NAB Match Thread v Roos

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ripplug66
Club Player

Re: NAB Match Thread v Roos

Bluthy wrote:
spert wrote:The trouble we will have this season, as we had last season, will be our midfield can't hurt the opposition by hand or foot, nor break lines and get involved in goal scoring enough. Ross had a good go yesterday, but he is not a damaging mid. I thought our setups at the centre bounces was pretty poor from a defensive point of view- too many North players all raffling the ball with no Saints near the pill far too many times. Our forward plans obviously were thrown out with the loss of Paddy early, but the plan anyway seemed to be just bang the ball in there with no real precision. Field kicking was a bad as ever.
We did ok for a young team against stronger bodies, but could have done a bit better I think, though it's just a pre season hitout.
I almost prefer Ross handballing rather than kicking, he seems more incisive with his disposal that way. But I guess you've got to give him time to get his confidence going after being injury interrupted. He's only played mid 30 games I think and no amount of decision making video drills can match the heat of battle to hone your decision making. With that rangey stride Acres can really cover the ground. Loved the way he pushed forward yesterday. With his height and long arms he is real threat forward. I think when he acclimatises to the speed of AFL footy and takes that little bit more time to choose his targets his distribution will be much better and really effective. He just looks dangerous to me. I thought he might be a mid/sweeper but now I see him more as an out and out mid who pushes forward.

We want mids scoring goals. We want to average 100pts a game - no more winning games with boring 60 pts thanks Lyon! And so we need Billings, Acres, Steven, Freeman, Dunny and Gresham to be pushing forward at every opportunity to bang them in - as long they honestly work back the other way. It takes a while for these young players to get the tank to be able to push forward and then run back all game. A good structure will set up defensive measures to cover the rebound so they can risk going forward.

I doubt we won many if any games under RL with 60 points but I could be wrong. Anyway I would take a 60 point win than a 100 point loss but that's just me. As for averaging 100 points a game well we may eventually but that will only happen when we are a top 4 side. Clubs hardly ever average 100 points a game in todays footy. It just isn't that easy.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

strap yourselves in for another painful season.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

ripplug66 wrote:. A good structure will set up defensive measures to cover the rebound so they can risk going forward.

I doubt we won many if any games under RL with 60 points but I could be wrong. .[/quote]

Round 1 2008 v Swans
http://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/20 ... 80322.html

Prelim final 2009 v Dogs
http://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/20 ... 90918.html

Round 6 2010 v Dogs
http://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/20 ... 00430.html

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
ripplug66
Club Player

kosifantutti wrote:
ripplug66 wrote:. A good structure will set up defensive measures to cover the rebound so they can risk going forward.

I doubt we won many if any games under RL with 60 points but I could be wrong. .
Round 1 2008 v Swans
http://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/20 ... 80322.html

Prelim final 2009 v Dogs
http://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/20 ... 90918.html

Round 6 2010 v Dogs
http://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/20 ... 00430.html[/quote]

ok 3. It looks like a pattern then. How many did we win with 100 points?

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Not sure, but we won every game when the opposition scored less than us.

ripplug66
Club Player

kosifantutti wrote:Not sure, but we won every game when the opposition scored less than us.

What about when they kicked more goals then us?

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

They mostly won.

supersaints
Club Player

kosifantutti wrote:Not sure, but we won every game when the opposition scored less than us.
Didn't we actually score more points that the Dockers and loose a game?

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

supersaints wrote:
Didn't we actually score more points that the Dockers and loose a game?
Nope...we scored the same!