Jake Carlisle

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: Jake Carlisle

Sainternist wrote:The outcome of whether or not we get Carlisle is going to be interesting. He's not worth our pick 5. If Carlton are prepared to give them more than he's worth, they can have him.
We are def offering more cash. But cant Carlton get him for nothing in the psd?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
Playon wrote:That pretty much sums up BF
No it sums up the Essendon board.

the Saints board makes this place look like facebook with its ignorance, especially when it comes to D&T

I find the saints board at big footy extremely boring, but each to their own.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

ripplug66 wrote:
bigred wrote:
Devilhead wrote:
The Recruit wrote:
bigred wrote:IF that is the deal, then it is damn near franchise player numbers.

He would NEED to be playing at AA standard for that. And really, there would have to be substantial performance based conditions surely.

I really hope this works out. I have some serious reservations about this bloke.

Reservations based on....?
He is a sook, immature, inconsistent and not the smartest peanut in the turd

He has form ...... but hold on ........ he plays for Essendope i hear some people saying ........ true but it still doesnt stop me having reservations about his character and mental fortitude

We need stand up players, players that fight tooth and nail when the chips are down, players that rise to the occasion and make their teamates stand taller and go harder ...... not players who will act like petulant school brats and melt during times of adversity and hardship

Yes I have reservations as it is a hell of a lot of money to be paying someone with suspect mental application
Yeah that's pretty much what I'm thinking.

Plus Essendon can go flower themselves.

If we don't rate him then don't get him but hopefully the club wont a decision based on its Essendon. Hasn't hurt Port Adelaide or the Dogs. Apart from saying one thing when he was at Essendon a lot that has been written seems to just be made up crap. Ive never even heard the guy speak.
Dumber than dog s*** i'm told.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:
ripplug66 wrote:
bigred wrote:
Devilhead wrote:
The Recruit wrote:
bigred wrote:IF that is the deal, then it is damn near franchise player numbers.

He would NEED to be playing at AA standard for that. And really, there would have to be substantial performance based conditions surely.

I really hope this works out. I have some serious reservations about this bloke.

Reservations based on....?
He is a sook, immature, inconsistent and not the smartest peanut in the turd

He has form ...... but hold on ........ he plays for Essendope i hear some people saying ........ true but it still doesnt stop me having reservations about his character and mental fortitude

We need stand up players, players that fight tooth and nail when the chips are down, players that rise to the occasion and make their teamates stand taller and go harder ...... not players who will act like petulant school brats and melt during times of adversity and hardship

Yes I have reservations as it is a hell of a lot of money to be paying someone with suspect mental application
Yeah that's pretty much what I'm thinking.

Plus Essendon can go flower themselves.

If we don't rate him then don't get him but hopefully the club wont a decision based on its Essendon. Hasn't hurt Port Adelaide or the Dogs. Apart from saying one thing when he was at Essendon a lot that has been written seems to just be made up crap. Ive never even heard the guy speak.
Dumber than dog s*** i'm told.
Maybe he can't count.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Sainternist wrote:The outcome of whether or not we get Carlisle is going to be interesting. He's not worth our pick 5. If Carlton are prepared to give them more than he's worth, they can have him.
We are def offering more cash. But cant Carlton get him for nothing in the psd?
Your two sentences are not connected.

If he goes into the PSD Carlisle will have to nominate contract terms in $$$ and duration.
This, if it of the scale rumoured in $$$ and years, may be more than Carlton can pay and so it could slide to the Saints as they still have to fit him in their salary cap and also in theory the Blues should be rebuilding from a base with very little young talent and so to pay what Carlisle is seeking is not a good fit with a rebuild strategy(but the Blues have been stuffing up for ages list wise).

In the PSD yes he costs the club that selects him zero.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
RavsterII
Club Player

7 News has reported that carlton has cooled on carlisle as they look to the draft more then trade ( not to mention bolton isn't keen on the money over long period that carlisle is looking for)

Carlton offering: 500k for 3 years
St kilda offering:700k for 5 years

we are now in the box seat so I ask what do we trade for him ?

they have said Essendon are open to future draft picks but if we give them our first pick from next year its a risk, considering we are rebuilding.( some rebuilding clubs can go backward even if our list is heading in the right direction) due to putting game time into younger players plus veterans getting older and retiring .) this draft has been hailed as the 'draft with no depth"and parish will be likely gone by then with gold coast eyeing him at 3.

SinCitySainter
Club Player

I don't think we can get him. AR said that he wants to keep pick 5 for the draft.
I don't see that the dons would accept less than a first rounder unless we throw in a player and except for maybe Hickey who might they want that we would give up.

SinCitySainter
Club Player

Let's forget Carlilse and get Jack Watts and try to make him a CHB.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Be gone to the draft with him.

With price tag on his head.

If we pick him up, we pick him up.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
lefty
Club Player

RavsterII wrote:7 News has reported that carlton has cooled on carlisle as they look to the draft more then trade ( not to mention bolton isn't keen on the money over long period that carlisle is looking for)

they have said Essendon are open to future draft picks but if we give them our first pick from next year its a risk, considering we are rebuilding.( some rebuilding clubs can go backward even if our list is heading in the right direction) due to putting game time into younger players plus veterans getting older and retiring .) this draft has been hailed as the 'draft with no depth"and parish will be likely gone by then with gold coast eyeing him at 3.
WTF... $700K over 5 years is ridiculous.
How many brownlow votes did this dude get this year?

Gawd i'll be pissed off if we gave up pick 5.
5 years is way to long for a dude with a dodgy back, poor attitude, and asada over his head.
If he ends up on this deal, and doesn't perform, it will be a disaster and put this club behind.

If St.Kilda get screwed by Essendon again (after the Lovett **** up), I'll spit it.

WE NEED ANOTHER A+ MIDFIELDER.... there are good players at pick 5 ffs...

I still have NFI how he's a 700K player... ffs you think hawthorn would offer that s*** up?

No, because they are a 'team', not all about individuals...

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Devilhead wrote:
He is a sook, immature,
<snip>
...... not players who will act like petulant school brats and melt during times of adversity and hardship
<snip>
oh wait he plays for essendon
<snip>
Didnt we just get rid of someone who wanted similar money who had similar traits...to a similar club...?

StKilda is in the box seat - if he wants to come us, then great - otherwise 700k for 5 years is way too much money

Seeya
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

SinCitySainter wrote:Let's forget Carlilse and get Jack Watts and try to make him a CHB.

Post of the year.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

RavsterII wrote:7 News has reported that carlton has cooled on carlisle as they look to the draft more then trade ( not to mention bolton isn't keen on the money over long period that carlisle is looking for)

Offer him $575K for 4 years.

f*** him.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
bigred
Saintsational Legend

I think pick five is just out of the question.

I don't care if this trade doesn't happen to be honest.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
CarlD
Club Player

Why did Carlisle need a second medical? Back issues?

He didn't react well when his coach wanted him to play forward instead of back. Not convinced he gives his all on a consistent basis, even allowing some latitude for the Essendope years, and certainly not at the rumoured $700k pa but thankfully I'm not a recruiter.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

It looks like he's headed our way and I'm pleased, because he will fill a need we currently have and one that will only get greater in the short term, when Fischer and Dempster retire. I have a raised eyebrow over the monetary price we are paying and I just hope we don't spend pick 5 on him. That would make him a very expensive purchase in every way.

Having said that, there is a bigger issue at play here. That is, we need to land a relatively "big fish" in this trade period, both in order to make a statement to the rest of the competition, as well as showing potential recruits in the future, that the St.Kilda Football Club is a desireable destination. It's why the Bulldogs threw so much at Boyd last year. They needed his type, but they too, needed to send the message that they were ready to play with the "big boys" of the competition.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

lefty wrote:

WTF... $700K over 5 years is ridiculous.
How many brownlow votes did this dude get this year?

Gawd i'll be pissed off if we gave up pick 5.
5 years is way to long for a dude with a dodgy back, poor attitude, and asada over his head.
If he ends up on this deal, and doesn't perform, it will be a disaster and put this club behind.

If St.Kilda get screwed by Essendon again (after the Lovett **** up), I'll spit it.

WE NEED ANOTHER A+ MIDFIELDER.... there are good players at pick 5 ffs...

I still have NFI how he's a 700K player... ffs you think hawthorn would offer that s*** up?

No, because they are a 'team', not all about individuals...
One of the insiders said it's less than that. I'm pretty sure it will be extremely front loaded. We have a system where you can bank money from the salary cap but it must be spent inside a two year period. If we don't spend it it's gone. They will probably give him 1.4 mill in his first couple then taper it away. By the time his next contract comes around he will be too old to be
up for a big contact. Full backs never get Brownlows anyway, he like every other Bombers player fell away once the ASADA and WADA stuff that they thought was over exploded again. The potential is that he gets back to his best which was for a time just about the best big man in the comp for a period. I consider him the equivalent of a Brian Lake, big aggressive and competitive. We were prepared to give up two first round picks and a fortune to lure Brown from the WCEs. If he was worth that then Carlisle is a bargain.

Legendary
Club Player

Carlisle
Goddard
Longer/Hickey
Bruce
McCartin

All <25.

All capable of playing 150+ games for the Saints. Three blokes capable of kicking 5+ in a game.

Put that spine in place and we will be top 4 by 2018.

The Hawks paid big money for Gibson and traded their first and second round picks for Lake. KPD's are important.

He's worth pick #5 IMO.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

SinCitySainter wrote:Let's forget Carlilse and get Jack Watts and try to make him a CHB.
Jack Watts hasn't got a nasty bone in his body or should that be hard?

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

[quote="magnifisaint"][quote="SinCitySainter"]Let's forget Carlilse and get Jack Watts and try to make him a CHB.[/quote]
Jack Watts hasn't got a nasty bone in his body[/quote]

And Jack Watts has so soft he had a game off in the VFL during the year because he wanted to "enjoy" his footy.
Who did Melbourne play that week? Hawthorn.
Then back in the next week
So soft it's not funny

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

If we get carlisle then do we need gilbo? We'd have Carlisle Goddard fisher dempster roberton Webster Ray Delaney and maybe even lee as tallish backs - you might even throw acres and Mckenzie in there. I wonder if Gilbert's name is being floated as trade bait to facilate freeman and Carlisle trades and still have a decent pick for the draft

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:If we get carlisle then do we need gilbo? We'd have Carlisle Goddard fisher dempster roberton Webster Ray Delaney and maybe even lee as tallish backs - you might even throw acres and Mckenzie in there. I wonder if Gilbert's name is being floated as trade bait to facilate freeman and Carlisle trades and still have a decent pick for the draft
Well unless someone offers us something very attractive I would keep him.

When fit (which has been an if in recent seasons) Gilbert offers a lot that other players do not, and while his kicking can be hot and cold, he is at his best an elite footballer anda very good reader of the play.

Gilbo is not just a tallish back ( a role he plays very well).

He is quite quick and can run and break the lines which even with Freeman coming on board we still lack. Plus he is agreesive in the packs. Breaking the lines is not just pace either, it is having the knack of knowing when to do it (Peckett late in his career was very good at this despite not being quick) and Gilbo knows when to go, and where to go. Many players never "get" this aspect of football.

Gilbo can also :
* Play as a big mid - handy while we build our midfield
* Play wingish or be swung forward (almost won us a GF)

Gilbo is 29 and so IF his body is now right could well play another 4 or so seasons. So unless we are offered something good for him I would keep him.

I see the Saints as POSSIBLY having an "early" crack at a flag IF ALL GOES WELL with our younger players stepping up and this AND this and next years trades/FA going well where we make the most of our "goldern oldies" in say Roo, Joey and Gilbo (Probably not Fisher or Dempster). I think Joey could play on for many years at a high level, and that Roo as a "third forward" could be very damaging if his knee holds out.

If all does not progress quickly then it will take longer and be post our "golden oldies".

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Gilbo is 29 and so If his body is now right could well play another 4 or so seasons.
God I hope not. A proven fact that he is one of the worst kicks in the AFL.

But a bigger issue - if we have Carlisle, Goddard, Webster, Roberton as locks down back - it means only two of FIsher, Gilbert, Savage, Dempster, Geary, Delaney will get a game. How is this going to work?
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Wed 07 Oct 2015 3:17pm, edited 2 times in total.

FQF
SS Life Member

saintsRrising wrote:
Bluthy wrote:If we get carlisle then do we need gilbo? We'd have Carlisle Goddard fisher dempster roberton Webster Ray Delaney and maybe even lee as tallish backs - you might even throw acres and Mckenzie in there. I wonder if Gilbert's name is being floated as trade bait to facilate freeman and Carlisle trades and still have a decent pick for the draft
Well unless someone offers us something very attractive I would keep him.

When fit (which has been an if in recent seasons) Gilbert offers a lot that other players do not, and while his kicking can be hot and cold, he is at his best an elite footballer anda very good reader of the play.

Gilbo is not just a tallish back ( a role he plays very well).

He is quite quick and can run and break the lines which even with Freeman coming on board we still lack. Plus he is agreesive in the packs. Breaking the lines is not just pace either, it is having the knack of knowing when to do it (Peckett late in his career was very good at this despite not being quick) and Gilbo knows when to go, and where to go. Many players never "get" this aspect of football.

Gilbo can also :
* Play as a big mid - handy while we build our midfield
* Play wingish or be swung forward (almost won us a GF)

Gilbo is 29 and so IF his body is now right could well play another 4 or so seasons. So unless we are offered something good for him I would keep him.

I see the Saints as POSSIBLY having an "early" crack at a flag IF ALL GOES WELL with our younger players stepping up and this AND this and next years trades/FA going well where we make the most of our "goldern oldies" in say Roo, Joey and Gilbo (Probably not Fisher or Dempster). I think Joey could play on for many years at a high level, and that Roo as a "third forward" could be very damaging if his knee holds out.

If all does not progress quickly then it will take longer and be post our "golden oldies".
Very optimistic!

I agree we shouldn't trade Gilbo unless the offer is good value. I don't see him playing back at all next year, I got the feeling that Richo has moved on from that and will play him as a permanent winger/midfielder.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Gilbo is 29 and so If his body is now right could well play another 4 or so seasons.
God I hope not. A proven fact that he is one of the worst kicks in the AFL.

But a bigger issue - if we have Carlisle, Goddard, Webster, Roberton as locks down back - it means only two of FIsher, Gilbert, Savage, Dempster, Geary, Delaney will get a game. How is this going to work?
Simple- whoever is in the best form and consistently playing the best footy, gets the nod.