Just a dirty day in the office

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Re: Just a dirty day in the office

#gosaintas wrote:
Teflon wrote:
#gosaintas wrote:We are well on the way to being a decent side. There's a few vets in the team who can't play under pressure and a few kids with the same issue. The vets will be dropped or retire and the kids will improve or make way for others. You gotta like the endeavour for the contest and the way Richo is instilling self belief in the team. Couldn't care less about yesterday's loss. Seems that the kids at Sandy have that same self belief. Time to mix up the team a bit - too many vets in the firsts.
Our challenge will be moving from decent side to great
Yep - we need to nail this draft
Skill and decision making a priority

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

The player endeavour is definitely there. We can all see that. The Coaching "team" seems to be ok - no complaints there.

The consistent skill errors are killing us. We get the ball after a lot of effort, run forward and either miss targets, or just bomb the ball in the general direction. The opposition get easy possession and then race the ball back to a disorganised, out-of-position backline.

As I keep repeating, our Recruiters have to take a lot of blame for this, as "kicking skills" don't seem to be high on their radar. Hawthorn haven't built their team of great kickers, by accident :!:

saynta
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:Great win by the Giants.

I'm so happy for the AFL, GWS and their 261 supporters.

Oh yeah, happy for Teflon too.

Yippee!
First time at that ground for me. Blowing a f****** freezing gale right into my face. Miserable day all around, and that's certainly the coldest I have ever been at the footy.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:

Yippee!
I think it's time you go check "poo poo" again cause you talking it
But whatever makes you happy I guess!

Not as bad as us you saying winning games now won't make a difference to the club, you tanker denier.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Gilbo 13 disposals at 38% efficiency :shock: .

This is what David Gower said about another blonde Queenslander with loads of 'potential'.
Insanity for Watson to be selected again

David Gower noted with characteristic understatement on Saturday: "I think it's fair to say that he is an underachiever." To continue to pick him at his age and expect him suddenly to get better would be the definition of insanity. Michael Clarke's alibi for him on Saturday night was to say that he was still working as hard as anyone in the team, as if hard work excused everything and brooked no further correspondence.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/the ... z3fkmafPCE
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Mon 13 Jul 2015 6:35pm, edited 1 time in total.

SinCitySainter
Club Player

Junction Oval wrote:The player endeavour is definitely there. We can all see that. The Coaching "team" seems to be ok - no complaints there.

The consistent skill errors are killing us. We get the ball after a lot of effort, run forward and either miss targets, or just bomb the ball in the general direction. The opposition get easy possession and then race the ball back to a disorganised, out-of-position backline.

As I keep repeating, our Recruiters have to take a lot of blame for this, as "kicking skills" don't seem to be high on their radar. Hawthorn haven't built their team of great kickers, by accident :!:
I agree with what you are saying but I would argue that the recruiters are not addressing this.
I would suggest that it was a primary focus of the last two drafts.
Look at who we have drafted.

Billings: exceptional disposal skills.
Acres: Reputation as a great user of the ball as well, we haven't seen enough of him to say that he is exceptional but is certainly not a poor user of it.
Dunstan: Uses the ball pretty well for an in and under midfielder.
Templeton: Uses the ball well but maybe does not get enough of it.
Weller and Holmes: One is primarily a tagger and the other is an experiment.

McCartin: Key forward who is supposedly a very reliable kick for goal.
Goddard: Key position defender/swingman with excellent disposal by foot.
DMac: Tall midfielder who also looks like he has great disposal by foot.
Lonie and Sinclair: Both use the ball really well.

There has obviously been a focus on foot skills judging by these selections.

SinCitySainter
Club Player

saynta wrote:

Yippee!
First time at that ground for me. Blowing a f****** freezing gale right into my face. Miserable day all around, and that's certainly the coldest I have ever been at the footy.
Are you old enough to remember the days at Windy Hill or out at Waverley because they were truly horrendous experiences.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SinCitySainter wrote:
saynta wrote:

Yippee!
Are you old enough to remember the days at Windy Hill or out at Waverley because they were truly horrendous experiences.

Surely the day at Waverley when it hailed against the Bears was the coldest day ever at the footy. Well it was for me anyway.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

SinCitySainter wrote:
Junction Oval wrote:The player endeavour is definitely there. We can all see that. The Coaching "team" seems to be ok - no complaints there.

I agree with what you are saying but I would argue that the recruiters are not addressing this.
I would suggest that it was a primary focus of the last two drafts.
Look at who we have drafted.

Billings: exceptional disposal skills.
Acres: Reputation as a great user of the ball as well, we haven't seen enough of him to say that he is exceptional but is certainly not a poor user of it.
Dunstan: Uses the ball pretty well for an in and under midfielder.
Templeton: Uses the ball well but maybe does not get enough of it.
Weller and Holmes: One is primarily a tagger and the other is an experiment.

McCartin: Key forward who is supposedly a very reliable kick for goal.
Goddard: Key position defender/swingman with excellent disposal by foot.
DMac: Tall midfielder who also looks like he has great disposal by foot.
Lonie and Sinclair: Both use the ball really well.

There has obviously been a focus on foot skills judging by these selections.
Agree..

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
tony74
SS Hall of Fame

Munga wrote:
tony74 wrote:We all have them. It was the Clubs turn today. Don't make more of it then needed. Just one of those days.
Hey Tony, does the club know how much we get spanked by the umpires? Can we do anything about it? I'm not saying it cost us the game at all, but nearly every week we're on the bad side of the inconsistent umpiring.
That's another good thing about Matt Finnis. Been in the inner workings of the AFL. Knows which fights to contest, and which can't be won.

Clayton Davis
Club Player

tony74 wrote:We all have them. It was the Clubs turn today. Don't make more of it then needed. Just one of those days.
Appreciation for da info man.

But, "Don't make more of it than needed"??? :shock: That's some right wishful type thinking right there.

Sheeeiiittt!!! Man, this is Sainsational! :lol:

Warning: Press only in situations of extreme disbelief!
######### http://shiiiit.com/ #########
####### Image #######

About a simple man who was horrifically punished by
the powers that be for the terrible crime of trying to
bring light to the common people.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
Teflon wrote:

Yippee!

Not as bad as us you saying winning games now won't make a difference to the club, you tanker denier.
oh for the love of god....

do tell us all Einstein how the win last week over a deplorable Essendon will help us in 5 years im all ears waiting for your statistical brilliance.
Stick to poo for all our our sake.

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Bout sums up my views too which is why Im draft keen and less results worried right now to be honest
We need more elite ball using talent - someone with outside dash and goal sense from the middle would be nice but lets be honest, Hawks have this superior usage right across the park....we are a ways behind.....
I also think recruiters have started to address it but its got to be a focus from now on for sure.
Rebound, intercept footy kills sides from poor kicking.
Clint Jones would be top 10 mids in game if he could kick.....

“Yeah….nah””
saynta
Saintsational Legend

SinCitySainter wrote:
saynta wrote:

Yippee!
I don't really remember Windy Hill but have a collection my dad took me there at least once. I remember a few very wet and cold days at Arctic Park, but nothing came close to the freezing cold blasts at that god forsaken former show grounds oval that the AFL has sunk a cool couple of hundred Mil on.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
Teflon wrote:

Yippee!

oh for the love of god....

do tell us all Einstein how the win last week over a deplorable Essendon will help us in 5 years im all ears waiting for your statistical brilliance.
Stick to poo for all our our sake.
I don't answer ridiculous questions Teflon.

Stop denying what you would prefer the club to do.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
#gosaintas
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:Gilbo 13 disposals at 38% efficiency :shock: .

This is what David Gower said about another blonde Queenslander with loads of 'potential'.

David Gower noted with characteristic understatement on Saturday: "I think it's fair to say that he is an underachiever." To continue to pick him at his age and expect him suddenly to get better would be the definition of insanity. Michael Clarke's alibi for him on Saturday night was to say that he was still working as hard as anyone in the team, as if hard work excused everything and brooked no further correspondence.

Gilbert cannot use the ball when he's under any pressure. He was clean against Ess because it was a training drill. He was disgraceful last week because he was under either real or imaginary pressure. He should never play as a backman again in the seniors - wing/fwd or at Sandy. Continually selecting him as a KPD is insanity, similar to the aussie cricket team selecting the perma spud Watson.

Good post Con.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

#gosaintas wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:Gilbo 13 disposals at 38% efficiency :shock: .

Gilbert cannot use the ball when he's under any pressure. He was clean against Ess because it was a training drill. He was disgraceful last week because he was under either real or imaginary pressure. He should never play as a backman again in the seniors - wing/fwd or at Sandy. Continually selecting him as a KPD is insanity, similar to the aussie cricket team selecting the perma spud Watson.

Good post Con.

I don't see how moving a poor kick to the wing or forward line helps anyone at all. He surely plays back or at sandy. He was good enough to play back when we were a very good side and Im sure enough he can now. If he cant Sandy will like his run. Im backing him and Schneider again this week.

#gosaintas
Club Player

Good post Con.[/quote]

I don't see how moving a poor kick to the wing or forward line helps anyone at all. He surely plays back or at sandy. He was good enough to play back when we were a very good side and Im sure enough he can now. If he cant Sandy will like his run. Im backing him and Schneider again this week.[/quote]

He is at least under less pressure when on the wing than as a KPD so there is a chance that one of his kicks goes to a saints player but in reality, Sandy is where he belongs. Yes he was good in 2009 but that was a while ago and he had better players around him. As a KPD he is a liability and we have better runners than him. Goddrd and Eli replace Gilbert and Schneider.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

#gosaintas wrote:Gilbert cannot use the ball when he's under any pressure. He was clean against Ess because it was a training drill. He was disgraceful last week because he was under either real or imaginary pressure. He should never play as a backman again in the seniors - wing/fwd or at Sandy. Continually selecting him as a KPD is insanity, similar to the aussie cricket team selecting the perma spud Watson.

Good post Con.

I don't see how moving a poor kick to the wing or forward line helps anyone at all. He surely plays back or at sandy. He was good enough to play back when we were a very good side and Im sure enough he can now. If he cant Sandy will like his run. Im backing him and Schneider again this week.[/quote]

He is at least under less pressure when on the wing than as a KPD so there is a chance that one of his kicks goes to a saints player but in reality, Sandy is where he belongs. Yes he was good in 2009 but that was a while ago and he had better players around him. As a KPD he is a liability and we have better runners than him. Goddrd and Eli replace Gilbert and Schneider.[/quote]

That maybe what you want but it wont happen and remember the Thursday thread is about what the club will do. By the way who does Goddard play on and why is Ray still in the side ahead of Schneider?

One thing I will say is you are due to be right because you haven't got close yet.

#gosaintas
Club Player

Agree - why the hell is Ray still in the side...he can go too.

Out : Ray, Schneider and Gilbert

In : DMac, Eli and Goddard

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

#gosaintas wrote:Agree - why the hell is Ray still in the side...he can go too.

And Goddard is playing on who?

#gosaintas
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
#gosaintas wrote:Agree - why the hell is Ray still in the side...he can go too.

And Goddard is playing on who?
Well the Rich side hasn't been picked yet but whichever spud they pick to replace the mighty Tyrone might be a good place to start. Definately not JRoo.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote:That's another good thing about Matt Finnis. Been in the inner workings of the AFL. Knows which fights to contest, and which can't be won.
That's an easy out...

Sometimes you fight the fights that are worth fighting.
Imagine if our players went in to each contest with the attitude of "oh, I can't win that one so I won't try".

The effort matters in every aspect of a club!

Austinnn
Club Player

I think that the job of the CEO of a professional sports club in a powerful league is far different to that of a football player playing 22 matches a year. I would prefer Finnis be smart rather than just a bull at a gate. So far, based on results, he's not the best we've had since I've been following the Saints, which is about 18 years.

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Austinnn wrote:I think that the job of the CEO of a professional sports club in a powerful league is far different to that of a football player playing 22 matches a year. I would prefer Finnis be smart rather than just a bull at a gate. So far, based on results, he's not the best we've had since I've been following the Saints, which is about 18 years.

Harsh Austinn.