Ryan Clarke Pick 5

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Ryan Clarke Pick 5

OK so we dont know whether will keep pick 5 or lose it in the Carlisle trade. My preference is to keep it.
If we are looking for an athletic midfielder who can play inside and outside then I like the look of this kid.
Knightmare has him ahead of both Parish and Mathieson. He also finished 5th in the Morrish Medal.

Here is a video

Here is is what knightmare says:

7. Ryan Clarke (VIC – MID/FWD)
Height: 186cm, Weight: 84kg, DOB: 17/06/1997
Recruited from: Eastern Ranges
Reminds me of: Stephen Hill
Best position/role: Midfielder (outside leaning) who can rotate forward.Strengths: Pace/athleticism/endurance – Clarke is an excellent athlete overall. He runs a 3 second 20m sprint. Has excellent agility and excellent endurance with this evidenced by his 15+ beep test score, and you can really see out on the field how easily and quickly he covers the ground.
Pace/ability to take on the game – Clarke has excellent pace but even more critically excellent ability to use that pace in game. When he has the ball in hand and some space in front of him he can really provide meaningful run at speed with ball in hand.
Evasiveness – Clarke has some nice evasive moves to him and can dodge and weave tackles easily. He has excellent anticipation, and is quick on his feet, but also quick of mind. He can both in general play avoid would-be tacklers, and also at high speeds he also has the ability to turn or stop on a dime or change direction to avoid tacklers.
Footskills/vision/decision making – Clarke has a nice 55m kick on him and displays some real hurt factor by foot. He is an excellent kick in general play when running at full speed, he can hit his targets in general play and also out of stoppages has the ability to find and hit long targets up the field.
Scoreboard impact – Clarke has through the TAC Cup averaged more than a goal a game this season. He is an excellent finisher on goal and can kick goals from as far as 55m. He can kick highlight reel goals running through the centre and kicking long on the run from outside 50m or from the impossible positions, but then also convert from set shots.
Tackling pressure – Clarke provides excellent tackling pressure and some real tackling energy around the ball. He also is an excellent chase-down tackler and can provide some highlight-reel type tackles that can really lift the energy of his team.
Marking ability – Clarke is a strong, clean and capable mark overhead. He is more someone who will take marks in space on the outside or in the forward 50 uncontested.
Production – Clarke has achieved some excellent numbers through the TAC Cup this season. And it’s unusual for such a damaging player with his running ability to find several 30+ disposal games, and manage to average more than a goal a game.
Improvement – Also incredibly impressive with Clarke has been his rate of improvement. This year he has from round one come back to the TAC Cup a dominant footballer after having only played the one game early last season in which he was quiet, with his testing numbers also reported also a substantial step up from where he was at back in 2014. Questionmarks:Contested ball winning ability – Clarke is a good but not great contested ball winner. He is more at this stage a receiver who will get on the end of someone else’s hard work on the inside rather than be the guy who does the grunt work himself.
Summary:Clarke has the ability to be a 200 game player at the next level and provide meaningful run, production, class and hurt factor through a midfield. Clarke is good enough to receive some senior games in his first season but most likely in season two becomes a regular.

Gershwin
Club Player

Re: Ryan Clarke Pick 5

Con Gorozidis wrote:OK so we dont know whether will keep pick 5 or lose it in the Carlisle trade. My preference is to keep it.
If we are looking for an athletic midfielder who can play inside and outside then I like the look of this kid.
Knightmare has him ahead of both Parish and Mathieson. He also finished 5th in the Morrish Medal.

Here is a video

Here is is what knightmare says:

7. Ryan Clarke (VIC – MID/FWD)
Reminds me of: Stephen Hill
Best position/role: Midfielder (outside leaning) who can rotate forward.Strengths: Pace/athleticism/endurance – Clarke is an excellent athlete overall. He runs a 3 second 20m sprint. Has excellent agility and excellent endurance with this evidenced by his 15+ beep test score, and you can really see out on the field how easily and quickly he covers the ground.
Pace/ability to take on the game – Clarke has excellent pace but even more critically excellent ability to use that pace in game. When he has the ball in hand and some space in front of him he can really provide meaningful run at speed with ball in hand.
Evasiveness – Clarke has some nice evasive moves to him and can dodge and weave tackles easily. He has excellent anticipation, and is quick on his feet, but also quick of mind. He can both in general play avoid would-be tacklers, and also at high speeds he also has the ability to turn or stop on a dime or change direction to avoid tacklers.
Footskills/vision/decision making – Clarke has a nice 55m kick on him and displays some real hurt factor by foot. He is an excellent kick in general play when running at full speed, he can hit his targets in general play and also out of stoppages has the ability to find and hit long targets up the field.
Scoreboard impact – Clarke has through the TAC Cup averaged more than a goal a game this season. He is an excellent finisher on goal and can kick goals from as far as 55m. He can kick highlight reel goals running through the centre and kicking long on the run from outside 50m or from the impossible positions, but then also convert from set shots.
Tackling pressure – Clarke provides excellent tackling pressure and some real tackling energy around the ball. He also is an excellent chase-down tackler and can provide some highlight-reel type tackles that can really lift the energy of his team.
Marking ability – Clarke is a strong, clean and capable mark overhead. He is more someone who will take marks in space on the outside or in the forward 50 uncontested.
Production – Clarke has achieved some excellent numbers through the TAC Cup this season. And it’s unusual for such a damaging player with his running ability to find several 30+ disposal games, and manage to average more than a goal a game.
Improvement – Also incredibly impressive with Clarke has been his rate of improvement. This year he has from round one come back to the TAC Cup a dominant footballer after having only played the one game early last season in which he was quiet, with his testing numbers also reported also a substantial step up from where he was at back in 2014. Questionmarks:Contested ball winning ability – Clarke is a good but not great contested ball winner. He is more at this stage a receiver who will get on the end of someone else’s hard work on the inside rather than be the guy who does the grunt work himself.
Summary:Clarke has the ability to be a 200 game player at the next level and provide meaningful run, production, class and hurt factor through a midfield. Clarke is good enough to receive some senior games in his first season but most likely in season two becomes a regular.
Paige Cardonna has him at 22:
Ryan Clark
Draft Range: 10-30

A ferocious midfielder who runs hard and finds the ball with ease. His defensive pressure stacks up, his tackling is a highlight, and he’s the type of midfielder who’ll push into defence, and be good enough in his end-to-end running to follow the ball to the other end to present as an option. A legitimate big-bodied, goal kicking midfielder.

Personally I think it is hard to go past Rhys Mathieson.

summertime and the living is easy ........
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Essendon won't get pick 5 for Carlisle. No wucking fay. I'd rather pass on him if they play hardball.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Mathesion will be our pick

You are garbage - Enough said
Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

Bunk_Moreland wrote:Mathesion will be our pick
Hope we keep pick 5. Whoever we get will be good. But Mathieson sounds like Lenny Mark II. Heart and soul of the team. I like the sound of that.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Clarke looks more damaging than Mathieson IMO and is more the type that we need. Would be happy with either...much happier with both.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Clarke has come home with a wet sail. He looks a very good player to me but apparently we are so into Mathieson it's not funny. All the insiders are suggesting the reason we want to keep pick 5 is to et Matho. Plenty had Mathieson between about 8 and 13 but we are very happy to jump early on him. there are some comparing him to Lenny and Luke Hodge in the heart and soul stuff.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:Clarke has come home with a wet sail. He looks a very good player to me but apparently we are so into Mathieson it's not funny. All the insiders are suggesting the reason we want to keep pick 5 is to et Matho. Plenty had Mathieson between about 8 and 13 but we are very happy to jump early on him. there are some comparing him to Lenny and Luke Hodge in the heart and soul stuff.
Do you have inside info?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I am not surprised that we are desperate for clearance players.

If we end up with Carlisle, Freeman and Mathieson - then we have done well.

8: Rhys Mathieson (10)
Height: 185cm, Weight: 79kg
Club: Geelong Falcons
Position: Midfielder

Another contested beast that makes a habit of ensuring his opponent eats dirt when thrown to the ground in a tackle, Geelong’s Rhys Mathieson is a competitor with a football character that coaches crave. A workhorse that loves the physical stuff – Mathieson has a tank that allows him cover huge territory, and remain on the park for long periods of time. A midfielder who’ll dominate the clearances and contested ball, Mathieson doesn’t have any breath-taking traits, however you’ll always know what you’ll get with the fierce midfielder; courage in spades, leadership by the bucket load and an unrelenting attack on the ball that inspires teammates. His disposal can be rushed and scrappy at times, but he’s worked hard on that, and it showed during the championships, averaging 68 per cent disposal efficiency, a tick off AFL-elite.

ace
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:Essendon won't get pick 5 for Carlisle. No wucking fay. I'd rather pass on him if they play hardball.
Agreed
Tell 'em, Carlton can have him with pick 1 in the pre-season draft.

Then tell Essendon they should feel free to pick Andrew Lovett in the pre-season draft.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
FQF
SS Life Member

How is Matheison on the spread?

We obviously need to improve our clearance work but I think we have the personnel to make that improvement. We definitely do not have the personnel to improve our offence on the spread.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:How is Matheison on the spread?

We obviously need to improve our clearance work but I think we have the personnel to make that improvement. We definitely do not have the personnel to improve our offence on the spread.
I much prefer Katy Perry on the spread

the dome
Club Player

Pick 5 = a shot @ Mathieson or Clarke

So the club could actually be well into one of these young mids, not surprising as one of them could with a bit of luck morph into a Lenny Mark2 or more conservatively an Andrew Thompson for instance. My point being (including the 'potential' outcomes) we wont have that major Midfield potential injection if we lose Pick 5. for Carlisle who I realise 'could' be very good. :)

Clayton Davis
Club Player

Re: Pick 5 = a shot @ Mathieson or Clarke

the dome wrote:So the club could actually be well into one of these young mids, not surprising as one of them could with a bit of luck morph into a Lenny Mark2 or more conservatively an Andrew Thompson for instance.
Sheeeiiittt partner, lookin at dem so-called hi-lights, I'd be reckoning, Anndrew Thompson at beast, for det dere Matt E Son. Precious little upsyde dere. Precious little!

Don't we ned outseed run n carrry n gooooood kickin??? Nooot sloooow, with ordinairah skills, n questionable desyshion makin???

Det dere Clarke boy for mine!!! Didn't yawl see how his gayme was waayy beyond hiss dere team maytes???? Sheeeiiit, he'd be run n, give n off, keep on run n to pro vyde da link up, but hiss dumbass team maytes they was all still play n wid an unda 11's myndseeeiiittt. Myssed im nearlah evera damn time!!!! Sheeeiiittt!!!

Warning: Press only in situations of extreme disbelief!
######### http://shiiiit.com/ #########
####### Image #######

About a simple man who was horrifically punished by
the powers that be for the terrible crime of trying to
bring light to the common people.

Winmar
Club Player

Hahaha if I didn't watch The Wire I'd have no idea what you were on about! :)

gringo
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:
gringo wrote:Clarke has come home with a wet sail. He looks a very good player to me but apparently we are so into Mathieson it's not funny. All the insiders are suggesting the reason we want to keep pick 5 is to et Matho. Plenty had Mathieson between about 8 and 13 but we are very happy to jump early on him. there are some comparing him to Lenny and Luke Hodge in the heart and soul stuff.
Do you have inside info?

There are 3 guys over at Big Footy all seem to work at the club or have insiders in some capacity. Have all said separately that we are going after Mathieson. He seems to be the one Trout favours and they are pretty locked on to him by the sound of it. Possibly why the downgrade is being considered. Pick 8 to 10 would be about right for Matho.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

If we downgrade our pick to 8 or 9 like some are saying, Mathieson may be gone. But there are still some good ones who may be available. Milera for one, who did well in the draft camp. is fast and an outside mid/forward.
Another couple who did well in the draft camp and are fast are Daniel Riolli and Liam Jeffs who could be taken with later picks. And dont forget Jade Gresham who is also fast and won the kicking. His value must have also gone up.

SuperDuper
Club Player

give me Clayton Oliver...

was playing ``basically as a CHF" in seniors in the Bush at 16, is a big all round midfielder... dominated the second half of the TAC season

the dome
Club Player

Greedy Drafting can backfire

The old firm of Coll/ Ess wanting the whole box and dice could backfire on them if it drags out to late next week. Robbo on SEN was pointing out the unrealistic strategy of the pies who would resist giving up their own first round pick yet suggest that Freeman will bring a first rounder to them. Essendon with pick 4 already will probably squander away other possibilities holding out for pick 5 which Bains has stated has to be off the table. Seems the recruiters are really keen on landing a real prospect @ # 5. Funny if the Saints drafted better @ 5 than the dons @ 4 - very possible. Also heard Freo showing consistent interest in BJ.
This simple strategy of asking all you can for too little in return is pretty transparent as an early negotiating tactic. I wouldn't be surprised if the Saints were exploring a few more alternatives.
:D