WHO replaces Ross in midfield?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Re: WHO replaces Ross in midfield?

plugger66 wrote:
saynta wrote:
True Believer wrote:Ross had a few interesting moments in the Morwell game, one sticks in my mind above the others. He gathered the ball just inside defensive 50, had no support close by and was confronted by opposition. He held his ground, changed footing and kept on the move from foot to foot without actually commiting to go anywhere. A bit "Dal llike" in that he didn't panic, bought some time, and dished off to a team mate effectively when one was able to break clear.

The kid can play and has fast hands and thought, he works very well in traffic. He is not a great natural athlete, but is a very natural footballer. He will be a slow burn project that I think will be a very solid and consistent contributor within two seasons.

Acres looked very promising for the first time ont he weekend as well, and would be my choice to replace Seb, purely to accelerate his development, even if it causes some pain early on.
I agree with you that Seb is a natural footballer. In the Diesel Williams mould I would think.

I also think that the coach recognises real talent when he sees it.

Didn't he get dropped 2 or 3 times last year?
Yep, spent half of his 3rd year in the VFL even though we were racked with injuries... Meanwhile Dunstan was picked every week he was available in his 1st year.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

plugger66 wrote:
saynta wrote:
True Believer wrote:Ross had a few interesting moments in the Morwell game, one sticks in my mind above the others. He gathered the ball just inside defensive 50, had no support close by and was confronted by opposition. He held his ground, changed footing and kept on the move from foot to foot without actually commiting to go anywhere. A bit "Dal llike" in that he didn't panic, bought some time, and dished off to a team mate effectively when one was able to break clear.

The kid can play and has fast hands and thought, he works very well in traffic. He is not a great natural athlete, but is a very natural footballer. He will be a slow burn project that I think will be a very solid and consistent contributor within two seasons.

Acres looked very promising for the first time ont he weekend as well, and would be my choice to replace Seb, purely to accelerate his development, even if it causes some pain early on.
I agree with you that Seb is a natural footballer. In the Diesel Williams mould I would think.

And ???

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
saynta wrote:

And ???
My thoughts too.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
saynta wrote:

And ???
My thoughts too.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
saynta wrote: I also think that the coach recognises real talent when he sees it.

And ???
And… the coach dropping a player from the 18th side when you are desperate for mids says that the coach doesn't rate him that highly.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

What a pointless argument, my apologies for raining on the parade... we all want the same thing for this guy, just rate where he is at differently, I hope he recovers well and dominates on his return.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:
True Believer wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
saynta wrote:

And ???
My thoughts too.

It isn't that hard to understand. You come out with a comment that the coaches recognises real talent when he says it so I gather you are talking about Ross and he was dropped 2 or 3 times last year so how do you come to that conclusion.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Irrelevant of how much talent the coach thinks he has, the development phase of a career will have bumps. If a coach thinks a player needs to go and work on something, or simply thinks he needs a kick up the bum, one means of achieving it is to drop the player.

It may also boost confidence in a young player lacking such if he goes to a lower level and ca dominate a game or two and earn his place back in the seniors.

Simply being dropped a couple of times early on means nothing.

I remember Dal and Milney both being dropped well into their careers, did that mean the coach didn't think they were talented?

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:Irrelevant of how much talent the coach thinks he has, the development phase of a career will have bumps. If a coach thinks a player needs to go and work on something, or simply thinks he needs a kick up the bum, one means of achieving it is to drop the player.

It may also boost confidence in a young player lacking such if he goes to a lower level and ca dominate a game or two and earn his place back in the seniors.

Simply being dropped a couple of times early on means nothing.

I remember Dal and Milney both being dropped well into their careers, did that mean the coach didn't think they were talented?

Agreed but how can you say that comment then if as I gather it was about Ross. He may think he is a champion or a hack. There is no proof apart from being dropped 3 times last year. I didn't say Ross was a hack but the other poster said the coach sees real talent. The question is where is the proof he sees it in Ross? By the way I want Ross to be a star and also Lee and every player we draft. History suggests that wont happen but we did fluke the 2001 draft. Hopefully last years or this years matches that.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
True Believer wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
saynta wrote: I also think that the coach recognises real talent when he sees it.

And ???
And… the coach dropping a player from the 18th side when you are desperate for mids says that the coach doesn't rate him that highly.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

Tb
seriously

save your brain cells
they erode pretty quick once discussion starts

fingers
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:If who replaces Ross in the midfield then whats going to replace who

I don't know. ....3rd base!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:Tb
seriously

save your brain cells

Says the man from outback South Australia. I will give you one thing though. You put a few sentences together without swearing. Now that is nearly a first. By the way do you possibly have an opinion?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
seriously

save your brain cells

Says the man from outback South Australia. I will give you one thing though. You put a few sentences together without swearing. Now that is nearly a first. By the way do you possibly have an opinion?

Do you ever have anything nice to say about anything or anybody?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
seriously

save your brain cells

Have I ever said anything bad about you. He said it first and I continued it. I gather you are one of these people who post opinions and when challenged think its personal. Show me a post where I have had a go at you or another before they have had a go at me. I still haven't read why you think our coach thinks Ross is a real talent.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
saynta wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
seriously

save your brain cells

Have I ever said anything bad about you. He said it first and I continued it. I gather you are one of these people who post opinions and when challenged think its personal. Show me a post where I have had a go at you or another before they have had a go at me. I still haven't read why you think our coach thinks Ross is a real talent.
No, you haven't had a go at me from memory. Argued, yes, but then that's fine, but I couldn't understand why you got so narky with matrix so quickly.

I don't know why the coach thinks Ross is a real talent, apart from hearing him say so on three occassions now. I guess he is a good judge of young talent, as one would expect. I know that I am. :wink: Well, a fair judge anyway.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Jacks Back wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:If who replaces Ross in the midfield then whats going to replace who
I Don't Know!
I Don't Give A Damn.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen: