Dustin Martin

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

markp
Saintsational Legend

Re: Dustin Martin

dragit wrote:Sorry if this has been posted already

It is believed that several witnesses who saw Martin confront the woman have played down what has been reported as a vicious and threatening verbal attack.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/richm ... z3uC12xVGE

If this is true, what is going on here?

a) the restaurant is full of richmond fans who don't want to see their star miss games

b) the restaurant is full of men who love seeing violence towards women

c) all of the people in the restaurant have been leant on by Martin's bikie mates, the AFL and the police
Or...

d) "One friend said the woman was particularly devastated that the league had “actively sought to discredit her story’’ after police took charge last night, telling journalists that other diners had downplayed the incident."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/subscribe/n ... =anonymous

But the afl wouldn't do that, would they.

markp
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
HitTheBoundary wrote:
markp wrote:Somehow by saying calm down to a drunk we forgo our right to not be assaulted or threatened with stabbing and murder.
No, you don't forgo your right.

But you still might be stabbed and murdered.

But at least you would die with your rights intact.
whatever the hell that means?
If you figure it out let me know.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:
dragit wrote:Sorry if this has been posted already

It is believed that several witnesses who saw Martin confront the woman have played down what has been reported as a vicious and threatening verbal attack.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/richm ... z3uC12xVGE

If this is true, what is going on here?

a) the restaurant is full of richmond fans who don't want to see their star miss games

b) the restaurant is full of men who love seeing violence towards women

c) all of the people in the restaurant have been leant on by Martin's bikie mates, the AFL and the police
Or...

d) "One friend said the woman was particularly devastated that the league had “actively sought to discredit her story’’ after police took charge last night, telling journalists that other diners had downplayed the incident."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/subscribe/n ... =anonymous

But the afl wouldn't do that, would they.
Yes, we're hearing a lot from her friends.

One AFL officer has since been accused by those close to the victim of “monstering’’ her.

If the other diners interviewed have recalled a different story to 'Tracy' then I can understand why the AFL would re-iterate the seriousness of the allegations before referring on to the police.

“The investigation has been seriously flawed. The AFL needs to overhaul their process so the focus is on a victim’s welfare and not the branding of the league.’’

I think her approach to reporting this incident is seriously flawed.

markp
Saintsational Legend

Yes you seem to think a lot of her actions are flawed, even without all the details.

As reported and posted earlier, afl and rfc investigators initially left her with the impression the offence was not deemed a criminal one, and just maybe she was weary to avoid all the additional stress such action would bring.

But let's criticise her actions again, before we really know what they are or have context.

What I am sure of is that she would not be enjoying any of this.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:Yes you seem to think a lot of her actions are flawed, even without all the details.

As reported and posted earlier, afl and rfc investigators initially left her with the impression the offence was not deemed a criminal one, and just maybe she was weary to avoid all the additional stress such action would bring.

But let's criticise her actions again, before we really know what they are or have context.

So we can't talk about her because she is a "victim"?

You keep saying that we can't comment as we don't have all the details, yet you are quite prepared to tell us exactly how things would have played out if a man had approached Martin instead… including everyone's response?

Criminal offence > go to the police.

or

Record a news interview on the network you are a producer for, then ring the persons employer.

I won't comment on whether or not she is enjoying this, but I'm happy to comment on why she went to the AFL and then complained that they need to overhaul their 'criminal investigation process' - is she trying to bring him to justice?

markp
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
markp wrote:Yes you seem to think a lot of her actions are flawed, even without all the details.

So we can't talk about her because she is a "victim"?

You keep saying that we can't comment as we don't have all the details, yet you are quite prepared to tell us exactly how things would have played out if a man had approached Martin instead… including everyone's response?

Criminal offence > go to the police.

or

Record a news interview on the network you are a producer for, then ring the persons employer.

I won't comment on whether or not she is enjoying this, but I'm happy to comment on why she went to the AFL and then complained that they need to overhaul their 'criminal investigation process' - is she trying to bring him to justice?
You can do whatever you like, including casting aspersions on her actions without knowing all the details. Someone else can point that out.

There are many possible reason she may have done the things you mention and which you take issue with, you seem to want very much to focus and postulate on the negative and in your eyes illegitimate ones.

How people can doubt a story they do't know, and then attribute wicked or illegitimate motivations to the unknown actions of the victim within that story is curious, that's all.

markp
Saintsational Legend

It is entirely understandable that the woman concerned would not want the police involved. Inevitably, a person making serious allegations will be questioned, their credibility probed and, due to the passion of supporters and media interest, abused on social media. There isn't much upside to taking the allegation to police, except that you will be dealing with an investigation without a vested interest in an outcome.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/c ... z3uG1isjru
Follow us: @theage on Twitter | theageAustralia on Facebook

dragit
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:
It is entirely understandable that the woman concerned would not want the police involved. Inevitably, a person making serious allegations will be questioned, their credibility probed and, due to the passion of supporters and media interest, abused on social media. There isn't much upside to taking the allegation to police, except that you will be dealing with an investigation without a vested interest in an outcome.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/c ... z3uG1isjru
Follow us: @theage on Twitter | theageAustralia on Facebook
So to remain out of the public eye, she recalled the incident on national news and rang Richmond & the AFL?
An accusation that a footballer has threatened to kill a woman with a chopstick at a restaurant, clearly, belongs in police hands…
Whatever the truth, it is undeniable that, in the court of public opinion, most people will be inclined to favour a 30-year-old woman over a footballer with Dusty's rugged countenance.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:You can do whatever you like, including casting aspersions on her actions without knowing all the details. Someone else can point that out.

There are many possible reason she may have done the things you mention and which you take issue with, you seem to want very much to focus and postulate on the negative and in your eyes illegitimate ones.

How people can doubt a story they do't know, and then attribute wicked or illegitimate motivations to the unknown actions of the victim within that story is curious, that's all.
You don't seem interested in discussing it at all… you would prefer to cast labels at anyone who would dare mention any of the details about the incident, or discuss the way it has been handled.

None of which reduces Martin's culpability if the allegations are true.

markp
Saintsational Legend

Yup, the implication is clear.

She was looking and asking for trouble, and then trying to make more out if it than is warranted.

Let's go with that.

markp
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
markp wrote:You can do whatever you like, including casting aspersions on her actions without knowing all the details. Someone else can point that out.

You don't seem interested in discussing it at all… you would prefer to cast labels at anyone who would dare mention any of the details about the incident, or discuss the way it has been handled.
I think you're getting a little bit silly now.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:Yup, the implication is clear.

She was looking and asking for trouble, and then trying to make more out if it than is warranted.

Let's go with that.
You go with whatever makes you feel better.

No-one is saying what you have written.

miskycat
Club Player

dragit wrote:

Let's go with that.

Dragit, that's exactly what you're saying:

'So to remain out of the public eye, she recalled the incident on national news and rang Richmond & the AFL?'

Your words - own them.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

miskycat wrote:
dragit wrote:

Let's go with that.

Dragit, that's exactly what you're saying:

'So to remain out of the public eye, she recalled the incident on national news and rang Richmond & the AFL?'

Your words - own them.
Yes it was suggested that the reason that she didn't go to the police was because she didn't want face media interest or public scrutiny.

Quote me in context if you are going to attack my character.

miskycat
Club Player

Your comment was made during a part of the thread where you wanted to continually question the woman's motives/ actions and her handling of the incident.

i.e. 'Yes, we're hearing a lot from her friends.'

That's the 'context.'

dragit
Saintsational Legend

miskycat wrote:Your comment was made during a part of the thread where you wanted to continually question the woman's motives/ actions and her handling of the incident.

i.e. 'Yes, we're hearing a lot from her friends.'

That's the 'context.'
Correct, I was replying to people quoting comments from her friends...

I am interested in the details around making such a massive allegation and think it could be relevant to the discussion.

Regardless of what I think of this woman, I don't think anything she has done could possibly take away any of blame of how Martin has acted - not sure why that is so hard to grasp.

She could be a complete tool, I'm sure plenty of victims are... We know he is.

Gordo'
Club Player
Location: banned for a spell, things didn't turn out so well, every thread i played, ffs was lucky i stayed!!!

WindSister wrote:Maybe (as the thread instigator) u could creatively rejig the thread title so it fits in this forum ...
good thinking. this work for you mate? :wink:

"flowering dustin martin off flowering face. thinks he's flowering ricky nixon and mistakes restaurant woman for st kilda flowering schoolgirl ffs!!!!" :roll: :roll:

Fortitude Fidelity Sainta.
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

For the title of this thread, I'm still going with, "Former potential St.Kilda Player Launches Vicious, Life Threatening Attack on Channel 7 Work Experience Girl." Now, that's better, don't you think? Much more attractive for the average reader. As a bonus, we get to unfairly humiliate and denigrate all parties concerned and leave enough room for a series of articles about consiparicies, AFL corruption, poor club culture, all men being violkent predators and all women just "asking" to be assaulted. My work is done here. I'm off to the next staff editorial meeting.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:For the title of this thread, I'm still going with, "Former potential St.Kilda Player Launches Vicious, Life Threatening Attack on Channel 7 Work Experience Girl."
This is excellent. Could be a bit more sensationalist but still very good.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:
White Winmar wrote:For the title of this thread, I'm still going with, "Former potential St.Kilda Player Launches Vicious, Life Threatening Attack on Channel 7 Work Experience Girl."
This is excellent. Could be a bit more sensationalist but still very good.
Thanks, St.Byron. I didn't want to drift towards the use of hyperbole to make my point. Just the facts thanks. A forensic and objective review of the incident. Parsimony and reason at its best.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote: Thanks, St.Byron. I didn't want to drift towards the use of hyperbole to make my point. Just the facts thanks. A forensic and objective review of the incident. Parsimony and reason at its best.
Parsimony in service of objectivity is excellent. It's a bit dry though. I would have added something about the chopstick. Perhaps, "Former potential St.Kilda Player Launches Vicious, Life Threatening Attack on Channel 7 Work Experience Girl with Lethal Knife Like Utensil"

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:
White Winmar wrote: Thanks, St.Byron. I didn't want to drift towards the use of hyperbole to make my point. Just the facts thanks. A forensic and objective review of the incident. Parsimony and reason at its best.
Parsimony in service of objectivity is excellent. It's a bit dry though. I would have added something about the chopstick. Perhaps, "Former potential St.Kilda Player Launches Vicious, Life Threatening Attack on Channel 7 Work Experience Girl with Lethal Asian Utensil"

I like the Asian reference because it adds a racial element. Wouldn't have happened if it hadn't been in a Japanese restaurant.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Replace Utensil with the more emotive "weapon" and you've got a deal, good sir.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:Replace Utensil with the more emotive "weapon" and you've got a deal, good sir.
Yeah that's much better. More threatening the better.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

miskycat wrote:Oh, sorry. You're right. The incident had nothing to do with gender. How dare I?

I give you the Royal Commission into child sexual abuse (happening now) and its highlighting of the power structures within the church (men) that enabled these appalling abuses to occur.

And in the Defence Forces.

I give you the report tabled yesterday about Victoria Police and its institutionalised harassment/discrimination by male police officers against female officers over decades, and which remains today.

I give you the complete imbalance of women represented at all levels of parliament/ corporations/ boards/ management/ 'society.'

Or, hello, SKFC's board. Just because there are no women of 'merit' available apparently.

I give you 78 women killed by their male partners so far this year. I give you Rosie Batty, Jill Meagher, seen as 'respectable' women and seemingly 'acceptable' to posters here and who didn't 'deserve' what happened to them. But, clearly, they didn't listen to discussions and advice about how they could have minimised, or indeed, avoided, what happened to them. Silly of them, but, well, if only they had had the advantage of being part of this forum.

Because we now know it's inconceivable that it could possibly be a 'gender' (dare I say 'male violence against women' problem?) and happily acknowledge that the Dustin Martin incident has nothing whatsoever to do with this.
I give you 78 women killed by their male partners so far this year.

Incidentally,if you are going to quote things like this you may want to get it right.

There have been in 2015 78 women killed in Australia.However, 28 of these are not domestic related, and 10 are killed by other women. This leaves 40 women who are known to have been killed in domestic or family violence.

So not only are the 78 actually 40 killed by a partner (or former partner), but 10 of them were killed by other women !!

As a side note to this, as at 11 Dec, 2015 women have killed 40 people, 19 men, 10 women, and 11 children.

Of course men are murdered at twice the rate women are, but you seem only concerned with the 40 female victims in domestic homicides...

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!