changes for next week

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

spert
Saintsational Legend

Re: changes for next week

Regardless of who comes in and out, the midfield is B grade and it's our major weakness- no defensive game and basically a bunch of headless chickens once they lose possession, with no obvious structure or discipline..pretty ordinary coaching in general I thought yesterday..but that's another story.
Paddy needs more work in the VFL to build his conditioning- plenty of skill there though. Saad seems a bit off pace and not really into the game tempo yet. Looks like Roo won't come back yet from injury, so good luck to whoever gets in.

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

Saint wagga wrote:Out: Mcartin, Lonie, Sinclair, Schneider,
In: Roo if fit, otherwise White,joey, Minchi (as long as his form is strong in vfl), acres ( ditto Minchi)

Why Mcartin played instead of spencer white is beyond me when the senior coach comes out after the game and says he wasn't ready!! Am I the only one who thought spencer looked more than up to afl standard with his very limited opportunities late last year. Could he be a worse player this year, me thinks not!! FFS give the guy a go and reward forwards who kick goals at afl level! Vfl form not the only indicator
Spencer injured his ankle last week.

Maybe that was a factor...

maverick
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
maverick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Bluthy wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Schneider isn't going to be dropped. may as well say dempster.
Schneider will be dropped. Demps was disappointingly quiet last night but is still integral to our defensive structure. Schneider isn't integral to anything particularly the future. He let the pies backs push up high without fear. He racked up possessions because pies didn't really care where he was. WAs he actually playing on someone because I never noticed him on anyone.

No he wont be dropped. You need to open both eyes when watching a game and not hoped to prove right from what you wrote on here before the game. He was in our best 10 so he is safe. he came straight back after missing a week so he is safe. We need as much experience as possible so he is safe. Your other eyes needs to opened otherwise it wont be safe.
How was he in our best 10?
Was it the horrendous chip across the HF line that started the Pies run on in the first?
Or maybe the numerous hospital handballs to his team mates?
probably won't be dropped, but that is an issue in itself.

Interested in the 12 to be dropped before him?
4 posts ago you said there was probably 12 worse and now you are disagreeing because I again said he wont be dropped. He was in our best 10 because at least 12 were worse. And when did I say 12 will be dropped before him? What idiot would even slightly say that. Yep he made a few mistakes otherwise he may have been third best. That cost him probably 6 positions in the best. 12 off the top of the head that were worse were Geary, Bruce, McCartin, Dempster, Wright, Lonie, Shenton, Saad, Weller, longer, Billings and Membery.
I thought you said you would drop 12 before Schneider.
Definitely thought Geary, Weller, and Membrey were better and Wright was sub so wouldn't count him

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I would not advocate changes until we see how the boys go tomorrow. Although Saad, Lonie ( gotta check his knee out properly), Schneider, and a few others should be under notice.

saintbob
SS Life Member

In: Webster, Goddard, Mckenzie

Out: McCartin, Lonie and Wright

Play Goddard forward in the Reiwoldt role, a lead up target as he seems to have good mobility and his marking seems fairly strong. That would allow us to push Bruce and Membrey deep in the goal square.

Mckenzie to play Lonie's role and Webster HBF or Wing, we desperately need his ball use going forward.

Schneider stays, yep he plays loose but I reckon that's to instruction from AR but it was horrible disposal coming out of our backline which was what caught him out. 5 times he had good separation and the ball carrier failed to hit the target and I hate to say it but Jack Newnes' was one of the worst.

Middo
Club Player

Bluthy wrote:In: Hickey, Joey, Acres, McKenzie, Webster (if available)

Out: Longer (needs a break), Schneider (has liabilities around ball winning and run), Shenton (needs a break), Saad (still don't know what he really gives us), Sinclair (needs a break)

Paddy deserves another game in dry conditions when not starved of fwd 50 entries.
Surely Lonie goes before Sinclair , he's been our best young kid so far !!

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

I would love to see Webster in the side - we need efficient and precise delivery off half back like oxygen right now - but for what it's worth, Richo did say on Cruch Time yesterday that Jimmy will play for Sandy on Sunday but is "several weeks away"

Go you red, black & white warriors
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

After yesterdays Sandy game, it may be Lee and Minchington to come in. Who would have thopught that?

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Out: McCartin, Lonie
In: Hickey, Lee

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

This week is one of our few very winnable games for the season...so will be a great shame if both Roo and Joey miss.
As the club will know it is very winnable I expect this week that they will put the strategy of developing players aside and instead go for our best possible team. They will be very keen to finally wina game in NZ and will also know that another win now will help to kick along membership sales.

Therefore I expect McCartin to be demoted.

Lee and Hickey will be both be seriously looked at. The Blkues are not strong in the ruck though, and so club may just go with Longer again rather than Longer and Hickey.

Lonie may be rested to be cautious on his knee. That may give Minchinton or Curren a chance for a recall. If they opt for an extra tall up forward White may also gain a recall, though I am not sure his form has been good enough yet.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
resaintlee
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:Schneider isn't going to be dropped. may as well say dempster.
Unfortunately Schneider turned the ball over with the majority of his disposals earlier in the game when it mattered.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I think Shents holds his spot until Gilbo and Webster are ready to go.

In: White, Webster, Hickey
Out: Paddy, Lonie, Saad

Go taller but White as the Sub and Wright to start.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:I think Shents holds his spot until Gilbo and Webster are ready to go.

I think something has to be changed with the backline. We've got too many cover defenders who don't give any effective attack the other way to keep the oppo honest. Geary, Shenton, Dempster & Delaney are basically stoppers. As Richo pointed out on the footy show, a lot of pies fwd 50 entries were us ineffectively scrambling it out and then it coming straight back in. I think Shenton needs to give way. Maybe Goddard comes in to give him a tall and let Fisher be more creative. Start Wright to have twin running backs breaking the lines with Savage. Get Acres in - he can switch play with long kicking.

If they want the players to be bold and take the game on with run and dash then the selectors need to set an example by not being so conservative. Picking a guy we delisted last year because he was too slow, in 3 out of the first 4 games isn't exactly being brave at the selection table and backing the future. Isn't our brand Dare? Hypocrisy much?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:I think Shents holds his spot until Gilbo and Webster are ready to go.

I think something has to be changed with the backline. We've got too many cover defenders who don't give any effective attack the other way to keep the oppo honest. Geary, Shenton, Dempster & Delaney are basically stoppers. As Richo pointed out on the footy show, a lot of pies fwd 50 entries were us ineffectively scrambling it out and then it coming straight back in. I think Shenton needs to give way. Maybe Goddard comes in to give him a tall and let Fisher be more creative. Start Wright to have twin running backs breaking the lines with Savage. Get Acres in - he can switch play with long kicking.

If they want the players to be bold and take the game on with run and dash then the selectors need to set an example by not being so conservative. Picking a guy we delisted last year because he was too slow, in 3 out of the first 4 games isn't exactly being brave at the selection table and backing the future. Isn't our brand Dare? Hypocrisy much?

I thought you would Schneider in the conversation. Done well but you will be disappointed on Thursday and then you will again bag the club because they don't agree with you. Maybe you have it wrong.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Its not a simple question of right or wrong Plugger in your normal black and white (a stripe of red) way. We are in the (blowhard) opinion business here. The selectors have been doing a tough balancing act the last couple of years blending youth with experience. There is no one clear cut correct way. In my most humblest of opinion selecting Schneids now, tilts the balance the wrong way when I don't think he's that effective out there - he's slow, doesn't get his own footy, gets shut down quickly when he does get it because he doesn't have the turn of foot like he used to. Schneids was allowed to run around by himself last week with Collingwood players backing themselves to do more damage than he can and knowing as soon as he gets it they can close the net on him and make him do an ineffectual possession. But you just look at the stats Plugger. That suits your black and white (and stripe of red) world.

lefty
Club Player

cwrcyn wrote:Out: McCartin, Lonie
In: Hickey, Lee
Seems about right to me, only if Lonie is injured though.
If Lee is playing in the backline in the reserves, it doesn't make sense that he's magically playing forward. Might as well pick White instead.

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

I would like to see Saunders come in for Lonie. I don't think the team can support Saad, Sinclair and Lonie in the same side and Lonie is #3 of them at the minute. I like Saunders attack on the ball and he has a little mongrel and wild card about him.

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
spert
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:Its not a simple question of right or wrong Plugger in your normal black and white (a stripe of red) way. We are in the (blowhard) opinion business here. The selectors have been doing a tough balancing act the last couple of years blending youth with experience. There is no one clear cut correct way. In my most humblest of opinion selecting Schneids now, tilts the balance the wrong way when I don't think he's that effective out there - he's slow, doesn't get his own footy, gets shut down quickly when he does get it because he doesn't have the turn of foot like he used to. Schneids was allowed to run around by himself last week with Collingwood players backing themselves to do more damage than he can and knowing as soon as he gets it they can close the net on him and make him do an ineffectual possession. But you just look at the stats Plugger. That suits your black and white (and stripe of red) world.
Putting it bluntly, Schneids is gone IMO. His real value used to be chipping in for a few goals or setting up goals with clever play and positioning, but those days are gone, great player he has been though.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:
Bluthy wrote:Its not a simple question of right or wrong Plugger in your normal black and white (a stripe of red) way. We are in the (blowhard) opinion business here. The selectors have been doing a tough balancing act the last couple of years blending youth with experience. There is no one clear cut correct way. In my most humblest of opinion selecting Schneids now, tilts the balance the wrong way when I don't think he's that effective out there - he's slow, doesn't get his own footy, gets shut down quickly when he does get it because he doesn't have the turn of foot like he used to. Schneids was allowed to run around by himself last week with Collingwood players backing themselves to do more damage than he can and knowing as soon as he gets it they can close the net on him and make him do an ineffectual possession. But you just look at the stats Plugger. That suits your black and white (and stripe of red) world.
Putting it bluntly, Schneids is gone IMO. His real value used to be chipping in for a few goals or setting up goals with clever play and positioning, but those days are gone, great player he has been though.
Well he was delisted last year which says it all really. I thought he was rookied to be insurance when the young kids start to struggle later in the year and to help train the young kids. A good article on the saints website about the good young players that are pushing for selection. http://www.saints.com.au/news/2015-04-2 ... round-four

I'd rather Eli, Curren or Minch come in for Schneids to give more run, energy and pressure acts if nothing else. These days you can't afford to have players who can't put intense pressure on. It lets the oppo break away and spread and they'll cut you up.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:
spert wrote:
Well he was delisted last year which says it all really. I thought he was rookied to be insurance when the young kids start to struggle later in the year and to help train the young kids. A good article on the saints website about the good young players that are pushing for selection. http://www.saints.com.au/news/2015-04-2 ... round-four

I'd rather Eli, Curren or Minch come in for Schneids to give more run, energy and pressure acts if nothing else. These days you can't afford to have players who can't put intense pressure on. It lets the oppo break away and spread and they'll cut you up.
I have to admit it peeves me a bit when we keep playing Schneids. I am happy to have him around as back-up and for his coaching etc and everyone knows the kids will either get injured or get tired as the year goes on but playing him at the start of the season is a waste of everyone's time. What are we achieving? or in the Latin quo vardis Saints?
You cant have a bob each way. We are in a rebuild - embrace it.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Bluthy wrote:
spert wrote:

I have to admit it peeves me a bit when we keep playing Schneids. I am happy to have him around as back-up and for his coaching etc and everyone knows the kids will either get injured or get tired as the year goes on but playing him at the start of the season is a waste of everyone's time. What are we achieving? or in the Latin quo vardis Saints?
You cant have a bob each way. We are in a rebuild - embrace it.
Without Joey and Rooy we need Schneider. We have a rebuild going. Just because we have 5 or 6 over 30 years of age doesn't mean we aren't rebuilding. Players in the seconds probably aren't ready. We saw that with McCartin last week. When a few injuries come back im sure Schneider will probably make way. If we went to young we may end up with a percentage like last year and I don't think that helps anyone.

spert
Saintsational Legend

We don't need Schneids unless he is playing to, or close to the standard of his best form of years ago, and leading by example, otherwise he is a GOP at the moment, and his experience and presence against Collingwood didn't give us anything.. we need to reward guys who do well at Sandy- Minch, Hickey, Lee, Goddard etc

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

No Roo or Joey. One other in doubt, but sorry no names.

bigballs
Club Player

tony74 wrote:No Roo or Joey. One other in doubt, but sorry no names.
Thanks for the info Tony.

I read somewhere that Dunstan got a knock last week, so it wouldn't surprise me if he is the one in doubt.

Saint wagga
Club Player

tony74 wrote:No Roo or Joey. One other in doubt, but sorry no names.
Thanks Tony. Gee that decsion to play Joey rd 1, which i'm sure he had a big say in, is looking a very bad call, but hindsight is a wonder :-) You'd also think that Lonie would be sore after twisting his knee. Young yes, and rubbery yes, but he'd still be sore. Pretty easily leave him to rest it up and get it feeling 100% right. But if the healing power of youth has already got it back to 100%, then he should hold his spot.

Jake Nial thinks Mccartin will hold his spot - i'm happy with that. If he's injury free, he should play as often as possible in the 1's IMO if there is a spot there as 3rd tall.