Team v GWS

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Re: Team v GWS

BFUSA - P66 loves a bit of argy bargy

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
BackFromUSA wrote:
Darth Vader wrote:
BackFromUSA wrote:
saynta wrote:
Jacks Back wrote:No McCartin or Goddard. :(
I see Lamb has been named at CHF for the Eagles. His non-selection is going to piss me off I think.

A big mistake.
This upset me too but at least we got Goddard who will be a beauty.

We really need to invest in players that have Saints in their bloodlines that are showing potential.

Would we still be bottom if we had Jack Riewoldt, James Frawley and Marcus Bontempelli in our team this year?

All 3 should have been drafted by us but I think we were gun shy after Raphael Clarke.

Lamb looks a potential star to me.
So just to clarify, you're suggesting we draft players who our recruiters think are not as good as other players in the draft because they're related to some of our players? Is it still 1 April somewhere?
Actually I think heritage and pride in a club and jumper should be a factor.

I would have loved us to have drafted Jack Riewoldt instead of Armo even though I love Armo. The kid was kicking bags in senior competition and was nowhere near fit. He was classed as unfit, possibly lazy and too short for modern key position. Of course that excludes consideration of his physical and mental development plus at the time we wanted quality midfielders with the retirement and pending retirements.

Frawley would have been a bonus that year. As it turned out if things were different and we had not sold off the farm to dive down the bottom to rebuild - we could have got him in free agency - just like Hawthorn have.

Bontempelli vs Billings will be debated for years. Go back and look at the photos of the top 10 draft picks that year. Billings has the smallest frame by a country mile. My query is can he build an AFL body to go to war. Amazing skills but when bodies get battered, the skill level drops. Bontempelli has the physical profile of the ideal modern midfielder. Billings will be good no doubt. Dal's cousin could be ANYTHING! His magic moments are superstar material. A game breaker.

As for Lamb - agree as a 17 year old he had some shockers BUT some games he blitzed ... To me that looks like mental preparation as an issue something that can be worked out in professional environment like an AFL club.

Yep lets just draft every relation. What about Jacks brother. How is he going now and people wanted us to draft him. And we get Bomp because Dal used to play for us even though people had a go at the WB for taking him to early. All hindsight baiter. And you are now saying you don't want Goddard but isn't he a relation?
Hi Plugger66

Firstly I am not baiting - I am just pointing out when you seem to suffer from a comprehension issue in this post - as with the Matrix post earlier in the week.

One by one ...

"Yep lets just draft every relation."

I have previously posted:

"Actually I think heritage and pride in a club and jumper should be a factor." By factor I clearly state NOT the only consideration. I am saying that in a draft situation you have two players ranked within a "band of talent" and one of those draftees has a historical link and heritage connection to the club is should be e big tick in their favour.

"What about Jacks brother. How is he going now and people wanted us to draft him."

I actually do not know who you are asking about. Jack Steven? Jack Newnes? Jack Riewoldt? Jack who? Either way I am not talking about them and never have AND more importantly I never stated that we should just draft any old relation.

"And we get Bomp because Dal used to play for us even though people had a go at the WB for taking him to early."

My concern from day 1 with Billings is his body shape. His skill was the best in that draft. I would have rated Billings around 7 in that draft but that is my opinion. He will come good but needs 4 to 5 years to get an AFL body IMHO and then he will be a star. Bontempelli has an AFL body now, is the right body type for a midfielder in modern footy and will be a star for 10+ years IMHO. I think Bontempelli was in the 3 - 8 range for drafting and based on my belief that relationships and heritage have meaning ... I would have picked him at 3. I am not unhappy with Billings at 3, but would have liked Bontempelli more. Having said that I think in 5 years time they will both be elite.

"And you are now saying you don't want Goddard but isn't he a relation?"

NO that is the opposite of what I said. I said:

but at least we got Goddard who will be a beauty.

Now Plugger66 - I know you think I am baiting you, but I am merely pointing out when you have miscomprehended what a poster has written and formed your argument against them on this incorrect base. If these are not cases of miscomprehension, then the only other explanation would be that you are delliberately trying to start an argument and inflame aggressive responses from posters. As I do not want to assume that you would deliberately want to inflame an argument, I am assuming you just have some comprehsion issues and I am merely trying to point them out to you to help you understand what people are saying so that you can contribute meaningfully.
Shots fired!

Milne
Club Player

BackFromUSA wrote:
My concern from day 1 with Billings is his body shape. His skill was the best in that draft. I would have rated Billings around 7 in that draft but that is my opinion. He will come good but needs 4 to 5 years to get an AFL body IMHO and then he will be a star.
Billings put on a bit in the pre-season. Not every great player has a Nick Riewoldt body btw.

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Milne wrote:
BackFromUSA wrote:
My concern from day 1 with Billings is his body shape. His skill was the best in that draft. I would have rated Billings around 7 in that draft but that is my opinion. He will come good but needs 4 to 5 years to get an AFL body IMHO and then he will be a star.
Billings put on a bit in the pre-season. Not every great player has a Nick Riewoldt body btw.
Milne - I agree. However Jack will take another 2 years minimum to build the body that can take a battering in the midfield for 60 to 80 minutes of a game. He will need far greater strength than what he has now. Until then he will be very good but to become elite his body will need 2 to 3 seasons IMHO. Nothing wrong with that but there is work to do.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Not sure what the AFL record is but 8 players in our 22 tomorrow have been on a Rookie list at some point. Is this a high number or the new normal?

Schneider, Saad, Sinclair, Shenton, Geary, Templeton, Delaney, Weller.

In comparison most of the GWS side will have been top 20 draft picks.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
BackFromUSA wrote:
Darth Vader wrote:
BackFromUSA wrote:
saynta wrote:
I see Lamb has been named at CHF for the Eagles. His non-selection is going to piss me off I think.

A big mistake.

We really need to invest in players that have Saints in their bloodlines that are showing potential.

Would we still be bottom if we had Jack Riewoldt, James Frawley and Marcus Bontempelli in our team this year?

All 3 should have been drafted by us but I think we were gun shy after Raphael Clarke.

So just to clarify, you're suggesting we draft players who our recruiters think are not as good as other players in the draft because they're related to some of our players? Is it still 1 April somewhere?

I would have loved us to have drafted Jack Riewoldt instead of Armo even though I love Armo. The kid was kicking bags in senior competition and was nowhere near fit. He was classed as unfit, possibly lazy and too short for modern key position. Of course that excludes consideration of his physical and mental development plus at the time we wanted quality midfielders with the retirement and pending retirements.

Frawley would have been a bonus that year. As it turned out if things were different and we had not sold off the farm to dive down the bottom to rebuild - we could have got him in free agency - just like Hawthorn have.

Bontempelli vs Billings will be debated for years. Go back and look at the photos of the top 10 draft picks that year. Billings has the smallest frame by a country mile. My query is can he build an AFL body to go to war. Amazing skills but when bodies get battered, the skill level drops. Bontempelli has the physical profile of the ideal modern midfielder. Billings will be good no doubt. Dal's cousin could be ANYTHING! His magic moments are superstar material. A game breaker.

As for Lamb - agree as a 17 year old he had some shockers BUT some games he blitzed ... To me that looks like mental preparation as an issue something that can be worked out in professional environment like an AFL club.

Yep lets just draft every relation. What about Jacks brother. How is he going now and people wanted us to draft him. And we get Bomp because Dal used to play for us even though people had a go at the WB for taking him to early. All hindsight baiter. And you are now saying you don't want Goddard but isn't he a relation?
Hi Plugger66

Firstly I am not baiting - I am just pointing out when you seem to suffer from a comprehension issue in this post - as with the Matrix post earlier in the week.

One by one ...

"Actually I think heritage and pride in a club and jumper should be a factor." By factor I clearly state NOT the only consideration. I am saying that in a draft situation you have two players ranked within a "band of talent" and one of those draftees has a historical link and heritage connection to the club is should be e big tick in their favour.

"What about Jacks brother. How is he going now and people wanted us to draft him."

I actually do not know who you are asking about. Jack Steven? Jack Newnes? Jack Riewoldt? Jack who? Either way I am not talking about them and never have AND more importantly I never stated that we should just draft any old relation.

"And we get Bomp because Dal used to play for us even though people had a go at the WB for taking him to early."

My concern from day 1 with Billings is his body shape. His skill was the best in that draft. I would have rated Billings around 7 in that draft but that is my opinion. He will come good but needs 4 to 5 years to get an AFL body IMHO and then he will be a star. Bontempelli has an AFL body now, is the right body type for a midfielder in modern footy and will be a star for 10+ years IMHO. I think Bontempelli was in the 3 - 8 range for drafting and based on my belief that relationships and heritage have meaning ... I would have picked him at 3. I am not unhappy with Billings at 3, but would have liked Bontempelli more. Having said that I think in 5 years time they will both be elite.

Now Plugger66 - I know you think I am baiting you, but I am merely pointing out when you have miscomprehended what a poster has written and formed your argument against them on this incorrect base. If these are not cases of miscomprehension, then the only other explanation would be that you are delliberately trying to start an argument and inflame aggressive responses from posters. As I do not want to assume that you would deliberately want to inflame an argument, I am assuming you just have some comprehsion issues and I am merely trying to point them out to you to help you understand what people are saying so that you can contribute meaningfully.

What a terrible mod you are. The good thing you have done since getting on here is get 2 very good mods. You are that arrogant you don't even see baiting. For a start you said I can never say wrong. I admit im wrong all the time and was again wrong in both cases here. You on the other hand have never admitted wrong. You even gave me a warning for saying bullsh++er once and its probably been said 100 times since. Look I don't know why im upset over what you say. I should pity you. The arrogance amazes me. Now try being a proper mod and for gods sake give yourself a warning for baiting. Admit arrogance. Failure. Even this topic proves wrong is beyond you. I reckon some on here who went to BF for a while summed you up pretty well. I didn't bother saying things behind you back. I just say it in PM's when you warn me for things others get away with.
Last edited by plugger66 on Sun 05 Apr 2015 9:05am, edited 1 time in total.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote:
Milne wrote:
BackFromUSA wrote:
Milne - I agree. However Jack will take another 2 years minimum to build the body that can take a battering in the midfield for 60 to 80 minutes of a game. He will need far greater strength than what he has now. Until then he will be very good but to become elite his body will need 2 to 3 seasons IMHO. Nothing wrong with that but there is work to do.

Jack is probably the biggest shape change this year. He was about the build of my 9 year old son when he was training preseason last year. He has noticeably bigger arms and shoulders this year. I think he will end up something like Schnieder long term. Probably never going to be huge but look stocky because of his height. His best buddy Sinclair on the other hand is going to be another Chapman build. The guy will give Curren a run for his money in the gym and he came from VFL.

sainter#4
Club Player

Schneider? Jack already looks like a midfielder and he hunts the ball like one too. I am hoping for Nathan Brown/Stevie Johnson type player. Let's make no mistake they were match winners and absolute jets in their primes.

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
BackFromUSA wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
BackFromUSA wrote:
Darth Vader wrote:
BackFromUSA wrote:
saynta wrote:

A big mistake.

Hi Plugger66

One by one ...

What a terrible mod you are. The good thing you have done since getting on here is get 2 very good mods. You are that arrogant you don't even see baiting. For a start you said I can never say wrong. I admit im wrong all the time and was again wrong in both cases here. You on the other hand have never admitted wrong. You even gave me a warning for saying bullsh++er once and its probably been said 100 times since. Look I don't know why im upset over what you say. I should pity you. The arrogance amazes me. Now try being a proper mod and for gods sake give yourself a warning for baiting. Admit arrogance. Failure. Even this topic proves wrong is beyond you. I reckon some on here who went to BF for a while summed you up pretty well. I didn't bother saying things behind you back. I just say it in PM's when you warn me for things others get away with.
I am sorry. Why is it baiting when all I am doing is pointing out that on both occasions you have misrepresented what others have written and based your arguments against them on your incorrect comprehension (or deliberate twisting) of the opinions in the post. However as you love the other mods and dislike me as a mod, I shall leave it to them to decide if this is baiting or not. Given you refuse to use the report button, I shall do it for you so that this can be assessed. Having said that - in relation to your objection that you received a warning for swearing (by circumventing the swear filter) yet others have (in your view) have not been warned, I can say that all that have been reported have been warned as well as some that were not reported but found in our casual reading of the site - have been warned. Some may have slipped through but we are not reading every single post (impossible unless you spent all day on here and even then extremely difficult) and have stressed numerous time (including to you) that breaches should be reported so that they can be assessed. Despite what you think, nobody is picking on you specifically.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

And if the new standard for "baiting" is merely pointing out when someone has made an error and you feel they are wrong and say so in a rational non abusive manner, then that really may lead to an inability to debate issues. I am sure the board doesn't want that and I am sure you don't either.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
BackFromUSA wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
BackFromUSA wrote:
Darth Vader wrote:
BackFromUSA wrote:
saynta wrote:

A big mistake.

Hi Plugger66

One by one ...

I am sorry. Why is it baiting when all I am doing is pointing out that on both occasions you have misrepresented what others have written and based your arguments against them on your incorrect comprehension (or deliberate twisting) of the opinions in the post. However as you love the other mods and dislike me as a mod, I shall leave it to them to decide if this is baiting or not. Given you refuse to use the report button, I shall do it for you so that this can be assessed. Having said that - in relation to your objection that you received a warning for swearing (by circumventing the swear filter) yet others have (in your view) have not been warned, I can say that all that have been reported have been warned as well as some that were not reported but found in our casual reading of the site - have been warned. Some may have slipped through but we are not reading every single post (impossible unless you spent all day on here and even then extremely difficult) and have stressed numerous time (including to you) that breaches should be reported so that they can be assessed. Despite what you think, nobody is picking on you specifically.

Its friggin baiting when you say things like you are never wrong. Pure biting but as an arrogant person like you would never admit it. Look you don't like me and I cant stand you but that's fine if you are fair. You aren't but I will continue to try and not get warnings because I don't really want to see a PM from you. Even the arrogant way you spoke here is pathetic. Give it other mods to asses. What a joke. As ive told you many times before you have no idea what is baiting. Its only the person who you are responding that knows if its baiting or not. Don't give it to the other mods to assess because its baiting. Im telling you that. I don't give yourself a warning because you will have to PM yourself and when you read it you will be disgusted by the arrogance. By the way how are all the site changes going?

Anyway I hope we win today and the side is OK except I have no idea why Longer is playing ahead of Hickey. And with the results so far this round we know upsets can occur. We also now realise a loss today may make it hard for us to win many if any games this year because some we had around our position certainly look better than we thought.

Saint wagga
Club Player

Plugger, my only theory why longer is playing instead of hickey is a bit of a horses for courses type selection. Mumford is a beast in the ruck, and they may not want to risk hickey getting a physical beat down relatively early in his comeback. Longer at least is a bit bigger, burlier type build, may handle the physicality a bit better. Whatever the reason, Billy will know he's playiñg for his spot in the side...hopefully brings out the best in him!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Saint wagga wrote:Plugger, my only theory why longer is playing instead of hickey is a bit of a horses for courses type selection. Mumford is a beast in the ruck, and they may not want to risk hickey getting a physical beat down relatively early in his comeback. Longer at least is a bit bigger, burlier type build, may handle the physicality a bit better. Whatever the reason, Billy will know he's playiñg for his spot in the side...hopefully brings out the best in him!

Hope you are right. Noticed Hickey got best for Sandy yesterday.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Sinclair the sub.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
BackFromUSA wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
BackFromUSA wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
BackFromUSA wrote:
Darth Vader wrote:
BackFromUSA wrote:
saynta wrote:

A big mistake.

Hi Plugger66

One by one ...

Its friggin baiting when you say things like you are never wrong. Pure biting but as an arrogant person like you would never admit it. Look you don't like me and I cant stand you but that's fine if you are fair. You aren't but I will continue to try and not get warnings because I don't really want to see a PM from you. Even the arrogant way you spoke here is pathetic. Give it other mods to asses. What a joke. As ive told you many times before you have no idea what is baiting. Its only the person who you are responding that knows if its baiting or not. Don't give it to the other mods to assess because its baiting. Im telling you that. I don't give yourself a warning because you will have to PM yourself and when you read it you will be disgusted by the arrogance. By the way how are all the site changes going?

Anyway I hope we win today and the side is OK except I have no idea why Longer is playing ahead of Hickey. And with the results so far this round we know upsets can occur. We also now realise a loss today may make it hard for us to win many if any games this year because some we had around our position certainly look better than we thought.
I never ever ever said that I was never wrong.

Yet another misinterpretation or misrepresentation.

Let others decide.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Champion person.