Our Shrinking Membership/Following

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Our Shrinking Membership/Following

citywest wrote:New Zealand can and will be successful but not if we give up.

Why will it be. What has happened so far to suggest that?

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Gee, Citywest - Seaford gets the blame so your solution is NEW ZEALAND!

Saint supporter since '62
70s sainter
Club Player

The saints have always been like the mate you love but is a bit of a f@#k up . You know the type that is great fun at parties, but has never really had a serious girlfriend or a proper job . Then when he finally gets a decent missus and a great job ('09-'10) and gives everyone hope he gets pissed and sleeps with another chick ( Stkilda schoolgirl) . He calls in sick too often in his new job (Schneider missing those early goals in the g.f) and gets the sack. His mates will always be his mate but because he's so frustrating they don't ring him as often . And his mates missus s bag him behind his back .
After that he gets stoned on the couch for a couple of years and hits an all time low (13-14)

However now he has got his life back on track . He has a new girlfriend who is funny and quite attractive. He has a new job that pays better than ever. He is investing wisely and fun to be around again. He looks more balanced in every way .It will take some time before his mates trust him 100% again but his future is looking brighter than ever !!!!

Locals322
Club Player

Melbourne who have been statistically worse than the defunct Fitzroy and been completely irrelevant for 10 years while we were playing in grands finals and Essendon who have had their entire team and all hope extinguished for 2016 drew a crowd of 50,000

The Bulldogs the sexiest team in the AFL and Riewoldts 300th one of the 3 best sainters ever drew a crowd of 37k. And thats a good crowd for us lmao,

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Although membership is currently healthy, I think we have a history of supporters not turning out when we are down the bottom of the ladder. Maybe its the lack of premiership success and an in-built pessimism. I think some Saints supporters lack the stomach to see the up and down (quite a bit of down) of another rebuild - games like last week can be pretty depressing.

Melbourne has a much bigger latent supporter base through the MCG. You could hear them unleashing all their pent up energy during our praccie game with them - you would have thought it was a grand final. It would help if we could put a younger, sexier team on the field. Geary and Dempster aren't exactly the most dynamic, attacking players. We have to hang tough until guys like Gresham, White, Rice, McKenzie, Freeman, Carlisle, Goddard come through and we get a bit slicker on the field. People don't necessarily need a lot of wins but they need to see young talent and being able to use the ball well.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Win games and they will come

Locals322
Club Player

If you're a saints fan who can't turn up for Rooeys 300th than you're not a saints fan. :x

matrix
Saintsational Legend

yeah righto :roll:

bigred
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:Win games and they will come
Historically, they don't.

What is our record from 2010? 41k or so?

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
lefty
Club Player

wasoncestkil58 wrote:Stability (why we had to go to Seaford baffles me, I know there were issues with the council and the CEO of the time.
Board shuffles and lack of a really strong Chairman. ( I like the current board and CEO)
Had a great Coach walk out on us.
The school girl fiasco certainly didn't help.
So there are four reasons why we have slipped down the membership ladder. Some people are really fickle. I think if we continue the track we are on at the moment it won't be long before we are back were we belong.
Seaford has nothing at all to do with it.
Seriously ridiculous statement.

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

2015 troll thread bumped !

relevance to 2016 ?

Would the bumper be a colonwood troll ?

In red white and black from 73
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Melbourne has won 12 premierships. 12. People forget that. They were also very successful without winning the ultimate prize from 1987-2006, playing in a lot of finals series and 2 grand finals in that time.
Essendon has won 15 premierships. 15. That gets you a lot of credit.

But I think the doping scandal will affect Essendon the way that the Norm Smith sacking affected Melbourne after 1965, the trading war with Collingwood affected Richmond after 1982 and the Salary Cap rorting devastated Carlton from 2002 onwards. They may never return to their previous power of winning grand finals and performing regularly in finals for the foreseeable future.

We have plenty of supporters around the place - and they will come again. It is as much about the players and game style which brings in the fans when you are down the bottom. We will start to show improvement after round 8 and going to games will become a lot more enjoyable again.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:
The Fireman wrote:Win games and they will come
Historically, they don't.

What is our record from 2010? 41k or so?
Lose games and they will ?

Win games and they will come.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

PS I'm part of the shrinkage.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:PS I'm part of the shrinkage.
That's surprising.

Thought you'd moved to where the water is warmer Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
The Fireman wrote:PS I'm part of the shrinkage.
That's surprising.

Thought you'd moved to where the water is warmer Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shrinkage can occur for more reasons than just weather and sports ;)

Locals322
Club Player

samuraisaint wrote:
But I think the doping scandal will affect Essendon the way that the Norm Smith sacking affected Melbourne after 1965, the trading war with Collingwood affected Richmond after 1982 and the Salary Cap rorting devastated Carlton from 2002 onwards. They may never return to their previous power of winning grand finals and performing regularly in finals for the foreseeable future.

We have plenty of supporters around the place - and they will come again. It is as much about the players and game style which brings in the fans when you are down the bottom. We will start to show improvement after round 8 and going to games will become a lot more enjoyable again.
Plenty of supporters that just never show up or become members for 30 years now. Melbourne have won 12 grans finals most from before 1966 so that is hardly relevant. If winning a premiership 50 years ago got you credits we'd have some fans.

The bombers will play infront of 80-90k on Anzac Day. The saints will play infront of 10 people and a stray cat in New Zealand struggle to find relevance despite the legions of fans that await in the rafters waiting for a sign.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

The Bombers will play in front of 80-90k mainly theatregoers on Anzac Day. AFL and MCC members and a packed house full of Collingwood barrackers come to watch their side hand the Bombers their biggest loss in their history. Their game against Adelaide last year at Etihad was practically empty.
Let's see how many Bombers supporters turn up when we play them round 9 and the novelty of watching their side get flogged by 10 goals wears off - and then see how many of their barrackers turn up when we play them round 16 and the 20 goal hidings have started in earnest.
And next year for them may be far worse as a lot of their experienced players won't return and they won't be able to rely on the 10 players they were gifted by the AFL to make them competitive. They will simply have their kids and the suspended players who decide to stay (the ones nobody else wants so they won't walk).

We won't be playing in New Zealand.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
sainter104
Club Player

SainterSan wrote:
wasoncestkil58 wrote:Stability (why we had to go to Seaford baffles me, I know there were issues with the council and the CEO of the time.
I'd like to see us eventually return to the Junction Oval. I know that's unlikely but we need a strong base and the best foundation for that is the inner city. It's a pity someone like Lindsay Fox couldn't shift a few more of his millions our way for a refurbishment of the Junction Oval, or perhaps the AFL.
This would be the best thing the club could possibly do.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

sainter104 wrote:
SainterSan wrote:
I'd like to see us eventually return to the Junction Oval. I know that's unlikely but we need a strong base and the best foundation for that is the inner city. It's a pity someone like Lindsay Fox couldn't shift a few more of his millions our way for a refurbishment of the Junction Oval, or perhaps the AFL.
This would be the best thing the club could possibly do.
The Junction Oval is now the home of Cricket Victoria, The Saints are not welcome there, by Cricket or the Government.

Interesting that only after the Saints sprinted away from the Junction Oval did they win their first flag.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?