Franklin and Tippett

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

FQF
SS Life Member

Franklin and Tippett

It looks like Franklin will be back and Tippett is in rare form. Do we have the match ups? Fisher would get toweled up by both of them I reckon. Goddard deserves first crack on Tippett but Franklin will prove a real challenge. Do we need to bring Delaney in?

Thoughts.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Re: Franklin and Tippett

Quite simply ~ no we dont
And we have needed a monster fullback for about four years now

And unless richo instructs Longer to go out a rough tippet up a bit then he is the toughest matchup ~ and yes i know we dont have him
I dont want to destroy him at this stage of career, but Goddard might match Fanklins mobility a lot better than fisher
Im not convinced delaney is afl material (i would prefer mitch brown)
What is Lee up to these days?

Seeya
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote:Quite simply ~ no we dont
And we have needed a monster fullback for about four years now

And unless richo instructs Longer to go out a rough tippet up a bit then he is the toughest matchup ~ and yes i know we dont have him
I dont want to destroy him at this stage of career, but Goddard might match Fanklins mobility a lot better than fisher
Im not convinced delaney is afl material (i would prefer mitch brown)
What is Lee up to these days?
Lee's gone for surgery, he won't be back this year.

Goddard has to get Tippett. Fisher or Dempster on Franklin. If Dempster comes in then we don't need Delaney this week. If not then I'd bring him in so you can rotate them around.

SinCitySainter
Club Player

It has to be Dempster on Franklin as he is the only player that can run with him.
I personally would bring in Delaney for Tippett as he is exactly the sort of player that you have a Delaney for.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

yeah goddard on tippett

demps on franklin, if he plays..any word on this as last i looked he was a wait and see basis and to be given plenty of time to be ready for finals??

mambo2706
Club Player

Delaney is too slow for Franklin but could be a good match up on Tippett although I would rather see Fisher on him. Goddard would suit Franklin's mobility but maybe not his strength. Would be a great learning curve for him though and we have nothing to lose (apart from his confidence maybe). Hopefully Dempster comes back into the side and acts as the floating defender. If we can keep the pair to seven goals or less between them I would be happy.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

The cheating mongrels should have never had the cap space to get those two.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Goddard for Tippett. Will it wreck his confidence if Tippett gets on the end of a few? I doubt it. Goddard will be a better player for it and ultimately a better player than Tippett

stevie
Saintsational Legend

Nope

rather have Bennell and Prestia

Rosco
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:The cheating mongrels should have never had the cap space to get those two.
it did push out mummy so wasn't without risk.

loris
Saintsational Legend

Thinking out of the square kiddos ...... I would have Sam Gilbert on Buddy. Has the speed to run off Buddy & frustrate him. Just as long as Dempster & Fisher can fill in the hole in front of Buddy if the ball comes down quickly. As long as Gilbo doesn't get into man on man struggles with Buddy ( which he will only lose & be tossed aside like a rag doll).

As I say ............... Just thinkin'........ Awaiting for you all to shoot me down :)

karnak
Club Player

I think Gilbo could do it and your idea isn't without merit. I disagree though, our structures and particularly our forward structure worked really well last week. For the first time in 5 or 6 weeks we were able to kick a score. Partly due to moving of Roo and Gilbo. I think Gilbos run and carry through the middle and the unpredictability the rapid ball movement creates in our front half is worth more than what we'd benefit defensively.

Sam Gilbert you are an EXCITEMENT MACHINE!
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Play a zone defense. And hope like hell that we win the ball out of the middle.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:Goddard for Tippett. Will it wreck his confidence if Tippett gets on the end of a few? I doubt it. Goddard will be a better player for it and ultimately a better player than Tippett
Nup. Continually drop Fisher into space that Franklin or Tippett lead into. Force them to lead wide into the pockets. If Franklin gets going we won't be able to stop him anyway. Tippett's best games are always against us, so they will try to blow us out of the water early, like last time. Play a zone defense, whoch means that we will probably run out of petrol tickets in the last quarter.
And win the ball out of the centre.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Pretty sure Tippett was required for a significant portion of the ruck duties last week. If that happens again, he may not spend a lot of time up forward.

Agree, this is a fantastic opportunity for Hugh to line up on Buddy, although I reckon Gilbert would also be good.

If Tippett is forward, perhaps Fisher can have a crack. If all else fails, we could move Josh Bruce back. Obviously this will change the structure of our forward line, however we would still have Roo & Hickey as tall forwards, and a couple of young 'bulls' in Weller & Murdoch (unless he's the sub) to provide smaller but still strong options.

The Geelong match was entertaining and enjoyable, lets hope this is similar. Holmes was good last week, if he can give us 1st use, the ball may spend more time in our forward line and the Sydney forward structure may wander too far upfield and become less effective.

FQF
SS Life Member

Gilbert played one of his best games in recent memory in the midfield, moving him would be reactionary and stupid.