2015 - Draft & Trade Thread

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SinCitySainter
Club Player

Re: 2015 - Draft & Trade Thread

I don't like us chasing interstate players the go home factor in the last few years has been too strong.
Dunstan seems to be OK but Cripps hurt and there are plenty of examples at other clubs.

Playon
Club Player

Temptations

With Aish possibly going into the PSD, it has perhaps put a spanner in the works for Carlton with Carlisle.
Carlton would be salivating of picking him up for free.

This puts the question of Freeman, offer pick 3 or he can also go to the PSD
He'll get past Carlton, then he has to get past the rest

Would we be tempted to go down this path?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

SinCitySainter wrote:I don't like us chasing interstate players the go home factor in the last few years has been too strong.
Dunstan seems to be OK but Cripps hurt and there are plenty of examples at other clubs.
Sorry but we will never win a flag with that kind of provincial mentality. Its a national comp and we need national talent. Create a good environment and people will stay.

Hawks
Cyril - NT
Burgoyne - NT
Smith - NSW
Breust - NSW
Hale - QLD
Lake - SA
Puopolo - SA
Shoenmakers - SA
Stratton - WA
Suckling - NSW

Eagles
Shuey - Vic
Gaff - Vic
Ellis - Vic
Hurn (c) - SA
Rosa - Vic
Schofield - Vic
Butler - SA

If you cant keep talent you dont deserve to win a flag.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Playon wrote:Temptations

With Aish possibly going into the PSD, it has perhaps put a spanner in the works for Carlton with Carlisle.
Carlton would be salivating of picking him up for free.

This puts the question of Freeman, offer pick 3 or he can also go to the PSD
He'll get past Carlton, then he has to get past the rest

Would we be tempted to go down this path?
Hasnt Aish's Mgr said there is no chance at all he will go in the draft?

Playon
Club Player

Leigh Mathews has said that if Aish doesn't sign I guarantee there will be no trades, he can go to the PSD

Playon
Club Player

From Brianspeaking at BF

"We are not trading pick 5.

Carlisle agreed to play with us two weeks ago, as I and my other profiles posted.

Ross won't go anywhere.

Hickey MAY be traded if it's an early teen pick with Dogs sending their first, Hrovat and a swap of later picks back. Personally I wouldn't deal with them, they are in our window.

We are in the mix for another really good player, more will come out Monday week."

jaxons any further news here? :)

matrix
Saintsational Legend

Someone told me today aish has said he wants to go to the pies?

Anyone heard this as gospel or a source?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Playon wrote:Leigh Mathews has said that if Aish doesn't sign I guarantee there will be no trades, he can go to the PSD
Sounds odd. I think Aish will be at Brisbane, Pies, Tiges or Hawks.
If he goes in the PSD he could end up at Carlton, GC or back at Brisbane. Seems risky. Not sure what Matthews means? Playing hard ball always backfires. Lions are crazy if they let him go for nothing. I heard his Mgr was saying under no circumstances will he go into any draft. Lions should just get a top 15 pick for him. They need the points (Hipwood/Keays).
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Fri 02 Oct 2015 9:25pm, edited 1 time in total.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Playon wrote:From Brianspeaking at BF

Carlisle agreed to play with us two weeks ago, as I and my other profiles posted.

Ross won't go anywhere.

Hickey MAY be traded if it's an early teen pick with Dogs sending their first, Hrovat and a swap of later picks back. Personally I wouldn't deal with them, they are in our window.

We are in the mix for another really good player, more will come out Monday week."

Interesting. Very interesting. I dont understand the logic for not trading with the Dogs because they are 'in our window''? Surely we assess each trade on its own merits. I mean if they offer pick 10 for Ray would you take it? Of course you would.
I believe BS when he says Ross isnt going anywhere. Coach seems to be in love with Ross and we are desperate for clearance players.

if the Dogs truly offer us pick 10 for Hickey - I think we have to take that. I dont think we can refuse. We can get a seriously good midfielder at pick 10.

ripplug66
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:

Ross won't go anywhere.

Interesting. Very interesting. I dont understand the logic for not trading with the Dogs because they are 'in our window''? Surely we assess each trade on its own merits. I mean if they offer pick 10 for Ray would you take it? Of course you would.
I believe BS when he says Ross isnt going anywhere. Coach seems to be in love with Ross and we are desperate for clearance players.

if the Dogs truly offer us pick 10 for Hickey - I think we have to take that. I dont think we can refuse. We can get a seriously good midfielder at pick 10.
Exactly but unfortunately no one is going to offer pick 10 or close to it for Hickey. We really need to be fair dinkum with what we think we will get otherwise people claim we are no good at trading. Hickey is at best a 15 to 20 pick and that's probably to high. As far as trading with clubs luckily the club wont give a rats who they trade with as long as they think they are getting the best deal.

Playon
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Playon wrote:Leigh Mathews has said that if Aish doesn't sign I guarantee there will be no trades, he can go to the PSD
If he goes in the PSD he could end up at Carlton, GC or back at Brisbane. Seems risky. Not sure what Matthews means? Playing hard ball always backfires. Lions are crazy if they let him go for nothing. I heard his Mgr was saying under no circumstances will he go into any draft. Lions should just get a top 15 pick for him. They need the points (Hipwood/Keays).
From the AFL site
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-09-30/r ... um-to-aish
Lions sick of loosing their draftees

Who knows could be a ploy to get him to sign or to get what he's worth

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Playon wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
From the AFL site
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-09-30/r ... um-to-aish
Lions sick of loosing their draftees

Who knows could be a ploy to get him to sign or to get what he's worth
Seems crazy when they need draft points for Keays and Hipwood and also want to use pick 2 on Schache.
IMO they should try and get a top 15 pick for Aish (Tigers?) and move on. If they end up with Schache, Tom Bell, Keays and Hipwood they are going more than ok.

evo
Club Player

Bird could be the word.,

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

evo wrote:Bird could be the word.,
what you talking bout Willis?

Playon
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:

if the Dogs truly offer us pick 10 for Hickey - I think we have to take that. I don't think we can refuse. We can get a seriously good midfielder at pick 10.
I think BS meant that the club would deal with the Doggies but he personally wouldn't. So if the offer was there and Hickey was happy to go. it'd be a done deal.
Rumor 3 clubs have inquired about him.

But I believe the trade may go towards paying off Carlisle and possibly Freeman which again depends on whats on offer and again if its true.
We have to pay for them somehow, its a big MIGHT happen

Then there's who's the other really good player in the mix?
Also Rice father/son
We have to take 3 draft picks (pick 5, Rice and upgrade sinclair?)
How will we be for spots on our list?

Just when you think were getting there, there's more

evo
Club Player

ROLS-LEE wrote:
Sidney told me..

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

So with Bailey RIce, if someone nominates him then we just need to have the points with the 20% discount?
So for instance if someone nominates him at pick 30, then we will need 503 points or pick 36 to get it done.

Speaking of this, if we do keep pick 5 we should definitely nominate Mills or Hopper if they havent already been nominated. At least make sure the Swans/GWS pay proper value for them.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

evo wrote:
ROLS-LEE wrote:
Sidney told me..
Craig Bird yuck

gringo
Saintsational Legend

ripplug66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

Ross won't go anywhere.

Exactly but unfortunately no one is going to offer pick 10 or close to it for Hickey. We really need to be fair dinkum with what we think we will get otherwise people claim we are no good at trading. Hickey is at best a 15 to 20 pick and that's probably to high. As far as trading with clubs luckily the club wont give a rats who they trade with as long as they think they are getting the best deal.

We paid pick 13 for him, I don't think that's beyond his price now. If the medical staff think he's okay I can't see any reason he wouldn't be worth a pick around that. I think 10 could be a possibility but we would need to do some swap backs in the later picks probably. The most likely is a straight swap for Carlisle though you would reckon. I personally would like to keep Hickey even if he doesn't play every week. He is going to be a very good player just at the time we are challenging again and rucks have the most injury prone bodies.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
evo wrote:
ROLS-LEE wrote:
Sidney told me..
Craig Bird yuck

With Schnides leaving they must need a stocky heavy drinking ex sydney sider in the team. Seriously though he's not got any improvement in him but he's a hard bodied senior player with a bit more midfield grunt than guys like Farren who is more a wing man. He's probably a like for like Schnieder replacement.

ripplug66
Club Player

gringo wrote:
ripplug66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

Ross won't go anywhere.

We paid pick 13 for him, I don't think that's beyond his price now. If the medical staff think he's okay I can't see any reason he wouldn't be worth a pick around that. I think 10 could be a possibility but we would need to do some swap backs in the later picks probably. The most likely is a straight swap for Carlisle though you would reckon. I personally would like to keep Hickey even if he doesn't play every week. He is going to be a very good player just at the time we are challenging again and rucks have the most injury prone bodies.

Its funny but when people tried to justify the trade they also mentioned the other picks we got but now its him on his own when trying to justify getting the same back as we paid. Lets face it we paid overs. He has done about what you would expect but because I think we paid overs plus the fact he spent half the year in the seconds I cant see how we get about pick 13 for him again. If Essendon wanted him we would also have to add something. Compare the records of both players and you will see that. Anyway if it was me I would be pushing Longer to go and keeping Hickey who I think is much more versatile.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Have to say I'm with you on that, ripplug66. I get the feeling Longer might be used as part of the Carlisle deal, if it goes ahead. I also think Hickey has more upside and is more versatile, IMHO.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
ripplug66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

Ross won't go anywhere.

It doesn't matter what we paid for him in terms of what we would get now. But he wasn't traded for Pick 13. It was Hickey 25 and 46 for 13, 36 and 55 which would put him around 22 based on the points tables.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
SinCitySainter
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:
SinCitySainter wrote:I don't like us chasing interstate players the go home factor in the last few years has been too strong.
Sorry but we will never win a flag with that kind of provincial mentality. Its a national comp and we need national talent. Create a good environment and people will stay.

Hawks
Cyril - NT
Burgoyne - NT
Smith - NSW
Breust - NSW
Hale - QLD
Lake - SA
Puopolo - SA
Shoenmakers - SA
Stratton - WA
Suckling - NSW

Eagles
Shuey - Vic
Gaff - Vic
Ellis - Vic
Hurn (c) - SA
Rosa - Vic
Schofield - Vic
Butler - SA

If you cant keep talent you dont deserve to win a flag.
I agree to a point and it is not provincial thinking it is pragmatic unless you are talking about the absolute pointy end of the draft you are better off selecting Victorians or Tasmanians.
You can convince them to stay but sometimes things happen and players want to go home. Look at Beams, Collingwood would back themselves in to retain players but somethings are more important than football.
I am not saying don't select players from other states but if there is a similar Vic, go the Vic and lower the risk.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Hickey

Wasn't he at Sandy for over half the season, behind a 22yo who was averaging 8ppg.

I watched a lot of those games, he was played as a second ruck at Sandy, behind an American... Coming off the bench before he was eventually tried as a fwd... Not sure he played many good ones in the VFL

He played 2 good games in the AFL (as a fwd) and some very poor ones

He was 24 this season and really struggled to perform consistently well enough for selection

Got good hands, good inside vision, moves around the ground ok and finds the ball, can be clever

But

Is not strong in the contest (light frame), is slow off the mark, a poor kick and is more of a link ruckman than contested stoppage ruckman (which clubs want)

Why would he be worth a first round pick when he cannot get a game in the 5th bottom team?
Peoples overrating of Hickey is staggering
He shows glimpses but AR clearly doesn't rate his ruck work.... Hence trying him as a tall fwd