Rookie upgrade via Carlisle ban

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Which rookie should we upgrade for 2016?

Nick O'Kearney
44%
Josh Saunders
15%
Nick Coughlan
12%
Brenton Payne
3%
Jason Holmes
25%

Total votes: 59

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Re: Rookie upgrade via Carlisle ban

Who would we want?

Ain't much left.... Spencer

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Who would we want?

Ain't much left.... Spencer
Yep, not much left. Not worth sooking about tbh, direct your energies elsewhere.

SuperDuper
Club Player

Ken Hinkley is right,

We wont be on the hook for all of Carlisles' wage... that would not make sense... so we have cash...

We should get an extra player on our list with rookie rights, i.e. we can draft them next year.... that would be a minimal compensation frr our loss, which was not our own doing,

Yes, the chances of a good player are small... but we could put a 19-23 year old from VFL/SANFL/WAFl on our list and take that chance.. nothing lost if they are no good...

It is prety well certain that there is someone in that age range who is not on a list but who will become a good AFL standard player (history tells us this)... but that person will be by definition a late bloomer... so it is still not easy to pick which one it wil be

the odds of us picking the right person are longish but we have nothing to lose... do some scouting, take a punt, and hope for a Milney

nothing lost if he is delisted in October... but recruiting is a numbers game and we should have a list size as large as other clubs, because some roughies do make it

ripplug66
Club Player

SuperDuper wrote:Ken Hinkley is right,

We wont be on the hook for all of Carlisles' wage... that would not make sense... so we have cash...

We should get an extra player on our list with rookie rights, i.e. we can draft them next year.... that would be a minimal compensation frr our loss, which was not our own doing,

Yes, the chances of a good player are small... but we could put a 19-23 year old from VFL/SANFL/WAFl on our list and take that chance.. nothing lost if they are no good...

It is prety well certain that there is someone in that age range who is not on a list but who will become a good AFL standard player (history tells us this)... but that person will be by definition a late bloomer... so it is still not easy to pick which one it wil be

the odds of us picking the right person are longish but we have nothing to lose... do some scouting, take a punt, and hope for a Milney

nothing lost if he is delisted in October... but recruiting is a numbers game and we should have a list size as large as other clubs, because some roughies do make it

There is no way if we got permission that we will have a player after October or rights to that player. And the player has to have been on a list in the last 2 years unless he is Sandy player. It is a complete waste of at least 70K. A 19 year old could only be a sandy player. Maybe we could get White back. These guys would be no whee near AFL fit so they would most likely start and finish the year at Sandy. Older guys are a waste of time for us but not Essendon and yes I know you didn't mention older guys. I would spew if we wasted at least 70K for a sandy guy.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Alan Richardson ‏@AlanRichardson 3m3 minutes ago
@daz13a @AFL @stkildafc g'day fax. Still working thru with AFL. We would like the opportunity to replace the upgrade rookie

Playon
Club Player

Well proper compensation would be that we can take a Bombers listed player of equal value for the time of the suspension.

Do I see if happening, no, but it would penalize the cheaters and not the clubs who didn't

minneapolis
Club Player

I would pick the best kick.

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

We chose to recruit a cheat.... It's our problem.

Buyer beware.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:We chose to recruit a cheat.... It's our problem.

Buyer beware.
Have to agree with you there.

I said at the time that giving up pick 5 for a guy likely to get suspended would end in tears.

It has.

ripplug66
Club Player

saynta wrote:
BigMart wrote:We chose to recruit a cheat.... It's our problem.

Buyer beware.
Have to agree with you there.

I said at the time that giving up pick 5 for a guy likely to get suspended would end in tears.

It has.

It didn't stop at pick 5 but it does sound better if you want to be negative. And it hasn't ended in tears just yet. The guy just turned 24. As ive said many times some people would rather be right and if them being right effects the club they still don't care. You rate Ross as a player, I don't and I hope for our club you are 100% right.

As for being a cheat well I still don't buy it but many do. I believe just about every AFL player would have been a cheat in the same circumstances.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

And then they would receive the same consequences... A cheats consequence, being banned!

They injected a drug for the purpose of improving performance. It's really that simple.

Jake did it... He cheated and was banned.

It's not about being right... It's fact

Btw
5 + 24 for Carlisle and 14 (18)

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:And then they would receive the same consequences... A cheats consequence, being banned!

They injected a drug for the purpose of improving performance. It's really that simple.

Btw
I still don't think it was a terrible trade

ripplug66
Club Player

BigMart wrote:And then they would receive the same consequences... A cheats consequence, being banned!

Btw

Ive said this to a few people so I will say it to you as well. If you class him as a cheat do you want him to be at our club? Even when he does his time he will still be a cheat.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

In my mind it was the club who cheated, not the players. The club should be punished accordingly..

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Do the players get educated on drug us?

Did the substance go into their bodies?

Did they declare it to the drug testers?

Are athletes responsible for their own actions?

Club was punished for governance, draft picks and fine, hird was suspended for a year.... Players should have got 2

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

BigMart wrote: Club was punished for governance, draft picks and fine, hird was suspended for a year.... Players should have got 2
They did get two

You are garbage - Enough said
loris
Saintsational Legend

Saints have now joined Port Power in wanting the option of a top-up player. Say they may not use it but want the OPTION!

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

loris wrote:Saints have now joined Port Power in wanting the option of a top-up player. Say they may not use it but want the OPTION!
I wonder if they have anyone in mind? You would think it would have to be a big key defender to replace Carlisle - but who?

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Just did a bit of a search of possible mature agers fitting the bill and I dont think this lad was drafted.

PAT LEVICKI
Norwood, 23, 196cm, 90kg
The powerfully-built tall defender impressed with his high-leaping at the SA state combine, registering a 91cm running jump and 76cm standing vertical jump. The mobile big man played only one senior SANFL game last year, which spurred him to undertake a huge pre-season program where he bulked up and also improved his running and kicking. Levicki appeared in 14 senior matches in a breakout 2015 and flew onto recruiters' radars.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Just did a bit of a search of possible mature agers fitting the bill and I dont think this lad was drafted.

PAT LEVICKI
Norwood, 23, 196cm, 90kg
The powerfully-built tall defender impressed with his high-leaping at the SA state combine, registering a 91cm running jump and 76cm standing vertical jump. The mobile big man played only one senior SANFL game last year, which spurred him to undertake a huge pre-season program where he bulked up and also improved his running and kicking. Levicki appeared in 14 senior matches in a breakout 2015 and flew onto recruiters' radars.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Are'nt the Dons restricted to who they can call up? Does'nt it have to be someone who has already played AFL? Or am I wrong there?

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Essendon have stated they are struggling to find tall players to replace the talls that got suspended.

PAT LEVICKI might be on their radar. If he doesn't fit the AFL's criteria for top ups, the cheats can apply to the AFL
for permission to recruit him.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:Saints have now joined Port Power in wanting the option of a top-up player. Say they may not use it but want the OPTION!
Richo's tweet said they were working with the AFL to be able to put on another rookie. Unless they want both options. Or perhaps its to support Port's push for another one or two players - Richo will still have a soft spot for Port and its players.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Saints43 wrote:
ripplug66 wrote:[ cant see why you and SP are whinging. Is it because Essendon are getting some rejects?
It's because they have access to a greater range of players than we have, even though they are the cause of the problem. As I've already stated.

I don't care whether we would exercise the option to pick up an uncontracted player or not. That's not the point. The point is that we don't have the option and they do.

Do you think they - the drug cheats responsible for the issue - should have more (even if they are not necessarily much better) options than us?
I'm with you, S43. It's not particularly adequate compensation. Particularly after we traded a top 10 draft pick for a player who is not even eligible to play for an entire year.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Carlisle not playing this year may halt our progress in the short term, but then again, we will play other sides who have also been weakened by the WADA outcome. For example, we should beat Essendon twice and build a massive percentage both times, Port will be severely weakened without Monfries and Ryder who both kill us, Bulldogs lose their FF and a depth player, and Melbourne have lost a player also. We may have won more games without Carlisle, but then we might have been beaten by Essendon and the Bulldogs this year, and now we might not be. We will certainly fare a lot better against Port over there without Ryder and Monfries. Don't think we'll win it, but it should be a lot closer. In real terms we might even come out ahead when we consider that it gives Lee and Delaney a chance to prove themselves, and it gives a rookie a second chance - I hope it's Josh Saunders personally. I'd rather us develop a guy who is already on lour rookie list to be honest.
It also gives Carlisle time to get over his knee tendonitis which can be debilitating. A year off without injury, providing he keeps himself fit could be beneficial in the long run.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.