Geary needs to have a big year

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Geary needs to have a big year

terry smith rules wrote:I notice he got a vote from the coaches, so some here maybe watching a different game

He has actually voted in both games.

Pleasing
Club Player

Geary is like Richie Vandenberg was at Hawthorn when they were down and out. He is fitter and more disciplined than anyone else and sets the right example but his football talent is limited. He more than earns his place in the team today and his elevation to the leadership group is clearly because he sets many of the standards the coaches want in terms of work rate, playing his role and courage.

He and Dempster and Nick more than anyone set the standard in terms of professionalism and preperation. They are the examples we hope all our younger more talented players try and emulate on the track. That needs to be rewarded and the youngsters need to know that they will have to reach similar levels before they can expect to replace him in the team.

He is an important part of our rebuild but might not be there once the building is completed

Let me in
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Pleasing wrote:Geary is like Richie Vandenberg was at Hawthorn when they were down and out. He is fitter and more disciplined than anyone else and sets the right example but his football talent is limited. He more than earns his place in the team today and his elevation to the leadership group is clearly because he sets many of the standards the coaches want in terms of work rate, playing his role and courage.

He and Dempster and Nick more than anyone set the standard in terms of professionalism and preperation. They are the examples we hope all our younger more talented players try and emulate on the track. That needs to be rewarded and the youngsters need to know that they will have to reach similar levels before they can expect to replace him in the team.

He is an important part of our rebuild but might not be there once the building is completed

Vandenberg was a very ordinary footballer. Probably not up to Geary's standard even. They were really running a bare cupboard with Shane Crawford such a media fool that they couldn't use him despite his on field performance being the best at the club.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

That running goal by Geary is exactly what we need him to do....

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Can someone explain to me why Geary is the plus one in defense when he is the worst kick in the afl?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Cloke is s*** and can only score from multiple soft frees.

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote:Can someone explain to me why Geary is the plus one in defense when he is the worst kick in the afl?
Kicked well tonight. Much improved.

Always loyal
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

SemperFidelis wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:Can someone explain to me why Geary is the plus one in defense when he is the worst kick in the afl?
Kicked well tonight. Much improved.
Yes no complaints tonight re his ball use.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
matrix
Saintsational Legend

lol at worst kick in the afl

right o

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

What I've realised about Geary is there is something "safe" about his approach. Last night we were desperate for him to step up on the big stage when it was going pear shaped. Yes he kicked a great goal when everyone was flying in the first qtr. But when the young players were running on the spot and ball watching and McCartins knees were shaking it was left to Armo, Steven and Fisher to try and turn the tide yet again. Esp after Savage got a corky we needed him to really take the game on take risks to try and hurt Collingwood the other way to keep them pressing up so much. But instead he goes into his cover defender mode which is what he knows. Maybe developing under Lyon has ingrained a safety-first approach that he just can't break. But as one of our few 100 game players you want more out of him as a damaging player and trying to change the momentum. But no lets whack Paddy and Longer and Billings who are still learning and let Gears fly under the radar again because he brings "effort". REally helped last night.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Gears had a poor game last night. Kicked that great goal but otherwise was ineffective. He's courageous to the point of being stupid. He flies recklessly into packs and twice last night took out a saints player and himself without getting the spoil. He's best 22 for now, but he won't be by the time we're challenging again.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:Gears had a poor game last night. Kicked that great goal but otherwise was ineffective. He's courageous to the point of being stupid. He flies recklessly into packs and twice last night took out a saints player and himself without getting the spoil. He's best 22 for now, but he won't be by the time we're challenging again.
Right. And that's my point. Gears needs to try and take the next step. We've got Webster, Goddard, Acres and Mckenzie to bring into the team. People are going to have to go out to get them in. Savage is looking better and better in nailing down a running back role. And that's just who is currently on the list let alone who we draft over the next few years.

Gears is a coaches favourite no doubt. But Richo has a hidden ruthless streak. He sang Stanley's and McEvoys praises before they were traded out. Richo will know he can get away with very few wins this year and be ok. But next year the stakes rise and if Richo feels othe players can give him the wins he needs with more penetrating rebound from the back then it will back to the VFL for Jarryn. If he can't go up a notch then fine, that's the way it is and he will have had a courageous, pretty successful AFL career. But I want to see him at least try to take things on, flatten out his kicking, be more proactive. I think he'll find next year the heat is really on for his position if not even this year.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

One thing that really winds me up is claiming your players are 'under rated' when you are bottom.
When you are bottom - you cant claim anyone is 'under rated'. It is cognitive dissonance in the extreme. AR claiming Geary is 'under rated' is nonsense. Its crap. Hes over rated. If hes 'under rated' we arent bottom. Our core aged players are fairly s***. We need to face some facts. Geary is one of the biggest offenders. Hes probably our 6th highest paid player - yet he wouldnt get a game at the top 4 clubs. That makes him over-rated - by clear definition.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:
mad saint guy wrote:Gears had a poor game last night. Kicked that great goal but otherwise was ineffective. He's courageous to the point of being stupid. He flies recklessly into packs and twice last night took out a saints player and himself without getting the spoil. He's best 22 for now, but he won't be by the time we're challenging again.
Right. And that's my point. Gears needs to try and take the next step. We've got Webster, Goddard, Acres and Mckenzie to bring into the team. People are going to have to go out to get them in. Savage is looking better and better in nailing down a running back role. And that's just who is currently on the list let alone who we draft over the next few years.

Gears is a coaches favourite no doubt. But Richo has a hidden ruthless streak. He sang Stanley's and McEvoys praises before they were traded out. Richo will know he can get away with very few wins this year and be ok. But next year the stakes rise and if Richo feels othe players can give him the wins he needs with more penetrating rebound from the back then it will back to the VFL for Jarryn. If he can't go up a notch then fine, that's the way it is and he will have had a courageous, pretty successful AFL career. But I want to see him at least try to take things on, flatten out his kicking, be more proactive. I think he'll find next year the heat is really on for his position if not even this year.
I think the fastest way for Jarryn to find himself out of the side is to do what you are saying. He'll never have the kicking of Savage, no matter how hard he tries, the same way Savage will never intercept mark in front of Cloke or tag Ablett. If & when Acres/Webster/Goddard/Wright/McKenzie take Geary's place in the side we will be a better team and that's a great thing. But asking Geary to "take the next step and become a damaging player by foot" is just silly - his weakness is kicking, it's not related to effort.

Right now he's probably leading our B&F, so is going okay... I can't wait for these young skillful guys to replace him to be honest, but most of the time it just doesn't happen.

100 games generally means players are reaching their peak, it doesn't mean that you suddenly dominate the comp or can spear passes in that you never have in your career before. Jarryn is playing some great football right now, because he is playing to his strengths.

Also I think Richo arrived after McEvoy was traded?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:One thing that really winds me up is claiming your players are 'under rated' when you are bottom.
When you are bottom - you cant claim anyone is 'under rated'. It is cognitive dissonance in the extreme. AR claiming Geary is 'under rated' is nonsense. Its crap. Hes over rated. If hes 'under rated' we arent bottom. Our core aged players are fairly s***. We need to face some facts. Geary is one of the biggest offenders. Hes probably our 6th highest paid player - yet he wouldnt get a game at the top 4 clubs. That makes him over-rated - by clear definition.
Maybe he is talking about a player able to do a variety of jobs for the team which might not be recognised by people outside the club - not whether he is over or under paid.

How much do you think Geary is on? I reckon all of these guys would be on similar coin or more Riewoldt, Steven, Armo, Joey, Fisher, Dempster, Billings, Dunstan, Gilbert, Newnes, Ray, HIckey, Delaney, Membrey...

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:Also I think Richo arrived after McEvoy was traded?
I think you're right :oops: I reckon Geary would be on pretty good dosh - he's 27 with 100 games under belt. I'm disappointed in his lack of dare from a senior player when the heat is on - doesn't set a good example. But I guess we agree to disagree.