2016 Fixture

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ripplug66
Club Player

Re: 2016 Fixture

borderbarry wrote:I see that the idea put forward last season that the League be broken into three parts, the teams in each section playing each other twice has nearly been followed. But why are we playing North twice instead of Brisbane?

Because we are already playing 3 of the bottom 5. As you say you must play at least 2 against them and we have 3. Surely you don't expect 4 BB?

stevie
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:Can somebody explain to me why the AFL still have a floating fixture for round 23 when the top 8 teams have a bye the following week?
Lost me here bro. A bye?

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

In general the Friday night games mainly look great.

Should make staying in on a Friday a little more enjoyable than the tripe we had to endure this year

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
ripplug66
Club Player

stevie wrote:
Life Long Saint wrote:Can somebody explain to me why the AFL still have a floating fixture for round 23 when the top 8 teams have a bye the following week?
Lost me here bro. A bye?

A weeks break after the last round so we don't get clubs resting players like they did this year. Great idea but I do agree the floating fixture doesn't make a lot of sense unless of course its practice for things to come in the future which I'm sure will eventually happen.

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

The bye after round 23 is a complete over reaction to what happened this year

As I have said before a month or so before round 23 this year, it looked like a sensational round with most games having a bearing, it was just because results went a certain way that 23 sizzled out

The week off should be between prelim and gf

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Re: 2016 Fixture ( released Thur 29th)

Enrico_Misso wrote:
saintbrat wrote:http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/s ... b1d6f88b18
ST KILDA will start the 2016 season with blockbuster home games in Rounds 2 and 3.

The Saints will play a rare home game against Collingwood at the MCG in Round 3, on a weekend that will commemorate the 50th anniversary of the club’s 1966 premiership.
For some reason I have the date 24th Sep 1966 ingrained, but in fact we must have won our premiership in April.
Hahahahaha Typical of the bloody AFL to get it wrong.

It would have made more sense for this memorial game to be held on the last round, closer to September 24th.

I have to admit, I'm dubious about it. It'll mark 50 years since our last premiership. 50 YEARS. Prozac Nation eat your heart out!

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
terry smith rules
SS Life Member

Sainternist wrote:
Enrico_Misso wrote:
ST KILDA will start the 2016 season with blockbuster home games in Rounds 2 and 3.

The Saints will play a rare home game against Collingwood at the MCG in Round 3, on a weekend that will commemorate the 50th anniversary of the club’s 1966 premiership.
For some reason I have the date 24th Sep 1966 ingrained, but in fact we must have won our premiership in April.

It would have made more sense for this memorial game to be held on the last round, closer to September 24th.

I have to admit, I'm dubious about it. It'll mark 50 years since our last premiership. 50 YEARS. Prozac Nation eat your heart out!
Why does it have to be close to the date, not sure Collingwood will be attending :D

Carlton celebrated their 1995 flag this year way before the end of the year.

Doesn't matter, it will be fantastic celebration whenever it is held.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

What week is the annual Saints, Port game in Melbourne?

Saintsational Legend

No Sydney game .

3 games at the G is good news.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

ripplug66 wrote:
stevie wrote:
Lost me here bro. A bye?

A weeks break after the last round so we don't get clubs resting players like they did this year. Great idea but I do agree the floating fixture doesn't make a lot of sense unless of course its practice for things to come in the future which I'm sure will eventually happen.
They've "practiced" it for the last few years.

Do you think they're preparing us for the 17-5 fixture that Gill wants?

stevie
Saintsational Legend

So there is really a week off before the first weekend of the finals? Because of resting players in the final round? Lol lol lol

I went through our fixture and I come up with 13 wins! Woohoo!

ripplug66
Club Player

stevie wrote:So there is really a week off before the first weekend of the finals? Because of resting players in the final round? Lol lol lol

Why is it funny? Makes complete sense to get the players at their best for the finals.

stevie
Saintsational Legend

ripplug66 wrote:
stevie wrote:So there is really a week off before the first weekend of the finals? Because of resting players in the final round? Lol lol lol

Why is it funny? Makes complete sense to get the players at their best for the finals.
Why start doing it now? All it does is add an asterix to the official records.

I guess they could call Round 24 the 'Good Friday' round now. Lol. I'm sure the fans whose teams are in the finals will be keen to wait for 2 weeks to see their team play. Yessir baby. Lol.
Last edited by stevie on Thu 29 Oct 2015 2:42pm, edited 1 time in total.

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

I'm tipping 8 wins after seeing the fixture

ripplug66
Club Player

stevie wrote:
ripplug66 wrote:

Why start doing it now? All it does is add an asterix to the official records.

I guess they could call Round 24 the 'Good Friday' round now. Lol. I'm sure the fans whose teams are in the finals will be keen to wait for 2 weeks to see their team play. Yessir baby. Lol.

I don't get what you mean at all. An asterix to official records? We have had 2 byes previously so whats the difference? We have 2 this year. And if our side was in the finals I wouldn't give a stuff about waiting another week.

darylcowie
Club Player

A more balanced fixture, apart from the lack of any Friday night games for us next season.

In some ways it is the opposite of last season, with quite a tough start, but after round 4 I can see us potentially winning about 9 games (GWS (H), Melbourne (both games), Essendon (both games), Carlton (both games), Gold Coast (A) and Brisbane (H).

its time to make a name for yourself like you've never made before!
stevie
Saintsational Legend

Plug, in the yearbook or whatever after next season it will have a note or asterisk explaining that the final 8 teams had a bye before the finals began. As it is a new thing so has to be noted much like the 2010 nrl season noting that the storm played for zero pts etc

I had the thought that its been done to ensure the gf stays on the same weekend as the nrl one possible I guess

stevie
Saintsational Legend

Plug, in the yearbook or whatever after next season it will have a note or asterisk explaining that the final 8 teams had a bye before the finals began. As it is a new thing so has to be noted much like the 2010 nrl season noting that the storm played for zero pts etc

I had the thought that its been done to ensure the gf stays on the same weekend as the nrl one possible I guess

ripplug66
Club Player

stevie wrote:Plug, in the yearbook or whatever after next season it will have a note or asterisk explaining that the final 8 teams had a bye before the finals began. As it is a new thing so has to be noted much like the 2010 nrl season noting that the storm played for zero pts etc

I doubt whether they would have an asterix for that. Did we have one when we had one bye then 2 byes? It doesn't change anything at all. And it is completely different to storm playing for no points.

bigmicka
Club Player

Had it been made official previously that we have dropped New Zealand?

No one ever built a statue for a critic.
stevie
Saintsational Legend

ripplug66 wrote:
stevie wrote:Plug, in the yearbook or whatever after next season it will have a note or asterisk explaining that the final 8 teams had a bye before the finals began. As it is a new thing so has to be noted much like the 2010 nrl season noting that the storm played for zero pts etc

I doubt whether they would have an asterix for that. Did we have one when we had one bye then 2 byes? It doesn't change anything at all. And it is completely different to storm playing for no points.
im not being deliberately argumentive plug, its just my attention to detail lol.

the extra week off sort of changes the dynamics of how teams may fare compared to all other past finals series that have had an 8.

ripplug66
Club Player

stevie wrote:
ripplug66 wrote:

im not being deliberately argumentive plug, its just my attention to detail lol.

the extra week off sort of changes the dynamics of how teams may fare compared to all other past finals series that have had an 8.

But finals are a year to year thing. It makes no difference what the preparation was in the previous finals. If only one side had the bye then maybe there would be an asterix but all 8 have the bye. We didn't even have an asterix when it went from a final 5 to a 6 to an 8 or when the final 8 changed how the finals were decided so having a bye means jack IMO.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

The week break before the finals is the smartest thing the AFL has done in years.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

terry smith rules wrote:
Sainternist wrote:
Enrico_Misso wrote:

Why does it have to be close to the date, not sure Collingwood will be attending :D

Carlton celebrated their 1995 flag this year way before the end of the year.

Doesn't matter, it will be fantastic celebration whenever it is held.
Well, with it being on a Saturday arvo, I most likely won't be able to make it :(

Playon
Club Player

Sainternist wrote:The week break before the finals is the smartest thing the AFL has done in years.
Yeah I agree, like the idea. It gives all teams a chance to place their best footy, which makes for better entertainment, and a last chance for players to get over niggles and small injuries.
Fairer for all