Why Paddy_ Emma Quayle Book- exerpt

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Re: Why Paddy_ Emma Quayle Book- exerpt

There was nothing from this year to suggest that Paddy will make it. The only thing the optimists are hanging their hats on is the fact that he is young and big players take longer to develop. If he was pick 40 then almost all would be writing him off. Not sure anyone on here WANTS him to fail. If they did, they wouldn't be a Saints supporter. From what I have seen though, he looks a tad overweight, a little slow, not very athletic, and not quite as big as I expected.

The only thing I'm hanging on to is the fact that I thought that Tom Lynch was the biggest dud I'd ever seen run around, and he's become quite a good player for the crows. I also thought that Cripps looked like a sheep dog wearing a st kilda guernsey. He too has come good for WC. It does happen, but if anyone who claims that McCartin will be a gun from what we have seen so far - then they have a crystal ball. He was #1 selection and we're entitled to be a tad worried I reckon. Fingers crossed for the kid, as he seems like a great young kid, who, if he becomes the player we want him to be, will be a ripper player and just as good a captain for our club some time in the future.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:Three was nothing from this year to suggest that Paddy will make it. The only thing the optimists are hanging their hats on is the fact that he young and big players take longer to develop. If he was pick 40 then almost all would be writing him off. Not sure anyone on here WANTS him to fail. If they did, they wouldn't be a Saints supporter. From what I have seen, he looks a tad overweight, a little slow, not very athletic, and not quite as big as I expected.

The only thing I'm hanging on to is the fact that I thought that Tom Lynch was the biggest dud I'd ever seen run around, and he's become quite a good player for the crows. I also thought that Cripps looked like a sheep dog wearing a st kilda guernsey. He too has come good for WC. It does happen, but if anyone who claims that McCartin will be a gun from what we have seen so far - then they have a crystal ball. He was #1 selection and we're entitled to be a tad worried I reckon.

I agree about anyone saying he will be a gun has a crystal ball but I actually thought he would go about as well or poorly as he did this year. He was more overweight last year. You could tell he had a body that was going to take 2 to 3 years to get right. I haven't seen anything to be worried about yet. He seems to move ok to me for a KPP. Lets face it only 2 players were talked about as number one and one didn't play at all. He may never be the best player in the draft. Most number ones aren't but if he becomes a very good player then we have done well.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

I agree, but then, if, maybe.

Caro Wilson.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Our previous 2 number one picks have been genuine stars. I trust, and will stick with our recruiters. Trolls and school kids views on our recruiting don't interest me. I give them little credence.

CQ SAINT wrote:I agree, but then, if, maybe.

Caro Wilson.

I'm boring and illogical
Last edited by plugger66 on Tue 22 Sep 2015 7:31pm, edited 1 time in total.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

8856brother wrote:Our previous 2 number one picks have been genuine stars. I trust, and will stick with our recruiters. Trolls and school kids views on our recruiting don't interest me. I give them little credence.
Our 2 previous No 1 Stars were picked well over a decade ago by completely different personal. Just saying.

Billings, Lonie, Sinclair and Goodard great acquisitions. Showing promise and doing well. My opinion on McCartin is valid in my eyes and I have a right to it. I am not the only one. Makes me no less a Saint for saying it. I wont be broken hearted if he ends up a great of the club and I wont claim credit if he comes out next year and proves me wrong.

Football is a fickle business. McCartin doesnt talk himself up. The people who picked him do. But you will notice his coaches putting pressure on him publicly and trying to inspire him to perform. We need to kick goals. You only win if you outscore the other team. If you cant handle criticism you arent much of a No.1 pick. Champions rise above it. I havent been cruel or abusing just brutally honest. I expect more of him. A lot more.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote:
8856brother wrote:Our previous 2 number one picks have been genuine stars. I trust, and will stick with our recruiters. Trolls and school kids views on our recruiting don't interest me. I give them little credence.
Our 2 previous No 1 Stars were picked well over a decade ago by completely different personal. Just saying.

Billings, Lonie, Sinclair and Goodard great acquisitions. Showing promise and doing well. My opinion on McCartin is valid in my eyes and I have a right to it. I am not the only one. Makes me no less a Saint for saying it. I wont be broken hearted if he ends up a great of the club and I wont claim credit if he comes out next year and proves me wrong.

Football is a fickle business. McCartin doesnt talk himself up. The people who picked him do. But you will notice his coaches putting pressure on him publicly and trying to inspire him to perform. We need to kick goals. You only win if you outscore the other team. If you cant handle criticism you arent much of a No.1 pick. Champions rise above it. I havent been cruel or abusing just brutally honest. I expect more of him. A lot more.

And I'm sure he isn't reading it so really all its doing is showing us you expected to much or don't understand how long it takes most KPP to make it. Patton and Boyd were rated way ahead of McCartin even if all 3 were number one and they still haven't made it.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
CQ SAINT wrote:

And I'm sure he isn't reading it so really all its doing is showing us you expected to much or don't understand how long it takes most KPP to make it. Patton and Boyd were rated way ahead of McCartin even if all 3 were number one and they still haven't made it.

Yes plugger66 you are the AFL expert here. You legend. Patton and Boyd would be very disappointing to their fans too. But I dont care about GWS or WB.

I dont know anything about football other than what I learn from you. You are the guru and all your posts should be highlighted by the herald sun and you should be on Foxtel with your own show.

Keep your chin up buddy. We might get Freeman yet. Cause Collingwood still want him and he hasnt played for 2 years. He is also very cute and would look good in our colours.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote:
Yes plugger66 you are the AFL expert here. You legend. Patton and Boyd would be very disappointing to their fans too. But I dont care about GWS or WB.

I dont know anything about football other than what I learn from you. You are the guru and all your posts should be highlighted by the herald sun and you should be on Foxtel with your own show.

Keep your chin up buddy. We might get Freeman yet. Cause Collingwood still want him and he hasnt played for 2 years. He is also very cute and would look good in our colours.
I'm no expert. Not even close. The point of mentioning their names is it takes talls time no matter how they are rated. I thought you may have understood what I was getting at. The rest of you post shows that you have issues that you should attend to. If you don't want a serious discussion then head to another forum. I think we are opening up a kiddies forum. The thing is your posts started positively but you obviously cant handle being challenged.

I honestly still cant see why you are positive with Jansen who is a mid yet to play a game in 2 years but are all over McCartin like a cheap suit even though he is a KPP and in his first year but still managed some senior footy this year. Sorry but I find that strange. Maybe you would be more positive if he didn't play this year as you wouldn't have found fault like it seems you haven't with Jansen.

stjay
Club Player

Footy may be fickle but it is not unrealistic.
The "I'll bag you until you prove me wrong" attitude is so cynical and quite immature.
The guy played as a stay at home forward for Vic Country where they play one-on-one footy which is totally different from the demands of senior footy. Not exactly a great way to build a physique or a tank either.
By his own admission Richo said Paddy was played before he was ready - not exactly the right thing to do to a young player.
FFS cut the kid some slack.

the dome
Club Player

Paddy Approaching 12 monthes since picked.

2nd. preseason approaching for Paddy since last season's draft. Just wishing Paddy all the best for the summer ground work. I'm as impatient as the next person and like Paddy's character as well but Pre-season number 2 has to be the focus for the club in regard to Paddy.
One thing at a time. I think Paddy has natural talent but plenty of ground-work is needed before these skills fulfill Paddys' potential.
I am happy with the progress of Bruccheey & Hughie. Carlisle if he signs up may well extend our overall confidence of where we are at but it all seems too early to call in the Key Positions side of the team. :)

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Jansen and McCartin are 2 completely separate threads. In a childish attempt to cover up your if, but, maybe philosophies drawn straight from news media BS you have been able to link the 2 together to try and annoy me. You cant. Jansen is unrealised talent. Brisbane Lions (an AFL football club) look likely to take him. You and others wouldnt even look at him cause quote 'I never heard of him' and we 'dont need inside mids at all'. He is more than that and while proving it he got runner up best and fairest at a VFL club playing forward back and in the middle at 20 years of age and 192cm and 93kg. Fairly self explanatory. There was never a comparison between the 2 made by me. 2 completely different threads in which you have repeatedly made a tool of yourself in both.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

stjay wrote:Footy may be fickle but it is not unrealistic.
The "I'll bag you until you prove me wrong" attitude is so cynical and quite immature.
The guy played as a stay at home forward for Vic Country where they play one-on-one footy which is totally different from the demands of senior footy. Not exactly a great way to build a physique or a tank either.
By his own admission Richo said Paddy was played before he was ready - not exactly the right thing to do to a young player.
I agree with your reasoning. The draft was shallow and he is no where near ready. I hope he does well but will insist we should have done better with a No 1 pick.. I never rated him and havent changed my mind just cause he wears our jumper. That is all.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote:Jansen and McCartin are 2 completely separate threads. In a childish attempt to cover up your if, but, maybe philosophies drawn straight from news media BS you have been able to link the 2 together to try and annoy me. You cant. Jansen is unrealised talent. Brisbane Lions (an AFL football club) look likely to take him. You and others wouldnt even look at him cause quote 'I never heard of him' and we 'dont need inside mids at all'. He is more than that and while proving it he got runner up best and fairest at a VFL club playing forward back and in the middle at 20 years of age and 192cm and 93kg. Fairly self explanatory. There was never a comparison between the 2 made by me. 2 completely different threads in which you have repeatedly made a tool of yourself in both.

Personal insults because you cant rasp my point. The point of mentioning those 2 in the same post is you are wrapped with progress of one of them even though he is a mid and still hasn't played a senior game in 2 years where as you are worried about a KPP who has already played senior footy after one year. If you don't see why I mentioned both that is your problem. And is Jansen an unrealised talent because he hasn't been going good enough to play yet in 2 years of footy? Or is McCartin disappointing because he has already played after one year but hasn't set the world on fire? And I haven't heard of him and we don't need seconds inside mids. Should I lie even if I feel that way?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote:
I agree with your reasoning. The draft was shallow and he is no where near ready. I hope he does well but will insist we should have done better with a No 1 pick.. I never rated him and havent changed my mind just cause he wears our jumper. That is all.

I'm boring an illogical
Last edited by plugger66 on Tue 22 Sep 2015 7:29pm, edited 1 time in total.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Tools are useful.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
CQ SAINT wrote:

So you admit bias? You do realise the poster is bagging your posts? And you do realise only 2 players were rated one in the draft and the other hasn't played a game. You are probably the type who will say later on when pick 50 is the best player in the draft that we should have got him. How about you give us your hindsight pick one now and I will find out how many draft experts had that player at pick one.
The poster has valid points and is only pointing out that Paddy is not ready, had poor preparation for AFL, was placed under the pump by AR and injuries and those things make me question why we chose him.

stjay
Club Player

CQ SAINT wrote:
So you wanted Petracca? At the time I did too, I thought he was the "best available talent".
The Boyd deal changed the footy landscape and that had to be factored in.
If we had taken Petracca we would still be looking for a KPF, this time with pick 5.
Time will tell but my guess is Paddy will be a very serviceable FF - may not have the out-n-out dominance like a Kennedy or Cloke but a dangerous, decent enough forward to give us a target.
In truth, that's about as much as you can ask for in a pick 1 - I know people wanted the next Judd or Plugger but I don't think that's a reasonable expectation.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
CQ SAINT wrote:

So you admit bias? You do realise the poster is bagging your posts? And you do realise only 2 players were rated one in the draft and the other hasn't played a game. You are probably the type who will say later on when pick 50 is the best player in the draft that we should have got him. How about you give us your hindsight pick one now and I will find out how many draft experts had that player at pick one.
The poster has valid points and is only pointing out that Paddy is not ready, had poor preparation for AFL, was placed under the pump by AR and injuries and those things make me question why we chose him.

Sorry I only read the part about I will bag him until he proves me wrong and then the poster said it was cynical and immature. And FFS cut the kid some slack. My mistake. Must have imagined that.

stjay
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
CQ SAINT wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
CQ SAINT wrote:

Sorry I only read the part about I will bag him until he proves me wrong and then the poster said it was cynical and immature. And FFS cut the kid some slack. My mistake. Must have imagined that.
Enough petty one-upmanship.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

McCartin was picked to be a top player over 10+ years. Nothing I saw this year tells me that won't happen.

Great hands
Natural footballer
2nd efforts
Good at ground level for a player of his size.

Looking forward to watching his career as a Saint.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
CQ SAINT wrote:Jansen and McCartin are 2 completely separate threads. In a childish attempt to cover up your if, but, maybe philosophies drawn straight from news media BS you have been able to link the 2 together to try and annoy me. You cant. Jansen is unrealised talent. Brisbane Lions (an AFL football club) look likely to take him. You and others wouldnt even look at him cause quote 'I never heard of him' and we 'dont need inside mids at all'. He is more than that and while proving it he got runner up best and fairest at a VFL club playing forward back and in the middle at 20 years of age and 192cm and 93kg. Fairly self explanatory. There was never a comparison between the 2 made by me. 2 completely different threads in which you have repeatedly made a tool of yourself in both.

Personal insults because you cant rasp my point. The point of mentioning those 2 in the same post is you are wrapped with progress of one of them even though he is a mid and still hasn't played a senior game in 2 years where as you are worried about a KPP who has already played senior footy after one year. If you don't see why I mentioned both that is your problem. And is Jansen an unrealised talent because he hasn't been going good enough to play yet in 2 years of footy? Or is McCartin disappointing because he has already played after one year but hasn't set the world on fire? And I haven't heard of him and we don't need seconds inside mids. Should I lie even if I feel that way?
If i must i will say the 2 are similar sizes and one year apart in age. Even though you werent aware of Hansen he has proven himself worthy of a 36 draft pick. If McCartin can win B&F at Sandy or kick 30 goals at AFL level next year I will be proven wrong and sing his praises very humbly.

All you are convincing me of is that Geelong picked and handled their player better. I am suggesting we could have capitalised on that but it looks like the BL will.

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Plugger66 do you have any idea how petty and boring you sound? You make the same points over and over and fall back on the same old insults - illogical, school aged, know nothing about footy. This thread is just one of several where you do this. How about you have your opinion. Let others have their own opinion. And stop boring everyone with your never ending argumentative destruction of any opinion that counters yours? Neither of you are RIGHT because they are just opinions!!!

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:McCartin was picked to be a top player over 10+ years. Nothing I saw this year tells me that won't happen.

Great hands
Natural footballer
2nd efforts

Fair enough but when are no1 picks not picked as 10 year players. That is code for we are taking a big risk, please be patient and understanding.

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:McCartin was picked to be a top player over 10+ years. Nothing I saw this year tells me that won't happen.

Great hands
Natural footballer
2nd efforts

Totally agree.

Plus great attitude and work ethic.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"