Big year next year

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Long Term Injury
Club Player

Big year next year

I know that this is probably too early, and i genuinely dont mean it in bad taste, but i reckon there are a couple of midfielders that need a bit year next year to hold their spot on the list. Im happy with the decision not to delist this year, but I think these guys need to take a couple of forward steps to stay relevant in 2016. In no particular order:
Curren, he really burst on to the scene for me, but was injured admittedly, but didnt have the impact earlier in the season. I rate him so hope he comes good.
Saunders, reading others' posts on here, apparent has really good speed and endurance, but just needs to get more of it and be a bit more composed.
Murdoch, maybe more high HF than mid, but again hopefully his back issues are behind him (no pun intended) and he comes through. Could be an elite kick running into the forward 50.
Minchington, similar to Murdoch, needs to get a bit more of it, but would have finished the year with a lot of confidence, so fingers crossed.
Ray, not sure what will happen here. No upset if he hangs around for another year, but after that... ?

Interested to hear others' thoughts.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: Big year next year

Long Term Injury wrote:I know that this is probably too early, and i genuinely dont mean it in bad taste, but i reckon there are a couple of midfielders that need a bit year next year to hold their spot on the list. Im happy with the decision not to delist this year, but I think these guys need to take a couple of forward steps to stay relevant in 2016. In no particular order:
Curren, he really burst on to the scene for me, but was injured admittedly, but didnt have the impact earlier in the season. I rate him so hope he comes good.
Saunders, reading others' posts on here, apparent has really good speed and endurance, but just needs to get more of it and be a bit more composed.
Murdoch, maybe more high HF than mid, but again hopefully his back issues are behind him (no pun intended) and he comes through. Could be an elite kick running into the forward 50.
Minchington, similar to Murdoch, needs to get a bit more of it, but would have finished the year with a lot of confidence, so fingers crossed.
Ray, not sure what will happen here. No upset if he hangs around for another year, but after that... ?

We have only cut 4 players. We are after Carlyle and Freeman and we need a spot to upgrade Sinclair, so we need to cut or trade out two more players for starters. Ray and who else?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I think saynta is right. At least one more player will be gone. Probably two.

BIg years next year for Seb Ross, Acres, Billings, Dunstan. All four should be ready to play at a high level. No excuses.

longtimesaint
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:I think saynta is right. At least one more player will be gone. Probably two.

BIg years next year for Seb Ross, Acres, Billings, Dunstan. All four should be ready to play at a high level. No excuses.
Don't we also need a spot for Holmes or can he stay a rookie for a third year.?
He signed a one year contract recently.

One year will be our year
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

longtimesaint wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:I think saynta is right. At least one more player will be gone. Probably two.

Don't we also need a spot for Holmes or can he stay a rookie for a third year.?
He signed a one year contract recently.
I think he can stay as a Rookie for a 3rd year.

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

Curran, Geary and Saunders are all poor ball users who I don't think will be around this time next year
Curran has speed and endurance on his side
Geary is one tough bugger and has leadership qualities on his side
Saunders has speed on his side.

uptheboys
Club Player

Saad and Ray still out of contract, think one or both of those could be the casualty of good trading if all falls our way with Carlisle, Freeman etc and be delisted.

longtimesaint
Club Player

uptheboys wrote:Saad and Ray still out of contract, think one or both of those could be the casualty of good trading if all falls our way with Carlisle, Freeman etc and be delisted.
Salad is a rookie so will not help with making space on senior list.
Ray looks the most likely to be delisted which will be a pity as he still has something to offer.

One year will be our year
uptheboys
Club Player

longtimesaint wrote:
uptheboys wrote:Saad and Ray still out of contract, think one or both of those could be the casualty of good trading if all falls our way with Carlisle, Freeman etc and be delisted.
Salad is a rookie so will not help with making space on senior list.
Ray looks the most likely to be delisted which will be a pity as he still has something to offer.
If Saad goes, Sinclair upgrade and Schnieder is retired that gives us 3 rookie list spots. Depends how many rookies they want to draft and how much they think Saad still has to offer whether he gets delisted. I think he should probably go as we have enough depth in small forwards and as a 26 year old he is unlikely to improve out of sight and deserve a spot in the senior side.

Playon
Club Player

saynta wrote:
Long Term Injury wrote:I know that this is probably too early, and i genuinely dont mean it in bad taste, but i reckon there are a couple of midfielders that need a bit year next year to hold their spot on the list. Im happy with the decision not to delist this year, but I think these guys need to take a couple of forward steps to stay relevant in 2016. In no particular order:

We have only cut 4 players. We are after Carlyle and Freeman and we need a spot to upgrade Sinclair, so we need to cut or trade out two more players for starters. Ray and who else?
Well theres a good chance we wont have Hickey and Ross next year.
Next years trade period will be harder again, will be the last straw for some players unfortunately

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

I think we'll see genuine mids coming in with our picks over the next few years. Then you've got guys like Billings, Acres, maybe McKenzie who'll start playing through the middle more and more. It's definitely going to create real pressure for spots and it creates an environment where you have to tear it apart to get in the firsts. Even guys like Weller, Newnes and Savage need to keep developing and go to another level with consistency and impact or they'll find themselves under pressure from talented kids. Giving effort is great starting point, but you need to be be damaging with the footy if you want to be in our premiership team.

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Saad had probably had enough chances, he probably needs to move on.

Templeton is another who will need to prove himself.

The way the competition is, the small forwards must be able to rotate through the middle.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Is Saad likely to remain on the list? Would prefer to see a Mitch Brown (Sandy) on the Rookie List.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote: Would prefer to see a Mitch Brown (Sandy) on the Rookie List.
I think you might find that a club will grab Brown in the main draft. He has only just turned 25 and so at that age as a KPP who can play both ends issuited to virtually anyteam that lacks in this area whether they be at the bottom rebuilding, on the rise or already playing finals.

As it seems it was his should problems that were holding him back (now rectified), more clubs will be willing to give him a second chance.

Would be a good fit at the Dogs for example... or the Blues or Lions (both of whom will have picks before us at each round including in the Rookie Draft).

With the Saints having by the time drafting starts McCartin, Bruce, Carlisle and Goddard as our future KP spine we would be less likely to go early with a pick than some clubs. Who knows we may be lucky, but I expect another club will grab him.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

saintsRrising wrote:
samuraisaint wrote: Would prefer to see a Mitch Brown (Sandy) on the Rookie List.
I think you might find that a club will grab Brown in the main draft. He has only just turned 25 and so at that age as a KPP who can play both ends issuited to virtually anyteam that lacks in this area whether they be at the bottom rebuilding, on the rise or already playing finals.

As it seems it was his should problems that were holding him back (now rectified), more clubs will be willing to give him a second chance.

Would be a good fit at the Dogs for example... or the Blues or Lions (both of whom will have picks before us at each round including in the Rookie Draft).

With the Saints having by the time drafting starts McCartin, Bruce, Carlisle and Goddard as our future KP spine we would be less likely to go early with a pick than some clubs. Who knows we may be lucky, but I expect another club will grab him.
Mitch had a great VFL season... He clunks the contested marks as good as any. Earnt the right to be on an AFL list again, would love it to be the saints.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Curren is an interesting one. He burst onto the scene in the VFL as a ball winning mid, and yes he has decent speed with average disposal (not eye of the needle, but not Geary/Gilbert'esque either). In the AFL, has been tried as a tagger and small forward, and whilst getting less recognition than deserved for the latter IMO, he hasn't really stood out in any one particular area.
Exactly where do we play him, what's his role? It's a worry that this remains unanswered. If he loses his speed, i think he may be done.

I think we have nothing left to do but throw him in the centre... That's his bread and butter, leave him there ensuring he gets every opportunity and see if he can hack it.

Saunders seems to me to be one of those players that really is a gun on all levels but doesn't quite have the talent to make it in the best competition in the land. He's a bull, really knows how to play, has reasonable speed but he seems to lack any elite level attributes... He's tough but not strong enough for the AFL, fast but not fast enough... Decent disposal but not elite, ultimately not damaging enough. I love the kid but i don't think he makes it.
Might be one of those players that could come back as a mature aged player and be better than we thought, but it's hard to see a reason right now to keep him.

Murdoch I really really like. I want to see this kid work his butt off in the pre-season, come back in the best shape of his career and really have a good shake at it. Reckon he could be a gem HFF rotating through the middle. Solid, stocky, faster than he looks, good goal sense.

Minch I really liked the way he finished the season in the VFL... was every where... Attack on the ball second to none, took it on himself to be the player that makes things happen, has the skills to back it up. Is another one, needs to get his fitness up to Geary like levels, and needs some muscle in his core so that he doesnt get pushed off the ball so easy.

Saad is done IMO. another good kid who is well suited to the VFL level.

Ray i think doesn't have much left to offer... I would cut him and give Saunders an extra chance... Decent service but he doesn't have the positives in his game that we require... Speed, line breaking, elite disposal, winning the ball in contests. Not his strengths

ripplug66
Club Player

skeptic wrote:

Curren is an interesting one. He burst onto the scene in the VFL as a ball winning mid, and yes he has decent speed with average disposal (not eye of the needle, but not Geary/Gilbert'esque either). In the AFL, has been tried as a tagger and small forward, and whilst getting less recognition than deserved for the latter IMO, he hasn't really stood out in any one particular area.
Exactly where do we play him, what's his role? It's a worry that this remains unanswered. If he loses his speed, i think he may be done.

I think we have nothing left to do but throw him in the centre... That's his bread and butter, leave him there ensuring he gets every opportunity and see if he can hack it.

Saunders seems to me to be one of those players that really is a gun on all levels but doesn't quite have the talent to make it in the best competition in the land. He's a bull, really knows how to play, has reasonable speed but he seems to lack any elite level attributes... He's tough but not strong enough for the AFL, fast but not fast enough... Decent disposal but not elite, ultimately not damaging enough. I love the kid but i don't think he makes it.
Might be one of those players that could come back as a mature aged player and be better than we thought, but it's hard to see a reason right now to keep him.

Murdoch I really really like. I want to see this kid work his butt off in the pre-season, come back in the best shape of his career and really have a good shake at it. Reckon he could be a gem HFF rotating through the middle. Solid, stocky, faster than he looks, good goal sense.

Minch I really liked the way he finished the season in the VFL... was every where... Attack on the ball second to none, took it on himself to be the player that makes things happen, has the skills to back it up. Is another one, needs to get his fitness up to Geary like levels, and needs some muscle in his core so that he doesnt get pushed off the ball so easy.

Ray i think doesn't have much left to offer... I would cut him and give Saunders an extra chance... Decent service but he doesn't have the positives in his game that we require... Speed, line breaking, elite disposal, winning the ball in contests. Not his strengths
Unfortunately all those players seem like seconds players to me. They have been around long enough to make their mark and have failed nearly Everytime when given the chance. They weren't high draft picks so nothing really lost if they don't make it but we do need another year of picks around their number being senior footballers like we seem to have done last season.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Curren is an interesting one. He burst onto the scene in the VFL as a ball winning mid, and yes he has decent speed with average disposal (not eye of the needle, but not Geary/Gilbert'esque either). In the AFL, has been tried as a tagger and small forward, and whilst getting less recognition than deserved for the latter IMO, he hasn't really stood out in any one particular area.

Agree with all of that. Murdoch needs to improve his endurance and he is the perfect height for a modern hardbodied mid. Great summary on Minchy. He earnt himself an opportunity and is a better footballer than Saad, TC, and Saunders and a few others like Eli who needs to show something next year.