Why Paddy_ Emma Quayle Book- exerpt

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Why Paddy_ Emma Quayle Book- exerpt

Yeah not sold on Paddy on this year at all. Looks like a long term investment before any payoff. And hopefully the payoff will be worth it. Who knows. We thought Hawkins took awhile, but he showed much more potential in his first year - kicking 7 in his first two games. He quickly petered out that year but we'd seen enough to know. We certainly haven't seen enough from Padyy to do more than guess. Fingers crossed.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

He was picked at number 1. as a Key Forward. He was played early and failed. I am assuming that they thought he was good enough. He failed fairly miserably and hasnt set the VFL on fire either. He is obviously a hard working, straight talking, likeable guy. Thats all Im hearing from the excert from above. The rest is a gamble. He is quoted as being a natural forward by recruiters and is getting instruction from a VFL coach to get himself into dangerous spots more often and to stop running up the ground to get kicks. He has a lot of work to do and has very few highlights to work from so far. Sorry to Paddy for the scrutiny but the facts are facts and speculation is speculation.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote:He was picked at number 1. as a Key Forward. He was played early and failed. I am assuming that they thought he was good enough. He failed fairly miserably and hasnt set the VFL on fire either. He is obviously a hard working, straight talking, likeable guy. Thats all Im hearing from the excert from above. The rest is a gamble. He is quoted as being a natural forward by recruiters and is getting instruction from a VFL coach to get himself into dangerous spots more often and to stop running up the ground to get kicks. He has a lot of work to do and has very few highlights to work from so far. Sorry to Paddy for the scrutiny but the facts are facts and speculation is speculation.
So I take it you think he'll be a star!

Failed miserably is an amazing statement. Did you see him against Melbourne at the G? I will give you one undisputable fact, He's going better than Petracca. :D 8-)

Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
CQ SAINT wrote:Its all speculation, pure and simple speculation. I dont rate McCartin as highly as some do and this year has proven that there is still a bit for him to work on. He is lucky we found a few other avenues to goal this year but if McCartin doesnt play at least 10 games next year and kick at least 20 goals he was a mistake. On what I have seen and read from him in 2015 I am a tad dissapointed. Plugger played 5 games and we all new he was gonna be a gun. McCartin looks like a third tall at best atm. Sorry.

If you or anyone else was thinking we were getting the next plugger well its you who was overating McCartin. Firstly the way footy is played today there will never be the next plugger and secondly it was obvious he was going to need 2 to 3 years to see if he is a good pick or not. To early next year IMO.
There was only one Tony Lockett.
Nobody before him or after him was or will be like him. We were blessed to have him grow up in Ballarat so we could get him out of our zone.

There's a reason he holds the record for the most goals kicked in VFL/AFL history.

It's just a pity we couldn't take full advantage of having him with Loewe, Harvey, Winmar, Burke and Fletcher in the 91/92 era.

I have liked what I've seen from McCartin and he will take time as most KPP do in today's game. They need to build size and endurance but not too quickly otherwise they are cruelled with soft tissue injuries.

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

Life Long Saint wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
CQ SAINT wrote:Its all speculation, pure and simple speculation. I dont rate McCartin as highly as some do and this year has proven that there is still a bit for him to work on. He is lucky we found a few other avenues to goal this year but if McCartin doesnt play at least 10 games next year and kick at least 20 goals he was a mistake. On what I have seen and read from him in 2015 I am a tad dissapointed. Plugger played 5 games and we all new he was gonna be a gun. McCartin looks like a third tall at best atm. Sorry.

If you or anyone else was thinking we were getting the next plugger well its you who was overating McCartin. Firstly the way footy is played today there will never be the next plugger and secondly it was obvious he was going to need 2 to 3 years to see if he is a good pick or not. To early next year IMO.
There was only one Tony Lockett.
Nobody before him or after him was or will be like him. We were blessed to have him grow up in Ballarat so we could get him out of our zone.

There's a reason he holds the record for the most goals kicked in VFL/AFL history.

It's just a pity we couldn't take full advantage of having him with Loewe, Harvey, Winmar, Burke and Fletcher in the 91/92 era.

I have liked what I've seen from McCartin and he will take time as most KPP do in today's game. They need to build size and endurance but not too quickly otherwise they are cruelled with soft tissue injuries.
Agree wholeheartedly, especially that early 90s era. Should've, could've, but ultimately fell short again, well short, unfortunately.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Too early to say
He can easily still reach his potential OR he becomes another Kosi (nice guy that never really set the world on fire at no 2 pick apart from a run of 4 games and 11 Brownlow votes)

We certainly took a gamble on Paddy so scrutiny will come - will also watch Petracca with interest as I was in favour of taking a mid

That said I get the whole "let's not pay a fortune for a key forward and that's fine as long as your key forward doesn't turn out to be a GOP with pick 1.....

“Yeah….nah””
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

I for one am rapt we selected Paddy.

And I've got no doubt he will prove a worthy selection once he hits his straps. No doubt whatsoever.

Of course we're not going to know one way or the other for a while yet. And my vote of confidence adds absolutely nothing to the likelihood he'll make it.

But as there's a few out there who seem concerned about our decision to draft the lad I just thought I'd offer my opinion to the contrary.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:Too early to say
He can easily still reach his potential OR he becomes another Kosi (nice guy that never really set the world on fire at no 2 pick apart from a run of 4 games and 11 Brownlow votes)

We certainly took a gamble on Paddy so scrutiny will come - will also watch Petracca with interest as I was in favour of taking a mid

That said I get the whole "let's not pay a fortune for a key forward and that's fine as long as your key forward doesn't turn out to be a GOP with pick 1.....
It wasn't a huge gamble at all. He was rated one or two by just about everyone just like Watts was. Sometimes players aren't good enough at any pick. Not even suggesting it about McCartin because I think and hope he makes it. Luckily we weren't good enough last year to finish higher. Or maybe we should have been so we didn't get the choice of pick one. Then people cant whinge we got a dud.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

I hope and think he will come good late next season.

I also hope The Tractor takes a while to make us feel better.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

On first observations doesn't strike me as a number 1 pick, but there must be something there for all the experts to say that he was an elite junior. Hopefully he shows the natural progression expected and justifies the experts. I just think he needs to develop his fitness as does Goddard and then it will all fall into place. Personally I'm not in a position to say how good he will be but I really hope he he becomes a match winner, because that's what we need.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Apparently reports from people who watch the TAC closely reckon if was playing this year he would make Shache look like Kosi to him being Roo.

Don't be fooled by one undeveloped AFL year. He is just a kid and needs to develop his body and fitness. We are looking long term remember

You are garbage - Enough said
St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

I find it encouraging to look at the little things a young bloke can do early on in their careers. The little things that might be habit, or natural talent, or a combination of both.

Paddy's first game against the 'Pies wont be his best. But there were a couple of moments to suggest we've got a good one on out hands. A couple of times late in the game he picked up a couple of half volley and dished off good handballs to team mates running past. He had no time to think about it, just did what he knew to do.

I'm not expecting him dominate games and kick huge bags for a few years yet, he just need to keep showing these glimpses of talent, and make steady improvements to his impact on games.

S.A Saint
Club Player

St Chris wrote:I find it encouraging to look at the little things a young bloke can do early on in their careers. The little things that might be habit, or natural talent, or a combination of both.

Paddy's first game against the 'Pies wont be his best. But there were a couple of moments to suggest we've got a good one on out hands. A couple of times late in the game he picked up a couple of half volley and dished off good handballs to team mates running past. He had no time to think about it, just did what he knew to do.

I'm not expecting him dominate games and kick huge bags for a few years yet, he just need to keep showing these glimpses of talent, and make steady improvements to his impact on games.
Agree with you on the glimpses of potential.

having a close look at Boyd this year with 2 pre seasons under his belt, I can honestly say that Paddy has him covered in all areas of the game esp in agility, speed and even marking.

The kid will be a dead set gun once he has 3 or so pre seasons under his belt and loses the puppy fat that he has atm.

"Heroes are never forgotten, but legends never die"
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

His best game was a fair one and he showed little a bit. Unfortunately, it was against Melb who are an elite VFL side at best.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote:His best game was a fair one and he showed little a bit. Unfortunately, it was against Melb who are an elite VFL side at best.

And to think they beat many more sides than us above them on the ladder. I think people potting him after one season when it was obvious that he clearly wasn't ready either know bugger all about the game or expected way to much in the first place.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
CQ SAINT wrote:His best game was a fair one and he showed little a bit. Unfortunately, it was against Melb who are an elite VFL side at best.

And to think they beat many more sides than us above them on the ladder. I think people potting him after one season when it was obvious that he clearly wasn't ready either know bugger all about the game or expected way to much in the first place.
We didnt pick him. The recruiters did. They picked him because he was better value than targeting an established forward after Roo retires. By the time he comes good (according to his supporters) we would have spent 600 to 700k developing him. The same average yearly income of a proven player we could buy.

Im glad he has great character and he is working hard. Im glad he is unselfish and players will want to be around him. I just hope its at St.Kilda and not at Sandringham.

If we were to trade him now what would we get. A number 1 pick? I dont think so.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

We didnt pick him. The recruiters did. They picked him because he was better value than targeting an established forward after Roo retires. By the time he comes good (according to his supporters) we would have spent 600 to 700k developing him. The same average yearly income of a proven player we could buy.

Im glad he has great character and he is working hard. Im glad he is unselfish and players will want to be around him. I just hope its at St.Kilda and not at Sandringham.

If we were to trade him now what would we get. A number 1 pick? I dont think so.

Who suggested we picked him? And your point on the money makes no sense at all because money spent on developing a players isn't in the salary cap but getting a Boyd type is. And if we traded him now we wouldn't get a number one pick but neither would Boyd, Patton, Watts and I could go on. Would Petracca get number 2. Probably not. Would Kelly get 2. No. Would Bont get 4. No because he would get number one.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
CQ SAINT wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Who suggested we picked him? And your point on the money makes no sense at all because money spent on developing a players isn't in the salary cap but getting a Boyd type is. And if we traded him now we wouldn't get a number one pick but neither would Boyd, Patton, Watts and I could go on. Would Petracca get number 2. Probably not. Would Kelly get 2. No. Would Bont get 4. No because he would get number one.
Oh thats great news plugger66. He is obviously playing for nothing then. This discussion would be more fun if you stopped proving my points for me. Sorry bout my mistake. I didnt pick him and I didnt expect anything from him as a result. Again you are proven wrong and he has provided exactly what I expected. Nothing.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
CQ SAINT wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Oh thats great news plugger66. He is obviously playing for nothing then. This discussion would be more fun if you stopped proving my points for me. Sorry bout my mistake. I didnt pick him and I didnt expect anything from him as a result. Again you are proven wrong and he has provided exactly what I expected. Nothing.

You aren't making sense at all. You didn't pick him but to expect him to be going better than his is means you either overated him when picked or don't understand footy. There is no other logical conclusion I can come to. And he is obviously playing for nothing then? What does that even mean? He gets bugger all now and even if we spent 700K on salary for the previous years it doesn't effect the cap like 700K one hit would. You do realise he can only get about 100K a year at the moment by the way so I don't even know where 700K comes from if its only salary you are talking about. That is why I thought you also meant developing money. I didn't realise you don't understand the pay structure. I do like your posts though. Having a go at McCartin but thinking a guy who has never played a game in 2 years could be a good pick up. Yep makes sense.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
CQ SAINT wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

But apparently a player who went at pick 23, could not get in his clubs top 10 B&F and has a drugs ban hanging over his head is worth #5 according to some.

Go figure

You are garbage - Enough said
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
CQ SAINT wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

But apparently a player who went at pick 23, could not get in his clubs top 10 B&F and has a drugs ban hanging over his head is worth #5 according to some.

Go figure
Good points.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
CQ SAINT wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Go figure

hello
Last edited by plugger66 on Tue 22 Sep 2015 7:32pm, edited 1 time in total.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
CQ SAINT wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
CQ SAINT wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

You aren't making sense at all. You didn't pick him but to expect him to be going better than his is means you either overated him when picked or don't understand footy. There is no other logical conclusion I can come to. And he is obviously playing for nothing then? What does that even mean? He gets bugger all now and even if we spent 700K on salary for the previous years it doesn't effect the cap like 700K one hit would. You do realise he can only get about 100K a year at the moment by the way so I don't even know where 700K comes from if its only salary you are talking about. That is why I thought you also meant developing money. I didn't realise you don't understand the pay structure. I do like your posts though. Having a go at McCartin but thinking a guy who has never played a game in 2 years could be a good pick up. Yep makes sense.

Are you talking about Freeman again? Your gunna have to lift your game. Are you related to him or have you been harbouring hope since you identified him as a gun at 8 years of age. Your wisdom and insight is astounding me.

Sorry Paddy McCartin, I expect a number 1 pick to do more than you have so far. Not having a go at you and not prepared to talk you up in the hope that in 3 years you might do something. Time to man up and do something now. Not necessarily on the field every week but give the selection committee at least a reason to develop you in an AFL team. AR said as much in his lasted public commentary on you.

Plugger66 you are the Caro Wilson of Saintsational land. Keep up the great work bud. You are the highlight of my holidays so far.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote:
Are you talking about Freeman again? Your gunna have to lift your game. Are you related to him or have you been harbouring hope since you identified him as a gun at 8 years of age. Your wisdom and insight is astounding me.

Sorry Paddy McCartin, I expect a number 1 pick to do more than you have so far. Not having a go at you and not prepared to talk you up in the hope that in 3 years you might do something. Time to man up and do something now. Not necessarily on the field every week but give the selection committee at least a reason to develop you in an AFL team. AR said as much in his lasted public commentary on you.

Plugger66 you are the Caro Wilson of Saintsational land. Keep up the great work bud. You are the highlight of my holidays so far.
I'm boring and illogical.
Last edited by plugger66 on Tue 22 Sep 2015 7:32pm, edited 1 time in total.

stjay
Club Player

Expecting anything from an 18-19y.o KPP in his first year regardless of whether he was pick 1 or not is totally unrealistic.
As sure as night comes day, unrealistic expectation turns to failure - no surprises there.

The kid will be fine, he has shown true glimpses of quality which indicate its there to be developed. That combined with a competitive spirit and before you know it we will have a genuine FF target.
I really hope they let him find his feet at Sandy for awhile before throwing him back into the fray.
Cut the kid some slack.