Pick 14

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

damienc
Club Player

Re: Pick 14

Love everthing that is being said here about Clayton Oliver. 2015 Morrish medal winner in the TAC. This kid has got it in spades. Loves chasing the footy. Loves mixing it with opponents. Loves the contest. Perfect for us.

But if we are wanting a pure defender rather than a midfielder we could not go past Keiran Collins. This guy is a tank who is rarely beaten for a contested mark. He played some great footy in the carnival. Barely 18 but already has a body for elite footy. The downside for him is that he can only play down back. Not versatile enough to play in the forward line.

Such a shame we could not grab both. But I guess I am being greedy. Can't get excited about some of the other high picks like Mathieson. Tucker is ok but no where near as good as Oliver IMO.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

well i've heard enough about Oliver to dry retch if essendon take him with number 5.
How about players likely to be available at pick bloody 14?

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
silverhalo
Club Player

magnifisaint wrote:What about this guy - Riley Bonner??
http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/playma ... 7590575334
No chance Oliver will fall through to 14.....definitely worth considering this kid, looks good. A fantastic attribute being able to kick like a mule.....ahhhh reminds me of Val Perovic & Jeff Fehring. Have we had any other guys that could kick stupidly long distances over the last 10 years or so? Joey can give them a ride when he gets on to them.....

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

silverhalo wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:What about this guy - Riley Bonner??
http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/playma ... 7590575334
No chance Oliver will fall through to 14.....definitely worth considering this kid, looks good. A fantastic attribute being able to kick like a mule.....ahhhh reminds me of Val Perovic & Jeff Fehring. Have we had any other guys that could kick stupidly long distances over the last 10 years or so? Joey can give them a ride when he gets on to them.....
So can Bull Murdoch, if he can get it.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Gehrig had a kick
Sipposs had a kick
monty not in the same ball park

Ok so we are all agreed that Oliver wont fall through to 14 - so if we want speed, stamina and outside run - are we over looking Rioli?

Seeya
Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

sunsaint wrote:Gehrig had a kick
Sipposs had a kick

Ok so we are all agreed that Oliver wont fall through to 14 - so if we want speed, stamina and outside run - are we over looking Rioli?
Because his disposal is appalling and he has no defensive side to his game.

He also has a limited tank. He does have the name Rioli though.
If he is around at pick 57 we should pick him up. Not at 14

You are garbage - Enough said
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I think we can safely say with a high degree certainty that our pick 14 will come from this list:

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-pre ... 7590794404

For our needs - I have to say I like this guy but I find it very hard to know what our recruiters are thinking until we really know how they internally rate the likes of Ross, Acres, Sinclair and Dunstan.
PICK 22: HAWTHORN — RILEY BONNER (West Adelaide)

Riley Bonner is almost the quintessential Hawthorn player. At 191cm, he is a good height off half-back and has a lethal left foot that is incredibly precise. His size means he can play tall or small, while his speed means he is equally adept at running off his man and breaking the lines. He averaged 18 disposals and five rebounds in the national championships. The Hawks won’t pass him up if he makes it this far
We may soon find out.

SMS
Club Player

As long as carlisle pulls him self together this will be another phenomenol draft.

I have changed my mind a bit ...
14. Another Vic boy is all i ask

Love gresham now. His attitude speed and ball winning abolity has me won.
Freeman and gresham = 2 shueys running around ... NICE

Imo we need a true midfielder.
Gresham
Clarke
Oliver
But if we got collins id be happy too.
Not sold on matho BUT he is a mid so if we chose him id have faith we knew what we were doing

Bomner, ah chee, tucker rioli look great but we have those spots filled. Need fast true mids and key positions
Plus I dont want interstate players IF we can avoid it.
I think we can here. Already added 2 vic boys in jake and bailey lets keep it rolling!

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

SMS wrote:Love gresham now. His attitude speed and ball winning abolity has me won.
Under-18 captain, sub 180-cm, leadership qualities. Reminds anyone else of Andrew McQualter?

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

bergholt wrote:
SMS wrote:Love gresham now. His attitude speed and ball winning abolity has me won.
Under-18 captain, sub 180-cm, leadership qualities. Reminds anyone else of Andrew McQualter?
Nothing like McQualter.

Go have a look at highlights on YouTube.

Have contacts who follow TAC and the kid has star qualities written all over him.

Gresham would be a fantastic get

SMS
Club Player

Macqualter was almost the best half forward in the game in 2009.

This guy is more of a midfielder.
Gresham is tougher harder stronger and faster.

Wombat15
Club Player

Sipposs had a kick

I dont think Oliver will rise to 14, yes he won the morrish medal but theres just better "talent" ahead of him. i reckon the saints are keen on Mathieson or Tucker. the later is a beautiful kick on both sides of the ball and reminds me of a dal santo just a slick and silky mover.
Mathieson is your Sloane type whose a genuine footballer never be A grade (game changer) but will be the perfect player to compliment a midfield. Also not sure on why everyone is high on Rioli from what ive seen of him hes not that great and goes missing in games for long periods of time.
out of this draft id be happy with
14 - Mathieson or Tucker
Bailey Rice
Jack Sinclair upgrade.
Then somehow load up again in next years draft.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

SMS wrote:Macqualter was almost the best half forward in the game in 2009.
That is just so wrong

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Wombat15 wrote:
Sipposs had a kick

I dont think Oliver will rise to 14, yes he won the morrish medal but theres just better "talent" ahead of him. i reckon the saints are keen on Mathieson or Tucker. the later is a beautiful kick on both sides of the ball and reminds me of a dal santo just a slick and silky mover.
Mathieson is your Sloane type whose a genuine footballer never be A grade (game changer) but will be the perfect player to compliment a midfield. Also not sure on why everyone is high on Rioli from what ive seen of him hes not that great and goes missing in games for long periods of time.
out of this draft id be happy with
14 - Mathieson or Tucker
Bailey Rice
Jack Sinclair upgrade.
Then somehow load up again in next years draft.
It sounds to me like Mathieson and Tucker had the high reputations and made the rep sides etc but that doesnt men they are better 'talents' here and now. Tucker apparently struggled to find the ball most of the year even though hes pretty much a full time football player. Oliver seems like he was a late bloomer who didnt make the rep sides but I dont think that makes him less talented. Im not picking a fight im just saying we should look at the current day facts not just go on guys who have reputations from rep sides that were formed in 2014. If Vic Country was picked tomorrow - Oliver is first picked.

Freebird
Club Player

magnifisaint wrote:
That is just so wrong
+1

silverhalo
Club Player

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
bergholt wrote:
Nothing like McQualter.

Go have a look at highlights on YouTube.

Have contacts who follow TAC and the kid has star qualities written all over him.

Gresham would be a fantastic get
+1

Really good pace, elusive, leadership qualities and disposal looks sharp.....seems to like a goal as well. Maybe a bit short at 177cm but I wouldn't be unhappy if we picked up Jade Gresham

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:
That is just so wrong
Nah, he was really good that year. 22 goals, 21 goal assists, 4.7 tackles a game. Barely missed a goal except of course in the GF where it counted. Best in the game is probably a bit much but you can't deny he had a very good year, just a shame the rest of his career wasn't that good.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

i want players with elite kicking skills.

I dont know anything about this years crop but i gather Bonner and Gresham are two of the best when it comes to kicking...therefore either one gets my nod!

#1 Ryder fan
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Can anyone confirm Gresham really actually has pace? I think I read he is small and slow.

I love Lonie but we dont want two Lonies.

Prefer others. Clarke or Bonner for me.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Gresham isn't super quick but is still good.

Ryan Clarke looks a good all rounder too.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote:Can anyone confirm Gresham really actually has pace? I think I read he is small and slow.

He is not slow and is 178cm.

From what I've seen he wouldn't be another Lonie

All moot because if Matho is there that who we are gunna nab

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:Can anyone confirm Gresham really actually has pace? I think I read he is small and slow.

He is not slow and is 178cm.

From what I've seen he wouldn't be another Lonie

All moot because if Matho is there that who we are gunna nab
Is he was our no 1 preference?

ie. would we still have taken him at 5?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

AFL Draft 2015: Who your club should take with its first pick

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-pre ... 7597567462

ST KILDA

Pick: 14

Ideal: Rhys Mathieson

Otherwise: Clayton Oliver, Jade Gresham

The Saints need a big-bodied midfielder in order to strengthen their contested and clearance game in 2016.

They lost the contested possession count by 8.3 per game last year, the third-worst in the AFL.

Ideally, Rhys Mathieson would be the man they would love to target with their first pick. But whether he’s still there when it comes around is another question.

Mathieson is a beast at the contest, has clean hands at stoppages and racks up the numbers.

He averaged 28 disposals in the TAC Cup, of which almost half were contested. He also amassed around seven clearances per game

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I still dont follow the Mathieson logic. Why do people think they are 'in the know' on this? Are our recruiters really telling people who they are going to pick before the draft? I find this hard to believe.
If we go Matho, does it mean we dont rate Dunstan, Acres or Ross as clearance players?

damienc
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:AFL Draft 2015: Who your club should take with its first pick

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-pre ... 7597567462

ST KILDA

Pick: 14

Ideal: Rhys Mathieson

Otherwise: Clayton Oliver, Jade Gresham

The Saints need a big-bodied midfielder in order to strengthen their contested and clearance game in 2016.

They lost the contested possession count by 8.3 per game last year, the third-worst in the AFL.

Ideally, Rhys Mathieson would be the man they would love to target with their first pick. But whether he’s still there when it comes around is another question.

Mathieson is a beast at the contest, has clean hands at stoppages and racks up the numbers.

He averaged 28 disposals in the TAC Cup, of which almost half were contested. He also amassed around seven clearances per game

Those stats say it all for Mathieson. You would think he'd be gone by 14 but stranger things have happened. Look at Hugh Goddard. He was an absolute steal for us. I'm sure the club could not believe their luck when he became available in the 20s. A beast at the contest is exactly what we need.