Why Paddy_ Emma Quayle Book- exerpt

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Why Paddy_ Emma Quayle Book- exerpt

CQ SAINT wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
CQ SAINT wrote:Jansen and McCartin are 2 completely separate threads. In a childish attempt to cover up your if, but, maybe philosophies drawn straight from news media BS you have been able to link the 2 together to try and annoy me. You cant. Jansen is unrealised talent. Brisbane Lions (an AFL football club) look likely to take him. You and others wouldnt even look at him cause quote 'I never heard of him' and we 'dont need inside mids at all'. He is more than that and while proving it he got runner up best and fairest at a VFL club playing forward back and in the middle at 20 years of age and 192cm and 93kg. Fairly self explanatory. There was never a comparison between the 2 made by me. 2 completely different threads in which you have repeatedly made a tool of yourself in both.

Personal insults because you cant rasp my point. The point of mentioning those 2 in the same post is you are wrapped with progress of one of them even though he is a mid and still hasn't played a senior game in 2 years where as you are worried about a KPP who has already played senior footy after one year. If you don't see why I mentioned both that is your problem. And is Jansen an unrealised talent because he hasn't been going good enough to play yet in 2 years of footy? Or is McCartin disappointing because he has already played after one year but hasn't set the world on fire? And I haven't heard of him and we don't need seconds inside mids. Should I lie even if I feel that way?
If i must i will say the 2 are similar sizes and one year apart in age. Even though you werent aware of Hansen he has proven himself worthy of a 36 draft pick. If McCartin can win B&F at Sandy or kick 30 goals at AFL level next year I will be proven wrong and sing his praises very humbly.

All you are convincing me of is that Geelong picked and handled their player better. I am suggesting we could have capitalised on that but it looks like the BL will.
I'm boring an illogical.
Last edited by plugger66 on Tue 22 Sep 2015 7:28pm, edited 1 time in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote:Plugger66 do you have any idea how petty and boring you sound? You make the same points over and over and fall back on the same old insults - illogical, school aged, know nothing about footy. This thread is just one of several where you do this. How about you have your opinion. Let others have their own opinion. And stop boring everyone with your never ending argumentative destruction of any opinion that counters yours? Neither of you are RIGHT because they are just opinions!!!

So you choose to have a go at me and not the other poster. You also bore me with warnings that others don't get for breaking of the rules. It takes 2 to engage. Surely you understand that. I reckon I haven't insulted at all. Certainly not before the other person.

I expect another warning. Put me on ignore. The other mods do a much better job and they can warn me if I deserve it. At least they aren't biased like this post proves of you. Now run away. You are boring and illogical. I'm sure I can say that as you just said it to me.

And sorry for sticking up for our player. I get your point. Much better to say he isn't any good because that isn't against the rules but call someone a moron or their previous nic and the warnings come thick and fast. Well they do for some.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Plugger, just in case you think it's only backfromusa who thinks you're being boring and petty on this and many threads, that's not true at all.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:Plugger, just in case you think it's only backfromusa who thinks you're being boring and petty on this and many threads, that's not true at all.

Ok I will take what you say on board. I have no interest at all with what the other guy says. By the way I still don't get why I'm the only one on here who is boring. And I hope this hasn't come from the other guy. I will trust its from you. I may take a little rest. Wont post for 2 minutes.

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
BackFromUSA wrote:Plugger66 do you have any idea how petty and boring you sound? You make the same points over and over and fall back on the same old insults - illogical, school aged, know nothing about footy. This thread is just one of several where you do this. How about you have your opinion. Let others have their own opinion. And stop boring everyone with your never ending argumentative destruction of any opinion that counters yours? Neither of you are RIGHT because they are just opinions!!!

So you choose to have a go at me and not the other poster. You also bore me with warnings that others don't get for breaking of the rules. It takes 2 to engage. Surely you understand that. I reckon I haven't insulted at all. Certainly not before the other person.

I expect another warning. Put me on ignore. The other mods do a much better job and they can warn me if I deserve it. At least they aren't biased like this post proves of you. Now run away. You are boring and illogical. I'm sure I can say that as you just said it to me.

And sorry for sticking up for our player. I get your point. Much better to say he isn't any good because that isn't against the rules but call someone a moron or their previous nic and the warnings come thick and fast. Well they do for some.
I have read this interaction and your other interactions with CQ (just as an example) and it is you that starts the arguments and you that belittles the other poster. You are actually suffering from some type of issue and I fear for what will happen when you are banned from here because I am actually sick of you and your posting and I am not being biased - you are just the one breaching rules and completely ruining this forum. 50000 posts and most of them are arguing with someone. Including me.

I have given you multiple chances to change your ways.

Others get warned multiple times and actually try to change.

I am sick of dealing with you.

I have a choice. As administrator here I can decide to delete you permanently based on many of your past 50 posts alone as they breach the rule regarding ongoing conflict.

This forum will be better without you IMHO.

The mods life will be easier without you.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Nice

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Bye all. It's been fun

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Plugger66

Warnings and even the previous 2 bans have not worked.

The quickest way to end this is for me to enforce this rule given that the vast majority of posts are arguing with posters which mostly builds in ferocity and is repetitive and boring and disrupts this community by deliberately causing friction and anger.

TROLL POLICY

“Trolls” are defined as posters who have the only goal to create friction and anger in our community.

Any poster, who has the sole aim to create friction and anger in our community may be eligible for an official Saintsational warning / a one month ban, or account deletion by the administrators.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

well you have been a s*** stirrer Plug..that aint a bad thing..I would like to make an appeal on your behalf.

Dear mods,
Please reconsider banishing this recalcitrant , my reasons are as the following,
check his post count..this forum obviously plays a major role in his life , do you want to take full responsibility of what may occur if this is taken away ?

Despite his antagonistic approach to debate he actually does create some healthy football discussion the only glaring setback is his inability to admit that he is wrong...doing the latter only when confronted with facts and no other hope remains.

Maybe the mods could put this to a vote ? Democracy ?

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Geez. I dont really wanna see him banned either. He is childish and irrational but not offensive. No harm done on my behalf.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote:
kosifantutti wrote:McCartin was picked to be a top player over 10+ years. Nothing I saw this year tells me that won't happen.

Great hands
Natural footballer
2nd efforts
Good at ground level for a player of his size.

Looking forward to watching his career as a Saint.
Totally agree.

Plus great attitude and work ethic.
We must be watching different footballers.

Great hands?? Nope. Dropped many marks he got his hands on.
Natural footballer - Tick. He actually moved to the right spots many times.
2nd efforts - sorry but they were pretty non existent as far as I was concerned
Good at ground level for a player of his size???? - He's not good at ground level yet. In fact a real question mark over his agility afaic
Great attitude and work ethic? - Wouldn't know myself, but all the coaches say the right thing about him so I will assume this is the case. If so this will be the thing that will turn it all around for him.

For the record I've never had a problem with P66. He likes being right, but who doesn't? He knows his footy and enjoys an argument, particularly if the person backs it up with facts or logical reasoning. Not sure what the problem is here.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote:Plugger66

Warnings and even the previous 2 bans have not worked.

The quickest way to end this is for me to enforce this rule given that the vast majority of posts are arguing with posters which mostly builds in ferocity and is repetitive and boring and disrupts this community by deliberately causing friction and anger.

TROLL POLICY

“Trolls” are defined as posters who have the only goal to create friction and anger in our community.

Any poster, who has the sole aim to create friction and anger in our community may be eligible for an official Saintsational warning / a one month ban, or account deletion by the administrators.
Pendantic and polemic Plugger may be, but there is no way, by that or any other definition that he is a troll.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

The site will be better withot P66. What a joke.This site is a joke. Question. Who's been in charge while this place has disintegrated.

A little bit more of the book which I haven't seen on here before?

This is an extract from Emma Quayle's recently published book The Draftees. It details the journeys of five 2015 Draft aspirants and delves into the inner sanctum of St Kilda's selection process. You can purchase the book HERE.

Paddy McCartin loved to throw himself around but had had a disrupted championships. Back from a finger injury in time for the first game, he had strained a quad muscle in the next one then come back in for the final two rounds, played just five days apart. He’d had some good moments, said Elshaug, without completely nailing a game like he had as a seventeen-year-old, when he had kicked five goals and (accidentally) broken the collarbone of West Australian midfielder Dom Sheed while diving for a low ball.

‘He was starved for opportunity when he came back in and he’s had some interruptions, but he’s a natural forward. He attacks the ball, he’s aggressive and he kicks goals. He needs to improve his body shape and conditioning; he’s had diabetes since he was nine years old but he has that under control and everyone we’ve spoken to says he’ll be fine with it. His skinfolds are in the 70s and he’ll need to get those down but he’ll chase and tackle. He knows where to lead, where the space is. If someone’s in his road he’ll take them out and he’ll play for his team. He’s a down-to-earth kid, a really natural kid.’

‘How tall is he? Would he be 193?’ asked Richardson.

‘Yep. Maybe a touch bigger. He’s powerful. He attacks the ball. And 2.99 is his best sprint time, which is good. He’s the sort of kid who’s loved by all. He holds court and people rally around him.’

‘So is he a team forward or a selfish forward?’ ‘Team,’ said all three recruiters, at once.

‘He’ll pass it off, he’ll give it off. He’s a total team player,’ said Elshaug. ‘I watched him in a school game where he was ignored when he should have been hit up, but the kid kicked the goal and he went up to congratulate him. That’s one of his better traits.’

‘Does he defend?’ asked Richardson.

‘After a marking contest he’ll recover and he’ll tackle, and they’re big, powerful tackles,’ said Liberatore. ‘He’s not as natural a chaser as some of the others yet, but he wants to lay tackles.’

‘He’s up and about, he wants to be involved,’ Elshaug said. ‘He’s the sort of kid who will train at Geelong Grammar then go down to the Falcons as well, even if he doesn’t have to.’

‘Is he prepared to do the work? You’re convinced?’ asked Chris. ‘Yes. Absolutely convinced,’ said Elshaug. ‘And he’s got three or four months to get himself into better shape. We do want to see some results, I think that’s fair to say. We’ve told him that.’

‘Does his body shape actually worry you?’ asked Richardson.

‘No. He has the right intentions,’ said Elshaug. ‘It’s more like,
“OK, he has diabetes, so what does that mean for him and who can we talk to to understand what sort of an impact that’s going to have?”’

‘That’s the medical side, and we accept that,’ said Pelchen. ‘But is he doing everything he possibly can?’

‘He needs to improve his conditioning,’ said Elshaug. ‘But they all have something. You’ve got Petracca who’s got to keep his feet on the ground; Wright, we’d like to be more aggressive; McCartin needs to tone up a bit more. They’ve all got their little issues.’

‘He looks competitive and he looks like he loves the game,’ said Richardson. ‘Does he have the desire? The drive?'

‘He has it,’ said Elshaug. ‘No question.’

‘He looks like he’s a pretty special player, on the very little I’ve seen,’ said Richardson.

‘If he could get to 195 centimetres it would be ideal,’ said Pelchen.

‘He’s grown about half a centimetre this year. But he marks the ball high. With his reach and his timing, it’s like he’s closer to 195,’ said Elshaug.

‘How’s his kick? If he has ten shots, how many does he kick?’ asked Pelchen.

‘He kicked 6.4 the other week,’ said Elshaug. ‘Last year it was a bit inconsistent, but he’s worked on it.’

‘His timing on the lead is really, really good,’ said Richardson. ‘He’s so balanced. You’d want to kick it to him.’

‘The only thing I want to be convinced of is that he won’t leave any stone unturned to be the best he can be,’ said Pelchen.

‘We’ve never questioned that,’ said Ameet Bains. ‘His family is very grounded, he’s driven, he has a lot of support behind him, he’s immensely likeable. He’s selfless.’

‘I’d agree with all that,’ said Liberatore. ‘He had the finger injury when he went to Europe, so all he could do was the running. Paddy and Sam Durdin ran laps together and they didn’t need a coach there telling them what to do – they just went and did it and pushed each other along. I think he’s going to do whatever he needs to.’

summertime and the living is easy ........
ace
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:The most important part of the article is, fundamentally, they thought Paddy was the best player in the draft.
All the other stuff is great insight, and will hold Paddy & the club in good shape, but that one aspect is the only non negotiable.
What I thought most important was that they dismissed type one diabetes.
They concluded that in a well controlled blood sugar and insulin injection environment the condition was no impediment to elite performance.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

It's a really fascinating insight into the nitty-gritty of drafting and particularly interesting as it is our Big Mac all beef Paddy. And it just shows those who say its the official recruiters just making the decision are plain wrong. It's a total team effort from coach, to list management, to CEO, to salary cap considerations, to fitness and sports science staff. There are so many factors at play. Why wouldn't you make use you all the knowledge at a clubs disposal?

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Just working my way through this book as Holiday reading and The Saints are about a third of the book from Front page to back page as it chronicles the year of our recruiters.

Worth a look for anyone interested in the nuts and bolts -and there are dozens of them- of making selections and team development

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
ripplug66
Club Player

Bluthy wrote:It's a really fascinating insight into the nitty-gritty of drafting and particularly interesting as it is our Big Mac all beef Paddy. And it just shows those who say its the official recruiters just making the decision are plain wrong. It's a total team effort from coach, to list management, to CEO, to salary cap considerations, to fitness and sports science staff. There are so many factors at play. Why wouldn't you make use you all the knowledge at a clubs disposal?

Who has said that in the past? I doubt their are any salary cap considerations for drafting young kids and I doubt the CEO has any say at all on young kids. Some of the others would back when it comes down to the pick it is the recruiters who know the players. To think otherwise would suggests they aren't doing their job properly.
Last edited by ripplug66 on Fri 01 Jan 2016 8:49am, edited 1 time in total.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

‘He needs to improve his conditioning,’ said Elshaug. ‘But they all have something. You’ve got Petracca who’s got to keep his feet on the ground; Wright, we’d like to be more aggressive; McCartin needs to tone up a bit more. They’ve all got their little issues.’

Sounds like Petracca has a high opinion of himself, according to Elshaug (I'm assuming Elshaugh was speaking metaphorically here about "feet on the ground").
Is that a bad thing?
A prospect who kicks more goals as a midfielder/half forward than the highly touted key forward prospects, while averaging 25 possessions, should be thinking highly of himself, I would think - and maybe there's a reason why the other draftees are humble (by comparison)?

A duly arrogant prospect over a duly humble one - which one would/should you choose?

I'm sure there's plenty of upside with Mccartin - but Petracca may have less upside for a reason?
We'll only find out after the fact - it's all speculative at this stage, of course. Who knows how they'll adapt and develop.

I'm just querying Elshaug's remark, that's all - and his way of thinking - it might be limiting our chances of picking up a great player.

loris
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:‘He needs to improve his conditioning,’ said Elshaug. ‘But they all have something. You’ve got Petracca who’s got to keep his feet on the ground; Wright, we’d like to be more aggressive; McCartin needs to tone up a bit more. They’ve all got their little issues.’

Sounds like Petracca has a high opinion of himself, according to Elshaug (I'm assuming Elshaugh was speaking metaphorically here about "feet on the ground").
Is that a bad thing?
A prospect who kicks more goals as a midfielder/half forward than the highly touted key forward prospects, while averaging 25 possessions, should be thinking highly of himself, I would think - and maybe there's a reason why the other draftees are humble (by comparison)?

A duly arrogant prospect over a duly humble one - which one would/should you choose?

I'm sure there's plenty of upside with Mccartin - but Petracca may have less upside for a reason?
We'll only find out after the fact - it's all speculative at this stage, of course. Who knows how they'll adapt and develop.

I'm just querying Elshaug's remark, that's all - and his way of thinking - it might be limiting our chances of picking up a great player.
I note Petracca has injured himself again. Broke his toe playing basketball........... set back in his rehab by another month at least. Reading the report on the afl.com site. Roos doesn't sound impressed & hopes Petracca will learn from this. I assume he wasn't supposed to be playing basketball only concentrating on his rehab.
Petracca may just think he his a leader of the band before he has even started??????

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:
samoht wrote:‘He needs to improve his conditioning,’ said Elshaug. ‘But they all have something. You’ve got Petracca who’s got to keep his feet on the ground; Wright, we’d like to be more aggressive; McCartin needs to tone up a bit more. They’ve all got their little issues.’

Is that a bad thing?

I note Petracca has injured himself again. Broke his toe playing basketball........... set back in his rehab by another month at least. Reading the report on the afl.com site. Roos doesn't sound impressed & hopes Petracca will learn from this. I assume he wasn't supposed to be playing basketball only concentrating on his rehab.
Petracca may just think he his a leader of the band before he has even started??????
Certainly hasn't started off with a bang

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Re dangerous activities, which of you check player instagrams many do slightly dangerous things- including Fyffe on a hoverboard

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
ripplug66
Club Player

saintbrat wrote:Re dangerous activities, which of you check player instagrams many do slightly dangerous things- including Fyffe on a hoverboard

Exactly. They have to live a little.

FQF
SS Life Member

I have a strong feeling that the 'feet on the ground' comment re Petracca has been edited. If the recruiters said an overtly negative comment about any player, which they surely do, it would never go into a book. Presumably something more explicit was said and it was replaced with a cryptic, impossible to confidently decipher, comment.

Maybe it means he is arrogant, maybe it means he's a party boy, maybe it means he doesn't keep his feet in the contest?

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:I have a strong feeling that the 'feet on the ground' comment re Petracca has been edited. If the recruiters said an overtly negative comment about any player, which they surely do, it would never go into a book. Presumably something more explicit was said and it was replaced with a cryptic, impossible to confidently decipher, comment.

Maybe it means he is arrogant, maybe it means he's a party boy, maybe it means he doesn't keep his feet in the contest?
A mate of mine has watched quite a few ACC Whitefriars games and he didn't reckon Petracca was head and shoulders above everyone else. When I asked him to elaborate he reckons he never saw him dominate school footy. Maybe McCartin is the better footballer.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!