Hate blaming Umpires but ........

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Playon
Club Player

Re: Hate blaming Umpires but ........

bergholt wrote:
CURLY wrote:
bergholt wrote:
CURLY wrote:
bergholt wrote:
CURLY wrote:Another great display today. What do people expect other than bias s*** like today. The non free to Lonie then the free against Dempster should be sent to corruption officers.
Poor umpiring but I'm not sure why you'd assume it was bias.
What was it then? One free to Lonie not paid then a mistake the other end gifts them a goal.
What was it? Why not incompetence and bad luck?
No not at this level you can't miss a free like the one to Lonie unless you choose to.
You know that makes no sense, right? I get paid a lot more than the umpires and I still make mistakes at work.
Well then they should give you the ar** :)

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Sainter_Dad wrote:
Bergholt - how many people bet on the outcome of your work though???

So you think the umpires or friends bet on GWS so they cheated to make sure they won? That is even bigger news. That will be on the first 5 pages of the paper and head every news bulletin tonight I would think if you are right.
No - I don't think that the calls were due to corruption, but I do think that the impact of their calls is much more significant to a lot more people than a mistake that I make in my day to day work (also a lot more public)

I never accused anyone of cheating, merely pointed out that Bergholt was saying that he gets paid more than the umps and still makes mistakes, but in the scheme of things, a grossly wrong call could move the margin, or change the result. Probably unintentionally, but still significant in the course of a persons bet.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
The Redeemer
SS Life Member

before I blow my s*** re. our poor umpiring at the game, surely a positive?

the entire round, the holding the ball has been fantastically consistent. Anyone else notice?

Good work umps, it is a shame that we were not paid so many obvious ones today

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Sainter_Dad wrote:

So you think the umpires or friends bet on GWS so they cheated to make sure they won? That is even bigger news. That will be on the first 5 pages of the paper and head every news bulletin tonight I would think if you are right.
No - I don't think that the calls were due to corruption, but I do think that the impact of their calls is much more significant to a lot more people than a mistake that I make in my day to day work (also a lot more public)

I never accused anyone of cheating, merely pointed out that Bergholt was saying that he gets paid more than the umps and still makes mistakes, but in the scheme of things, a grossly wrong call could move the margin, or change the result. Probably unintentionally, but still significant in the course of a persons bet.

So the betting part isn't really relevant?

The_Merchant
Club Player

Sainter_Dad wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Sainter_Dad wrote:

I would think there are many professions where a mistake has far more significant consequences than a football umpire. I do think they made some critical errors today, but to think they are corrupt is a stretch.

If at first you don't succeed, sky diving is not for you.
Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

12 point turnaround.

Lonie taken high with the umpire just metres away, no free, goes up the other end and the softest of a free kick to gWS in front of goals.

No umpires didn't make a difference at all :roll:

And why did not Riewoldt get a free kick for that deliberate cheap shot by bug.

No, Bugg gets rewarded for it with a free kick.

Useless incompetence and it cost us the game

You are garbage - Enough said
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:No umpires didn't make a difference at all
Did anyone claim that? The discussion is about whether it was incompetence or bias.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:And dont forget those srappy 50 meter penalties!
Some soft 50s. I remember when you pretty much had to pole axe someone after the whistle or throw the ball over the fence for it to be 50.
Today you just had to breath in the wrong direction.

seano1
Club Player

generally I think all games are over umpired

wolfpup
Club Player

wow, apologies to people around row d level 1 as went absolutely crazy at the umpires.

man they got 3 goals from 50 metre penalties, the 1st one in the first quarter was there i guess, such an annoying time for it to happen as we were leading, but the other 2 i was livid, and the non lonie free kick?? whilst we had the ascendancy?

anyways, enough venting from me, GWS did play well but man those 50s destroyed us............ grrr

-----------

St.Kilda Forever!
Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

bergholt wrote:
Did anyone claim that? The discussion is about whether it was incompetence or bias.
Over at bigfooty, two posters have reported that they have been told by both umpires Meredith and Ryan that they like to let frees against the Saints slide due to what Scneider did in 2009.

So take that as you will.

It certainy looked more than incompetence today.

And umpires have form. Remember umpire Head and his Whispers in the Sky.

Umpires are small minded little men with massive egos and protected by the AFL.

They can do what they want, and nothing ever happens to them.

If you opened your eyes you would have seen gross incompentecy or possible even something more sinister.

Can you honestly believe an umpire could have missed that Lonie free? It was blatant

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Sainter_Dad wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Sainter_Dad wrote:

OMFG - The betting part is highly relevant!

However, the poor decisions affect the results of the bet, NOT the bet causing the poor decisions.

Way to take a point and turn it on its head.

People lost money today, had the inconsistent umpiring gone our way, a complete different set of people would have lost money. Simple, at no stage did I say that umpires were corrupt, I merely said that their performance has affected whether some people got paid out. Proabably their own fault for betting on a team that was never supposed to win, but you cannot deny the logic that says if the 12 point turn around did not occur, a whole different set of people would be collecting cash this weekend.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:If you opened your eyes you would have seen gross incompentecy or possible even something more sinister.
I saw mistakes = incompetence. I didn't see "something more sinister".
Bunk_Moreland wrote:Can you honestly believe an umpire could have missed that Lonie free? It was blatant
Yep. It was a pretty soft one. He grabbed the ball, was about to get tackled so dropped it out in front of him, then got tackled and went to ground. He was playing for the free and he didn't get it - that happens. Plenty worse than that today.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

deja vu

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Sainter_Dad wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Sainter_Dad wrote:

However, the poor decisions affect the results of the bet, NOT the bet causing the poor decisions.

People lost money today, had the inconsistent umpiring gone our way, a complete different set of people would have lost money. Simple, at no stage did I say that umpires were corrupt, I merely said that their performance has affected whether some people got paid out. Proabably their own fault for betting on a team that was never supposed to win, but you cannot deny the logic that says if the 12 point turn around did not occur, a whole different set of people would be collecting cash this weekend.
Of course people lost money because of some poor decision but people also won money because of that. I don't see the point of mentioning betting if you are suggesting the umpires don't do it deliberately.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

bergholt wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:If you opened your eyes you would have seen gross incompentecy or possible even something more sinister.
I saw mistakes = incompetence. I didn't see "something more sinister".
Bunk_Moreland wrote:Can you honestly believe an umpire could have missed that Lonie free? It was blatant
Yep. It was a pretty soft one. He grabbed the ball, was about to get tackled so dropped it out in front of him, then got tackled and went to ground. He was playing for the free and he didn't get it - that happens. Plenty worse than that today.
We were 7 points down, Lonie gets hit high (getting hit high regardless if you have the ball or not is a free, except of course if you are Riewoldt, you get charged and the perp gets the free) play on, ball goes down the other end and softest of free to GWS

12 point turnaround, gross incompetence and cost us the game. But het defend the umpires if you like, I saw what I saw.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:12 point turnaround.

Lonie taken high with the umpire just metres away, no free, goes up the other end and the softest of a free kick to gWS in front of goals.

No umpires didn't make a difference at all :roll:

And why did not Riewoldt get a free kick for that deliberate cheap shot by bug.

No, Bugg gets rewarded for it with a free kick.

Useless incompetence and it cost us the game
And since 2012 this has happened at least 6 times.

We didn't deserve to win but the umpiring favoured them.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:

Sure were, however most of the time when a GWS player did the same, or similar (read ducking) they were rewarded with the free.

This is one game where the umpires had a significant (not claiming intentional) bearing on the outcome, and too often it is against us.

When was the last time a Saints supporter came home thinking "We dodged a bullet there, thank goodness the umpires made THAT decision"?

― Aristophanes

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote:
bergholt wrote:

Sure were, however most of the time when a GWS player did the same, or similar (read ducking) they were rewarded with the free.

This is one game where the umpires had a significant (not claiming intentional) bearing on the outcome, and too often it is against us.

When was the last time a Saints supporter came home thinking "We dodged a bullet there, thank goodness the umpires made THAT decision"?

Probably the same time every supporter from another club said the same.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Sainter_Dad wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Sainter_Dad wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Sainter_Dad wrote:

Of course people lost money because of some poor decision but people also won money because of that. I don't see the point of mentioning betting if you are suggesting the umpires don't do it deliberately.
Cause and effect, that is all. In the overall scheme of things, I do not think that these four points will affect our season, except that the boys would get to sing the song one more time. I still think we will snag a very good draft pick this year.

― Aristophanes

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I hate the Umpires that I blame.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
bergholt wrote:
Over at bigfooty, two posters have reported that they have been told by both umpires Meredith and Ryan that they like to let frees against the Saints slide due to what Scneider did in 2009.

So take that as you will.

It certainy looked more than incompetence today.

And umpires have form. Remember umpire Head and his Whispers in the Sky.

Umpires are small minded little men with massive egos and protected by the AFL.

They can do what they want, and nothing ever happens to them.

If you opened your eyes you would have seen gross incompentecy or possible even something more sinister.

Can you honestly believe an umpire could have missed that Lonie free? It was blatant
Well it's nice to know that there are delusional posters at Bigfooty as well.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

We can argue about the umpiring as much as we like but it amounts to NOTHING. If, on the other hand the AFL were to publish their report on the Missed & Unwarranted Free Kicks we would all be that little bit wiser !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

They had no hesitation in paying holding the ball against GWS when we tackled them. They seemed to get that right all day. A GWS forward was smashed from the front by one of our players late in the 3rd and got no free kick. There were a few high tackles against our guys they missed, so GWS got the greater benefit from umpiring errors overall. Had we had not been so awful in the 2nd quarter, we wouldn't be talking about it so much.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:We can argue about the umpiring as much as we like but it amounts to NOTHING. If, on the other hand the AFL were to publish their report on the Missed & Unwarranted Free Kicks we would all be that little bit wiser !!

And it would make the umpires even more noticeable. And we still argue that they were right or wrong. The less said about umpires the better. And its hard enough to get umpires in local footy as it is.