If you think Dermie's a flog, well you're probably right

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: If you think Dermie's a flog, well you're probably right

magnifisaint wrote:
Waltzing St Kilda wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:
Waltzing St Kilda wrote:In 2005 or thereabouts Dermie threw Chris Pelchen against the wall and hurled abuse at him for
recruiting Luke Hodge. True story.
sauce?
Can't say. Not Pelchen though.
4 years after they drafted him?

Seems plausible if it happened in 2004.

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_p ... fopt2=2004

Vazelos
Club Player

Mc Cartin has a football brain, has the ability to take one grab pack marks and is an accurate kick for goal. They are 3 things you can't teach very easily, especially the first 2 attributes. A players physical make up, especially for a big chunk of a young man, can change dramatically over time in an AFL environment. He will be moving differently in year or two . He will be stronger, faster and will be able to do it for longer. I have no doubt the boy will be a very good player.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Waltzing St Kilda wrote:In 2005 or thereabouts Dermie threw Chris Pelchen against the wall and hurled abuse at him for

Was Pelchen even there in that period and was that his job? He didn't rejoin the Hawks till late 2005 but I don't know when he was there before then.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
saynta wrote:Yes, Dermie is a flog. At the weekend the flog stated that the Hawks Mitchell wouldn't get a game at 17 other clubs because he was slow and didn't create any pressure.

If you are going to call him a flog for that then I suggest you get your facts right because you are 100% wrong. Well done.
:oops: Yeah , it was Carey, but in my defense, I would say that one flog sounds the same as the next on the radio or tellie. :D

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Vazelos wrote:Mc Cartin has a football brain, has the ability to take one grab pack marks and is an accurate kick for goal. They are 3 things you can't teach very easily, especially the first 2 attributes. A players physical make up, especially for a big chunk of a young man, can change dramatically over time in an AFL environment. He will be moving differently in year or two . He will be stronger, faster and will be able to do it for longer. I have no doubt the boy will be a very good player.
Very good post
It's the intangibles that are hard to up skill on
I too think he looks sound with big upside
The fact the Dermutt says he has issues for mine is clarification he'll be a star
Dermutt is just a classic example of just because you played the game and were a great player does not automatically translate into you being a good thinker about the game
Dermutt ain't that bright - just had on field talent

“Yeah….nah””
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Dermie's right.

Delist.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

I wonder if Brereton wrote that article about Tom Boyd and then substituted Paddy McCartins name at the last minute. I mean Boyd is the one on a million a year, already has a preseason under his belt and has done absolutely nothing except for kicking 4 in a game. The only difference between those two at the moment is that Boyd is a couple of inches taller, looks to have a developed body, is good looking but at the moment hasn't done much more. Is it all about perception rather than ability?

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:

Was Pelchen even there in that period and was that his job? He didn't rejoin the Hawks till late 2005 but I don't know when he was there before then.
You're right, P66. I had to check with my source and it was Jarryd Roughead, not Luke
Hodge, who was the subject of the attack. My mistake, though considering we're
talking about McCartin it's probably even more relevant.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Waltzing St Kilda wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

You're right, P66. I had to check with my source and it was Jarryd Roughead, not Luke
Dermie mad they didn't get Tambling ?

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Waltzing St Kilda wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Pretty sure I heard dermie on radio at the time overjoyed that they had picked roughhead.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:
sauce?
I believe it was Heinz Ketchup.

BOOM-BOOM-TISH!!

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Dr Spaceman wrote:http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/spo ... 7459679573

"HAWTHORN legend Dermott Brereton has raised searching concerns about Paddy McCartin, just four games into his AFL career.

The former Geelong Falcon produced the best performance of his emerging career against at the weekend, taking nine marks among 14 disposals in the win over Melbourne.

But Brereton fears the 19-year-old, last year’s No.1 draft pick, is lacking in a number of key areas that are essential to succeeding as a power forward.

‘He doesn’t have a great turn of speed, he doesn’t have a great sidestep, he doesn’t seem to have great endurance’

“He’s one who interests me greatly at this point in time,” Brereton said on SEN of the 194cm, 94kg big man.

“He does have a few issues with his career as he looks forward...."

Blah, blah, blah :roll:
Well Dermott (the man who considered Watters a genius),

Whether he has a great turn of speed or not, he has an acute footy brain and reads the play uncannily.

I reckon a good side step can easily be learned, its hardly athletically difficult. As a big boy he probably didn't need to side step.

F*ck Me, how many first year big log forwards have good endurance. Two or three pre seasons will rectify that.

Paddy is better than Boyd, I'll call that now - furthermore the assessment of talent by Richo, Pelchen, Baines & co over the last 2 years, has bordered on genius. I have full confidence in them over Dermie any day of the week.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

While Trout and co are watching hours and hours of u18 footy live and and even more footage on videos, Dermie is snorting coke in seedy pubs off toilet seats. The putrid picks opinion is less than worthless.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:While Trout and co are watching hours and hours of u18 footy live and and even more footage on videos, Dermie is snorting coke in seedy pubs off toilet seats. The putrid picks opinion is less than worthless.
That's a bit harsh mate. He's not that bad; he puts toilet paper down on the seat first.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
Old Mate wrote:While Trout and co are watching hours and hours of u18 footy live and and even more footage on videos, Dermie is snorting coke in seedy pubs off toilet seats. The putrid picks opinion is less than worthless.
That's a bit harsh mate. He's not that bad; he puts toilet paper down on the seat first.
+1

avid
Club Player

bigred wrote:
evertonfc wrote:Interestingly, I made some similar observations when watching him...Dermie's point isn't that far removed from mine.

His body shape is rather immature for his size; he relies on other attributes (which is fair enough for a teenager).

He needs to become an animal in the gym in the next few pre-seasons. Do that, and he'll be a heck of a player.
Exactly.

He is still at least one preseason away from having the body for a full season. His diabetes may actually come into this as well. Regardless, I betcha that he is handed a rather daunting program come seasons end.
Yep, I've got to say, almost the same thoughts as Dermie's have come to my mind too. It makes me anxious that he looks so slow and softish at the moment.
But I've got confidence in the club that they can see what will most likely emerge in the next couple of years. I just haven't seen it yet much myself.
Is Dermie saying anything different?
Well maybe that makes me a flog too.
But this one loves the club, and is currently filled with confidence and optimism about our future.

Goodard hasn't looked all that promising in his first few games either.
But I am thrilled to see Goddard and McCartin lined up at fullback and fullforward today in the paper, and thrilled that they are our future.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

avid wrote:
bigred wrote:
evertonfc wrote:Interestingly, I made some similar observations when watching him...Dermie's point isn't that far removed from mine.

His body shape is rather immature for his size; he relies on other attributes (which is fair enough for a teenager).

He needs to become an animal in the gym in the next few pre-seasons. Do that, and he'll be a heck of a player.
Exactly.

He is still at least one preseason away from having the body for a full season. His diabetes may actually come into this as well. Regardless, I betcha that he is handed a rather daunting program come seasons end.
Yep, I've got to say, almost the same thoughts as Dermie's have come to my mind too. It makes me anxious that he looks so slow and softish at the moment.
But I've got confidence in the club that they can see what will most likely emerge in the next couple of years. I just haven't seen it yet much myself.
Is Dermie saying anything different?
Well maybe that makes me a flog too.
But this one loves the club, and is currently filled with confidence and optimism about our future.

Goodard hasn't looked all that promising in his first few games either.
But I am thrilled to see Goddard and McCartin lined up at fullback and fullforward today in the paper, and thrilled that they are our future.
Both guys are tall KPP. When was the last one of those to star in their first year in the AFL system? I reckon they are tracking very well. I think you could find fault with all the talls drafted every year. The last 2 talls drafted at number one before McCartin aren't actually setting the world alight yet. It takes time. No point in finding fault at this stage of his career.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

I'm not usually a Matty Lloyd fan but loved what he said about Paddy:

"I've never seen a guy use his body and be so aggressive for such a young man".

While Dermut was dressing like he was 21 and trying to pick up drunk and leg less 18 year olds, Lloyd spent a couple of years at the AIS working with Paddy.

I'm not sure of the context of Lloyds statement (read it on Twitter) but it came pretty much after Demuts whack so I assume Lloyds comment was in support of Paddy? Well done, if so.