Who is going to Friday Intra Club?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Re: Who is going to Friday Intra Club?

Only in the f50
Around the ground - no
On the ground - yes
Footy vernacular is not always literal in meaning

Semantics yes, but that's what you resort to... Plugger

ripplug66
Club Player

BigMart wrote:Only in the f50
Around the ground - no
On the ground - yes
Footy vernacular is not always literal in meaning

Semantics yes, but that's what you resort to... Plugger

And you resort to posts that clearly make no sense. I have no idea what any of that means.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I thought

Acres, Ross, Templeton and Billings excellent

McCartin, Lee, Weller (until inj), Savage showed good signs

Montagna, Fisher, Dempster
Expectedly good

Very happy with White and Gresham.

Sinclair, Lonie, Hickey, Minchinton glimpses

Bruce OK, he competed as did Shenton

Curren was pretty good, Saunders as usually full of effort but sloppy.

Biggest plus
Ross
Will go from C Grade to B Grade
Acres
Will go from fringe to 18
Webster gave good run, carry and use

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Biggest plus
Ross
Will go from C Grade to B Grade
I hope you're right, we've been waiting a while for him. This will be his 5th year of senior footy and he's only played 37 games. Brad Hill was taken a few picks later in the same draft and has 75 games and 3 premierships under his belt. Others from later in his draft year with more games: Yeo, Merrett, Newnes, Webster, Rowe, J Murdoch, Dickson, Neale, Witts, Sutcliffe, Sexton, Hall, Clarke, Laird, Spurr, Bell, Williams, Crisp, Baguley, Blicavs, Gibson, Pearce, Cunningham.

Full disclosure: I don't rate the guy on what I've seen from him so far. But would love to be proved wrong this year.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Seb Ross just strikes me as one of those blokes, by hook or by crook, by persistence, is going to make it in the afl. Just seems determined. Not the quickest or best kick around but seems strong as an ox and just plain determined.

Playon
Club Player

I haven't seen Minchington mentioned anywhere, did he play?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

<<<<< MOD EDIT >>>>

Post deleted. Entirely about tit for tat bickering.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Playon wrote:I haven't seen Minchington mentioned anywhere, did he play?
Yes but I didn't think he did much (which is a pity as I was hoping he could also take the next step).

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Mart, I deleted the content of your last post in this thread. Unlike the previous time when you thought I deleted a post and I didn't, this time I have. Am thoroughly and entirely fed up with the bickering.

OVER. IT. Post on the topic, not on other posters. Thanks. People want to read about how the players went in their first hit-out, not your petty insults and boring bickering. It's deadly boring and a blight on the forum. Many posters have said they avoid the forum because it's full of bickering and personal insults. That post was exactly what they're talking about.

Playon
Club Player

Jacks Back wrote:
Playon wrote:I haven't seen Minchington mentioned anywhere, did he play?
Yes but I didn't think he did much (which is a pity as I was hoping he could also take the next step).
After the way he finished last year, thought he might show further improvement and put his hand up.
Perhaps he'll get a chance in the NAB cub

#gosaintas
Club Player

Minch didn't get the ball much but every time he did he drilled his kicks. Kicks it like a bullet. Such a weapon but he needs more possies or he won't make it

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Meh!
Wake me up when we play em at Moorabbin again!

Should always have been played there.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

So no Carlisle. If one of Fisher or Dempster is injured does Tommy Lee come straight in down back? Or does Tommy Lee play some games anyway if we dont want to rush Goddard?

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

I didn't notice Minch a lot but I was having trouble differentiating the yellow's smaller players - minch, gresham, curren. My problem with Minch is, like Curren and Saunders, I struggle to see where his position is. They are kind of good all rounders without a specialty. But then I suppose we need to take a breath with Lonie and Sinclair as small fwd/onballers. They've only had one good year and can't count the chickens on them yet. We saw with Eli things can go a bit pear shaped for a variety of reasons - injuries, second/third year blues, loss of form, lack of dedication and self-motivation, lure of off-field activities. Good onfield form is impossible to keep out of the firsts so Minch just needs to keep his good form from last year going and see if Lonie, Sinclair, Eli or Weller drop off a bit and a posi opens up for him.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Video highlights uploaded
http://www.saints.com.au/video/2016-02- ... highlights

and some player interviews

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

news item at 33 min of Tenplay news from Feb 12th
http://tenplay.com.au/news/melbourne

Clever lead in was a picture of Young James kicking the ball - Saints taking their youth policy to extremes.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Gershwin
Club Player

This is my mate's summary of the game. He usually knows what he is talking about:

"There was a good crowd down at Sandy for the 5pm “kick off” to the season and supports the view that there are plenty of members and fans out there… It’s been a long break and together with the crowd I was really looking forward to seeing something live even if it was only an intra club practice match. I imagine there was about 2,000 people down there – way more than a Sandy VFL game attendance. The ground announcer encouraged fans to go out on the ground to listen to the coaches at the breaks and there were mascots and give aways for the crowd and everyone was in good spirits.

The thing that impressed was the number of young players on the list – particularly with some regulars not having a run eg. 3 7 12 14 18 20 giving opportunities to others. And some youngsters showed some good form too. The players looked slimmer than last year except for a couple of the kids who have bulked up a bit.

Billings – he used the ball so well at every occasion and spent most time in the midfield as an outside mid. Kicked one goal from the boundary on his wrong side with the southerly wind blowing OUT from the goal square but still managed to dob it from 40 metres out! Lots of good passing by foot as well as by hand. He looks a bit stronger too and if he can stay fit he should be a very good player for 2016. I guess he will need to learn how to work with a tagging player which won’t be easy for a youngster but in this game he was a class above the rest.

Paddy – also looks stronger and he surprised me how far up the ground he works, even jumping into marking contests back of the wing! Then worked all the way back and he did that pretty well so he seems to have improved his fitness. His marking was good too but he had plenty of congestion to work through which limited his chances. Someone needs to suggest to him to go for goal more often instead of dishing off which he did to a FAULT.

Goddard – didn’t do a lot but he was ok. Saunders worked hard but was shabby at times.
Lee - tried to rough up Paddy but was too frightened to go on with it! He kicked the ball very well and since moving to defence he loves to select the ambitious option. I have reservations about his strength to take on an AFL forward but he looked better than Delaney. Roberton was good and Fisher was the best defender.

Newnes looked super fit … Weller also and both did good work. Ross was ok and I liked Acres’ game. Eli was good early, Joey was good all day and Gresham was on him early. Joey is taller than Gresham! The new boy got plenty of the ball and he has the smarts to be a good player even this year if there is room in the team. He has very strong legs and in fact he looks pretty physical and he got behind the defence one time after making a searching run out of the centre in a 100 metre sprint to get on the end of a pass and goal. I thought he was going to get cleaned up at one point but he rode the bump and got away - lucky it was an intra club match …! He is smart, uses the ball well, seems to find some time and looks like he wants to kick a goal which is a good instinct for a midfielder. Probably he could be a replacement for Joey one day. McKenzie didn’t do much, nor Murdoch.

Bruce was good, also Sinclair and Lonie. Those guys are going to give a few back men some headaches this year. Holmes was easily the best ruck out of Hickey and Pierce and always gave his side first use. I suspect he may be elevated for Carlisle. Savage was really good too and Gilbert was good in the midfield picking up numerous possessions and then turning it over! He could be a really handy tall midfielder but if he continues to pick out the opposition then he won’t have a future. Shenton started forward and he looked dangerous at times. Webster was ok in defence too.

All in all it was a good hit out and will be interesting to see how they fare against the Roos this week in the NAB Cup. Selection will be interesting as there are so many pressing up which is a good thing."

summertime and the living is easy ........
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Gershwin wrote:This is my mate's summary of the game. He usually knows what he is talking about:

"There was a good crowd down at Sandy for the 5pm “kick off” to the season and supports the view that there are plenty of members and fans out there… It’s been a long break and together with the crowd I was really looking forward to seeing something live even if it was only an intra club practice match. I imagine there was about 2,000 people down there – way more than a Sandy VFL game attendance. The ground announcer encouraged fans to go out on the ground to listen to the coaches at the breaks and there were mascots and give aways for the crowd and everyone was in good spirits.

The thing that impressed was the number of young players on the list – particularly with some regulars not having a run eg. 3 7 12 14 18 20 giving opportunities to others. And some youngsters showed some good form too. The players looked slimmer than last year except for a couple of the kids who have bulked up a bit.

Billings – he used the ball so well at every occasion and spent most time in the midfield as an outside mid. Kicked one goal from the boundary on his wrong side with the southerly wind blowing OUT from the goal square but still managed to dob it from 40 metres out! Lots of good passing by foot as well as by hand. He looks a bit stronger too and if he can stay fit he should be a very good player for 2016. I guess he will need to learn how to work with a tagging player which won’t be easy for a youngster but in this game he was a class above the rest.

Paddy – also looks stronger and he surprised me how far up the ground he works, even jumping into marking contests back of the wing! Then worked all the way back and he did that pretty well so he seems to have improved his fitness. His marking was good too but he had plenty of congestion to work through which limited his chances. Someone needs to suggest to him to go for goal more often instead of dishing off which he did to a FAULT.

Goddard – didn’t do a lot but he was ok. Saunders worked hard but was shabby at times.
Lee - tried to rough up Paddy but was too frightened to go on with it! He kicked the ball very well and since moving to defence he loves to select the ambitious option. I have reservations about his strength to take on an AFL forward but he looked better than Delaney. Roberton was good and Fisher was the best defender.

Newnes looked super fit … Weller also and both did good work. Ross was ok and I liked Acres’ game. Eli was good early, Joey was good all day and Gresham was on him early. Joey is taller than Gresham! The new boy got plenty of the ball and he has the smarts to be a good player even this year if there is room in the team. He has very strong legs and in fact he looks pretty physical and he got behind the defence one time after making a searching run out of the centre in a 100 metre sprint to get on the end of a pass and goal. I thought he was going to get cleaned up at one point but he rode the bump and got away - lucky it was an intra club match …! He is smart, uses the ball well, seems to find some time and looks like he wants to kick a goal which is a good instinct for a midfielder. Probably he could be a replacement for Joey one day. McKenzie didn’t do much, nor Murdoch.

Bruce was good, also Sinclair and Lonie. Those guys are going to give a few back men some headaches this year. Holmes was easily the best ruck out of Hickey and Pierce and always gave his side first use. I suspect he may be elevated for Carlisle. Savage was really good too and Gilbert was good in the midfield picking up numerous possessions and then turning it over! He could be a really handy tall midfielder but if he continues to pick out the opposition then he won’t have a future. Shenton started forward and he looked dangerous at times. Webster was ok in defence too.

All in all it was a good hit out and will be interesting to see how they fare against the Roos this week in the NAB Cup. Selection will be interesting as there are so many pressing up which is a good thing."
Thanks for sharing. Thanks to your mate for the report. Good stuff.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

St Byron

Did you delete that post or not? I'm pretty sure you did?!

I don't care if you 'moderate' me... Just make sure you apply the same rules to others, that's all. Your obvious bias makes you seem like you have an agenda.
It'd be interesting if a person stood up to me and/or abused or lied about me in a post, whether you'd delete it??

Hang on, they do??? And it all good yeah....

Just be fair I reckon

ripplug66
Club Player

Be interesting if they pick many of the older guys on Saturday. I doubt they will.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Is anyone heading to Wang?