Paddy's endurance

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Paddy's endurance

saintsRrising wrote:There is a big difference between:

Has a touch of Hudson in him as in the ability to use his body to manoeuvre the opposition out of the way at just the right time.

and

He is the next Hudson
Got it in one.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

What episodes?

Saintsational Legend

8856brother wrote:What episodes?
Diabetes related I presume.

ripplug66
Club Player

tony74 wrote:

Has a touch of Hudson in him as in the ability to use his body to manoeuvre the opposition out of the way at just the right time.

and

He is the next Hudson
Got it in one.

So rubbish is a good word for that.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Ben Hudson?

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

ripplug66 wrote:
tony74 wrote:

and

He is the next Hudson
Got it in one.

Why is it rubbish? Because Tony74 posted it?

Why can't he have the opinion he posted?

You are garbage - Enough said
ripplug66
Club Player

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
ripplug66 wrote:
tony74 wrote:

and

He is the next Hudson
Got it in one.

He can and so can I or can it only be one positive person who allowed and opinion. We don't want McCartin to play anything like Hudson even when using his body. I wont say what you said is rubbish because its xmas time and we should all try and get along.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

I just shake my head sometimes.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

ripplug66 wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:
ripplug66 wrote:
tony74 wrote:

and

He is the next Hudson
Got it in one.

He can and so can I or can it only be one positive person who allowed and opinion. We don't want McCartin to play anything like Hudson even when using his body. I wont say what you said is rubbish because its xmas time and we should all try and get along.
Have you gotten on the turps early. Above makes absolutely no sense and is total rubbish. Yours Wasn't an opinion just a slagging off of another's.

So if someone says so and so reminds me of Plugger because of the way he kicks, you would respond by saying we don't want that because Plugger wouldn't survive in today's game?

I would love McCartin to play like Hudson and kick 150 in a season. For some reason that upsets you.

Weird. Must be the turps

You are garbage - Enough said
ripplug66
Club Player

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
Have you gotten on the turps early. Above makes absolutely no sense and is total rubbish. Yours Wasn't an opinion just a slagging off of another's.

So if someone says so and so reminds me of Plugger because of the way he kicks, you would respond by saying we don't want that because Plugger wouldn't survive in today's game?

I would love McCartin to play like Hudson and kick 150 in a season. For some reason that upsets you.

Weird. Must be the turps

For a person who seems happy to run to mods when people get personal you really do like getting personal yourself. This isn't BF. Sorry that's your line as if you are some sort of BF god. And I would love McCartin to kick 150 but if you understand footy he has no hope if he plays like Hudson. If only footy was as easy as some think.

And my opinion was it was rubbish to say he is the next Hudson. That is an opinion. My opinion of you is that there is a BM1 and a BM2. 2 has come out to play today. I hope 1 comes out tomorrow afterall it is xmas.

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

He is not the next Hudson, he is the first Mc. Cartin. What Paddy can do however is when the situation arises he seems able to manoeuvre his arse/body to gain the advantage over the opposition. I don't believe you can teach this skill, it's a gift that the great one on one players have. Hudson came to mind. How often was he able to take a mark ridiculously easy by somehow manoeuvring his opposition out of position. I tend to think Paddy has that same innate ability. That's why he was rated top 2.
Just my humble opinion of course.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote:He is not the next Hudson, he is the first Mc. Cartin. What Paddy can do however is when the situation arises he seems able to manoeuvre his arse/body to gain the advantage over the opposition. I don't believe you can teach this skill, it's a gift that the great one on one players have. Hudson came to mind. How often was he able to take a mark ridiculously easy by somehow manoeuvring his opposition out of position. I tend to think Paddy has that same innate ability. That's why he was rated top 2.
Cheers Tony.

Merry Christmas to you and your family :)

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

And to you Dr. Take off the white coat and party hard!

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Thanks for the info T74, enjoy a few single malts over the festive season.......

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
70s sainter
Club Player

tony74 wrote:And to you Dr. Take off the white coat and party hard!
So tony,
are they planning on starting paddy in the first 22 next year round 1 . Is it onwards and upwards for now on ?

Harves Man
Club Player

tony74 wrote:He is not the next Hudson, he is the first Mc. Cartin. What Paddy can do however is when the situation arises he seems able to manoeuvre his arse/body to gain the advantage over the opposition. I don't believe you can teach this skill, it's a gift that the great one on one players have. Hudson came to mind. How often was he able to take a mark ridiculously easy by somehow manoeuvring his opposition out of position. I tend to think Paddy has that same innate ability. That's why he was rated top 2.
Thanks for posting Tony74 - a lot of us really appreciate your views, especially as you get to see the boys from so close up. All the best for Christmas.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:Ben Hudson?

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

saynta wrote:Wow Hudson eh? Third best fullforward I have ever seen, after Plugger and Coleman.
I'm with you! I never saw Coleman play, so for me I'd say Hudson, second best full forward I've seen... and (yet), also the most under rated. :?

Hudson has the highest average (5.6 goals per game) of any VFL/AFL footballer.

Have a look (any Saintsationalists who are unfamiliar with Peter Hudson's career) at some of his footage (but I advise fast forwarding 'certain' parts :( ).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yD56US5enmE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzswmgKUbBg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6psNk8rlOwU

No Matthew Lloyd-esque stuffing around. Just goes back, runs in, and kicks the thing.
And used a flat punt rather than the ubiquitous drop punt.
And note the ball drop. It doesn't have very far to fall, so very little chance of stuffing up the kick. Wonderful technique. (Remember, this is the bloke who sorted out Stewie Loewe!!! :lol: )
And all the fuss of late re hands-in-the-back (or not)... Hudson used just his hips... his hands were for taking the mark.

Peter Hudson was a true footballing genius, and would have no trouble kicking bags of goals in today's game IMHO

And, if our Paddy ends up with people using his name in the same sentence as Peter Hudson... then I will be absolutely rapted... that we didn't take Petracca. :D

PS: I hope all the Sainstionalists are having a great Christmas, and best wishes for the upcoming New Year... and.... keep the faith Saintas! :D

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
tony74
SS Hall of Fame

70s sainter wrote:
So tony,
are they planning on starting paddy in the first 22 next year round 1 . Is it onwards and upwards for now on ?
I reckon you'll see him 70% of the time. Depends a bit on Carlisles fitness. Paddy not quite body fit for a full year. ( As are most of the young ones ) One more full pre season and they'll be cherry ripe for 2017.

Playon
Club Player

What? I didn't know there was room in the modern day game for taking contested marks and kicking goals, surely he wont make it :)

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:
tony74 wrote:
Long Term Injury wrote:Heard this week - cant remember where - that Paddy's endurance was matching that of Bruce in preseason. If that is true, it would be a massive improvement and a great sign of his professionalism etc. Really exciting stuff. Anyone heard anything on this, or who else is tearing it up? Tony74 any gos?
Paddy is up about 200% in body shape and strength. You will really see a difference in the way he looks. No longer a kid with a bit of baby fat, pretty lean and taut at the moment. Really working on his endurance, probably about 50% up from last year. Still having hassles with his levels as sometimes when he really pushes himself he does more harm than good and has a bit of an episode. Happened a few times so far this pre season but he's getting better knowing his own body so he'll get that right.
One things for sure, the boy can play footy. Has a touch of Hudson in him as in the ability to use his body to manoeuvre the opposition out of the way at just the right time.
Wow Hudson eh? Third best fullforward I have ever seen, after Plugger and Coleman.
You saw Coleman!!!!

What was he like to watch? If you've put him up at number 1 or 2 he was obviously worth the hype

ripplug66
Club Player

tony74 wrote:
70s sainter wrote:
So tony,
I reckon you'll see him 70% of the time. Depends a bit on Carlisles fitness. Paddy not quite body fit for a full year. ( As are most of the young ones ) One more full pre season and they'll be cherry ripe for 2017.

Can I ask why Carlisle has anything to do with McCartin playing? They surely are at opposite ends of the ground.

uptheboys
Club Player

ripplug66 wrote:
tony74 wrote:
70s sainter wrote:
So tony,

Can I ask why Carlisle has anything to do with McCartin playing? They surely are at opposite ends of the ground.
Perhaps it has to do with the structure of the team in terms of size and speed, Having lots of big KPD's would reduce our running capacity and if Carlisle is fit playing in the Backline and we are very tall down there the club may opt to have one less KPD (Mccartin) in the forward line in order to be more mobile and provide more run.

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
ripplug66 wrote: There are many who weren't great trainers. Plugger, Carey and many others. There was also many who were the best trainers. Harvey, Lenny and also many others. Some could train forever and never make it and also the exact opposite. These days most players do no more or less than the club wants them to do.
I would hope that they do no more fitness training than our club fitness team design for them.

Banger used to "overtrain". Going for runs post-game if he did not feel he worked hard enough. But overtraining can do a lot of damage, while not achieving any extra fitness.

His hammy's were the better for following modern training programs.

Training today is a lot more of a science and part of that is that is also that a lot less time is required to achieve the same results.
The Zelk helped Banger with some of the changes in technique and loading that helped him get past the hamstring problem.

Arsene Wenger is generally credited with introducing, or at least greatly raising the emphasis on, science to the EPL.

Arsene Wenger wrote a reference for The Zelk.

Did fine work in his field, with a lot of athletes, The Zelk.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
ripplug66
Club Player

uptheboys wrote:
ripplug66 wrote:
tony74 wrote:
70s sainter wrote:
So tony,

Perhaps it has to do with the structure of the team in terms of size and speed, Having lots of big KPD's would reduce our running capacity and if Carlisle is fit playing in the Backline and we are very tall down there the club may opt to have one less KPD (Mccartin) in the forward line in order to be more mobile and provide more run.

I read what you say but it still makes no sense unless we have recruited McCartin and Carlisle hoping only one plays.