free country like australia, the right to express a view on the chances of any individual footballer to make a career out of the game, hasn't as yet,been restricted. You can express your opinion, just as i can express mine.
Totally agree.

Your opinion is your opinion and of course you are entitled to it. Nonetheless, it would probably read a bit better if you added "In my opinion" or "On what I've seem so far" before the definitive "Lee won't make it" comment.

Lee from all reports has been training well over the summer and is finally over the shoulder problems that have plagued him so far at the Saints.

No guarantees he'll make it, but I certainly wouldn't be writing him off before a game is even played in 2015.

And it's worth noting that 2 weeks ago after the Intra Club there were people on here suggesting Josh Bruce was no good.

A week ago, after an improved performance against Brisbane, many thought Bruce would be a big chance of lining up in Round 1.

Now after the the game against the Bombers, most probably have him marked down as first Forward picked aside from Rooey.

Ive got him ahead of Rooy based on what I have seen of both players this year. If we can put Ross ahead of Dunstan because of this year then I have every forward ahead of Rooy bar White.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote: And it's worth noting that 2 weeks ago after the Intra Club there were people on here suggesting Josh Bruce was no good.

Ive got him ahead of Rooy based on what I have seen of both players this year. If we can put Ross ahead of Dunstan because of this year then I have every forward ahead of Rooy bar White.
Gee, you've jumped off Paul Cahill pretty bloody quickly!

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:
dragit wrote:

Lee won't make it.

Dunstan is certainly ahead of Ross in the pecking order now as Seb won't be playing for 3 or 4 months.
Dunstan is already twice the player Ross will ever be. Hope the boy makes it and I think he will end up a decent player, but Dunstan is a star in the making, and he is already well advanced in that process.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Totally agree.

The IMHO letters can be taken as a given,imho, in respect of most if not all of the posts on this forum.

Don't attribute any of the negative comments in relation to Bruce to me. I saw something in him last year that I have never seen in Lee.

Bruce has loads of football ability, talent and that will to win. IMHO of course.

Yes, it's a funny game and I will be one of the first to admit I was wrong if Lee ever kicks a bagful.

if I was the coach, and I'm not of course, I would be putting all my efforts into Spencer and the no 1 daft pick, not some reject from the west that an ex-coach thought could play a bit.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
saynta wrote:Make no mistake, Ross will be missed. We really have no-one who can readily replace him. The coach was pinning his hopes on Ross being the replacement for Lenny.

Really? Are we talking about the same player here - Lenny?

We have Armitage & Dunstan as inside mids - both of which are miles better than Ross, we also have Weller & Curren who are at a pretty similar level, but not as slow.

Curren will probably be the one who gains most from Ross missing, as I don't think you can play all 3 of Weller/Ross/Curren - but maybe 2.

While Ross maybe become a decent footballer, right now he is pretty average at AFL level, treacle slow with pretty ordinary foot-skills... says a bit about the level of young midfield talent on our list when we are getting worked up about missing this bloke. I hope he comes back and dominates, but I wouldn't be banking on it.

I think you are being a bit harsh on Ross, he's not there yet but he's on less than 30 games. He's a bit like Mitchell in his slow pace but quick mind. I thought his 2 games this year have been excellent and his progression has been exactly as you would hope. He's not Lenny who was averaging about 24 disposals last year but he was at least another of our option gone.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:
saynta wrote:
dragit wrote:

Lee won't make it.

Dunstan is already twice the player Ross will ever be. Hope the boy makes it and I think he will end up a decent player, but Dunstan is a star in the making, and he is already well advanced in that process.
Now I certainly don't agree with you there and I'm prepared to bookmark your post.

Certainly he was the better performed player last year, but not anywhere near twice the player. Ross, on his showing so far this year has come on in leaps and bounds while Dunstan has gone backwards.

Both of them will make it though. IMHO of course.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:
White Winmar wrote:
saynta wrote:
dragit wrote:

Lee won't make it.

Now I certainly don't agree with you there and I'm prepared to bookmark your post.

Certainly he was the better performed player last year, but not anywhere near twice the player. Ross, on his showing so far this year has come on in leaps and bounds while Dunstan has gone backwards.

They are practice matches. lets wait until the real deal. Also they may have had completely different preparations.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
saynta wrote:
White Winmar wrote:
saynta wrote:
dragit wrote:

Lee won't make it.

They are practice matches. lets wait until the real deal. Also they may have had completely different preparations.

Yeah Dunstan was in a no contact phase and only just got out of it after ruining his arm last season. Dunstan is probably being overhyped as he had a great year for a first year player but Ross had a 28 possession game against the cats last year when he was allowed to play most of the game rather than subbing on. Dustan's best would have been low 20s but started with a bang. It's an easy thing to do jump on a guy who bursts from the blocks but most guys take a few years to come on. It's not possible to say who will be a better player yet and I hope they both come good and do a Lenny and Montagna style career path. I'd take that.

bigballs
Club Player

This is the man I reckon will move into the midfield in Ross's absence......Blake Acres.

Interesting to note that he came to us with senior WAFL experience – primarily as a midfielder.......also just on a side note - Blake is nearly the same height (191cm) as Scott Pendlebury (192cm) not that I'm putting him in the same category as Pendles.....yet!! :D

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Compare Dunstan's first year to Seb's first three. On that evidence, who seems more likely to make it to the elite level? I know things can change rather quickly, but Dunstan is ahead of Seb, even at this stage. Runs better, is a better kick and is just as good with his hands. IMHO, of course.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Ross had a few interesting moments in the Morwell game, one sticks in my mind above the others. He gathered the ball just inside defensive 50, had no support close by and was confronted by opposition. He held his ground, changed footing and kept on the move from foot to foot without actually commiting to go anywhere. A bit "Dal llike" in that he didn't panic, bought some time, and dished off to a team mate effectively when one was able to break clear.

The kid can play and has fast hands and thought, he works very well in traffic. He is not a great natural athlete, but is a very natural footballer. He will be a slow burn project that I think will be a very solid and consistent contributor within two seasons.

Acres looked very promising for the first time ont he weekend as well, and would be my choice to replace Seb, purely to accelerate his development, even if it causes some pain early on.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
dragit
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
saynta wrote:
White Winmar wrote:
saynta wrote:
dragit wrote:

Lee won't make it.

Yeah Dunstan was in a no contact phase and only just got out of it after ruining his arm last season. Dunstan is probably being overhyped as he had a great year for a first year player but Ross had a 28 possession game against the cats last year when he was allowed to play most of the game rather than subbing on. Dustan's best would have been low 20s but started with a bang. It's an easy thing to do jump on a guy who bursts from the blocks but most guys take a few years to come on. It's not possible to say who will be a better player yet and I hope they both come good and do a Lenny and Montagna style career path. I'd take that.
Dunstan had 29 touches, 7 clearances & 2 goals in his 3rd game...

While I hope Ross becomes a gun as much as anybody, right now there is daylight between the 2. Dunstan would net a top 10-15 pick if traded, Ross would be a 3rd rounder.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:Ross had a few interesting moments in the Morwell game, one sticks in my mind above the others. He gathered the ball just inside defensive 50, had no support close by and was confronted by opposition. He held his ground, changed footing and kept on the move from foot to foot without actually commiting to go anywhere. A bit "Dal llike" in that he didn't panic, bought some time, and dished off to a team mate effectively when one was able to break clear.

The kid can play and has fast hands and thought, he works very well in traffic. He is not a great natural athlete, but is a very natural footballer. He will be a slow burn project that I think will be a very solid and consistent contributor within two seasons.

Acres looked very promising for the first time ont he weekend as well, and would be my choice to replace Seb, purely to accelerate his development, even if it causes some pain early on.
I agree with you that Seb is a natural footballer. In the Diesel Williams mould I would think.

I also think that the coach recognises real talent when he sees it.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:
True Believer wrote:Ross had a few interesting moments in the Morwell game, one sticks in my mind above the others. He gathered the ball just inside defensive 50, had no support close by and was confronted by opposition. He held his ground, changed footing and kept on the move from foot to foot without actually commiting to go anywhere. A bit "Dal llike" in that he didn't panic, bought some time, and dished off to a team mate effectively when one was able to break clear.

I agree with you that Seb is a natural footballer. In the Diesel Williams mould I would think.

I also think that the coach recognises real talent when he sees it.

Didn't he get dropped 2 or 3 times last year?