2015 Player Review: Josh Bruce

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

2015 Player Review: Josh Bruce

Just going to see if people are interested in contributing to some player reviews while its quiet. Feel free to create any you want to discuss (got the stats from footywire).

Games: 22 Goals: 50.24 Avg kicks: 7.5 handballs: 3.4 tackles: 2.6

Josh obviously had a breakout year after being shifted forward and played a key role in our improvement giving us a genuine focal point besides Roo. As well as hitting the scoreboard regularly, what was impressive was how damn hard he worked - getting the ball to the deck or putting pressure running down the oppo backs with second and third efforts. However he dropped off a bit towards the end as teams perhaps worked him out a bit and stopped him getting clean launches at the ball.

I'm going to be really interested in how Josh goes next year as it may tie in to whether we draft another power forward. Now he's firmly on opp teams radar and they will do homework on him from round 1, will Josh be as effective on the scoreboard next year? Will he continue to work as desperately hard as he did when his career was perhaps on the line? Can he be a genuine power forward capable of hitting packs hard on regular basis or is he more the versatile third tall? Another stellar year next year and the club might back him to be partners with McCartin as the dual prong power forwards that will take us to a flag. If he drops off, the club might look at using its high pick over the next couple of years to get another young power forward in to hedge their bets.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: 2015 Player Review: Josh Bruce

Be good to include marks, and contested marks.

My turn.
Ahmed Saad.

Season 2015 Totals/Averages
GM K HB D M G B T HO FF FA
Total 4 14 11 25 7 3 1 8 0 1 3
Average 4 3.5 2.8 6.2 1.8 0.8 0.2 2.0 0 0.2 0.8

Well that didn't work. Worst return since Gehrig. Amazed we gave him four games.
Next...

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:Be good to include marks, and contested marks.

My turn.
Ahmed Saad.

Season 2015 Totals/Averages
GM K HB D M G B T HO FF FA
Total 4 14 11 25 7 3 1 8 0 1 3
Average 4 3.5 2.8 6.2 1.8 0.8 0.2 2.0 0 0.2 0.8

Well that didn't work. Worst return since Gehrig. Amazed we gave him four games.
Next...
He lacked versatility Ahmed. As a modern small forward yes you've go to kick goals, but also put on relentless fwd pressure, have the coolness under pressure to use the ball well and set team mates up, and have the on ball smarts to be able to be one of those "spitters" or "sliders" or whatever they call those guys setting up in ball ups. And he never really seemed to have that ferocious drive you need to ramp your game up from VFL to AFL. Lonie is already tackling guys twice as big him and getting knocked out.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Can he be a genuine power forward capable of hitting packs hard on regular basis or is he more the versatile third tall?
Fifty goals suggests he is a genuine power forward. If McCartin can match that by the time he is 23 like Josh we'll be proclaiming him a superstar.

Josh needs to work on his consistency. Needs to find a way to work himself into games when he is having a stinker. But he's got time on his side.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
Can he be a genuine power forward capable of hitting packs hard on regular basis or is he more the versatile third tall?
Fifty goals suggests he is a genuine power forward. If McCartin can match that by the time he is 23 like Josh we'll be proclaiming him a superstar.

Josh needs to work on his consistency. Needs to find a way to work himself into games when he is having a stinker. But he's got time on his side.
I need to see another solid season before I'm a full believer. There have been way too many one-season wonders in AFL. Teams will put a lot of work into him from round 1. And towards the end of last year when Rooey began playing up the ground more, then Josh seemed isolated a lot. If McCartin can go up a notch and be more of a focal presence, then that might free up Josh to take those runs at the footy he likes with his great timing. I don't think Josh is a stand and wrestle guy.

Club Player

josh will be our next CHF. he has the endurance, smarts and when he gets one out hard to beat so I see him as the natural replacement for Roo. paddy will be our more stay at home forward with Membrey the third tall unless we find a new Gunston.

the invisible and the non existent look very much alike
Saints43
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:Needs to find a way to work himself into games when he is having a stinker. But he's got time on his side.
He keeps working hard when things aren't going his way so I reckon he'll be alright there.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

6621104 wrote:josh will be our next CHF. he has the endurance, smarts and when he gets one out hard to beat so I see him as the natural replacement for Roo. paddy will be our more stay at home forward with Membrey the third tall unless we find a new Gunston.
Don't know about Membrey. He's an awkward size to me. I still think we might look at drafting another big forward over the next few drafts. We need to have lots of options and depth in all positions. Kosi not quite coming on to be that genuine forward threat (perhaps because of the injuries) meant we leant too hard on Rooey as the forward target and were too predictable. A second pack crashing power forward and Josh as the athletic versatile hard running third forward means would mean we have real versatile fire power forward and the ability to ride out injury. Then again if Hickey (or Pearce) could come on as that genuine marking forward/ruck then gives us more forward options.