Umps give you a reasonable run and....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Re: Umps give you a reasonable run and....

12-2 yesterday and the WB jumped away next half the umps even the count and look out we win. The only win Carlton have had it was a ridiculously one sided umpiring display. No coincidence the Blues had Malthouse record game the week later.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
gringo
Saintsational Legend

That first half was awful and looked corrupt. They must have been told to get their s*** together in the second half. We should really just go back to one umpire. Most fans would rather miss half the frees than have little dictators swaying the competition the way they want it to go because of petty gripes or predetermined ideas of who should win. It's still a major blight on the game.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:12-2 yesterday and the WB jumped away next half the umps even the count and look out we win. The only win Carlton have had it was a ridiculously one sided umpiring display. No coincidence the Blues had Malthouse record game the week later.
I actually noted the frees as we went as I noticed how many they were getting. I think we got one of the stats for a free that was paid to them. I think It was 1 free for the whole half. I might have missed a played on one at the other end though. It was embarrassingly one sided and often would have the identical action go the other way for a free kick.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

According to Smart Replay it was 14-3 in the first half:

http://www.afl.com.au/video/smart-replay

I haven't gone to the trouble of reviewing each one but someone should do that and tell us if they were justified or not.

SideshowMilne
Club Player

Dermie once described club likability as a tide. The tide has been against us for I reckon 5 years+. Negative stories were favoured by the press, negative opinion by fans, and I've thought the benefit of the doubt with respect to 50/50s has run hard against us. The tide thankfully has turned IMO, and we are now invariably a good story, colleagues sidle us at the bubbler with praise and we will start to get a better for/against.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:According to Smart Replay it was 14-3 in the first half:

http://www.afl.com.au/video/smart-replay

I haven't gone to the trouble of reviewing each one but someone should do that and tell us if they were justified or not.
3 of them were.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

saynta wrote:
CURLY wrote:Amazing that without a huge run of frees against you can remain competitive. Collingwood 13 frees to 1 after quarter time and Carlton 22- 6 to half time.

In saying that if David Armitage was looked after like Pendlebury or Murphy he would have got ten frees yesterday.
Also worth mentioning that there was no way that little slug, Razor Ray should have called that kick from Dempster, a deliberate out.
Was it really that different from the Aker deliberate in the 2009 Prelim?

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

I've watched the replay twice. On the whole I thought the umps were pretty good. A few errors, but both in our favour and not in our favour.

Funny how the side playing better footy, running harder, being first to the contest and harder at the ball was paid more frees in each half.

mullet
Saintsational Legend

SideshowMilne wrote:Dermie once described club likability as a tide. The tide has been against us for I reckon 5 years+. Negative stories were favoured by the press, negative opinion by fans, and I've thought the benefit of the doubt with respect to 50/50s has run hard against us. The tide thankfully has turned IMO, and we are now invariably a good story, colleagues sidle us at the bubbler with praise and we will start to get a better for/against.
Speaking of Dermie, he seemed quite chuffed for us. Perhaps we did the right thing in sacking his mate after all hey Derm.
Anyway glad he enjoyed the game