Changes for this week against the Lions

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Re: Changes for this week against the Lions

Bernard Shakey wrote:People here just throwing up names without having any idea or having seen them play.
Hugh will not play this week, he's still learning how to position himself.
Ray is not physically ready yet.
Ditto Seb, but he's ahead of Faz.

Nobody screaming for Spencer this week?

Tommy Lee must play, but not as sub!
Your changes, or have I missed them?

saintbob
SS Life Member

In: Roo, Lonie, Goddard and Ross

Out: Fisher, Templeton, Dunstan and Hickey

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Obviously if Riewoldt is ready, then he's back. As Fisher is injured, he's out. Webster may also be rested.

Not sure the Longer & Hickey combination is working, so probably rest one. Membrey was pretty good, deserves to stay in the team.

I'm not sure that Delaney is an automatic return, perhaps this is an opportunity to try Lee.

Templeton hasn't convinced he he's quite ready, perhaps he could make way for Lonie or Minch is he's ready.

Then we have Geary, Ray and Ross, any of whom could replace Webster assuming they're ready. Reckon Weller has been good enough to hold his spot in the team.

Still to come into the team are Gilbert, Goddard and Paddy when they're fit and ready.

Hope we beat Brisbane

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Of our two ruckmen. I would be dropping Hickey after the game against WCE. He dropped too many simple marks. If anyone is to make way for Roo, it should be Hickey.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:Of our two ruckmen. I would be dropping Hickey after the game against WCE. He dropped too many simple marks. If anyone is to make way for Roo, it should be Hickey.

As opposed to Longer who never took a mark. Its funny how some in this thread want Lee to play for a month no matter what his form but others want Hickey dropped because of one poor game compared to Longer last 4 poor games. It seems that one really poor game from Hickey overrides his last 2 pretty good games. Probably proves my point that players should never be given a month in the seniors no matter the form.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

A coach can't make any guarantees to play anyone for consecutive weeks. It would send a bad message to the playing group, especially to the players who are playing well in the VFL but can't crack a game. It has to be a week to week proposition.

If a coach has it in his head to play a guy for consecutive weeks, I doubt he would tell the player. Fear of being dropped is a great motivator.

I can't imagine coaches like Ross Lyon or Leigh Mathews making these sort of promises.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
borderbarry wrote:Of our two ruckmen. I would be dropping Hickey after the game against WCE. He dropped too many simple marks. If anyone is to make way for Roo, it should be Hickey.

As opposed to Longer who never took a mark. Its funny how some in this thread want Lee to play for a month no matter what his form but others want Hickey dropped because of one poor game compared to Longer last 4 poor games. It seems that one really poor game from Hickey overrides his last 2 pretty good games. Probably proves my point that players should never be given a month in the seniors no matter the form.

Except Hickey hasn't had to be the number one ruck so he doesn't have heaps of exposed form there. I'm not sure Longer has been poor for 4 weeks anyway. He isn't knocking on the door for AA but he's getting hit outs. His around the ground work isn't outstanding but not many rucks are that great around the ground. Lee should come in on the back of about 5 weeks of excellent VFL footy and they might as well give him 3 or 4 weeks to adjust to the game at CHB. Nothing wrong with that at all. Fisher probably is about 3 weeks away if he's done a hammy at his age maybe even 4 depending on severity.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Except Hickey hasn't had to be the number one ruck so he doesn't have heaps of exposed form there. I'm not sure Longer has been poor for 4 weeks anyway. He isn't knocking on the door for AA but he's getting hit outs. His around the ground work isn't outstanding but not many rucks are that great around the ground. Lee should come in on the back of about 5 weeks of excellent VFL footy and they might as well give him 3 or 4 weeks to adjust to the game at CHB. Nothing wrong with that at all. Fisher probably is about 3 weeks away if he's done a hammy at his age maybe even 4 depending on severity.

Seriously hit outs could be the most overated thing in footy. he has hardly touched the ball in the last 4 weeks whilst his opponents have nearly had their best game for the year. I think people know Hickey can play around the ground. Its no as if we are trying a Membery in the ruck. If Hickey is dropped and Longer stays I will be really pissed off. Either both stay or Longer goes. IMO of course.

Longer last 4 games consist of 8 kicks, 7 marks and 17 handballs. No goals but plenty of hit outs 124.
Hickey only 4 games consist of 25 kicks, 14 marks and 24 handballs. 3 goals 3 behinds and only 49 hitouts.

I know which one I would take but each to their own.
Last edited by plugger66 on Tue 26 May 2015 2:15pm, edited 1 time in total.

kp83
Club Player

OUT: Hickey, Eli, Fisher (inj), Dunstan

IN: Roo, Lonie, Lee, Minch

saynta
Saintsational Legend

kp83 wrote:OUT: Hickey, Eli, Fisher (inj), Dunstan

IN: Roo, Lonie, Lee, Minch
I think Delaney, Roo, Geary and Lonie will all be ins if passed fit.

Fisher is the only definite out at this point.

Vazelos
Club Player

Agree saynta Delaney, Roo, Geary and Lonie will all play if passed fit.
Out will be Fisher, Templeton, Shenton if Webster is fit & maybe Hickey.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

ins
Roo, geary, Delaney and Lonie

Outs
Longer, Templeton, Shenton and Fisher

Lee plays if Delaney cant. Hickey must ruck because there is no way Longer can go with Martin.

Vazelos
Club Player

You may be right plugger, Longer instead of Hickey.
The rest we agree.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Plus Hickey is a Brisbane Boy.

He has been in good form, and creates options for our small forwards.

He should have run into some match fitness now and so I personally would love to see him given a game as the No 1 ruck. He has earnt the chance.

If you rest Longer can bring in Roo, Delaney and Lee. This allows yoiu to keep Membrey who otherwise would probably have to go.

Potentially we could have our best balanced team for the year this week. Fisher is a real loss, but Lee should be good coverage given the lack of big Lion forwards.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Out... Fisher (inj), Templeton, Hickey and Dunstan,

In.... Lee, Roo, Delaney, Ross.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Im completely baffled by the love Longer gets and the lack of it for Hickey.

Longer is developing, at a very slow rate mind you, and is good at the hit outs. Hickey is a miles better player as it stands right now, actually gets the ball, both in the air and is very competitive on the ground for a guy his size.

He hasn't been playing his natural position and still performing better than Longer.

As P66 rightly points out, Longer's direct opponent has had their best game of the season matched up against him as a) he is very poor defensively, and b)they know he is a hopeless forward threat so they show him no respect. It would be a coaching directive to exploit Longer when matched up against us.

Would be a very strange move to send Hickey back to the VFL and go one out with Longer. Annoyingly strange.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

I was at the game and Shenton was definitely one of our better players. I would be disappointed if he were to be dropped.

Saint wagga
Club Player

Based on nearly 1.5 seasons of selections, the match commitee are fairly conservative and if there are injuries, wont make too many more changes based on form...Richo Constabtly bangs on about synergy...he obviously values continuity and avoiding wholsale changes...that said.

In: Roo - a lock if fit
Lonie - should be a lock if fit
Delaney - a lock if fit
Geary (leadership group member - surely straight in if available), peoples thoughts on this statement?
Out: Membrey - (unlucky, but needs to offer more around the ground IMO to be more versatile at selection, needs to be able to rotate thru the mid field at least a little given his size. Think he can become a very good player for us. Has sticky hands and is a strong body. Looks a good team man as well)
Eli - (I don't like to make this call, because i really like Eli, but he's been good, not great, and Lonie is the incumbent and has been great)
Fisher (injured)
Shenton - like for like out for Geary. Unlcuky as he did ok, but Geary is clearly ahead of him in the pecking order.

I'd like to see other players given opportunity, guys like Minchi, McCartin and Goddard but this doesn't seem to be the week given the amount of players returning from injury that are a more certain lock.

RW&B
Club Player

I'd like to see
IN: Roo, Lonie, Lee, Geary
OUT: Longer, Templeton, Fisher, Shenton

"I'm a better coach when Nick Riewoldt is in the side" - Ross Lyon 2007
bigballs
Club Player

Out: Chips, Templeton, Membrey
In: Rooey, Lonie, Delaney

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

In - Rooey, Lee, Lonie.

Out - Fisher, Templeton, Longer.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

We were already too short at the back last week after Delaney went out. Surely with Fisher injured we need two tall backs to come in if possible.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:We were already too short at the back last week after Delaney went out. Surely with Fisher injured we need two tall backs to come in if possible.
Against any team other than Brisbane, yes. But their last actual key forward (McStay) is now injured and Leuenberger seems to be the only fit player over 190cm on their list who can play forward, and he's not particularly good at it. It's the smalls in Green, Zorko and Christensen who are the main threats to us this week so I think we need to bring Geary in. Lee definitely deserves a crack but I'm just not sure if Brisbane are going to have more than one tall forward this week. Matthew Hammelman seems to be their only other option and he's a 19 year old rookie who hasn't played a senior game. Roo can always drift down to half back and help out if we're getting beaten in the air as well. Brisbane are also very undermanned in defence so I think we should go tall up forward and expose this.

Out: Fisher (inj), Webster (conc), Shenton, Templeton
In: Delaney, Riewoldt, Geary, Lonie

B: McKenzie, Delaney, Geary
HB: Savage, Dempster, Newnes
C: Montagna, Armitage, Roberton
HF: Billings, Riewoldt, Membrey
F: Lonie, Bruce, Hickey

Foll: Longer, Steven, Weller
Int: Dunstan, Acres, Sinclair, Schneider (sub)

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Out
Chips Templeton Membry Shenton (even though I gave him a vote last week)

In
Roo Lee Geary Lonie

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

Out: Fisher (inj), Templeton, Longer
In: Riewoldt, Lonie, Delaney