Dustin Martin

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Freebird
Club Player

Re: Dustin Martin

dragit wrote:Just because someone is claiming to be a victim does not make them a victim.
Not if you're white male but she is female

IanRush
SS Hall of Fame

Freebird wrote:
ripplug66 wrote:
IanRush wrote:I’m a bit suss on this case. The chick involved worked at Channel 7 and the media of late have been wanting to make ‘violence against women’ an issue. Rosie Batty (who I am NOT a fan of) had just been to Vic Parliament in the week leading up to this.

Unless Dustin is a complete farkwit, most sane people don’t yell/threaten another, unless forced to, or they lose their cool too easily.

I’m sceptical on this, the ‘build up’ to the actual incident would be good to know.

Unbelievable crap. You need to stop looking for a conspiracy as the first point. Look at some facts first surely.
I think your haste to belittle someone was again unwarranted...What facts do you have to label IR a liar?
Mark Latham has had a crack at Rosie Batty, people aren't alone in calling this out. The real issue with Rosie is that she should be fighting Mental illness, not 'domestic violence':

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertainme ... 4c2a5240d6

Mr Latham took on the domestic violence debate, saying he had spoken to a lot of women who were asking why there had been such a “big national push” to stop domestic violence.

In recognising it had come from the work that Rosie Batty has been doing in her role as Australian of the Year, he described her as a “spokeswoman for the left feminist movement”.

He began attacking her, and the way the domestic violence debate had been shaped in Australia

“A lot of Australians are asking how did that tragedy where a lunatic drugged-out father sadly maliciously killed his own son - how’s that morphed into a generalised campaign against all Australian men?

USELESS FACT: The WADA case against Essendon (in Sydney as well) is exactly 10 years to the day that Australia qualified for the 2006 FIFA World Cup.
miskycat
Club Player

Let me get this right. You are quoting Mark Latham's rant as 'evidence' that you were right?

I am checking because I can't believe that anyone would do this.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

miskycat wrote:Let me get this right. You are quoting Mark Latham's rant as 'evidence' that you were right?

White middle aged men are concerned that their power is waining and will site anything including a true fool like Latham.

Yes white middle aged men are the victim here - FFS :roll: :roll:

You are garbage - Enough said
IanRush
SS Hall of Fame

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
miskycat wrote:Let me get this right. You are quoting Mark Latham's rant as 'evidence' that you were right?

White middle aged men are concerned that their power is waining and will site anything including a true fool like Latham.

Yes white middle aged men are the victim here - FFS :roll: :roll:
Not really.......... I am saying that Rosie Batty’s agenda is not as legit/pure, as it seems!

If she wanted to leave a real legacy for her son’s death, then she should be fighting mental illness. It’s clear that the father had mental illness issues leading up to that Tyabb incident.

The domestic violence angle she has taken is not quite kocher. Plus I have this sense that she is “anti-male”.

Latham may not be 100% right, but I’ll defend his right to say it.

USELESS FACT: The WADA case against Essendon (in Sydney as well) is exactly 10 years to the day that Australia qualified for the 2006 FIFA World Cup.
sainters4eva
Club Player

and I have the sense you are a female hater IR, particularly when you keep referring to people of the female gender as 'chicks'.

IanRush
SS Hall of Fame

sainters4eva wrote:and I have the sense you are a female hater IR, particularly when you keep referring to people of the female gender as 'chicks'.
Political correctness gone too far mate, if you think like that.

sainters4eva
Club Player

That's your perception IR. Political correctness still has a long way to go.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Mark Latham being used as supporting evidence is plunging this forum to depths never seen before. And that's saying something!

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:What's martin's version?
So dude after the festival I'm in total feel good mode. Me and me mate need to get me grub on so we to Mr Miyagi's for Jap crap. Yeah like Karate Kid - so grouse. I'm doing that thing with chopsticks like in the movie - trying to catch a fly. Called myself Dustin-sun in a Japanese accent. Frickin hilarious. I could tell how everyone was staring at me that they were fascinated with what I was up to. I'm used to this every week during footy season so no biggy for me. Then I get the idea to do a walrus with the chopsticks. How do I think of this stuff. I know I'm killing it as everyone is laughing at me. Need to keep going to the dunny however - all those shots I guess. I can see people are loving being touched by an AFL player when I sway into them passing their table. Cept for this one chick. Gets right up in my grill. I try and defuse the situation and say "Beginners luck" in my Japanese accent and snap the chopsticks near her face like catching a fly (cos she's as annoying as fly) But the bitch doesn't get the joke and gets angrier. I"I bet you don't like Walrus either!" I shout feeling hurt with how she doesn't appreciate these majestic creatures. Some people are just insenstive bogans. I say loudly "I'm killing it" meaning everyone is loving my humour and I'm bring some real feel-goods to these lives of these nobodies here. Then I say to her "I'll kill you" meaning I'll put a show that even this uptight cow will have to admit is funny.

I go to do Daniel-suns amazing crane karate pose at the end of the movie where he made the most amazing move and beat that s***-head Johnny who thought he was so good but didn't have the inscrutable Mr Miyagi training him - just like me in this restaurant! Spooky. I lose my balance and slam my hand into the wall. She says she just wants to speak to me about how I'm behaving and I know that means she wants to interview me because everyone wants to interview me who's a star footballer and have such a provocative, out there hairstyle that makes me a style leader for the young people of today who need leaders like me. I prepare myself for the interview by having another couple of shots to be nice and relaxed and everything goes black.

The next day the club made me apologise to her I guess because she was unhappy she didn't get her interview. Well there is only so much I can give my adoring public you know. I am so misunderstood

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

IanRush wrote:
Mr Latham took on the domestic violence debate, saying he had spoken to a lot of women who were asking why there had been such a “big national push” to stop domestic violence.
Any person with a reasonable level of intelligence would understand the implication of that statement.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

IanRush wrote:
Where's the bucket, Beatrice?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Moods
Saintsational Legend

IanRush wrote:
Who's trying to stop him from saying it? No-one as far as I can tell. In fact a major Melbourne radio station has even given him a platform to say it - it's just that everyone thinks he's a tool. He thinks he speaks for the common man, well in actual fact he speaks for the uneducated bogans. He's an embarrassment to our country as far as I'm concerned. To think he was a leader of one our political parties is scary.

IanRush
SS Hall of Fame

sainters4eva wrote:That's your perception IR. Political correctness still has a long way to go.
The issue being, if you think the term "Chicks" is derogatory, then the term "Blokes" is derogatory too now, is it? That's what you are in effect, saying.

Freebird
Club Player

Girls call other girls chicks....political correctness is fine but seriously

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Whats all this got to do with Dustin Martin?

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Insightful article on masculine culture. An angle on where the psychology of abusive males comes from."

“Violence is overwhelmingly a male problem, and the roots for this appear to be primarily social,” a London Commission on Violence and Children found. “If boys are taught that they can’t cry when their sisters can, it’s not surprising they hit instead.”

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2016/j ... -australia

IanRush
SS Hall of Fame

st.byron wrote:Insightful article on masculine culture. An angle on where the psychology of abusive males comes from."

“Violence is overwhelmingly a male problem, and the roots for this appear to be primarily social,” a London Commission on Violence and Children found. “If boys are taught that they can’t cry when their sisters can, it’s not surprising they hit instead.”

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2016/j ... -australia
Funny timing on that one mate

http://www.theage.com.au/federal-politi ... mjico.html

From violent misogynists to Holocaust deniers, those who have been denied an Australian visa
Date
February 2, 2016 - 2:39PM
• 314 reading now
• Read later

Fergus Hunter
Reporter
View more articles from Fergus Hunter

The impromptu Australian sojourn of "neo-masculinist" Daryush Valizadeh could be over before it begins, after Immigration Minister Peter Dutton revealed the American had not applied for a visa and would probably be denied one if he did.

Mr Valizadeh wouldn't be the first controversial figure to be barred from entering the country. From abusive boxers to Holocaust deniers, the list of rejects is long and not particularly distinguished.

Jeff Allen
Last month, "pick-up artist" Jeff Allen had his visa cancelled on character grounds. He has joked about his "rape van", used foul and abusive language about women, and is associated with the group Real Social Dynamics, which has advocated for the use of violence against women

Julien Blanc
Julien Blanc, another self-styled pick-up artist of Real Social Dynamics, was forced out of Australia in 2014. His methods - advocated to his followers - include choking women and forcing their heads into his groin.

Chris Brown
Rapper Chris Brown was denied a visa in December for his history of domestic violence. In 2009, Brown was convicted of assaulting and threatening to kill then-girlfriend Rihanna. He protested the decision, saying he could raise awareness of domestic violence. He is now a suspect in an assault case involving a female fan.

Troy Newman
American anti-abortion activist Troy Newman flew to Australia in October last year despite his visa being cancelled. He was deported on the grounds that his presence would be "a threat to good order" and his views could lead to protests endangering women seeking abortions and the medical staff performing the procedures.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:
IanRush wrote:
Who's trying to stop him from saying it? No-one as far as I can tell. In fact a major Melbourne radio station has even given him a platform to say it - it's just that everyone thinks he's a tool. He thinks he speaks for the common man, well in actual fact he speaks for the uneducated bogans. He's an embarrassment to our country as far as I'm concerned. To think he was a leader of one our political parties is scary.
He's just a f****** headkicker . Always was, always will be. Scum.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

You are garbage - Enough said
ctqs
Club Player

http://www.theage.com.au/national/afls- ... mlbrd.html

AFL's Dustin Martin said sorry, so why does the victim feel betrayed?

John Silvester
Published: February 5, 2016 - 10:46PM

My father was a policeman who believed passionately in the rule of law. And this meant if anyone tried to interfere in the process he would become extremely cross and they would become extremely sad.

Many years ago a senior VFL figure strayed over the line when Fred was investigating a potential crime involving the football industry. The official, used to getting his own way, suggested how the case should be handled. This was a mistake.

As I was told by another source Fred (then a chief inspector) looked over his glasses and threatened to arrest a particular umpire who failed to pay sufficient free kicks to Hawthorn's Leigh Matthews the previous weekend adding, "Because if you want to do my job I will do yours."

End of conversation.

But the world has changed and senior police, like opening batsmen, are determined to build partnerships. This, in most cases, is a good thing.

Take banks for example. There were armed robberies at branches virtually every day until a massive investment in security made bank robbers nearly extinct. (This process was accelerated by the armed robbery squad, which took to shooting a few as well).

Which brings us to the AFL – a sporting body that has become much more. While other industries suffer cyclic reverses the AFL just seems to get bigger and richer. This has led some in the football world to have a somewhat inflated view of their role in the wider community.

The only area they haven't explored is space travel – although it wouldn't surprise if they decided to launch satellites to beam Cyril Rioli highlights into Outer Mongolia. (Mongolians, after all, love a good blind turn – have you seen their roads?).

Which brings us in a roundabout way to Richmond's Dustin Martin and the ugly incident with a female diner at a Windsor Japanese restaurant two months ago.

The woman, who is in the television news business, suggested that Dusty should calm down as he was behaving like a drunken prat.

The exact nature of what happened is unclear. She says Martin confronted her, waved a chopstick near her face and uttered threatening words.

He allegedly slammed his open hand against the wall near her head when she said she would complain to the club.

"I certainly did feel threatened physically and did feel in serious danger of physical harm," she would later tell stern-faced AFL investigators.

What is not in dispute is that she was frightened and he was out of control.

Now Dusty is an easy target. A footballer with neck tattoos who could pass for a bikie, he has overcome a challenging background to successfully harness his vast talent.

The victim (and she is a victim in more ways than one) did complain to Richmond and within hours Martin rang to apologise.

According to her Martin was contrite and sincere.

"He listened, he acknowledged how I felt and he was authentic. He knows he made a mistake and he has not shied away from that. As far as I was concerned after that phone call and apology the matter was over," she said.

The woman, who works for Channel Seven, gave a TV interview about the incident that went to air that night.

Martin did the wrong thing but tried to make it right. But there were others who should have known better who managed to make it much worse.

When the story grew legs the AFL launched an investigation and this is where it gets murky with conflicts aplenty. There was the desire to find the truth but at the same time there was a vested interest in protecting the welfare of the player and to look after the image of the game.

The woman was interviewed by AFL and Richmond investigators who later produced a document of her account that looks remarkably like a police statement – which is not surprising as they are ex-cops.

But the draft statement included a few strange paragraphs such as: "Whilst he genuinely frightened me, I do not consider this so much to be a 'violence against women issue' but an alcohol issue." And, "I don't personally want him to miss playing as I think that football is probably the only thing he has."

This is curious. Surely the statement should have been restricted to her recollections of the event rather than speculation on motives and preferred punishment. Or was this about brand protection rather than fact gathering?

During her dealings with some officials she felt pressured to downplay the event and says she was told details of Martin's private life that were, frankly, none of her business. So those who were trying to protect Martin, actually betrayed him. At one point she says an official remarked, "He could go to jail and lose his job."

"I was the one made to feel guilty," she says.

Eventually the matter was handed to police (she learnt on social media of the decision) but the case was already compromised. The victim, who had been subjected to online abuse, would not co-operate and while witnesses confirmed the ugly incident they did not hear the threatening words she claimed the footballer uttered.

So Martin, clearly chastened by what happened, is free to play footy. One report suggested he was "shattered" by how he was perceived. So he became the victim while in some eyes the victim became the villain.

She's left wishing she remained silent. While she was not touched by Martin she feels bruised by the AFL.

"Having known what I've experienced would I ever have reported it? Absolutely not. Why have I been subjected to what has felt like a criminal investigation by a sporting body for simply having the courage to report inappropriate behaviour?

"I was utterly dismayed to learn of the blatant backgrounding to journalists by the AFL in an attempt to discredit me" – to the point where it was just a case of "a drunk kid being silly".

"It quickly became clear that my welfare was not a priority. This is about protecting the image of a lucrative business for the AFL."

On the back of the Martin probe AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan asked Human Rights and Equal Opportunity Commissioner Kate Jenkins to review the league's Respect and Responsibility Policy and related matters.

(The commission long ago found that a prove, prosecute and punish policy such as the one used by the AFL simply doesn't work).

McLachlan is sincere in trying to change the culture and his decision to seek an outside review is the right one.

Jenkins completed a major review into sexual harassment and gender bias in the Victoria Police and recommended widespread changes. The review was commissioned by then chief commissioner Ken Lay, who has joined the Essendon Football Club board.

So Gill, here is a tip. Why don't you pinch him to join the AFL commission? He has worked tirelessly in the domestic violence area, has pushed gender reform and is an expert on process and unbiased investigations.

Which means I am telling the AFL how to do its job – which is exactly what they tried to do to my old man.

When it comes to football a large percentage of people simply lose their collective minds and no doubt some will see this as an attack on Martin.

It is not. He did the wrong thing and apologised. There is no reason to hang him out to dry.

But there will be those on (anti) social media who will have smoke coming out of their keyboards.

Indeed I feel sorry for our football writers, many of whom are subject to mindless abuse via the world wide web.

The exception is our recruiting and talent guru Emma Quayle. One fan wrote online he wanted to marry her because "she is really pretty and we could talk footy all day".

Now that is love.

We at The Age and Fairfax Media are told to engage with readers and embrace all channels of communication but personally I think the only tweet of any value comes from a canary down a coalmine.

Now it is not only the new media where people go a little nuts on footy as the mainstream can also lose its way.

Such as the case of a couple of Collingwood players who took sexually explicit selfies that were offered to the media.

Let's make this clear. The players may have been dumb but they didn't act illegally. (One was nude except for a pair of socks. Was this some strange foot fetish or was the floor cold? We shall never know).

From all reports the photos were sent to women consensually.

Those women appear to have provided them to Woman's Day on the proviso their identities are protected – although no doubt their names would have appeared on the once-respectable publication's chequebook.

Anonymity in the media should be used for whistleblowers, not gold diggers.

So the woman who complained about Martin is put through the wringer while those who profited from the Collingwood pictures are protected. Ain't life grand?

The two men are in relationships that may or may not be now under strain by this outrageous breach of privacy.

The publication gleefully announced its scoop with the cover blurb, "New AFL Crisis! Players Caught in Nude Photo Scandal! The pics that will break their partners' hearts."

What a pathetic way to make a living.

This story was found at: http://www.theage.com.au/national/afls- ... mlbrd.html

Still waiting for closure ... if you get my drift.
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Great article. There was more than enough there for Richmond to give him a suspension for 4 games as the wallop he needed to make straighten up and fly straight. It was the perfect opportunity. Instead they turned it into a "poor Dustin is victimised and shattered. He'll think he's bullet proof now. I can almost guarantee he will do something else as bad again.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Boy does this kid have a determination to not be playing AFL as soon as possible.

Managed to find my way to a very respectable venue last night based in South Melbourne with a Bucks party crew for a soon to be married best mate. This venue also operate a Walter White type car wash business on the corner of North & Warrigal roads.

For the hour or so I was there, Mr Martin managed to convince me that not only does he not want to be playing AFL, but he really does more than likely see his future behind bars. He just doesn't know it yet.

Keeping some ostensibly shady company, drinking consistently, being aggressive (physically bumping other guys walking past) and verbally confronting a mate of mine that was negotiating a business transaction with one of the floor staff for our buck, as he was also interested in her offerings.

Surely Richmond are aware of this behavior. The place was packed and crawling with plain clothed cops given the recent unsavoury incidents that occurred at this venue. Word must get back to them.
They are either losing the battle to control this lunatic, or they don't care and will utilise his abilities until it catches up to him. I predict 2016 to be his last in the AFL.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:Boy does this kid have a determination to not be playing AFL as soon as possible.

Managed to find my way to a very respectable venue last night based in South Melbourne with a Bucks party crew for a soon to be married best mate. This venue also operate a Walter White type car wash business on the corner of North & Warrigal roads.

For the hour or so I was there, Mr Martin managed to convince me that not only does he not want to be playing AFL, but he really does more than likely see his future behind bars. He just doesn't know it yet.

Keeping some ostensibly shady company, drinking consistently, being aggressive (physically bumping other guys walking past) and verbally confronting a mate of mine that was negotiating a business transaction with one of the floor staff for our buck, as he was also interested in her offerings.

Surely Richmond are aware of this behavior. The place was packed and crawling with plain clothed cops given the recent unsavoury incidents that occurred at this venue. Word must get back to them.
They are either losing the battle to control this lunatic, or they don't care and will utilise his abilities until it catches up to him. I predict 2016 to be his last in the AFL.
The knob obviously feels empowered.

Rather than learn his lesson and be grateful that he got away with it he has decided to go the other direction.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

While this idiot is about we may not feel as bad about getting Carlisle!