Josh Saunders

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

#gosaintas
Club Player

Re: Josh Saunders

It's certainly surprising they have dropped Schneider...

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

#gosaintas wrote:It's certainly surprising they have dropped Schneider...

Not really. He should never have been given a rookie spot IMO. Am allowed to say that or should we do a poll to see if I can say it?

Freebird
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:Thread started well and then went downhill. Might not be good enough but whats the point of knocking the guy. Knock the selectors or the recruiters. Anyway people want the young kids to get a chance and he did.
+1

S.A Saint
Club Player

WinnersOnly wrote:It would be a bad decision to delist Saunders when he is just starting to learn his midfield craft. He was recruited as a mid and has started to show form at VFL level as a mid, he just needs midfield time in the AFL to show his wares. People are screaming for midfield speed and break away run yet happy to delist Saunders. He is no better or worse a kick than Steven & Armitage. He is the perfect depth player who in time could become a valuable player just like Steven. Hawthorn have a number of his type of player that are developing in the two's and when they play them they perform. There is a number of other players that should be delisted before Saunders IMO!
I understand what you are saying, but if we need to open up 6 spots on our main list to accomodate rookie upgrades such as sinclair and even holmes who would the 6 or so players be?

"Heroes are never forgotten, but legends never die"
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

S.A Saint wrote:
WinnersOnly wrote:It would be a bad decision to delist Saunders when he is just starting to learn his midfield craft. He was recruited as a mid and has started to show form at VFL level as a mid, he just needs midfield time in the AFL to show his wares. People are screaming for midfield speed and break away run yet happy to delist Saunders. He is no better or worse a kick than Steven & Armitage. He is the perfect depth player who in time could become a valuable player just like Steven. Hawthorn have a number of his type of player that are developing in the two's and when they play them they perform. There is a number of other players that should be delisted before Saunders IMO!
I understand what you are saying, but if we need to open up 6 spots on our main list to accomodate rookie upgrades such as sinclair and even holmes who would the 6 or so players be?
Right, exactly. It might even be 7, four draft picks, two promotions, one trade. Pretty hard to come up with a list of 7 without cutting someone who could get more of a chance.

S.A Saint
Club Player

bergholt wrote:
S.A Saint wrote:
Right, exactly. It might even be 7, four draft picks, two promotions, one trade. Pretty hard to come up with a list of 7 without cutting someone who could get more of a chance.
Yea there will be some hard decisions come end of season. The players who are likely to come under consideration are:

Markworth: always injured
Sippos: Injuries and form
Simpkin: papers are all but stamped
White: injuries and form
Fisher: maybe retirement
Ray: 5 or so players that could easily play his role but younger
Saunders: hasnt played much and when selected has been average
Lee: has a contract but could be used as traid bait
Wright: injuries and form (but i would keep him above all)

You would say then saad and schneider will be delisted from the rookie spots with sinclair and holmes upgraded taking up 2 main spots on the senior list.

Some tough calls to be made at the end of the season. I could maybe see one or 2 players getting a rookie spot ala markworth or even saunders if delisted

maverick
Saintsational Legend

S.A Saint wrote:
bergholt wrote:
S.A Saint wrote:
Yea there will be some hard decisions come end of season. The players who are likely to come under consideration are:

Markworth: always injured
Sippos: Injuries and form
Simpkin: papers are all but stamped
White: injuries and form
Fisher: maybe retirement
Ray: 5 or so players that could easily play his role but younger
Saunders: hasnt played much and when selected has been average
Lee: has a contract but could be used as traid bait
Wright: injuries and form (but i would keep him above all)

You would say then saad and schneider will be delisted from the rookie spots with sinclair and holmes upgraded taking up 2 main spots on the senior list.

Some tough calls to be made at the end of the season. I could maybe see one or 2 players getting a rookie spot ala markworth or even saunders if delisted
Murdoch?
Curren?
Pierce?

S.A Saint
Club Player

Forgot about those e.

Pierce i am pretty confident they will keep as rucks take longer to develop and if he does come good then we will have same trade currency in the future with all of hickey, longer, holmes and him.

Curren and murdoch i think are contracted till next year and i would keep murdoch as he has a lethal left footy and also is a very good size.

You can add curren onto that list as well but has actually shown more than most.

Hemi Baxter
Club Player

Keeping Pierce? Why? Aside from the weekend where he showed a glimmer around the ground but was thrashed in the ruck by the woeful Dawson Simpson he has shown nothing in three years of footy. He has three guys in front of him and having four ruckmen on the main list, after the upgrade for Holmes, isn't a good strategy.
Can't se us taking more than three selections in the draft and promoting Sinclair and Holmes. That's five to go off the main list.
After you subtract Pierce and Simpkin the next three may depend on whether we trade for anyone. eg In the unlikely event that we were able to grab Carlisle then Sam Fisher would retire.

S.A Saint
Club Player

Dawson simpson is a monster comapred to lewis who is 20 and giving away about 30 kilos. Rucks take time which he has on his side because he has shown bits of pieces throughout games. You can never have enough ruckman in your side as there are clubs always looking to trade one in. Let him develop for another year or 2 and re asses. Plenty of players to clean out before him

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

#gosaintas wrote:Must be delisted. We have enough players that can't kick and he, Geary, Stevens, Shenton and Gilbert are 3 too many. Good to see they are playing Gilbert away from the backline finally...he should never play behind wing/centre where his kicking is too big a liability.
Another one of your positive posts. Who else don't you like that could be tipped out.

Did you ever think they moved Gilbert into the midfield (at least v Geelong) because he was playing well? It happens in footy you know - not because he would be a 'liability' in defence. So by your theory, disposal efficiency doesn't matter as much for mids? Shivers it's not that hard.....
Last edited by MCG-Unit on Tue 25 Aug 2015 5:18pm, edited 1 time in total.

Your servants shall hold her stones dear, and have pity on her dust :shock:
Hemi Baxter
Club Player

S.A Saint wrote:Dawson simpson is a monster comapred to lewis who is 20 and giving away about 30 kilos. Rucks take time which he has on his side because he has shown bits of pieces throughout games. You can never have enough ruckman in your side as there are clubs always looking to trade one in. Let him develop for another year or 2 and re asses. Plenty of players to clean out before him
Dawson Simpson will be delisted at the end of this season. He is far and away the worst of Geelong's 4 ruckmen. My point about Pierce however is that you have to show something to be perservered with as a project player particularly when the changing nature of the game will see many ruckmen delisted at the end of this year. Essendon and the Dogs for example could each delist all of their ruckmen and their clubs would, respectively, be only stronger. Lewis Pierce hasn't shown nearly enough to warrant keeping him on the list. Even with your scenario of a fourth 'developing trade commodity ruck' I'd rather we delisted him and tried to develop another draftee who might have more ability.

#gosaintas
Club Player

MCG-Unit wrote:
#gosaintas wrote:Must be delisted. We have enough players that can't kick and he, Geary, Stevens, Shenton and Gilbert are 3 too many. Good to see they are playing Gilbert away from the backline finally...he should never play behind wing/centre where his kicking is too big a liability.
Another one of your positive posts. Who else don't you like that could be tipped out.

Did you ever think they moved Gilbert into the midfield (at least v Geelong) because he was playing well? It happens in footy you know - not because he would be a 'liability' in defence. So by your theory, disposal efficiency doesn't matter as much for mids? Shivers it's not that hard.....

Disposal efficiency isn't so important in the midfield. Look at Judd, Fyfe, Swan, our own Stevens...pretty average kicks all of them. Crap kicks are a disaster in the backline as Geary constantly shows us and it will be a good day when they drop him due to his disgraceful disposal. Gilbert should play up the field or for Sandy.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

#gosaintas wrote:
MCG-Unit wrote:

Disposal efficiency isn't so important in the midfield. Look at Judd, Fyfe, Swan, our own Stevens...pretty average kicks all of them. Crap kicks are a disaster in the backline as Geary constantly shows us and it will be a good day when they drop him due to his disgraceful disposal. Gilbert should play up the field or for Sandy.

Its a pity you don't even know our best players name.

#gosaintas
Club Player

Its a pity you don't even know our best players name.[/quote]

Armitage

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

#gosaintas wrote:Its a pity you don't even know our best players name.

Armitage[/quote]

Ok. Our second or third best player. Stevens. Try Steven. It will make it sound like you actually follow our club. Still think he is our best anyway but its close. Steven. Steven.

S.A Saint
Club Player

Hemi Baxter wrote:
S.A Saint wrote:Dawson simpson is a monster comapred to lewis who is 20 and giving away about 30 kilos. Rucks take time which he has on his side because he has shown bits of pieces throughout games. You can never have enough ruckman in your side as there are clubs always looking to trade one in. Let him develop for another year or 2 and re asses. Plenty of players to clean out before him
Dawson Simpson will be delisted at the end of this season. He is far and away the worst of Geelong's 4 ruckmen. My point about Pierce however is that you have to show something to be perservered with as a project player particularly when the changing nature of the game will see many ruckmen delisted at the end of this year. Essendon and the Dogs for example could each delist all of their ruckmen and their clubs would, respectively, be only stronger. Lewis Pierce hasn't shown nearly enough to warrant keeping him on the list. Even with your scenario of a fourth 'developing trade commodity ruck' I'd rather we delisted him and tried to develop another draftee who might have more ability.
Pierce has shown in glimpses this season that he can actually take a mark when forward and kick a goal or two. I wouldn't be writing him off just yet. Look at the best ruckman in Goldy and Sandi who before the age of 25 showed hardly anything to make you believe that they would turn out this good. Big men esp rucks need to be persisted with.

Plenty of players before him to delist this year.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Not really. He should never have been given a rookie spot IMO. Am allowed to say that or should we do a poll to see if I can say it?
I don't believe the club expected Sinclair and Lonie to be as advanced.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I don't believe the club expected Sinclair and Lonie to be as advanced.

No doubt at all but I still don't think we needed to rookie him but its done and he played well this season so it justifies it. With more players getting to 50 games I hope we don't rookie an older player this season.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

I have been slow to respond to this thread, nevertheless I went back to my post match review of the Saints v Pretend Bummers NAB Cup game at Morwell on March 7. I'm pretty happy overall with my observations of individual players from that game as the season has turned out. Here is my comment about Josh Saunders from that night:

" - Josh Saunders is no star. Gets the ball but is scrappy and needs to improve to stay on our list."

I didn't see much on Saturday night to change my opinion - except he couldn't get the ball.

Saint supporter since '62
matrix
Saintsational Legend

will be trade bait

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:will be trade bait

He maybe put out for trade but I would very much doubt there is any hope he will be picked up.