HARLEY BENNELL

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Re: HARLEY BENNELL

I just hope that Damien Barrett is on the button for a change.

saintbob
SS Life Member

After watching Motlop destroy us on the outside with his run and carry on Saturday night, I really think we should have a real crack at Bennell.

As Borderbarry said, hopefully Purple is onto something!!!

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Armoooo wrote:
whiskers3614 wrote:
Armoooo wrote:Wasn't Mav also supposedly a massive flog when GC got rid of him.

They're just kids, they're going to play up from time to time
If they're still doing stupid s*** in their mid to late 20s they don't have that excuse.
Yes but Mav cost very little, whereas this bloke won't come cheap.
No he won't but I think questioning his character and attitude just because he did a couple of lines is silly. If we knew the worst thing every player had done in their life there wouldn't be anyone we want.

Guys like Fev, Cousins and Lovely were different because they never seemed to outgrow their issues, if you're 27 and still getting kicked out of nightclubs and starting fights you got some serious issues... A teenager testing the boundaries is par for the course.

Bennells issues won't make him any cheaper and nor should they. If we can get him for a price that makes our team better however it could be worth a play.

I am still torn because I don't know the asking price or much about the draft this year but if we were scared off him because of one photo I'd be disappointed.
The problem is, teams aren't scared off by one photo, they're scared off by repeated behavioural issues. He was dropped for disciplinary reasons 3 times in his first AFL season, and twice this year. I hope ffor his sake, the photo has been the straw to break the camel's back, and he will sort himself out.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

St Chris wrote:
Armoooo wrote:
whiskers3614 wrote:
Armoooo wrote:Wasn't Mav also supposedly a massive flog when GC got rid of him.

They're just kids, they're going to play up from time to time
If they're still doing stupid s*** in their mid to late 20s they don't have that excuse.
Yes but Mav cost very little, whereas this bloke won't come cheap.
No he won't but I think questioning his character and attitude just because he did a couple of lines is silly. If we knew the worst thing every player had done in their life there wouldn't be anyone we want.

Guys like Fev, Cousins and Lovely were different because they never seemed to outgrow their issues, if you're 27 and still getting kicked out of nightclubs and starting fights you got some serious issues... A teenager testing the boundaries is par for the course.

Bennells issues won't make him any cheaper and nor should they. If we can get him for a price that makes our team better however it could be worth a play.

I am still torn because I don't know the asking price or much about the draft this year but if we were scared off him because of one photo I'd be disappointed.
The problem is, teams aren't scared off by one photo, they're scared off by repeated behavioural issues. He was dropped for disciplinary reasons 3 times in his first AFL season, and twice this year. I hope ffor his sake, the photo has been the straw to break the camel's back, and he will sort himself out.
I think someone has already mentioned Jack Steven...He's been twice suspended by the club...Once for the NZ incident and once for being caught over .05
People sometimes make poor choices...sometimes twice.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Not to mention Mav Weller. Was delisted by the Suns. Look at him now.

loris
Saintsational Legend

Think you will find Harley Bennell has been disciplined 3 times by his club (dropped each time) and those times had nothing to do with 'that photo'. And remember he did live with Karmichael Hunt. So I can understand why clubs would do due diligence on the lad.......... talent can only get you so far, character & attitude needs to be spot on with all the pressures young athletes are put under these days, IMHO

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:Think you will find Harley Bennell has been disciplined 3 times by his club (dropped each time) and those times had nothing to do with 'that photo'. And remember he did live with Karmichael Hunt. So I can understand why clubs would do due diligence on the lad.......... talent can only get you so far, character & attitude needs to be spot on with all the pressures young athletes are put under these days, IMHO
Yes but he has 80 AFL games to his name at 22yo. About 30 of those games were blinders.
So the evidence suggests he is going on more than just raw talent.
The only blokes at the Saints with the same games:age ratio in the last decade are Newnes and B Goddard. Hardly slackers.

So I just cannot believe Bennell is not a fairly disciplined person. He couldnt have got to where he is if he wasn't.
If he was undisciplined he would not be that resilient surely? He'd be unfit and injured. No-one is that talented.

Anyway I cant see it happening . But if it did I think he must go ok if Mav gives him the thumbs up.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Sat 29 Aug 2015 1:09am, edited 3 times in total.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Don't want him. Sorry.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:Don't want him. Sorry.
thats cleared up then. shut the thread.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Sat 29 Aug 2015 12:09am, edited 1 time in total.

Rosco
Club Player

If he costs pick 5/6 then get it done. If it takes more then it depends.

loris
Saintsational Legend

Actually I met Harley when he was a little tacker. Little did I know he would become a champion footballer. Iwas interviewing his grandmother Shirley Bennell at the time for an article I was writing for the Sate Govt. Shirley was the recipient of the Edith Cowan Fellowship that year. Shirley at the interview had about 5 of her grandchildren/great grandies with her. There were 2 little boys that just ran amok in my office. The little girls were just as energetic(!!!!!).

So as I could connect well with Shirley for the interview I feigned interest in all the tribe she had with her. I wrote all their names down to enable me to correctly refer to them. The lot of them we're so delightful but very distracting as they played in my office....... actually not so much played, but nearly dismantled it!!!
When Harley was recruited by GCS, the name Bennell struck a cord for me, so I looked up my notes for the Shirley Bennell and her interview and sure enough Harley was one of the kids name. Don't know which boy he was, but both of them were little bundles of mischief!!
Shirley Bennell was a wonderful role model for Aboriginal women and the general community. She did so much work in the mental health and substance abuse area in Aboriginal health. I Think years later she was also a recipient of a Churchill Fellowship.

So Harley had the influence of an esteemed grandma and respected elder. So hopefully for Harley it's a case of:-

'Give me the child until it is 7 and I will give you the man'.

And his issues are only blips on his pathway to maturity eh?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:Actually I met Harley when he was a little tacker. Little did I know he would become a champion footballer. Iwas interviewing his grandmother Shirley Bennell at the time for an article I was writing for the Sate Govt. Shirley was the recipient of the Edith Cowan Fellowship that year. Shirley at the interview had about 5 of her grandchildren/great grandies with her. There were 2 little boys that just ran amok in my office. The little girls were just as energetic(!!!!!).

So as I could connect well with Shirley for the interview I feigned interest in all the tribe she had with her. I wrote all their names down to enable me to correctly refer to them. The lot of them we're so delightful but very distracting as they played in my office....... actually not so much played, but nearly dismantled it!!!
When Harley was recruited by GCS, the name Bennell struck a cord for me, so I looked up my notes for the Shirley Bennell and her interview and sure enough Harley was one of the kids name. Don't know which boy he was, but both of them were little bundles of mischief!!
Shirley Bennell was a wonderful role model for Aboriginal women and the general community. She did so much work in the mental health and substance abuse area in Aboriginal health. I Think years later she was also a recipient of a Churchill Fellowship.

So Harley had the influence of an esteemed grandma and respected elder. So hopefully for Harley it's a case of:-

Great story. Thanks for sharing.

lewdogs
Club Player

Personally I'd give up pick 6 for him in a heartbeat.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Damian Barrett still believes Bennell wont be at GCS next year - still a chance Saints!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
matrix
Saintsational Legend

will go to hawthorn
with dangerfield

somehow

bigred
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:will go to hawthorn
with dangerfield

somehow
And Kreuzer also.

And will have a pick in the top 5 too.

Somehow.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
loris wrote:Actually I met Harley when he was a little tacker. Little did I know he would become a champion footballer. Iwas interviewing his grandmother Shirley Bennell at the time for an article I was writing for the Sate Govt. Shirley was the recipient of the Edith Cowan Fellowship that year. Shirley at the interview had about 5 of her grandchildren/great grandies with her. There were 2 little boys that just ran amok in my office. The little girls were just as energetic(!!!!!).

Yes thanks loris... When the photo story came out McLaughlin said something like "Everyone knows Harley's (tough) story" intimating at a really rough life, yet I haven't heard anything about it let alone "everyone knows it"

Heard a few commentators say at the time that also had no idea what his story entailed.

Any ideas loris?

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

Yes thanks loris... When the photo story came out McLaughlin said something like "Everyone knows Harley's (tough) story" intimating at a really rough life, yet I haven't heard anything about it let alone "everyone knows it"

Heard a few commentators say at the time that also had no idea what his story entailed.

Any ideas loris?
Was he locked in a room as a child with a mad red-haired Sainter?? Couldn't escape no matter how hard he tried, although, strangely, is now mysteriously drawn to the r,w&b...

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Good on you Loris. Lovely story.

Always loyal
dragit
Saintsational Legend

satchmo wrote:
dragit wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

Any ideas loris?
Was he locked in a room as a child with a mad red-haired Sainter?? Couldn't escape no matter how hard he tried, although, strangely, is now mysteriously drawn to the r,w&b...
That's the most likely backstory you'd think yes.

loris
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

Any ideas loris?

Can't vouch for this at all dragit but I think someone in Bennell family took him in, some issue when an infant with one of his parents. Whether he just took on their name or was adopted I'm not certain. I have a vague recollection it was something like this. Anyway he had the influences to a truly amazing grandma, whether she was a blood relilie or not. Wonderful woman.
Last edited by loris on Fri 04 Sep 2015 10:59pm, edited 1 time in total.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Boring if he goes to the Hawks at the end of their golden run. They wont be up forever.

Here is the article from the time the photo came out - sounds like a pretty remorseful bloke

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-07-23/i ... ing-sacked

No idea about the alleged Gillon quote - sounds made up to me?

(Seriously the photo thing was nothing but gutter journalism from slobbo who was conducting a jihad for Hirdie at the time. Anything to get the heat of his hero. And yes we know for a fact slobbo was paid for this. )

footynut
Club Player

We need to throw the kitchen sink at this block he will be a star!!!!

Could we possibly trade for Harley Bennell and Roy Thompson???

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

footynut wrote:We need to throw the kitchen sink at this block he will be a star!!!!

How could we do that?

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
footynut wrote:We need to throw the kitchen sink at this block he will be a star!!!!

How could we do that?
First we trade for Fyfe and Taylor Walker, then we on trade them to GC for Bennell and Thompson. Easy.