Daniel Markworth

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Vazelos
Club Player

Daniel Markworth

Daniel Markworth is 23 years old (born 1992) and has not played a senior game yet due to multiple injuries.
I have never seen him play.
Can someone shed light on his game who has seen him at the zebras.
Is he contracted for next year?

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

Re: Daniel Markworth

Dan is in my opinion the missing link for the saints, he is a tall super quick outside mid with good skills. He would really compliment the strong inside mids that we have cultivated. He can also play forward and be a real threat both in the air and at ground level.
If he could only string a few games together at Sandy and prove his worth he could be invaluable to us in the next few years

anthony_13
Club Player

Our Nat Fyfe?

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

My humble opinion. Will be the difference in 2017 and beyond. ( And a ripping bloke to boot )

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Has not played a single game. Lets keep our strides on.
Obviously has plenty of talent but talent is not everything. Yet to be seen whether his body will hold up to the daily rigours of AFL footy.

stjay
Club Player

Really hope they give him another year. He deserves to get a clear crack at it. Loads of teams have got a "Markworth" on their list.
This year with a thin draft pool doesn't look like a year where you should be doing a big clean out of your list.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Really needs a game or two in the second half of the year if he's any chance of getting another contract IMO.

He lost quite a bit of fitness with the shoulder injury, but hopefully he can get out of the dev squad for starters ASAP.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

He has the talent no question of all kids 2 years ago he was the one I had super hopes for
Just a shame if he never gets the chance to show what he can do

“Yeah….nah””
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:Really needs a game or two in the second half of the year if he's any chance of getting another contract IMO.

He lost quite a bit of fitness with the shoulder injury, but hopefully he can get out of the dev squad for starters ASAP.
If you mean seniors, then I doubt it.

I am sure the coaches and recruiters will be content to judge him on Sandi form and attitude. But yes he needs to show a bit at Sandi in the second half.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
dragit
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
dragit wrote:Really needs a game or two in the second half of the year if he's any chance of getting another contract IMO.

If you mean seniors, then I doubt it.

I am sure the coaches and recruiters will be content to judge him on Sandi form and attitude. But yes he needs to show a bit at Sandi in the second half.
He'll be 24 by the start of next season, so if he hasn't managed a game after 4 years on the list I can't see them keeping him.

I'm sure if he's playing well for Sandy in the next 4-6 weeks they will want to get a look at him at AFL level, to help make a call either way.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

We can afford to carry a project player or two.
Reckon there are a few we can delist this year ahead of him.
He is something different to what we have already.

sasaint
Club Player

Markworth and Murdoch I believe to be our hidden secret weapons (potentially). Both are class players looking for their opportunity and only let down by circumstances and the need for their bodies to become AFL fit. When (and if) they get their bodies right they could be part of a premiership side. (Can only hope). :twisted:

Patience young grasshopper
maverick
Saintsational Legend

Agree on Murdoch too, would love him at HF, perfect size and what a kick…..

Middo
Club Player

Have never really seen anything in Murdoch when he has played , have some gone past him now and he's missed the boat ..?

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
maverick
Saintsational Legend

Middo wrote:Have never really seen anything in Murdoch when he has played , have some gone past him now and he's missed the boat ..?
Very possibly, hope not….
For me Murdoch is one of those players that can kick 3 or 4 and be that strong bodied high HF that bangs around in finals times.
A long way from it at the moment though, I understand…..

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote: Reckon there are a few we can delist this year ahead of him.
White, Simpkin, Minch , Curren (pay out), Pierce........Siposs has half year to show enough to stay. Fisher and Schneider to retire.

That is 6-8.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
dragit
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
maverick wrote: Reckon there are a few we can delist this year ahead of him.
White, Simpkin, Minch , Curren (pay out), Pierce........Siposs has half year to show enough to stay. Fisher and Schneider to retire.

That is 6-8.
While I want Daniel to make it more than anyone on our list, I imagine Curren & Minch are in front of him as they are currently fringe senior players who have shown a bit at AFL level & Siposs is performing better in the VFL..

I'm not sure if richo is a huge fan of markworths which is pretty important...

One more injury and he is done, if he isn't already.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote:My humble opinion. Will be the difference in 2017 and beyond. ( And a ripping bloke to boot )
Great to hear.

When will he debut? Round 22 in 2016??

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Selhurst Saint
Club Player

I also think that Markworth is an ace in the pack, I still have high hopes for him. He must stay on the list.

"...If there has been one recurring theme through this whole shocking mess, it has been the misguided, inflated egos and their ill-judged determination to cling to long-standing old boy friendships. The bad advice that has guided the selfish and culpable James Hird has not only punctuated this saga but symbolised it..."
spert
Saintsational Legend

While we had a huge win against an ordinary team, it was also a result of fielding a balanced team of experience through to inexperience, but with strength across most lines from defence to attack. The pressure for a position in that team needs to be put on at VFL level, and on a consistent basis, so someone like Markworth at his age as an untried player, needs to get his skates on and make an impact, same for Murdoch, though he has shown glimpses of being a possible strong HFF. I think the future focus would be on KPPs down the spine, and with Paddy in the wings, we at least have a big forward coming through and my concern would be getting or developing a good CHB, and Goddard is the likely next off the rank to get into the seniors.

Kernal75
Club Player

Saints on record as saying their list profile is unbalanced and they lack players in the 22-26y.o bracket. Seems logical to me that given his injury troubles and a shallow draft outside the first round, that they will keep Markworth on the list for another season. IMO it's better the devil you know sometimes, especially given the kid has talent. Give him a 1 year contract extension and see if he makes the grade

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

If Markworth had suffered from a string of soft tissue injuries or a recurrence of the same injury then I could see why his position on the list could be in jeopardy.

But he hasn't. He's had an ACL. A bad hammy tear. And a shoulder reco. Three vastly different injuries (although the hammy may have been related to the ACL) two of which can happen to any player.

He's 6'3, runs like the wind & has talent.

We're not yet in a position where we can just drop guys like that off the list. I can't agree with the view that Curren & Minch are ahead of him. Curren especially is very limited and had numerous blokes ahead of him. If he wasn't contracted for 2016 then he'd be in big trouble. Minch at least has so skill and pace but he's also behind a number of blokes for that small forward/mid rotation role.

Marky could be real point of difference in our midfield & it matters not one bit that he's been on the list for 4 seasons (was close to debuting in late 2012, out for all of 2013 with the ACL, came back 2014 & is pushing for senior selection again when his hammy went, and then does his shoulder pre-season 2015).

The kid has talent, athletic traits that we need & is highly intelligent. Glad to hear someone like Tony74 agrees.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

I hope you're right animal enclosure.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I have no problems keeping him for next year.
We have a few who will go before him this year.
But next year is last chance saloon and hope will need to confront reality.

Megamaguire
Club Player

Good Luck Danny Markworth

I hope Dan simply has a decent stretch injury free. Fingers crossed he's over the worst.

G O S A I N T S !

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.