Indigenous Round Jumpers 2015

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Re: Indigenous Round Jumpers 2015

plugger66 wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:
stjay wrote:Think it is great that it was designed and represents the Boonwurrung nation. It is such an important part of the history of the Saints heartland and something we should really look to embrace. Would love to see the Boonwurrung elders open the new Moorabin development and even be incorporated into match day celebrations.
Never heard of them. What area did they roam/live in? What was their population?

Look it up instead of being disrespectful.
How is that disrespectful?

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:
stjay wrote:Think it is great that it was designed and represents the Boonwurrung nation. It is such an important part of the history of the Saints heartland and something we should really look to embrace. Would love to see the Boonwurrung elders open the new Moorabin development and even be incorporated into match day celebrations.
Never heard of them. What area did they roam/live in? What was their population?

How is that disrespectful?

Sounds disrespectful. Maybe I was wrong. If so sorry. I go on form though.

stjay
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:

What are you on about?

It's a question. Plenty of people ask questions about things they could look up. I'm asking someone with knowledge about it. Not Wikipedia.

I think you're the one being disrespectful re someone's first hand knowledge plugs
Fair enough. The only reason I know anything (and it's not voluminous) about this is bc the subject interests me. I guess it shows we should be doing more to let people know about the history of this great country and the First Nations people who are its custodians.

I will simply give you a link to wikipedia and the Boon Wurrung Foundation. If you are truly interested this will give you the best background.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bunurong
http://www.boonwurrung.org/

gringo
Saintsational Legend

St Kilda is Euro Yuroke or Euroe Yroke in the Boon Warrung language. The Kulin are our local indigenous population for St Kilda and interestingly had settled huts along the beach to Albert Park. It a point of contention in land rights claims that they never had settlements with any kind of fixed housing which seems unlikely in melbourne's climate. Anyway St kilda has a heritage that is quite interesting. I also got to know a guy named Robbie Hunter who was the chief of a group that used to travel back and forth between Murray bridge in SA.

stjay
Club Player

gringo wrote:St Kilda is Euro Yuroke or Euroe Yroke in the Boon Warrung language. The Kulin are our local indigenous population for St Kilda and interestingly had settled huts along the beach to Albert Park. It a point of contention in land rights claims that they never had settlements with any kind of fixed housing which seems unlikely in melbourne's climate. Anyway St kilda has a heritage that is quite interesting. I also got to know a guy named Robbie Hunter who was the chief of a group that used to travel back and forth between Murray bridge in SA.
I hadn't heard any of that before, that's excellent. Only a few years ago there used to be a strong indigenous community in the area which seems to have been largely pushed out as the place was gentrified.
If we are talking about wanting to be inclusive as a club by getting involved in advocacy of LGBTI Pride which is a worthwhile intiative and another important aspect of St.Kilda's cultural diversity then why not also champion the indigenous cause by bringing the Boon wurrung people into our celebrations?
If we are really going to be a club that represents the area and its community then we need to go further on this issue IMO.

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

liked ours today thought it looked great.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Looks much better up close, than from a distance, where it looks almost totally white, with no colourful or standout features.

stevie
Saintsational Legend

Not sure how it looked on telly but the Lions numbers were virtually invisible

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:
Sainternist wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:I think we should stop complaining. Its becoming synonymous with this place
Yes, time for everyone to just shut up and just accept mediocrity.
It has nothing to do with mediocrity but it's all about the whinging.
It's a jumper design.
Not whinging at all. I'm commented on it being a mediocre design. For the designers, they have a chance to prove their salt in their profession. But instead they are producing stuff which will make it to the blooper reels for years down the track. Think about it.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

stevie wrote:Not sure how it looked on telly but the Lions numbers were virtually invisible
The concept is becoming a joke. Even clown suits are taken more seriously. It's time for sensible bloody designs to be put together. No one wants to buy these jerseys. It's embarrassing for the fans, embarrassing for the clubs and it's embarrassing for the game.

stevie
Saintsational Legend

They played the national anthem before the game today. An Aboriginal guy sang it in a native language then sang it in English.

Not sure why they played it as the players weren't even on the field. Anyone know if they did it at other games this weekend?

stjay
Club Player

Sainternist wrote:
stevie wrote:Not sure how it looked on telly but the Lions numbers were virtually invisible
The concept is becoming a joke. Even clown suits are taken more seriously. It's time for sensible bloody designs to be put together. No one wants to buy these jerseys. It's embarrassing for the fans, embarrassing for the clubs and it's embarrassing for the game.
Ok I'll bite.
How is the concept a joke? 83k+ at the G, 3rd biggest home'n'away crowd between those two teams when neither club is really up and about. I don't think the guernsey needs to be asthetically pleasing or sell off the shelf to make the concept a success, it runs a little deeper than that. Personally I was not enthralled or put off by our jumper today - thought the symbolism behind it was good though.
Sorry I totally disagee with your view on this but I guess that's what makes the world go 'round.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

stjay wrote:
Sainternist wrote:
Ok I'll bite.
How is the concept a joke? 83k+ at the G, 3rd biggest home'n'away crowd between those two teams when neither club is really up and about. I don't think the guernsey needs to be asthetically pleasing or sell off the shelf to make the concept a success, it runs a little deeper than that. Personally I was not enthralled or put off by our jumper today - thought the symbolism behind it was good though.
Sorry I totally disagee with your view on this but I guess that's what makes the world go 'round.
Measured post

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
arpstk
Club Player

The jumper is now synonymous with a great win and being white there is plenty of space for player signatures. I will be getting one for sure.
Admit maybe it would look better fashionista-wise as a home black jersey but its not a major drama for me

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I think the biggest issue design wise is that the jumpers are often designed by an artist and then they are sent off to be cleaned up by the graphic artists. Part of the charm of indigenous art is the rusticity of the design that has millennia of history in it. Unfortunately by the time the designers get to it and make it all neat and symmetrical it ends up like psychedelic wall paper designs from the 1970s. It's a great opportunity for people to get an opportunity to design something they wouldn't usually have a chance to do though.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

Well just line up those that weren't keen on the jumper in front of a firing squad.

That'll fix those pesky supporters.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:Well just line up those that weren't keen on the jumper in front of a firing squad.

That'll fix those pesky supporters.
Nah, someone will come up with a hashtag to save 'em.

stjay
Club Player

Point is, it doesn't need to be something you'd be proud to wear at your next wedding.
Chances are if you're not into indigenous art there will never be a jumper design you'll like.

mambo2706
Club Player

Did anyone else notice that some of the players didn't have the R / 'Recognise' logo on their jumper?

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

I agree with Tom Elliott

Let's get rid of all themed rounds

They are all pretty meaningless

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

stjay wrote:
Sainternist wrote:
Ok I'll bite.
No, not the concept of the Indigenous Round. I was referring to the guernsey designs done for it. They could be SO MUCH BETTER. Ken Done may as well have designed them. No doubt people like Daryl Somers who have absolutely no dress sense are collecting them. I mean, why not design something which looks good and people would actually consider buying? Answer me that.
magnifisaint wrote:
stjay wrote:
Sainternist wrote:
Ok I'll bite.
Measured post
As for you, get in the bin!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:I agree with Tom Elliott

I think they are good. We only have one or two now anyway.

stjay
Club Player

Sainternist wrote:
stjay wrote:
Sainternist wrote:
Ok I'll bite.
No, not the concept of the Indigenous Round. I was referring to the guernsey designs done for it. They could be SO MUCH BETTER. Ken Done may as well have designed them. No doubt people like Daryl Somers who have absolutely no dress sense are collecting them. I mean, why not design something which looks good and people would actually consider buying? Answer me that.

Well, it's about indigenous artists expressing a story or a meaning in their way & style. If it is about asthetics then it loses the authenticity of the artist's expression.
I don't know how much of it is ultimately refined by other designers to make it fit the jersey maybe they could have found a better colour combination and retained the integrity of the design - it was an away jersey after all. But surely at the end of the day the symbolism and message is more important in a round dedicated to indigenous heritage than how fashionable or saleable it might be.

stjay
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:

I think they are good. We only have one or two now anyway.
Why is it that unless it has to do with the diggers or ANZAC we can't get in behind something which is a key aspect of our identity as Australians?
I am not talking cultural appropriation, I am talking about the celebrating the heritage of this great land which is steeped in a cultural history full of wisdom and mysticism.
Some of which we could learn from if we were only willing to listen.

Junior
Club Player

Maybe for Tom we could have brown paper bag round, that should get him interested.

A champion team will always beat a team of champions.