Postitives and Negatives v Cats

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Postitives and Negatives v Cats

Lots of positives:

- Hickey is looking really good, hard to see how he can be displaced from the side.
- Holmes has something, still a lot of work for him to be a net positive around the ground but he's worth another couple of years.
- Minch made the most of his opportunities, definitely worth giving him another year.
- Ross did a good job on Selwood and was pretty good himself, maybe he's going to make it after all.
- Membrey definitely has something, if he can double his number of involvements in the game he'll be a great asset.
- Goddard is going to be very good.
- Murdoch barely got near it in his limited time but I actually thought he looked reasonable. Maybe something there?
- Gilbo doing a great job of pumping up his trade value!

Negatives:

- Saunders up against it, given his very quiet quarter last week and half this week.
- Shenton seems pretty useless at AFL level to me. Tries hard but what's his position?
- Not sure that Ray is giving us enough any more. He could obviously play another year but he shouldn't play too many games if he does.
- I hope Dunstan is injured or something because his year has been really disappointing.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Re: Postitives and Negatives v Cats

Agree with just about everything (and I'm a billy fan!)

But dunstan i dunno what it is I'm missing but to me this kid is absolute class..seems highly underrated on this site for mine

#1 Ryder fan
mambo2706
Club Player

I agree with everything as well but Gilbo won't be traded.

Saint_J
Club Player

shenton lost some charm post haircut... looked abit out of depth tonight..

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Ross was superb - to slaughter Sellwood and still get the ball and most importantly he looks really good under pressure with decision making/disposal
Webster continues to impress me
Goddard we got a steal
Savage was really impressive - been a while since we had that dash and a goal kicker from outside 50

Agree on Ray - I don't see the point and would like to see Acres somewhere
We need someone to play on the monsters down back
Get pick 5 somehow get a polished ball using mid and I'd be happy

“Yeah….nah””
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Thought Goddard really grew into the game - his last half especially his last quarter was very very good

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Holmes very promising. very. and Goddard just looks every bit like being a 200+ class defender.
Dunstan's development has slowed, but i'm pretty confident he'll be a lenny hayes style top inside midfielder in a couple of years.
The forward line functions better with Membrey in it - and it looks like he's cured his kicking yips.
Webster is a player. Like him more every game.
Ross quelled Selwood tonight. great game from him.
and no way should we be trading Gilbert!

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Dunstan named in the best by theage

#1 Ryder fan
FQF
SS Life Member

Positives:

Played bloody well with a very young team and were missing heaps of quality (present and future) - Armitage, Billings, Dempster, Roberton, Mckenzie, Lonie, Sinclair, Paddy, Acres, Wright, pick 5.

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

I thought Dunstan was very good tonight.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
wasoncestkil58
Club Player

I loved Seb Ross's game. Thought Holmes effort was a real positive. Hugh Goddard will be a star defender for us.

Griggsy
SS Life Member

BackFromUSA wrote:I thought Dunstan was very good tonight.
+1

Bruce G McAbee
Club Player

Positives, Gilbert, best game since the school girl debacle, which I think affected him a lot.
Ross, best game yet and growing.
Goddard, twice we beat Carlton to a Goddard, you have just got to love that
Bruce, best game for the a number of weeks.
Membrey, this guy reminds me of Hammill, will be a player.
Hickey, just keeps getting better, reminds me of a young Spida Everett.
Holmes, fantastic debut, our mids learn to read his hands, we dominate clearances.
The fact we fought the game out and didn't fall away, plus probably put Geelong out of the finals, really like that.

Think of me long enough to make a memory.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Positives
Midfield clearances without Armitage, thought we'd struggle
Seb Ross on Selwood
The shock on mids faces when the ball was neatly palmed into their hands, classic
Roo and Joey reading the state of play and lifting for the youngins
Gilbo the midfielder
Hickey/Holmes ruck combo
Goddards last quarter

Negatives
Saunders, thought he'd make more of opportunity
Chips on Hawkins
Those deliberates from the umps, come on now
Hickey languishing at Sandy, dare I say coach played favourites and got it wrong?
Savage dribble kick

That Guthrie is a star...

stkfc1
Club Player

Postives.Webster was awesome. Best game I've seen from him. Goddard was solid. Gilbert kept us in the game. Bruce and Membrey are going to be lethal for us going forward. Minch has got it. Will only got better. Leap on Holmes. Good Lord! Loved how the crowd got behind him. (But apparently,we're all racist). Hickey will be a weapon for us.Geelong finals hopes are good as gone.

Negatives are our disposal skills. We are our own worst enemy.We do everything right and then silly turnover. Preseason of kicking skills and trying to handball at hands, not feet.

Great game to be at. Go Saints!

stkfc1
Club Player

Postives.Webster was awesome. Best game I've seen from him. Goddard was solid. Gilbert kept us in the game. Bruce and Membrey are going to be lethal for us going forward. Minch has got it. Will only got better. Leap on Holmes. Good Lord! Loved how the crowd got behind him. (But apparently,we're all racist). Hickey will be a weapon for us.Geelong finals hopes are good as gone.

Negatives are our disposal skills. We are our own worst enemy.We do everything right and then silly turnover. Preseason of kicking skills and trying to handball at hands, not feet.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Good OP. Agree with each dot point.
Dunstan starting to worry me. Reminds me of Mark McGough. May have peaked at 19.
Thankfully I think Acres is the opposite and reminds me of David Mundy who peaked at 29.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Positives:
- Hickey is really starting to show his ability to play that forward / second ruck role.
- Ross played a great role tonight. Seems to do well against other slower mids in Watson and Selwood, says he must have something worth working with. Hope to see him get the match up against JPK.
- Dunstan is class, if he didn't play a game last year I think we would be talking about his current form with far more enthusiasm.
- Riewoldt plays for us.
- Our next crop of defenders look better than the crop from the precious era... Webster, Newnes, Savage and Goddard can all play and Roberton adds even more class.
- Gilbert played his best game since 2009, if his goalkicking was consistent he would be so much better.
- We won without Armitage and Steven carrying us.
- Bruce and Membrey are very good players who will compliment McCartin perfectly.
- Holmes very good in the ruck.

Negatives:
- We didn't bury them early when we had the momentum.
- Our conversion rate compared to the opposition was terrible for the third week running.
- Ray, Saunders, Shenton, Murdoch et al. will not be able to take this team forward.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
seano1
Club Player

stkfc1 wrote:Postives.Webster was awesome. Best game I've seen from him. Goddard was solid. Gilbert kept us in the game. Bruce and Membrey are going to be lethal for us going forward. Minch has got it. Will only got better. Leap on Holmes. Good Lord! Loved how the crowd got behind him. (But apparently,we're all racist). Hickey will be a weapon for us.Geelong finals hopes are good as gone.

Well said Holmes looks the goods in the ruck but also like Longer still needs to learn the around the ground plays , Gilbert is like they have re-invented him....playing as a ruck rover doing some real tough things and his rugby style tackles were great ......Webster , what a shining light along with Savage they can kick and give drive from the backline...Dunstan will never be a racehorse as some want he is a tough in and under type getting it out to the outside runners and does it well, big Hugh you can see him learning each game and improving as im not sure Fisher may be done but Hawkins is a huge guy and just pushes all around..Stevens gets the pill but kicking lets him down and like the rest of the team. old and new decision making needs to be worked on..they handball when they should kick they kick floaters that give opp time to make a contest or kicks over heads instead of hard fast kicks to a chest...but it was a great game to watch. To be honest i went thinking we will get done and i bet so did a lot of others so the draw was a great result.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

MC Gusto wrote:Dunstan named in the best by theage

Couldn't make the game, but Dunstan seemed very good without being dominant. really stood up in Armo's absence.

You are garbage - Enough said
bigred
Saintsational Legend

+10 clearances. (-3 in the middle, but +13 around the ground)

54 hitouts to 32. Holmes had more hit outs than Geelong's total and Hickey wasn't shabby either.

That's dominant. If Armo had of played he would have gobbled that up.

Holmes is worth another two years at least.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
matrix
Saintsational Legend

gilbo in the guts
what a fantastic move this has been by the coaches, have they been reading ss?!
holmes in the ruck
this bloke can already get his hand on it first time, now he just has to train the house down for the next couple of years (Bigred is right he easily deserves another 2 years), if he can start tapping it like Sandilands to advantage look the hell out if we get a couple more quality mids
goddard down back
wont be long and this bloke will be all australian

im not going to focus on the negs too much
dont think murdoch and josh will make it, still not sold on ray, think he might be the back up next year like schneider this year, if schneider goes
really dont know if chips will keep going once more, reckon he just might make next year his last one, wouldnt be any FB that can stop hawkins easily, he is a monster of a bloke
dunstan needs to drop a couple kilos and get some run into those legs, if you have no pace you need to get endurance (harvey like)
steven needs to work on his disposal by foot, getting plenty of it is all well and good...running at 58% disp eff is not

saynta
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:Lots of positives:

- Hickey is looking really good, hard to see how he can be displaced from the side.
- Holmes has something, still a lot of work for him to be a net positive around the ground but he's worth another couple of years.
- Minch made the most of his opportunities, definitely worth giving him another year.
- Ross did a good job on Selwood and was pretty good himself, maybe he's going to make it after all.
- Membrey definitely has something, if he can double his number of involvements in the game he'll be a great asset.
- Goddard is going to be very good.
- Murdoch barely got near it in his limited time but I actually thought he looked reasonable. Maybe something there?
- Gilbo doing a great job of pumping up his trade value!

Negatives:

- Saunders up against it, given his very quiet quarter last week and half this week.
- Shenton seems pretty useless at AFL level to me. Tries hard but what's his position?
- Not sure that Ray is giving us enough any more. He could obviously play another year but he shouldn't play too many games if he does.
- I hope Dunstan is injured or something because his year has been really disappointing.
I agree with almost all the comments you posted except for murdock. He did sfa. Subbie not a good position for someone who gets little of the ball in a full match.

Don't agree with your Gilbo comment though.

S.A Saint
Club Player

Armoooo wrote:Positives:
- Hickey is really starting to show his ability to play that forward / second ruck role.
- Ross played a great role tonight. Seems to do well against other slower mids in Watson and Selwood, says he must have something worth working with. Hope to see him get the match up against JPK.
- Dunstan is class, if he didn't play a game last year I think we would be talking about his current form with far more enthusiasm.
- Riewoldt plays for us.
- Our next crop of defenders look better than the crop from the precious era... Webster, Newnes, Savage and Goddard can all play and Roberton adds even more class.
- Gilbert played his best game since 2009, if his goalkicking was consistent he would be so much better.
- We won without Armitage and Steven carrying us.
- Bruce and Membrey are very good players who will compliment McCartin perfectly.
- Holmes very good in the ruck.

Negatives:
- We didn't bury them early when we had the momentum.
- Our conversion rate compared to the opposition was terrible for the third week running.
- Ray, Saunders, Shenton, Murdoch et al. will not be able to take this team forward.
Must say i agree with all of this and just to add a few things as well

Positives
- it was an even spread without anyone really starring for us
- good attack on the ball and a 4 quarter effort

Negatives
- need to learn how to stop the team when they get on a roll
- structures from opposition kick ins seem to always be able to waltz out
- our scoring accuracy
- teams able to get over the top goals very easily
- need to defend better when teams slingshot against us

"Heroes are never forgotten, but legends never die"
spert