2015 - Draft & Trade Thread

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Re: 2015 - Draft & Trade Thread

plugger66 wrote:
Linton Lodger wrote:
MC Gusto wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
MC Gusto wrote:There is no way dunstan will be traded.

If it is a player and it is the bombers my guess is Ross or hickey

But like I said earlier Carlisle is out of contract, has requested a trade and has wada hanging over his head. We owe Essendon f-all so if they don't deal he can go to Carlton in the psd for nought and we move on

So we give up because we may have to pay close to the right price? I don't think that would be smart. If the club want him, which seems very obvious, I think they will pay the right price and that isn't a straight swap for either of those players even though Hickey is closer to what they would want. Maybe chuck in our second rounder and it could get done even though I think Luenberger maybe going there so Hickey wont be wanted. To be honest Id rather trade Longer.
Geez I'm glad you're not one of my buying team!

If you believe the press Essendon started their negs by asking for billings...how would you respond? I negotiate for a living and based on that I'd be going hardball all the way to the kill.
2nd round pick at most
That's the spirit, bend them over. We did it to Hawthorn when they wanted McEvoy & did so to Brisbane in the Longer deal. Keep it up. I'd trade Geary for Carlisle. Ross or Hickey? No way.

Obviously you don't want him or if you do you are completely unrealistic. Geary for Carlisle gets Carlisle legs. I think we need him to mark it as well as kick it. No idea why you wouldn't trade Ross or Hickey and even then we would have to add more. Actually I wouldn't trade Hickey but I certainly would see if they want Longer. Anyway its a moot call because they can get Luenberger for nothing.
The prob is Ess will struggle to attract players unless the player is up for a nice superannuation package at the end of their career (Coon, Chap) or a possible delistee. I doubt many of our guys would wanna go there therefore draft picks is the primary currency.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Trade Rumours Extra

Rosco wrote:why would they want saad? and if they did, saad + 2nd rounder wouldn't be enough.

carlisle is ~pick 10 worthy, i agree with plugger.

saad + pick 25 does not equal pick 10.
He's negative value.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Re: Trade Rumours

plugger66 wrote:
Linton Lodger wrote:
MC Gusto wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
MC Gusto wrote:There is no way dunstan will be traded.

If it is a player and it is the bombers my guess is Ross or hickey

But like I said earlier Carlisle is out of contract, has requested a trade and has wada hanging over his head. We owe Essendon f-all so if they don't deal he can go to Carlton in the psd for nought and we move on

So we give up because we may have to pay close to the right price? I don't think that would be smart. If the club want him, which seems very obvious, I think they will pay the right price and that isn't a straight swap for either of those players even though Hickey is closer to what they would want. Maybe chuck in our second rounder and it could get done even though I think Luenberger maybe going there so Hickey wont be wanted. To be honest Id rather trade Longer.
Geez I'm glad you're not one of my buying team!

If you believe the press Essendon started their negs by asking for billings...how would you respond? I negotiate for a living and based on that I'd be going hardball all the way to the kill.
2nd round pick at most
That's the spirit, bend them over. We did it to Hawthorn when they wanted McEvoy & did so to Brisbane in the Longer deal. Keep it up. I'd trade Geary for Carlisle. Ross or Hickey? No way.

Obviously you don't want him or if you do you are completely unrealistic. Geary for Carlisle gets Carlisle legs. I think we need him to mark it as well as kick it. No idea why you wouldn't trade Ross or Hickey and even then we would have to add more. Actually I wouldn't trade Hickey but I certainly would see if they want Longer. Anyway its a moot call because they can get Luenberger for nothing.

This is not about me not wanting him this is about what is fair.

I understand you think fair is a first round pick.

I would see that as fair if the player was contracted and wasn't openly looking to leave - such as the scenario we had with McEvoy a couple of seasons ago.

My view as to what is fair for a player who is out of contract and openly / aggressively looking to leave his current club is vastly different. 2nd rounder at best. Now if another club comes in with something better eg Carlton then we are essentially negotiating with them and not the bombers otherwise as I said earlier it is take it or leave it

#1 Ryder fan
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

I note Carlisle not even in the bombers top 10 for b&f

Pretty lousy for a team that finished 4th from bottom

And they want a first rounder / billings???

Dreaming!!

#1 Ryder fan
S.A Saint
Club Player

The low b&f finish might work in our favour imho

"Heroes are never forgotten, but legends never die"
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

#1 Ryder fan
SMS
Club Player

We need carlisile. He is A GUN!
Watch his highlights!! Great hands

He had a down year. He hated being at essendon lost spirit.

We will nevwr get a KPP so cheap lets POUNCE PLEASE!!!

Give them pick 7 or whatever we end up with. This draft is pathetic!!

Parish is Fiora
Mathesion is just another bgrade dunstan. The only decent KPPs will be gone so whats everyones problem??

Carlisle, Freeman and if we can Kelly from GWS. That should be our focus.

Give GWS Tom lee and second round pick
Give Pies saunders third round.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SMS wrote:We need carlisile. He is A GUN!
Watch his highlights!! Great hands

He had a down year. He hated being at essendon lost spirit.

We will nevwr get a KPP so cheap lets POUNCE PLEASE!!!

Give them pick 7 or whatever we end up with. This draft is pathetic!!

Parish is Fiora
Mathesion is just another bgrade dunstan. The only decent KPPs will be gone so whats everyones problem??

Carlisle, Freeman and if we can Kelly from GWS. That should be our focus.

Give GWS Tom lee and second round pick
Give Pies saunders third round.

You aren't serious with what you think we could give to get those players surely? No problem with you not understanding what you need to give but don't carry on when we don't get those 2 players. As for Carlisle well he is a certain first rounder. Our problem is our pick is a fraction to high. I think we will probably do it though. He certainly isn't a second rounder which for us will be about pick 27. Not a hope of getting him. Being OOC means bugger all as most players traded are out of contract and they still get true value. The WADA thing moves him from a probably pick 10 or so to a pick 11. No impact IMO.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I see Carlisle as around the pick 10 mark
Kelly pick 15.
Freeman maybe a pick 25.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Aish and Carlisle both get a run in the "All Australian worst side."

No Saints in the side :D

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:
Devilhead wrote:Rumoured that we rate our top 5 in the draft well ahead of the rest of the draft class and that Schache isnt considered to be in our top 5

No mention of whether any academy players are in this top 5

So here's my guess

Weitering
Mills
Hopper
Parish
Tucker
I'd be very surprised if Matho and Francis were not in there.
Mills, Hopper and Parish are the three best mids in the draft according to most in the know and Weitering is considered the stand out KP

I put in Tucker as he provides outside skill and run and can accumulate and his highly likely to move into the midfield

Mathieson was the only other player I was considering for the last position but he is more inside and Mills and Hopper are better propositions in his type of role

Not sold on Francis myself - seems neither here nor there - could hold down a KP and might transfer into the midfield but not a pure KP or a pure mid

As it stands it is most definite that Weitering will go before our pick (to Carlton from all reports) and Mills and Hopper will go to Sydney and GWS respectively which leaves us with Parish and Tucker (Schache will go to Brisbane)

Tucker should still be available at pick 5 but GC or Essendon could pounce on Parish - Mathieson should be available and Francis likely to be as well

Curnow is another draftee that has been mentioned but like Francis there is no guarantee that he will move into the midfield - that said his skill set might appeal to GC or Essendon which would allow Parish to slide to us

Either way pick 5 will net us a great prospect (if we keep it for the draft ..... cough ..... cough ..... Kelly)

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:
St Ick wrote:
Devilhead wrote:Rumoured that we rate our top 5 in the draft well ahead of the rest of the draft class and that Schache isnt considered to be in our top 5

So here's my guess

Weitering
Mills
Hopper
Parish
Tucker
Mills, Hopper and Parish are the three best mids in the draft according to most in the know and Weitering is considered the stand out KP

I put in Tucker as he provides outside skill and run and can accumulate and his highly likely to move into the midfield

Mathieson was the only other player I was considering for the last position but he is more inside and Mills and Hopper are better propositions in his type of role

Not sold on Francis myself - seems neither here nor there - could hold down a KP and might transfer into the midfield but not a pure KP or a pure mid

As it stands it is most definite that Weitering will go before our pick (to Carlton from all reports) and Mills and Hopper will go to Sydney and GWS respectively which leaves us with Parish and Tucker (Schache will go to Brisbane)

Tucker should still be available at pick 5 but GC or Essendon could pounce on Parish - Mathieson should be available and Francis likely to be as well

Curnow is another draftee that has been mentioned but like Francis there is no guarantee that he will move into the midfield - that said his skill set might appeal to GC or Essendon which would allow Parish to slide to us

Either way pick 5 will net us a great prospect (if we keep it for the draft ..... cough ..... cough ..... Kelly)

It wont be for Kelly but its a huge chance for Carlisle. I don't think we will use it myself unless we can trade a reasonably good player and use our second pick as well.

saintjake
Club Player

Old Mate wrote:I still cannot believe we extended Hickey's contract. He & our 2nd would've been perfect for Carlisle.
Ever thought that we extended his contract so that he COULDN'T just walk? At 24 he hardly played this year, wouldn't surprise me if he wanted out for more opportunities

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintjake wrote:
Old Mate wrote:I still cannot believe we extended Hickey's contract. He & our 2nd would've been perfect for Carlisle.
Ever thought that we extended his contract so that he COULDN'T just walk? At 24 he hardly played this year, wouldn't surprise me if he wanted out for more opportunities

Why did he sign then?

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Carlisle would not be worth a first round pick surely. WADA still to come, he is uncontracted, did not make the top ten in the Best and Fairest for the 4th worst team. Our 2nd round pick would be fair enough.

Playon
Club Player

Well there's no way he's worth our first pick and at 750k a year.
Bombers need to be told this is our final offer 2nd rounder and perhaps a fringe player.
Our first pick would more likely be a potential A grader, Currently Carlisle is a gop that's had a few good games.

I'm starting to miss Pelchin in these situations, and if we miss out, oh well. So will the Bombers.
We could then put more effort into Kelly or use our first rounder

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Devilhead wrote:
St Ick wrote:

So here's my guess

Weitering
Mills
Hopper
Parish
Tucker

It wont be for Kelly but its a huge chance for Carlisle. I don't think we will use it myself unless we can trade a reasonably good player and use our second pick as well.
Given that Carlisle does NOT want to be playing in an Essendon jumper next year if no other club comes calling for Carlisle then Essendon are stuffed because they will likely lose him to Carlton in the PSD if they do not trade with us

Even if another club does come calling its absolutely no guarantee that Carlisle will want to be traded to them especially if they do not match our offer (which is supposedly very good)

As it stands Carlisle
- is uncontracted and does not want to play for Essendon
- has a WADA ban potentially hanging over his head
- has inconsistent recent form (not in Essendons top 10 B&F)

Carlisle might have implied that he wants Essendon to at least get something decent in return however if he is that desperate to leave then he might have to consider taking less money at a club that might offer Essendon more than what we are offering - so taking that in account dear Mr Carlisle -

North Melbourne can give Essendon pick 14 in return for your services but they are only going to be able to pay you 500,000 a year or

St Kilda will gve Essendon pick 24 in return for your services but the contract on the table is worth 650,000 a year

Where do you think Carlisle will want to go??

Carlisle will go where the money is (95% of players in the AFL would) - I very much doubt the difference between pick 14 and pick 25 will trouble his conscience when push comes to shove.

Obviously right know Carlisle is keeping his options open hoping that a bidding war might break out and push his contract price up and that Essendon might also get better a deal but currently we hold all the cards unless of course another club comes calling with a huge contract and a high draft pick, Carlisle grows a conscience a takes less money so Essendon can get a better deal or he decides to stay with Essendon

Hey Essendope here's pick 24 - take it or leave it - because they will definitely not want to lose him for nothing

We got screwed with Ball and we got screwed with Cripps ...... bout time we do a bit of screwing

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Playon
Club Player

Devilhead wrote:
Obviously right know Carlisle is keeping his options open hoping that a bidding war might break out and push his contract price up and that Essendon might also get better a deal but currently we hold all the cards unless of course another club comes calling with a huge contract and a high draft pick, Carlisle grows a conscience a takes less money so Essendon can get a better deal or he decides to stay with Essendon
This is what it's all about, driven by his manager. I doubt anyone that says "This club is F***** " is going to care what they get for him.
It's not doing us any favors and may entice Carlton to place a bid, we need give a final offer

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Playon wrote:
Devilhead wrote:
This is what it's all about, driven by his manager. I doubt anyone that says "This club is F***** " is going to care what they get for him.
It's not doing us any favors and may entice Carlton to place a bid, we need give a final offer
How do you know we haven't?

How do you know we have given a first offer?

Only thing in this whole scenario - if we give up #5 for an OOC , disgruntled, WADA issued, non top 10 in the putrid bombers B&F and also with reported attitude problems, I Would be very very disappointed.

We really need to keep #5 for a quality mid or only trade it for a Kelly type.Otherwise pick up the first left from Parish, Tucker, Mathesion, Balic or Curnow.

If we miss Carlisle too bad

You are garbage - Enough said
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Devilhead wrote:
St Ick wrote:

So here's my guess

Weitering
Mills
Hopper
Parish
Tucker

Given that Carlisle does NOT want to be playing in an Essendon jumper next year if no other club comes calling for Carlisle then Essendon are stuffed because they will likely lose him to Carlton in the PSD if they do not trade with us

Even if another club does come calling its absolutely no guarantee that Carlisle will want to be traded to them especially if they do not match our offer (which is supposedly very good)

As it stands Carlisle

Carlisle might have implied that he wants Essendon to at least get something decent in return however if he is that desperate to leave then he might have to consider taking less money at a club that might offer Essendon more than what we are offering - so taking that in account dear Mr Carlisle -

North Melbourne can give Essendon pick 14 in return for your services but they are only going to be able to pay you 500,000 a year or

St Kilda will gve Essendon pick 24 in return for your services but the contract on the table is worth 650,000 a year

Carlisle will go where the money is (95% of players in the AFL would) - I very much doubt the difference between pick 14 and pick 25 will trouble his conscience when push comes to shove.

Hey Essendope here's pick 24 - take it or leave it - because they will definitely not want to lose him for nothing

We got screwed with Ball and we got screwed with Cripps ...... bout time we do a bit of screwing
The first thing is we wont have pick 24 unless we trade for it. Second he is worth much more than that. Third is most players who swap clubs are OOC but still get true value. Fourth is he wont want to completely stuff Essendon up so if one club offers a lot more than us he will probably go there especially if its in Victoria. The only thing I will give you is WADA but its seems he like most will get about 4 weeks if they are even found guilty so no effect if its a 4 or 5 year contract.

As for us getting screwed previously well that has exactly naught to do with this trade. The saints want him. That is clear. It seems to me there will be some vewry disappointed people here because I think the best we can do is get their second round back for our first round but to me it seems nearly certain we will lose that pick.

And I wish someone could explain how we hold the cards. He hasn't even said he wants to come to us. We have said we are interested in him. If someone can come up with a player with his potential that went for about pick 28 I'm happy to hear.
Last edited by plugger66 on Thu 17 Sep 2015 8:06pm, edited 1 time in total.

FQF
SS Life Member

Why has this Kelly rumour not be reported whatsoever in the press? It seems completely baseless.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:Why has this Kelly rumour not be reported whatsoever in the press? It seems completely baseless.

I'm 100% sure it is and that's why we need to try and grab players that are at least a chance.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

saintjake wrote:
He was already contracted for next year. We extended it.

mambo2706
Club Player

Old Mate wrote:
saintjake wrote:
He was already contracted for next year. We extended it.
Ben McEvoy was traded even though he had 2 years to run on his contract. If a player and club both agree that player can still be traded.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Devilhead wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Devilhead wrote:
St Ick wrote:

So here's my guess

Weitering
Mills
Hopper
Parish
Tucker

As it stands Carlisle

The first thing is we wont have pick 24 unless we trade for it. Second he is worth much more than that. Third is most players who swap clubs are OOC but still get true value. Fourth is he wont want to completely stuff Essendon up so if one club offers a lot more than us he will probably go there especially if its in Victoria. The only thing I will give you is WADA but its seems he like most will get about 4 weeks if they are even found guilty so no effect if its a 4 or 5 year contract.

As for us getting screwed previously well that has exactly naught to do with this trade. The saints want him. That is clear. It seems to me there will be some vewry disappointed people here because I think the best we can do is get their second round back for our first round but to me it seems nearly certain we will lose that pick.

And I wish someone could explain how we hold the cards. He hasn't even said he wants to come to us. We have said we are interested in him. If someone can come up with a player with his potential that went for about pick 28 I'm happy to hear.
I reckon that Ryder was probably ahead on out put and he got them about a second rounder from memory. Carlisle has been pretty average since the drugs wore off.