Round 1 2016

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Round 1 2016

AFL.com says this is round 1 2016

Round one fixture:

Thursday, March 24
Richmond v Carlton, MCG

Saturday
Melbourne v Greater Western Sydney, MCG
Gold Coast v Essendon, Metricon Stadium
Sydney Swans v Collingwood, ANZ Stadium
North Melbourne v Adelaide, Etihad Stadium

Sunday
Western Bulldogs v Fremantle, Etihad Stadium
Port Adelaide v St Kilda, Adelaide Oval
West Coast v Brisbane Lions, Domain Stadium

Monday
Geelong v Hawthorn, MCG

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
LENNY LEADS THE WAY
Club Player

Re: Round 1 2016

Not a ideal way to start the year.

Can't see us getting within 50 points of Port.

A fixture against the dogs at Etihad would've been much more exciting.

Overall a very bland opening round with not much to get excited about.

100 percent behind the saints 100 percent of the time
matrix
Saintsational Legend

Bang!
SA game straight off the bat with a melb game the week after for Roos 300th
Double whammy straight up for me.

Yip
Yar.
8-)

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Can we just call ourselves the Sunday Saints and be done with it?

ace
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:Can we just call ourselves the Sunday Saints and be done with it?
We are like a bank - too important to fail.

That is important to the AFL who exploit the club to provide TV content.
But then sabotage the club's financial viability by hiding us away with Sunday twilight games.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

What a wasted opportunity. Round 1 over Easter and no Good Friday footy. Wankers.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Typical. Port in Adelaide round 1. Who do we play round 2?

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
ripplug66
Club Player

samuraisaint wrote:Typical. Port in Adelaide round 1. Who do we play round 2?

Why typical? Round 2 will be in Melbourne against the WB is my guess.

oh when the
Club Player

Roos 300th is rd2 at home presumably.

70s sainter
Club Player

I don't mind playing round one against a team your not expected to win against .
Anything can happen round 1 . There is always a few upsets until teams settle their list / gameplan etc .
Getting a bit over the Carl / Rich round 1 promotion crap though.
Surprised it's port though considering we only play them once next year.
Don't we play the bottom 5 teams twice ?

noddy04
Club Player

Im excited :)

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

I thought Sydney were't going to play at Fitzpatrick's ANZ stadium anymore.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

I stand to be corrected, but isn't this the third year that we will be playing our first game interstate??

I wouldn't mind actually going to our first game for the year, for a change :evil:

mambo2706
Club Player

Junction Oval wrote:I stand to be corrected, but isn't this the third year that we will be playing our first game interstate??

I wouldn't mind actually going to our first game for the year, for a change :evil:
We played GWS at home in round 1 this year.

Melbourne at home round 1 last year

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote:I thought Sydney were't going to play at Fitzpatrick's ANZ stadium anymore.
2016 is meant to be the last year for AFL games at Fitzpatrick's ANZ stadium.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
philtee
Club Player

AFL's drip-feed of info at this time of year is irritating.
Probably an attempt to get a few headlines in the off-season.
But gee, just release the whole fixture at once, will you ?

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

Sometimes I wish the interstate teams would just p*ss off so we could get better value out of the home and away season.
Frankly I'm not going to submit myself to watching my club getting booed by 40,000 ferals every other weekend, or play in front of a lethargic and half arsed Queensland crowd.
Seriously the whole point of following a team is so you can get out in the community and watch them in and around town every weekend on Saturday at 2pm. The whole thing has turned into a 'commercial television experience' for mine. I understand this argument is not new. But humour me.
Especially the first game of the season. And on a Sunday night. What a dark cracked horrible turd this is.
All I ask is that the club don't pretend it's family friendly. Please I beg you.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
ripplug66
Club Player

millarsaint wrote:Sometimes I wish the interstate teams would just p*ss off so we could get better value out of the home and away season.
Frankly I'm not going to submit myself to watching my club getting booed by 40,000 ferals every other weekend, or play in front of a lethargic and half arsed Queensland crowd.
Seriously the whole point of following a team is so you can get out in the community and watch them in and around town every weekend on Saturday at 2pm. The whole thing has turned into a 'commercial television experience' for mine. I understand this argument is not new. But humour me.
Especially the first game of the season. And on a Sunday night. What a dark cracked horrible turd this is.
All I ask is that the club don't pretend it's family friendly. Please I beg you.

Its a public holiday on Monday so its the same as any other weekend night and who says it is at night anyway. By the way I love the national competition and the games not being on Saturday at 2pm but that's for selfish reasons as I have another club to follow.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote:
Jacks Back wrote:I thought Sydney were't going to play at Fitzpatrick's ANZ stadium anymore.
2016 is meant to be the last year for AFL games at Fitzpatrick's ANZ stadium.
Grassyarse

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Thursday, March 24
Richmond v Carlton, MCG - oh look, the AFL are still doing their best to keep members at Carlton, giving them another undeserved opener on prime time. Meh.

Saturday
Melbourne v Greater Western Sydney, MCG - Melbourne given a home game and a fifty fifty chance to finish top eight in week one. Waste of a stadium though. The big interstate club get Launceston and Hobart, and the five hundred Melbourne based Giants fans get the G to themselves.
Gold Coast v Essendon, Metricon Stadium - battle of the cokers and hopefully the first game of a two year ban - no one cares.
Sydney Swans v Collingwood, ANZ Stadium - Eddie will be happy. No one in Sydney will go, so almost a Collingwood home game.
North Melbourne v Adelaide, Etihad Stadium - Semi-interesting, except North are playing. This should be at the G, giving two finals team an opportunity to play there.

Sunday
Western Bulldogs v Fremantle, Etihad Stadium - As could this, one of the better games of the round. Except it has the dockers in it.
Port Adelaide v St Kilda, Adelaide Oval - great - we get this, whilst all of our rivals get winnable games.
West Coast v Brisbane Lions, Domain Stadium - Bar the poor lions. Who'd bother tuning in?

Monday
Geelong v Hawthorn, MCG - rivalry is long over, but still the best game of the opening round by a country mile.

So, round one after a half year drought, and outside of our game - which will likely be on Foxtel anyway - there's just one game I'd watch. On a bloody Monday?

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:Thursday, March 24
Richmond v Carlton, MCG - oh look, the AFL are still doing their best to keep members at Carlton, giving them another undeserved opener on prime time. Meh.

Saturday
Melbourne v Greater Western Sydney, MCG - Melbourne given a home game and a fifty fifty chance to finish top eight in week one. Waste of a stadium though. The big interstate club get Launceston and Hobart, and the five hundred Melbourne based Giants fans get the G to themselves.
Gold Coast v Essendon, Metricon Stadium - battle of the cokers and hopefully the first game of a two year ban - no one cares.
Sydney Swans v Collingwood, ANZ Stadium - Eddie will be happy. No one in Sydney will go, so almost a Collingwood home game.
North Melbourne v Adelaide, Etihad Stadium - Semi-interesting, except North are playing. This should be at the G, giving two finals team an opportunity to play there.

Sunday
Western Bulldogs v Fremantle, Etihad Stadium - As could this, one of the better games of the round. Except it has the dockers in it.
Port Adelaide v St Kilda, Adelaide Oval - great - we get this, whilst all of our rivals get winnable games.
West Coast v Brisbane Lions, Domain Stadium - Bar the poor lions. Who'd bother tuning in?

Monday
Geelong v Hawthorn, MCG - rivalry is long over, but still the best game of the opening round by a country mile.

So, round one after a half year drought, and outside of our game - which will likely be on Foxtel anyway - there's just one game I'd watch. On a bloody Monday?
The question does the dude who does the fixture have Asperberger's or similar?

Same same, no threat of change.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
ripplug66
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:
desertsaint wrote:Thursday, March 24

Saturday

Sunday

Monday

The question does the dude who does the fixture have Asperberger's or similar?

Same same, no threat of change.

Apart from one or two games what else is the same? I think we have played in Melbourne the last 2 years for a start.

To the top
SS Life Member

The real problem with the starts that the AFL hands us each and every year - aligned with our lack of on-field performance over the past couple of years - is that, fronting up Interstate and losing drains supporter interest even before St Kilda play a home game, and more so if the loss is a bad one.

The best scenario is that we defeat PA and attract supporter interest for Round 2.

Like most pursuits in life, habit plays a big part and for a raft of reasons so when habit is broken it is very difficult to re-connect.

This is the reason the programming of the AFL does St Kilda no favors with "twilight" games and particularly on a Saturday or a Sunday - and, indeed, not having any (AFL) football to go to on a weekend impacts on habit as well.

The start times take out the afternoon and the evening - the AFL incorrectly presuming that AFL football is the absolute Number 1 priority of all when it is clearly not.

It is entertainment for those interested.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Round 2 and 3 HOME games....

sat arvo against pies prob round 3

(Sat night 66 grand final reunion .........50 years)
Last edited by chook23 on Wed 28 Oct 2015 3:47pm, edited 1 time in total.

saint4life
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Awesome...a game for me first up! Treat for me and Degruch Jr :D