Upcoming Game

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

FQF
SS Life Member

Re: Upcoming Game

This is a serious mismatch and a very difficult test for our young players - preseason or not.

I just hope we hold our own...

noob
Club Player

This could be like the St.Kilda v Essendon Top ups match, but we are Essendon this time.

I can't believe both teams earn roughly the same in wages.

Our forwards will learn a lot from Hawthorn's defense.

bigballs
Club Player

Last chance to impress the coach before the real stuff starts, so it will be interesting to see who steps up.

I know most people will say the result is irrelevant, but I reckon it is relevant. No one wants to go into Round 1 with a heavy defeat behind them.

Like everyone else, I'd just like to see us competitive for most if not all of the match.

loris
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:The game's on Foxtel, isn't it? Should be moved to the horror movie channel. It should come with a warning, "if you're a saints supporter, some of the scenes you're about to see could be disturbing. Viewer discretion is advised."
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:The Hawks won't be taking risks, and it expect it will be a closer contest than some think, even though the results are irrelevant, we need to show competitiveness and push them hard, and if we can do that then I know that we will be on the improve.
And I think the hawks will experiment with players/positions/tactics etc. They won't be revving the engine too hard at this stage - probably happy to keep it third. Heard Hickey on the news saying they were excited to play the best team in the comp because that's how you learn. That's a great attitude. Really looking forward to Thursday night and seeing Paddy Mac, Lonie, Acres, Hugh, etc show their wares against the bench mark. Footy's here again!!!!!!! Whooo-hooooo :D :D :D :D

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Etihad also in training mode
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-03-17/a ... shot-clock
In a move that could put tardy forwards on notice, a countdown clock will appear when the controlling umpire gives the player his 15-second warning.

It will disappear when the player starts his approach, with the umpire calling time on as normal once it reaches zero.

Players will still have a total of 30 seconds to take their set shot before play on is called.

The shot clock is one of a number of initiatives being tested at Etihad Stadium before the start of the season, which will improve "interaction and understanding of the game" for supporters.

Football managers were made aware of the trials last week, with the League confirming the details in a memo to clubs on Tuesday afternoon.

The AFL limited the time available to players taking a set shot in 2006, setting the 30-second limit as part of changes designed to make the game more fluent.

As well as the countdown clock, fans at Etihad Stadium for this week's matches will hear umpire explanations of free kicks and score reviews.

The free kick explanations will be broadcast during scoreboard replays, while the umpire's verdict during score reviews will be broadcast on the ground's PA.
- See more at: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-03-17/a ... sb2BK.dpuf

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
PJ
SS Life Member

Would like to see the mature bodies that are available in there going hard - Weller & Curren we're looking at you.

Don't care about the outcome but some ticker would be good.

Sinclair this is you're chance - make the most of it.

Interesting to see at this stage with injuries weather they'll introduce Schneiderman as an option - I think we have small forward covered so maybe in another role.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

bigballs wrote:I know most people will say the result is irrelevant, but I reckon it is relevant. No one wants to go into Round 1 with a heavy defeat behind them.
It makes no difference at all.
We were SMASHED by Port Adelaide in the last pre-season game of 2009...It didn't hurt our side one iota.
Sydney were smashed pre-season after pre-season but consistently made finals.

Conversely, Carlton won the pre-season comp a few years back and finished the H&A season on the bottom.

Pre-season form counts for very, very little.

If Hawthorn thump us (and I suspect they will), then they thump us. As long as we don't get any injuries to key players then we should be right to take on GWS round 1 with some confidence.

Also, remember last season? GWS thumped us in Wagga Wagga...but, lo and behold, we beat them in round 2.

bigballs
Club Player

Life Long Saint wrote:
bigballs wrote:I know most people will say the result is irrelevant, but I reckon it is relevant. No one wants to go into Round 1 with a heavy defeat behind them.
It makes no difference at all.
We were SMASHED by Port Adelaide in the last pre-season game of 2009...It didn't hurt our side one iota.
Sydney were smashed pre-season after pre-season but consistently made finals.

Conversely, Carlton won the pre-season comp a few years back and finished the H&A season on the bottom.

Pre-season form counts for very, very little.

If Hawthorn thump us (and I suspect they will), then they thump us. As long as we don't get any injuries to key players then we should be right to take on GWS round 1 with some confidence.

Also, remember last season? GWS thumped us in Wagga Wagga...but, lo and behold, we beat them in round 2.

Bloody hell, I hate it when someone hits me with facts and figures.

First of all, I don't give a s*** about what happened in the past and I don't give a s*** about other teams either, I just care about what's happening now with our players and their state of mind going into Round 1 if we were to cop a hiding.

It's easy for us to say NAB Challenge match results don't matter, but I reckon deep down inside the players would be pissed off.

What effect that will have have on them.......well, we'll just have to wait and see.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

bigballs wrote:It's easy for us to say NAB Challenge match results don't matter, but I reckon deep down inside the players would be pissed off.
They need a huge reality adjustment if they are pissed off because the team that won the last two flags and are near full strength smashed them in a practice game without many of our senior players.

We are going to cop many hidings this season (just like last season).

Here are some more facts and figures for you...
The last time we had this many inexperienced players coming through was 2000-2003...We copped many, many hidings in that period. Roo, Kosi, Ball, BJ, Dal, Joey, Fisher, Hayes all seemed to cope and became leaders and part of a formidable team (but not premiers).
Have faith in the character of the players the club has drafted. Step back and look at the bigger picture. A drubbing on March 19 will matter very little in the grand scheme. I'd be more worried about the character of the players if it did negatively affect them.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:
bigballs wrote:It's easy for us to say NAB Challenge match results don't matter, but I reckon deep down inside the players would be pissed off.
They need a huge reality adjustment if they are pissed off because the team that won the last two flags and are near full strength smashed them in a practice game without many of our senior players.

We are going to cop many hidings this season (just like last season).

Here are some more facts and figures for you...
The last time we had this many inexperienced players coming through was 2000-2003...We copped many, many hidings in that period. Roo, Kosi, Ball, BJ, Dal, Joey, Fisher, Hayes all seemed to cope and became leaders and part of a formidable team (but not premiers).
Have faith in the character of the players the club has drafted. Step back and look at the bigger picture. A drubbing on March 19 will matter very little in the grand scheme. I'd be more worried about the character of the players if it did negatively affect them.
I agree with your comments. A good indication as to whether we have improved or not will be our performance against the premiers tomorrow night. They thrashed us last year in one of the worst performances I have ever seen by a side in Red White and Black.

sainter#4
Club Player

I don't understand why everyone is so panicked. We will win3-5 games this year. The growth will be in being competitive for longer and get games into the kids. To be honest I want a priority pick this year so we can get 2 top midfielders and then best available every pick there after. As I stated earlier pelchens email to the fans in 2013 is going to be spot on. This year will be a year of pain and the second half of 2016 will show positive results. By 2017 we will be playing finals. In the next 2 years I believe we will add a further 4-6 picks in the top 20 and you will see us taking shape as a strong team plus the addition of free agents. So just chill and enjoy the development this year

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

sainter#4 wrote:I don't understand why everyone is so panicked. We will win3-5 games this year. The growth will be in being competitive for longer and get games into the kids. To be honest I want a priority pick this year so we can get 2 top midfielders and then best available every pick there after. As I stated earlier pelchens email to the fans in 2013 is going to be spot on. This year will be a year of pain and the second half of 2016 will show positive results. By 2017 we will be playing finals. In the next 2 years I believe we will add a further 4-6 picks in the top 20 and you will see us taking shape as a strong team plus the addition of free agents. So just chill and enjoy the development this year
You think our first year that we'll (most likely) be without Riewoldt, Fisher, Dempster and Montagna will be the year we make the finals?

I think this year will be our worst with slight improvement in 2016. Hopefully in 2017 we can get out of the bottom four but I wouldn't put money on it. Finals might be on the radar in 2019, but probably more like 2020.

Megamaguire
Club Player

Saints vs Premiers

An opportunity to be as switched on as they can against the premiers.
Hoping for no injuries and the young fellas to enjoy themselves and perhaps even surprise the hawks a bit.

To play the best before the season really begins will hopefully help our young players for the rest of the season.

G O S A I N T S ! :D

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
sainter#4
Club Player

mad saint guy wrote:
sainter#4 wrote:I don't understand why everyone is so panicked. We will win3-5 games this year. The growth will be in being competitive for longer and get games into the kids. To be honest I want a priority pick this year so we can get 2 top midfielders and then best available every pick there after. As I stated earlier pelchens email to the fans in 2013 is going to be spot on. This year will be a year of pain and the second half of 2016 will show positive results. By 2017 we will be playing finals. In the next 2 years I believe we will add a further 4-6 picks in the top 20 and you will see us taking shape as a strong team plus the addition of free agents. So just chill and enjoy the development this year
You think our first year that we'll (most likely) be without Riewoldt, Fisher, Dempster and Montagna will be the year we make the finals?

I think this year will be our worst with slight improvement in 2016. Hopefully in 2017 we can get out of the bottom four but I wouldn't put money on it. Finals might be on the radar in 2019, but probably more like 2020.

Most certainly do. Fisher has barely played in the last few years. Joey and dempster are no longer all Australian level players. The only star out of our experienced lot is Roo. I Believe the key to improvement is the younger guys taking on ownership much like the young brigade of dal santo roo ball etc did 12 years ago. I see billings Newnes Dunstan Goddard mccartin being very good players by the end of 2017. Thrown in 4 top 20 picks over the next 2 drafts then all of a sudden you have 9 high ceiling players plus improvement in Hickey longer Ross savage lonie McKenzie white etc.

I think alot of our own supporters sell our youth short because they are not all top 10 picks like gws and the sun's. We just lack experience and once we hit an average experience of 50 games plus 2-3 preseasons of fitness and size you will understand why I believe the optimism the club see's. Btw our current youth should all hit 50 games by 2017- 2018 the latest

sainter#4
Club Player

Also thrown in 1-2 very good free agents signings which the club is in discussions with and you should feel ecstatic as supporters at where we are positioned

Saints94
SS Life Member

Go Saints!!

looking for positive signs against the premier outfit.

Trixilver
Club Player

The "Saad" clock is now going to be tested. Is his walkup really that annoying to people we now have to change the rules again? Also, I don't recall him ever being over the 30 seconds/play on rule they implemented in 2012(?)

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2015-03-1 ... down-trial

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

Spot on.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote:
Spot on.

So you actually think we will get a priorty pick. Very very doubtful and if we do its only going to be pick 20 or so. We also have very little hope of playing finals in 2017. Matter of fact we have no hope.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

sainter#4 wrote:
mad saint guy wrote:

Most certainly do. Fisher has barely played in the last few years. Joey and dempster are no longer all Australian level players. The only star out of our experienced lot is Roo. I Believe the key to improvement is the younger guys taking on ownership much like the young brigade of dal santo roo ball etc did 12 years ago. I see billings Newnes Dunstan Goddard mccartin being very good players by the end of 2017. Thrown in 4 top 20 picks over the next 2 drafts then all of a sudden you have 9 high ceiling players plus improvement in Hickey longer Ross savage lonie McKenzie white etc.

I think alot of our own supporters sell our youth short because they are not all top 10 picks like gws and the sun's. We just lack experience and once we hit an average experience of 50 games plus 2-3 preseasons of fitness and size you will understand why I believe the optimism the club see's. Btw our current youth should all hit 50 games by 2017- 2018 the latest

Dempster is still an extremely high output player and his form isn't worse more just the pressure he's under. Fisher said his body is as good as it has been in years so could conceivably play a few more years. Same with Montagna. Steven Armo and Geary are high level players and will stop us being as uncompetitive as Melbourne. If we can get the youth firing we should be able to minimise the pain. Billings and Dustan look the goods and to me Webster and Newnes will make the step up to being very good to excellent this year. Ross, Wright and Saunders also on the cusp. If we can get some improvement from Lee, White, Saad etc we shouldn't be too bad.I'm an optimist and believe we are sailing forward in the right direction, fire up Saints.

sainter#4
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
tony74 wrote:
Spot on.

So you actually think we will get a priorty pick. Very very doubtful and if we do its only going to be pick 20 or so. We also have very little hope of playing finals in 2017. Matter of fact we have no hope.
My personal opinion is if we win less then 5 games again we will. last year the club considered an application to the afl commission for one. If we have another poor year you would have to hope the club does the right thing and applies this year for a priority pick. Now whether thats pick 2 or pick 20 it will be in the first round and i will be happy as larry if we end up with the best slider from the first round again like we did with Goddard this year.

the kids are developing right - we just need 2-3 of the kids taken later in the draft e.g. Lonie and white to really come on and then i think we really are in business.
the kids just need to get to the magical 50 game mark and you will see drastic improvement in us

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

sainter#4 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
tony74 wrote:
Spot on.

My personal opinion is if we win less then 5 games again we will. last year the club considered an application to the afl commission for one. If we have another poor year you would have to hope the club does the right thing and applies this year for a priority pick. Now whether thats pick 2 or pick 20 it will be in the first round and i will be happy as larry if we end up with the best slider from the first round again like we did with Goddard this year.

the kids are developing right - we just need 2-3 of the kids taken later in the draft e.g. Lonie and white to really come on and then i think we really are in business.
the kids just need to get to the magical 50 game mark and you will see drastic improvement in us

Well I hope you are right but the AFL said last year that it would take an extraordinary situation for clubs to get a priority pick. Maybe no wins may get us one but I doubt they will ever give a pick one ever again.

sainter#4
Club Player

i also believe we will sign 1-2 very good free agents in the next 24 months, so those signings plus 4-6 first round choices means we could potentially add 6-8 players of really good pedigree. Your adding them to Hickey, Webster, Billings, Dustan, Acres(who i think has the potential to be the best of the lot) McCartin, Goddard, Newnes, Ross, Savage, Lonie, Eli,Longer, White,Mckenzie. Plus a gem or 2 off the rookie list and all of a sudden you have a very competitive and skillful group that you will add best available talent to until we are ready to strike for our next tilt at the flag.

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

lol. No way we will play finals in 2017!
Can I have some of what your on??