Upgraded rookie. Who do we promote?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Who do we promote next week?

Poll ended at Sat 27 Jun 2015 8:40pm

Jack Sinclair
73%
Adam Schneider
27%

Total votes: 73

sainterryan

Upgraded rookie. Who do we promote?

As we are able to promote one rookie next week, who do we prefer.

Hemi Baxter
Club Player

Re: Upgraded rookie. Who do we promote?

Holmes

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Need to keep stick with the Jacks

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
saintjake
Club Player

No doubt at all that Sinclair has showed plenty of promise, BUT Schneider really should, and probably will be promoted.

He's averaging over 20 disposals per game compared to Sinclair's 12.1 he also averages more tackles and marks.
Don't get me wrong, Sinclair has been fantastic for us and will continue to be for many years.
He's young and will probably tire towards the end of the year anyway.

Every article I've read coming out of the club this year that mentions Schneider is praising him for his leadership around the young guys.
He might be much maligned on here, AND I was certainly calling for his blood after he missed those sitters against the Bombers, but he's in super form. Much better form than Sinclair and deserves to go back on the list.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

saintjake wrote:No doubt at all that Sinclair has showed plenty of promise, BUT Schneider really should, and probably will be promoted.

He's averaging over 20 disposals per game compared to Sinclair's 12.1 he also averages more tackles and marks.
Don't get me wrong, Sinclair has been fantastic for us and will continue to be for many years.

Every article I've read coming out of the club this year that mentions Schneider is praising him for his leadership around the young guys.
He might be much maligned on here, AND I was certainly calling for his blood after he missed those sitters against the Bombers, but he's in super form. Much better form than Sinclair and deserves to go back on the list.
It's a tough one and there's really no right or wrong opinion.

But what you've written is pretty much how I see it.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
saintjake wrote:No doubt at all that Sinclair has showed plenty of promise, BUT Schneider really should, and probably will be promoted.

+1
Good to see this thread hasn't blown up yet

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
S.A Saint
Club Player

I agree with you on most parts there saintjake and I too was calling for his gead after the essendon game.

Credit were credit is due, this is probably his beast season for us.

However id still go with sinclair the only reason is because we have got a few older blokes back in the side with chips gilbo and ray now. Before he was needed with the experience, but now I think we have more thanenoigh and its time to get the game into these kids.

"Heroes are never forgotten, but legends never die"
#gosaintas
Club Player

A mature midfielder averaging 20 possessions vs a young developing gun who is our second best goal scorer. Thanks for the memories Schneider - see ya.

RW&B
Club Player

Sinclair's stats are heavily sub affected so in reality their output on paper is probably a bit closer. However, I too agree with everything you've written. Richo has said on more than one occasion that Sinclair needs to find more of the ball - going "back" (Sinclair hasn't played for Sandy yet) to Sandy and playing as a pure mid rather than a half forward/mid like he does in the seniors might be a really good thing for his development.

"I'm a better coach when Nick Riewoldt is in the side" - Ross Lyon 2007
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

One thing not taken into account is their goals. Schneids has 6 from 9 games, Jack has 11 from 10 games. Only Bruce has kicked more goals than Jack. Great effort from a first year player. And his passing is second to none. I would promote him.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Schneider will get elevated because it's his last year. I think they've seen enough of Sinclair and they'll develop him thru the midfield at Sandy ready for next year.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:Schneider will get elevated because it's his last year. I think they've seen enough of Sinclair and they'll develop him thru the midfield at Sandy ready for next year.

Exactly. It really is a no brainer.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:

+1
Typical ill-informed comment. ;-)

footynut
Club Player

Holmes!

bigballs
Club Player

Would love to see Holmes get promoted, but I think it will be either Schneider or Sinclair that will be elevated.

On a side note - I'm not convinced it will be Schneider's last year. I know he has had injury problems in the past and he only turned 31 in May, so I feel he still has a year or two left in him if he can stay injury free.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote: +1
Ahmed to that, it would be just Saad.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

bigballs wrote:Would love to see Holmes get promoted, but I think it will be either Schneider or Sinclair that will be elevated.

On a side note - I'm not convinced it will be Schneider's last year. I know he has had injury problems in the past and he only turned 31 in May, so I feel he still has a year or two left in him if he can stay injury free.
Has had a very good year. With no elite FA mids likely I expect him to be promoted back the main list at seasons end along with Sinclair. That frees up two new rookies, but also means that 2 more must leave the main list.

Simpkin would seem the only certainty at present. So not sure who the other 5 will be (4 draft picks aand 2 rookies elevated). A lot of tough calls will need to be made. Curren has a contract, but the Saints may just take the salary cap hit next year with no high priced FAs looking likely we have ample room.

White, Markworth, Sippos, Murdoch, Wright, Saunders, Eli and possibly Shenton may all feel the axe.

I expect most, if not all, of our older players to be kept. Maybe just the one may go. If Fisher keeps getting re-injured it may be him, as he is also our oldest player. Perhaps Ray.

Lee I think will be safe due the recent injury histories of both Fsher and Gilbert. But if they have Fisher play on they may make the call.

The next half of the year whether at Sandi or in the seniors is going to be crucial to all of these players. White, Markworth and Siposs all still have achance for redemption, but they are going to need to show something.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Holmes for mine.

We need to fill roles, not just promote a player. While Schneider has had a good year and Sinclair has been a great first year player, we have many of the same type of player.

When it comes to rucks, Billy Longer is having a dip but is up and down, Hickey is struggling and appears to be battling an injury and Pierce is a long way off. Holmes is dominating in the VFL and is giving Sandy's midfielders first use the majority of the time. While at AFL level we are getting belted in the ruck and in the clearances. Further more, Bruce is not a back up ruckman. Can we carry Longer and Holmes in the same side? Probably not, but it wouldn't hurt to put some pressure on Longer, as Hickey certainly isn't at the moment.

Further to that, you don't play a bloke purely for PR purposes, but I have no doubt Holmes' debut would get huge media attention and probably a few thousand more through the gates.

FQF
SS Life Member

SrR I think you are swinging your axe around a little too wildly. Eli and Wright? No chance.

Griggsy
SS Life Member

Who I want and Who they will promote I'm sure will be the opposite

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Has to be The Schneiderman

Shanka

Jack Sinclair for me.

Munga
Saintsational Legend

Holmes is beating down the door and would probably be playing if he wasn't on the rookie list.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
ROLS-LEE
Club Player

Depends on strategy. If a developing year then Holmes or Sinclair to get games into them. If best available then Schneider hands down.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I am conflicted on this issue.

I am going to have to go against myself.

The trade off is games for kids (Sinclair) v Form (Schneider).

I am have an emotional pull towards Sinclair and my thoughts on Schneider are well known.

BUT

I dont like to make emotional or ideological decisions.

So promote Schneider. Let him play out the year and retire as an AFL player.

Obviously we promote Sinclair next year.