Hugh Goddard collapsed at training

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Hugh Goddard collapsed at training

saintbrat wrote:
St Kilda FC ‏@stkildafc
Hugh was only for the night. Adriano. He’s recovered well and will be back training soon
mid week it was noted Hugh had flown home.
Was it heat stroke or heat exhaustion?

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

I haven't read that - just heard he had flown home

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:Was it heat stroke or heart exhaustion. They are 2 different things.
We don't know and that's the point. None of us here know the seriousness, or not so seriousness of it. But that doesn't stop the self-appointed rulers of this board to go around screaming about what can be talked about and what can't be talked about.

It's interesting how we assume all big guys now are these aerobic freaks like Rooey, Franklin and Cloke. Thats why these guys go so high in the draft - they are the exception. Having extra weight and a huge frame to have to cart around should make your endurance lower. Maybe it explains a little why Goddard slipped in the draft. But he's only played one season and they are already probably pushing him hard to get his fitness base up. How many seasons did it take to get Rooey up where he could run all year?

I think thats why the backline will suit Hugh. Carrying that weight around will be handy physicality in contests, but might stop him being an endurance beast. But then again he has only had 1 year in the AFL system so need to see how he develops over the next couple of years.

ripplug66
Club Player

Bluthy wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:Was it heat stroke or heart exhaustion. They are 2 different things.
We don't know and that's the point. None of us here know the seriousness, or not so seriousness of it. But that doesn't stop the self-appointed rulers of this board to go around screaming about what can be talked about and what can't be talked about.

It's interesting how we assume all big guys now are these aerobic freaks like Rooey, Franklin and Cloke. Thats why these guys go so high in the draft - they are the exception. Having extra weight and a huge frame to have to cart around should make your endurance lower. Maybe it explains a little why Goddard slipped in the draft. But he's only played one season and they are already probably pushing him hard to get his fitness base up. How many seasons did it take to get Rooey up where he could run all year?

I think thats why the backline will suit Hugh. Carrying that weight around will be handy physicality in contests, but might stop him being an endurance beast. But then again he has only had 1 year in the AFL system so need to see how he develops over the next couple of years.

Bluthy the point is your fall back position is always the worst and always without evidence. If you are going to say the negative how about also mentioning the positive. In this case, you like all of us have no idea why Goddard collapsed or what the medical and fitness staff were doing before or after the event.
Last edited by ripplug66 on Sat 05 Dec 2015 10:31am, edited 1 time in total.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:

No one is/was trying to limit what is or was being discussed on this board.

i thought your post was pompous and denigrating to the St Kilda football personal in charge of training.

Whilst I enjoy the majority of your posts, sometimes you come across as a know all.

Like you did when you claimed Carlyle was an addict.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:
Bluthy wrote:

No one is/was trying to limit what is or was being discussed on this board.

i thought your post was pompous and denigrating to the St Kilda football personal in charge of training.

Whilst I enjoy the majority of your posts, sometimes you come across as a know all.

Like you did when you claimed Carlyle was an addict.
Stop talking rubbish just to be provocative. It's a discussion board. My analysis is always well thought, provide some good backup arguments and known information - doesn't mean it's right but I have a go. YOu think the club won't review what happened with Hugh? Of course they will as they should. They may even rejig his training routines. The guy sounds like he's taking some time off training so there was obviously a degree of seriousness around it needing that precaution. They didn't say he went to hospital as a precaution, they said they were really worried about him.

I'm not getting into the Carlsisle addiction thing cos thats like wrestling with pigs - you end up exhausted and dirty and the pig loves it. IF all you want to do is "It's all good bro", "get round him", "the club knows best" then knock yourself out. I find that stuff pretty inane. We're on a St Kilda supporters board. We all "get round" all of them inherently. Stating it is just vacuous chest puffing.

One feels the nuances of my arguments are somewhat lost amongst the screeching voices in this echo chamber. Alas the prophet is a stranger in his own land. :cry:

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

ripplug66 wrote:
Bluthy wrote:

Bluthy the point is your fall back position is always the worst and always without evidence. If you are going to say the negative how about also mentioning the positive. In this case, you like all of us have no idea why Goddard collapsed or what the medical and fitness staff were doing before or after the event.
See this is why you are a troll plugger. You just pull out the same phrases in your replies over and over "Proof", "club knows best" that has zero level of creativity or insight. Often you don't even seem to really have understood what was said or pick up on a little snippet. It's like you can't get the over all comprehension of the argument so you just focus on a word or phrase autistic style. It's often really strange and disconnected from what was actually said. When I see your posts I picture the Terminator sitting at the keyboard, hammering back a reply straight away that is unyielding to any argument, inhuman in its inability to process what was said and give an informed reply. A soulless machine, coming at people relentlessly that is tiresome.

I think a lot of it is about control. You constantly want to get on the front foot and start to control people and shut down lines of discussion. You demand answers to inane questions. Maybe have a look around in your life and see if people might consider you a control freak. You obsession with proof implies you yourself feel you have to "prove yourself" at a deep level. My advice plugger here and in life is to tend your own garden. Many see you as a troll here. Trolls are boring.

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

"Wrestling with pigs".

I wish I had said that.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
ripplug66
Club Player

Bluthy wrote:
ripplug66 wrote:
Bluthy wrote:

See this is why you are a troll plugger. You just pull out the same phrases in your replies over and over "Proof", "club knows best" that has zero level of creativity or insight. Often you don't even seem to really have understood what was said or pick up on a little snippet. It's like you can't get the over all comprehension of the argument so you just focus on a word or phrase autistic style. It's often really strange and disconnected from what was actually said. When I see your posts I picture the Terminator sitting at the keyboard, hammering back a reply straight away that is unyielding to any argument, inhuman in its inability to process what was said and give an informed reply. A soulless machine, coming at people relentlessly that is tiresome.

I think a lot of it is about control. You constantly want to get on the front foot and start to control people and shut down lines of discussion. You demand answers to inane questions. Maybe have a look around in your life and see if people might consider you a control freak. You obsession with proof implies you yourself feel you have to "prove yourself" at a deep level. My advice plugger here and in life is to tend your own garden. Many see you as a troll here. Trolls are boring.

I'm certainly not a troll. I'm not the one stating the worst about Goddard or saying Carlisle is an addict and is doing rehab. They are clearly troll comments designed to get a reaction because there is no proof at all of either of those things. As for the club knowing best well they do in certain circumstances and they certainly do with the Goddard incident. To argue otherwise is arrogant in the extreme. And I understand exactly what is said. It isn't that hard to read what you saying. And thanks for all the personal comments about me. All wrong. I wont bother guessing about you because to be honest I don't give a stuff about you but I do care when you make up things about our club.

And thanks for your advise. I will take no notice of it and unless you have done a poll on me, how boring are you if that is the case, you have no idea if many think I'm a troll but even if I do I don't care. I will stick up for the club when it is obvious they know more than the guessing keyboard warrior.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

lol ... Stranger Danger time !
this blokes like the Rereemer channeling Scarface

Fair dink.

a Puffer fish run amok
wild theorem out of hand
a madman , though luckily , no~one gives a ....

Poll
: is Plugger a Troll

No .
So : Tend your own garden hypocrite.

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

WindSister wrote:lol

Fair dink.

a Puffer fish run amok
stranger Danger in its own land
wild theorem out of hand

Poll

No .
Whatever Windsister said I agree with -I think

You are garbage - Enough said
asiu
Saintsational Legend

withdraw his permission to post will ya Bunk
... Bluthys a crazy man.

Addiction gone feral.
... everyone can see it !!!
No need for a poll.

lol
... he's all a bit salted pineapple , a donkey on the edge

Some~one , please think of the children.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

It is highly likely Goddard hadn't consumed enough fluids prior to his episode.

Question I have - do our medicos have a way of checking player pre training hydration, other than "how many drinks have you had in the past two hours?"

Mind you, this is a valid question to ask all players prior to training in extreme discomfort conditions (ie. high heat and humidity).

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
HarryM
Club Player

WindSister wrote:lol ... Stranger Danger time !

Fair dink.

a Puffer fish run amok
wild theorem out of hand

Poll

No .
Perlease explain in Arabic what is it your trying to say? :D

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

HitTheBoundary wrote:
Sainternist wrote:I'm no expert when it comes to sports medicine/science, but doesn't it seem a little crazy to be training in such oppressive heat when footy is a winter sport?
There's been studies that show that subjecting the body to stress (in this case heat) can generate long lasting beneficial results for athletes.

It's a bit like altitude training - but cheaper.

This article on heat training is worth reading for the first paragraph alone....
http://www.runnersworld.com/sweat-scien ... ehydration
Very interesting. Thanks for the link, HTB!
saintspremiers wrote:Question I have - do our medicos have a way of checking player pre training hydration, other than "how many drinks have you had in the past two hours?"
I'm pretty sure a person's hydration levels can be measured through a blood test.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

HarryM wrote:

Fair dink.

a Puffer fish run amok
wild theorem out of hand

Poll

No .
Harry, we just don't know what we are dealing with, with WS's strange hieroglyphics - we haven't cracked the code yet but there are some possibilities:

* They could be frightening acid flashbacks from a burnout sixties hippy
* They could be Da Vinci type clues that lead to an international search for a holy artifact leading to an apocalyptic end of the world scenario - need to get Ian Rush working on that conspiracy one.
* They could be Nostradamus type prophecies of future events - keep an eye out for a puffer fish invasion over the next few months.
* It could be experimental dadaist, surrealist, anarchic poetry from a provocative artist working in the form of social media
* My theory is that WS was once a brilliant upcoming footy coach in the St Kilda area who got whacked on the head by a falling goal post and permanently scrambled their brains. WS now resides in a sanatorium wearing a strait jacket spending their days writing strange words on the wall with a big toe dipped in their own feces. To keep WS calm and manageable, the staff post the wall writings on SS, telling WS they are revered throughout the footy world as brilliant insights into the modern game.

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

Bluthy wrote:
HarryM wrote:

Fair dink.

a Puffer fish run amok
wild theorem out of hand

Poll

No .
Harry, we just don't know what we are dealing with, with WS's strange hieroglyphics - we haven't cracked the code yet but there are some possibilities:

* They could be frightening acid flashbacks from a burnout sixties hippy
* They could be Da Vinci type clues that lead to an international search for a holy artifact leading to an apocalyptic end of the world scenario - need to get Ian Rush working on that conspiracy one.
* They could be Nostradamus type prophecies of future events - keep an eye out for a puffer fish invasion over the next few months.
* It could be experimental dadaist, surrealist, anarchic poetry from a provocative artist working in the form of social media
* My theory is that WS was once a brilliant upcoming footy coach in the St Kilda area who got whacked on the head by a falling goal post and permanently scrambled their brains. WS now resides in a sanatorium wearing a strait jacket spending their days writing strange words on the wall with a big toe dipped in their own feces. To keep WS calm and manageable, the staff post the wall writings on SS, telling WS they are revered throughout the footy world as brilliant insights into the modern game.
Okay, I'll translate.

He's saying you're a pretentious, self righteous twat reporting to us mere mortals from your self constructed ivory tower.

Or at least thats how I read it.

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

Sainternist wrote:
HitTheBoundary wrote:
Sainternist wrote:I'm no expert when it comes to sports medicine/science, but doesn't it seem a little crazy to be training in such oppressive heat when footy is a winter sport?
There's been studies that show that subjecting the body to stress (in this case heat) can generate long lasting beneficial results for athletes.

It's a bit like altitude training - but cheaper.

This article on heat training is worth reading for the first paragraph alone....
http://www.runnersworld.com/sweat-scien ... ehydration
Very interesting. Thanks for the link, HTB!
A recent study also seems to show that motor skills can be improved by training in the heat.

"RESULTS: Heat stress increased heart rate to 65% of age-predicted maximum. After heat, mean resting MEP amplitude increased 48% (p<0.05). MEP stimulus-response amplitudes did not differ according to stimulus intensity. In the second experiment, heat stress caused a significant decrease in absolute and variable error (p<0.05) during a novel movement task using the FDI.

CONCLUSIONS: Passive environmental heat stress (1) increases motor cortical excitability, and (2) enhances performance in a motor skill acquisition task."
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26616546

This would be an added bonus if they are fitter AND their skills improve.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

HitTheBoundary wrote: Okay, I'll translate.

He's saying you're a pretentious, self righteous twat reporting to us mere mortals from your self constructed ivory tower.

Jesus Christ, this board is like a cult sometimes. Try and think for yourself - push the envelope - step outisde your little square. It's a little scary out there, but it also beautiful. I've tossed some ideas around. Its a DISCUSSION board. I haven't advocated the crucifixion of the physio's or trainers. This bizarre over-reaction to some queries is becoming a regular thing. People need to chill and enjoy life. We are all just rearranging pixels on a screen.

Lets just shut this site down - THE CLUB IS ALWAYS RIGHT, THEY WILL NEVER, EVER MAKE A WRONG DECISION, NO CRITICISM WILL BE BROOKED, ALL ARE EQUAL BUT SOME ARE MORE EQUAL THAN OTHERS, WORK MAKES YOU FREE, STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY, WAR IS PEACE, PROOF IS REQUIRED, LETS NOT READ WHAT SOMEONE SAID BUT JUST CREATE STRAWMEN, ADDICTION IS A DICK THING, ALWAYS WRITE IN CAPITALS, IVORY TOWERS SCARE ELEPHANTS.

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

Bluthy wrote:
HitTheBoundary wrote: Okay, I'll translate.

Jesus Christ, this board is like a cult sometimes. Try and think for yourself - push the envelope - step outisde your little square. It's a little scary out there, but it also beautiful. I've tossed some ideas around. Its a DISCUSSION board. I haven't advocated the crucifixion of the physio's or trainers. This bizarre over-reaction to some queries is becoming a regular thing. People need to chill and enjoy life. We are all just rearranging pixels on a screen.

Lets just shut this site down - THE CLUB IS ALWAYS RIGHT, THEY WILL NEVER, EVER MAKE A WRONG DECISION, NO CRITICISM WILL BE BROOKED, ALL ARE EQUAL BUT SOME ARE MORE EQUAL THAN OTHERS, WORK MAKES YOU FREE, STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY, WAR IS PEACE, PROOF IS REQUIRED, LETS NOT READ WHAT SOMEONE SAID BUT JUST CREATE STRAWMEN, ADDICTION IS A DICK THING, ALWAYS WRITE IN CAPITALS, IVORY TOWERS SCARE ELEPHANTS.
lol.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

in a nice way , i was saying ,
remove the 4×2 from your own eye u piece of humanic pondslime

Humanic pondslime defined
(for the Pauline clones)

an egoic foghorn ,
hypocritically condemning the intellectual 'n emotional
awareness 'n behaviour of others ,
without even basic self perception for and of
his own out of control pain body
or the addictive patterns of pain relief ,
incessantly vampirised from the energetic fields of other humans
with not a care for the damage done to the innocent

lust run amok .... a psychopath , basically.

but yea , what HTB said.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

here fishy fishy fishy

C'mon Puff
... keep the evening interesting

Lets play.

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

This study on AFL footballers (it doesn't say which team) found that;

"Preseason outdoor football training in hot ambient conditions induces (at least) partial heat acclimatisation in professional Australian Rules Football players, and is associated with very large improvements in high-intensity running performance. "

The same study included aspects of altitude (hypoxic training);

"Compared with training in the heat only, an additional hypoxic stimulus during sleep and some training sessions has no high-intensity running performance benefits immediately after the camp. The possible greater delayed effects of the hypoxic exposure, if any, are only small in magnitude. "
http://bjsm.bmj.com/content/47/Suppl_1/i59.full

and
"When athletes train in hotter conditions, their body's acclimate by reserving blood volume for cooling. When the athlete competes in cooler conditions, the reserve blood flow for cooling is not needed for cooling, and thus, available to supply the athlete's muscles with additional flow and the oxygen contained therein."
http://jammdirector.wix.com/injury-free ... 36d2f9825b

markp
Saintsational Legend

HitTheBoundary wrote:This study on AFL footballers (it doesn't say which team)
It was probably the Tulla guinea pigs.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

#standbybluthy

Get around him.