Round 22 Adam Goodes

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The Disch
Club Player

Re: Round 22 Adam Goodes

plugger66 wrote:
True Believer wrote:
Austinnn wrote:How about just for starters, consider the years and years of downward dehumanising black people, is some cases using the exact same term. Compare that to the meagre history of dehumanising of white people.
Sorry, I didn't realise the whole issue was one of volume.
I thought it was about how we treat other human beings.
I didn't realise some people's victimhood was more worthy than others...

Black people were called apes because they were believed to be sub human. Primates. A White person might look like alpaca because they look like an alpaca. They aren't saying it because they are or were sub human.
Roo looks like an alpaca

jamesmc
Club Player

The Disch wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
jamesmc wrote:I think it is hilarious.

And he does look like King Kong. So what, everyone looks like some one, he just happens to look like a gorilla.

Well there you go.
Do you think he looks like a gorilla?
Most people do

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
Austinnn wrote:Dear me, never has there been a clearer case of people deliberately missing the point than some on here.

To even imagine that a white person being called an Alpaca in Australia is the same as a Black person being called an ape. That is pure ignorance of the issue. I'm not hysterical for pointing that out, am I? I can quite calmly explain the difference if you really need to be told. I'd rather not. How about just for starters, consider the years and years of downward dehumanising black people, is some cases using the exact same term. Compare that to the meagre history of dehumanising of white people.

To even bother getting worked up about the difference between ape and gorilla. Who let Karl Pilkington on here?

The rest, just mind blowing the lengths of denial people will go to to avoid confronting the truth.

No wonder Australia is in need of people like Adam Goodes today. I hope after he retires other black players are brave enough to risk the treatment he got to try and shine a light on the Shameful side of what many other countries consider a paradise.
Here, here. Much better than I could have ever put it. Well done Austinnn.

Pluggs, you gained a lot of my respect in this thread.

Probably best just to close this thread now IMO.
My inference was to point out that we can be targeted and upset in so many ways no matter what the colour of your skin , immediately I was set upon by the forum guru.
The fact that Plugger gained respect in OLd Mates eyes is a fair indication of how skewed this thread has been and how easily some jump on others at the slightest hint of impropriety .

This type of reaction could turn things for the worse.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

The Disch wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

And he does look like King Kong. So what, everyone looks like some one, he just happens to look like a gorilla.

Well there you go.

No I don't but if I did I wouldn't say it because black people have said that it is racist and if they say it is then it is because they were previously considered sun human. If a white person lived in a country were the majority were black and the whites had been considered sub human in the long past then calling a white an Alpaca would be racist esp[ecially if the whites had made it know that they thought it was racist.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

The Disch wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
True Believer wrote:
Austinnn wrote:How about just for starters, consider the years and years of downward dehumanising black people, is some cases using the exact same term. Compare that to the meagre history of dehumanising of white people.

Black people were called apes because they were believed to be sub human. Primates. A White person might look like alpaca because they look like an alpaca. They aren't saying it because they are or were sub human.
Roo looks like an alpaca
I think he does a little bit as well.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

mullet wrote:
Austinnn wrote:Dear me, never has there been a clearer case of people deliberately missing the point than some on here.

To even imagine that a white person being called an Alpaca in Australia is the same as a Black person being called an ape. That is pure ignorance of the issue. I'm not hysterical for pointing that out, am I? I can quite calmly explain the difference if you really need to be told. I'd rather not. How about just for starters, consider the years and years of downward dehumanising black people, is some cases using the exact same term. Compare that to the meagre history of dehumanising of white people.

To even bother getting worked up about the difference between ape and gorilla. Who let Karl Pilkington on here?

The rest, just mind blowing the lengths of denial people will go to to avoid confronting the truth.

No wonder Australia is in need of people like Adam Goodes today. I hope after he retires other black players are brave enough to risk the treatment he got to try and shine a light on the Shameful side of what many other countries consider a paradise.
why do you talk down to everyone?

I understand how being called an ape is upsetting to Adam. I understand how he regards it as a racist taunt.

Just because people don't agree with you does not mean that they are in denial.

You think that everyone who boos adam is racially motivated to do so. I don't believe that everyone who boos him is doing it to be racist.

I really take exception to people making out that every Australian is racist and that we are some how hiding a dirty secret.

I think its really sad that you are so ashamed of our country. Oh and I do consider our country a paradise.
He does, doesn't he? Talk down to people. His nick actually says it all for me. I have only ever meet two Austinns, both pompous pricks even without the double "n" in one case. And this guy has triple n's. As I said, says it all for me really.

He even had the hide to pm me once.
Last edited by saynta on Tue 28 Jul 2015 8:09pm, edited 1 time in total.

anthony_13
Club Player

Life Long Saint wrote:
plugger66 wrote:And im sure the girl didn't have any racist intentions but she used a racist remark and im also sure he didn't know she was 13.
He knew how old she was the next day at the packed press conference when he said "Racism has a face. It's a 13-year-old girl."
The worst part about that statement is that it was considered and deliberate. Very, very poor form from Goodes and the act of a total bully!
Instead of education, he chose ridicule.

Personally, I don't nor would boo him...Booing would indicate acknowledgement of a threat or some feeling toward him. I just feel nothing for the man. Nothing for his actions on and off the footy field.
I don't think its a big deal seeing Goodes being booed, Roo gets booed also.. But when we face the Swans, hopefully our supporters try not to boo him. With the 13 yr old girl, I don't get the picture, the ugly bi*ch deserved whatever she got and was obviously raised in a bad family.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
True Believer wrote:

Gee I could easily point out some white people I feel that are inferior or sub human...very easily ;)

The Disch
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
The Disch wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Well there you go.

No I don't but if I did I wouldn't say it because black people have said that it is racist and if they say it is then it is because they were previously considered sun human. If a white person lived in a country were the majority were black and the whites had been considered sub human in the long past then calling a white an Alpaca would be racist esp[ecially if the whites had made it know that they thought it was racist.
+1

saynta
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
True Believer wrote:

Gee I could easily point out some white people I feel that are inferior or sub human...very easily ;)
Filth supporters, maybe?

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:
The Fireman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
True Believer wrote:

Filth supporters, maybe?
close...maybe even closer to home ? :wink: but yeah...Joffa ?

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

The Disch wrote: Roo looks like an alpaca
Sinclair agrees...

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
Austinnn
Club Player

mullet wrote:why do you talk down to everyone?

I understand how being called an ape is upsetting to Adam. I understand how he regards it as a racist taunt.

Just because people don't agree with you does not mean that they are in denial.

You think that everyone who boos adam is racially motivated to do so. I don't believe that everyone who boos him is doing it to be racist.

I really take exception to people making out that every Australian is racist and that we are some how hiding a dirty secret.

I think its really sad that you are so ashamed of our country. Oh and I do consider our country a paradise.
FFS. I don't mean to talk down to everyone, apologies if that's how it reads.

Plenty of people disagree with me, THEY ARE NOT ALL in denial. Some are, some aren't. In this particular case, this situation calls for an honest look at the issue and that is difficult to do with this issue.

Plenty of Australians ARE NOT racist.

We deal with generalisations a lot here to save time, please don't read SO literally.

You probably wrote that post before my last one, so by now you'll realise that I don't think everyone who boos Goodes is racist. Plenty are though, and you're kidding yourself to think otherwise.

Whether or not you yourself are racist, plenty of Australian are. No, I don't have statistics. No, ok I can't even say that it's a majority. So go ahead and shoot my argument down. You can look around you and decide for yourself. But what you have written so far in these two threads suggests that you don't even recognise it when you see it, apologies if that's not the case.

I think it's sad that I'm ashamed of Australian ignorance and racism too. Australia and Australians have a hell of a lot going for them, but nothing is perfect. I'm glad you consider it a paradise. I'd agree that the country itself definitely is. Do you think that Australian society is a paradise? Without being patronising, might I suggest that's based on your experience in Australia, and your level of empathy for the put upon? Ask an Aboriginal kid who grew up in pre-gentrified Redfern or other such places if he agrees with you.

I moved to Australia as a teenager, my family still live there and I love the place and would like to live there now. I still can't deny that there are some ugly things about it, as there are everywhere.

Look Mullet, I'm only giving my opinion as my signature suggests. I'm not forcing you to agree. I'm sad that you feel so defensive about what I write, or feel that I'm talking down to you. I'm really not, just trying to relate to you person to person, as an equal.

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
Austinnn
Club Player

The Fireman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
True Believer wrote:

TB, please. If you refuse to put racism in context, you can't be taken seriously. This is the style of Andrew Bolt.

Firey, Looking or acting like an ape is one thing. Calling a black man an ape is something else. Not difficult to understand.

Just My Opinion

You'll Never Walk Alone
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

What about just taking a risk averse, pragmatic strategy into the game?

Let's just say we have no idea whether the booing is racist or not, but we wont do it in Rd 22 anyway just in case.

I mean is booing him really that important to people? Just grab a pie or a beer or something instead.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Can't remember this support and outrage all the years Milne copped it. Please Goodes get over yourself.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:Can't remember this support and outrage all the years Milne copped it. Please Goodes get over yourself.
He was also found guilty of indecent assault. But I think he copped a much greater punishment over the years than others in that situation.
But how is that relevant here? What kind of bench-mark are we setting? 'Other people are assholes so let's be assholes too?"

The issue seems to be that people think Adam is 'too big for his boots.'

People like their black man quiet, humble and submissive.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Tue 28 Jul 2015 9:07pm, edited 1 time in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:Can't remember this support and outrage all the years Milne copped it. Please Goodes get over yourself.

Just because milney didn't get support doesn't mean goodes shouldn't. 2 wrongs don't make a right.

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:What about just taking a risk averse, pragmatic strategy into the game?

Let's just say we have no idea whether the booing is racist or not, but we wont do it in Rd 22 anyway just in case.

I mean is booing him really that important to people? Just grab a pie or a beer or something instead.
I don't know what is funnier:- that people actually boo, or that people think that they can stop it.

Somehow I don't feel responsible when other Saints supporters do something stupid. I don't feel that anyone else represents me.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

satchmo wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:What about just taking a risk averse, pragmatic strategy into the game?

I don't know what is funnier:- that people actually boo, or that people think that they can stop it.

Somehow I don't feel responsible when other Saints supporters do something stupid. I don't feel that anyone else represents me.
I dont feel responsible. But being a dick takes much more energy than not being a dick. I am just naturally lazy. Who could be bothered. Id rather drink beer and eat hot dogs when i go to the footy.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Tue 28 Jul 2015 9:10pm, edited 1 time in total.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

Imagine if he was gay as well.
Fmd the threads on all footy sites would make the Internet's explode

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
He was also found guilty of indecent assault. But I think he copped a much greater punishment over the years than others in that situation.
But how is that relevant here? What kind of bench-mark are we setting? 'Other people are assholes so let's be assholes too?"
It's booing FFS he is 35 years old. They boo Stevie J Hayden B WB supporters boo Riewoldt. There grown men getting thousands to play football just get on with it.

Austinnn
Club Player

satchmo wrote:

Sorry buddy, you're part of that family. Whatever you feel, people will see you as a Saints fan and make judgements on that, rightly wrongly hypocritically whatever. Remind yourself about that when you think about Pies fans, etc.

Just My Opinion

You'll Never Walk Alone
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
It's booing FFS he is 35 years old. They boo Stevie J Hayden B WB supporters boo Riewoldt. There grown men getting thousands to play football just get on with it.

You can't seriously be calling the booing of those guys the same as goodes. I have followed footy for 45 years and there has been nothing like this on a regular basis

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Just because milney didn't get support doesn't mean goodes shouldn't. 2 wrongs don't make a right.
So it's reverse racism? Let's face it if Goodes wasn't indigenous this wouldn't be a issue. Goodes is booed because he is protected due to playing for Sydney. He has a huge wrap sheet but rarely gets suspended. He dives and acts for frees.