8 goals in 8 quarters

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

chook23
Saintsational Legend

8 goals in 8 quarters

As bad as the 80"s

really disappointing end to the year for the whole club
Last edited by chook23 on Sat 05 Sep 2015 11:19pm, edited 1 time in total.

saint4life
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: 8 goals in 8 quarters

chook23 wrote:As bad as the 80"s
That is quite bad.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Effort is there.

Structure and selection thrown out the window this past month.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

How long since a team has scored 4 goals 2 weeks in a row?

K I note your comment......but just not acceptable

saint4life
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote:How long since a team has scored 4 goals 2 weeks in a row?

K I note your comment......but just not acceptable
It's not, but either is Bruce in the ruck against nicnat

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Very ordinary Saints, but gees we have an ordinary list, disgraceful really!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
Bruce G McAbee
Club Player

Agreed, a very poor finish to an otherwise good season.
I said last week that we played exactly how Sydney wanted us to play and we fell for it again tonight.
Glad it's over, hopefully next year we can eliminate these performances from our repertoire.

Think of me long enough to make a memory.
chook23
Saintsational Legend

From st.kilda twitter

Sad to finish like this, but it’s been a building year.

Building experience, building confidence, and for fans, building excitement.

10:09 PM - 5 Sep 2015

REALLY

saint4life
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Very ordinary Saints, but gees we have an ordinary list, disgraceful really! The last 2 games are going to impress any player we are trying to persuade to come to the club arent they!
Last edited by WinnersOnly on Sun 06 Sep 2015 12:00am, edited 1 time in total.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
saintpeter
Club Player

this also seems to be the lowest ever recorded

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:Very ordinary Saints, but gees we have an ordinary list, disgraceful really! The last 2 games are going to impress any player we are trying to persuade to come to the club arent they!

Who would have guessed you would post something like this.

QuestionOfAccuracy
Club Player

Been really disappointed that Armo has completely trailed off in the later stages of the year. These last two weeks are when we needed him to lead the way in the midfield the most.

The good thing about these last two weeks (and the Freo game) is that it shines a bright light on the weaknesses of the team/list right now; it gives a better gauge of where we're at than getting cruddy wins over the Lions etc.

The midfield is really feeble - hence, why I was frustrated at Armo. And if there isn't sufficient midfield (and forward) pressure then our backs are going to get slaughtered. And unlike our midfield, we haven't barely begun to transition to our future defence.

Seb Ross lack of progress has been on display the last two weeks in particular. Brodie Murdoch? May have shown enough.

Bruce has been a revelation - and a pleasure to watch at times - but he really needs to strengthen up a bit. Far too many times last night he wasn't able to just bring the ball to ground or he was just too easily nudged out of the contest.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Last time we kicked such low consecutive scores was season 1988

Prior to that was 1955

and what a shocking year that was....................our total scores for that year 861 for an average of 48

highlights just how bad this fortnight was.......

saint4life
saint-stu
Club Player

QuestionOfAccuracy wrote:Been really disappointed that Armo has completely trailed off in the later stages of the year. These last two weeks are when we needed him to lead the way in the midfield the most.

The good thing about these last two weeks (and the Freo game) is that it shines a bright light on the weaknesses of the team/list right now; it gives a better gauge of where we're at than getting cruddy wins over the Lions etc.

The midfield is really feeble - hence, why I was frustrated at Armo. And if there isn't sufficient midfield (and forward) pressure then our backs are going to get slaughtered. And unlike our midfield, we haven't barely begun to transition to our future defence.

Seb Ross lack of progress has been on display the last two weeks in particular. Brodie Murdoch? May have shown enough.

Bruce has been a revelation - and a pleasure to watch at times - but he really needs to strengthen up a bit. Far too many times last night he wasn't able to just bring the ball to ground or he was just too easily nudged out of the contest.
I thought Seb looked pretty good for a young player last night. 25 disposals and 9 tackles. He seemed to go pretty well in traffic.

I was more disappointed with the senior players. We didn't get enough from Roo, Armo, Ray, Geary, Gilbo.

It seemed more a game plan or structural problem though. We just break down every time we enter our forward 50.

1ac46a38
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

A very disappointing end (last 2 games), to what was quite an encouraging season. The last 2 games just shows how far behind the top sides, we are.

My concern is that I can't see too many with enough star quality to lift us up to the top again - Goddard & McCartin the exceptions.

spert
Saintsational Legend

A really poor effort from coach and players in these last two games- I don't mind us going down to top teams and putting up a fight in the process, but to lose by a total of 30 odd goals in two consecutive matches, and barely trouble the scoreboard is something the board and head of football would want to be seriously asking Richo when the season is reviewed.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:A really poor effort from coach and players in these last two games- I don't mind us going down to top teams and putting up a fight in the process, but to lose by a total of 30 odd goals in two consecutive matches, and barely trouble the scoreboard is something the board and head of football would want to be seriously asking Richo when the season is reviewed.

Of course it was the coach. Has he had anything to do with the wins or is it only the losses. Still won one half more game than SW in his last year with a list probably 10 goals inferior.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote:Last time we kicked such low consecutive scores was season 1988

Prior to that was 1955

and what a shocking year that was....................our total scores for that year 861 for an average of 48

And this is why I think 2016 will be another development year. Midfield struggled after Montagna and Armitage. Bottom five finish again, I should think. We have added two new players from other lists who are going to be very good, but we may not see a whole lot of them in 2016. Our draftees will get their chances, but apart from that I cannot see where the immediate improvement will come from. We would be hoping for a small injury list too.
Forward line is dysfunctional at times and conversion rate inside 50 is poor. AR will definitely have the team working on this next year, but I think a lot of the sides around us will improve more than us in 2016, barring Essendon and Carlton, and cannot see much downward trajectory for clubs in the middle tier - 8-13th. Drafting and trades at the end of 2016 are going to be absolutely critical.
Last edited by samuraisaint on Sat 12 Dec 2015 11:52am, edited 2 times in total.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:
chook23 wrote:Last time we kicked such low consecutive scores was season 1988

Prior to that was 1955

And this is why I think 2016 will be another development year. Bottom four again, I should think. We have added two new players from other lists who are very good players, but we may not see a whole lot of them in 2016. Our draftees will get their chances, but apart from that I cannot see where the immediate improvement will come from. We would be hoping for a small injury list too.
Sounds likely.

Just hoping by 2020 (our flag year so they tell us) we have found replacements for Roo, Fisher and Joey.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

saint-stu wrote:
QuestionOfAccuracy wrote:Been really disappointed that Armo has completely trailed off in the later stages of the year. These last two weeks are when we needed him to lead the way in the midfield the most.

I thought Seb looked pretty good for a young player last night. 25 disposals and 9 tackles. He seemed to go pretty well in traffic.

I was more disappointed with the senior players. We didn't get enough from Roo, Armo, Ray, Geary, Gilbo.

It seemed more a game plan or structural problem though. We just break down every time we enter our forward 50.
But it didn't stop us from kicking 8 goals in one quarter against sides like Gold Coast, Brisbane, Essendon, Richmond, Western Bulldogs and Melbourne, which means that in the final six rounds the personnel was the problem. Hickey needs to be played in the ruck, not Jason Holmes, and we need to be patient with our teenage players who will struggle to play out seasons for the next couple of years.
EDIT: we only kicked six in a quarter against Western Bulldogs, Melbourne and Richmond, seven against Brisbane, but my point stands. The players weren't up and about from round 16 onwards.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.