Riewoldt

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Gershwin
Club Player

Riewoldt

I've got a feeling that we are going to see a very good season from Nick. You would expect that mentally he is in a far better space than last year. He has a lovely bouncing son in James and from all reports has had a good off-season in Texas and has returned in good shape.
In the forward line he will get good support from Bruce, McCartin and Hickey and will most likely will get a run in the midfield to keep him fresh.

Bad luck aside I think he might just have another B&F in him.

summertime and the living is easy ........
spert
Saintsational Legend

Re: Riewoldt

I hope the great man has a great season, but given his age and wear and tear, I think it will be like the last two seasons- start the season with a bang then roll off a bit as the body tries but can't quite keep it up like it used to. I think we will see him as good player this season, having less influence on games, but making solid contributions.

stkfc1
Club Player

Im thinking Monty might be in for a big one too. Think swapping positions with Newnes at HBF will really help him in his final few seasons.He wont get smashed around as much so will prolong his career and gives us a cool head in the back half with reliable disposal. He'll probably lose a few yards also over the next few years so HBF will be better suited. Newnes disposal is becoming elite also and he's hard as a cats head, so need him in the middle now. Im really looking forward to seeing how he goes this year.

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

I think Dermott finally said something of value during the game last week....

It was along the lines of "the worst thing that can happen to St Kilda this year is having Nick Riewoldt dominate and kick 60% of their goals." I couldn't agree more.

I'd love to see Roo have a good year, but if he's our best player and wins a B&F, our development is a long way behind where we need it to be. We can enjoy watching go gracefully into retirement over the next year or (hopefully) two, and reflect on his amazing career. But the days of us relying on him to be our saviour have past.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

St Chris wrote: It was along the lines of "the worst thing that can happen to St Kilda this year is having Nick Riewoldt dominate and kick 60% of their goals." I couldn't agree more.
He's right, we're trying to develop a forward line for the future. Wing

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

St Chris wrote:I think Dermott finally said something of value during the game last week....

It was along the lines of "the worst thing that can happen to St Kilda this year is having Nick Riewoldt dominate and kick 60% of their goals." I couldn't agree more.

I'd love to see Roo have a good year, but if he's our best player and wins a B&F, our development is a long way behind where we need it to be. We can enjoy watching go gracefully into retirement over the next year or (hopefully) two, and reflect on his amazing career. But the days of us relying on him to be our saviour have past.
Ideally, Rooey just plays a small part of what is an emerging potent forward line. Maybe plays up the ground a fair bit too. Bruce, McCartin, Billings, Lonie, Sinclair, Riewoldt, Membrey, Hickey, Goddard (can play both ends), Minchington etc. I feel like this season a lot of spots in the seniors are up for grabs and they're going to go to the highest bidder. It's exciting.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

If he plays higher up the field as they keep saying, I don't think that really suits him. He doesn't turn well, he's got poor lateral movement because of his knees, doesn't deal with ground ball well. He really telegraphs where he kicks because he's so slow getting the ball to his boot. He'll be a great target coming out of the backline if he's pushing up on the wing or high half forward. He could even help out down back against a tall forward line. But we won't see them best of him in this position. But that is the cost of developing the future.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

Dermot is a ducking idiot
The worst thing to happen would be lose 4 or 5 blokes to serious injuries

Peanut

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Brereton plateaued too early and didn't really do much after the age of 24 - when most players start to bloom and start to hit their straps, he was already spent - his best footy was already behind him.
He probably thinks that the St Kilda youngsters will develop the same way.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

I love watching Roo dominate.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
bigred
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:I love watching Roo dominate.
Who doesn't.

He needs to be a bit player. Burst player.

Anything but being our best.... We must have some others really step up.

Jack & Jill....anyone.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
karnak
Club Player

Still want him to dominate. Just hope that there are 10 players that dominate more!!!

Sam Gilbert you are an EXCITEMENT MACHINE!
Gershwin
Club Player

I'm surprised that people find it a negative that Riewoldt might possibly have a great season and win the B&F.

Let me say that he should be seen and will be seen as a champion player who ranks in the top 5 (or 3) that we at St Kilda have ever had. We should not be ashamed or disappointed if he continues to show what a great player he is.
In saying that if age catches up with him and others pass him well and good but a fit, motivated Riewoldt will be a bonus in 2016 and won't reflect badly on other players who don't match him in performance.

I'll be happy if he dominates and wins the B&F with plenty of competition from the young guns.

summertime and the living is easy ........
gringo
Saintsational Legend

I think he will probably be refreshed getting sometime on the wings and he will be less relied upon for his scoring. Either way I'm liking the fact the rest of the football world has started to realise how good he is. There is a point where the respect comes from the wider community and he seems to have that now.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

none of our players are at his level or ever will be... we are talking perhaps the 2nd best CHF of all time... in the best 5 Saints of all time... or better... a once in a genertation player.

Who is gonna be that in our current team. Really. If we had a player of that magnitude.. we'd know already.

Billings probably on par with Dal
McCartin looks a solid proposition

in perspective... as a KPP
at Jack Billings age, he had alread won a b&f (in his first full season) at 21 he was the equal best player in the AFL.

Hogan, Bontempelli & Cameron only player in the AFL that would come close as youngsters

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:none of our players are at his level or ever will be... we are talking perhaps the 2nd best CHF of all time... in the best 5 Saints of all time... or better... a once in a genertation player.

Who is gonna be that in our current team. Really. If we had a player of that magnitude.. we'd know already.

at Jack Billings age, he had alread won a b&f (in his first full season) at 21 he was the equal best player in the AFL.

Hogan, Bontempelli & Cameron only player in the AFL that would come close as youngsters
If Riewoldt is second best CHF, can you please rate Carey and Hart?

spert
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote:
BigMart wrote:none of our players are at his level or ever will be... we are talking perhaps the 2nd best CHF of all time... in the best 5 Saints of all time... or better... a once in a genertation player.

If Riewoldt is second best CHF, can you please rate Carey and Hart?
Saw Hart and Carey play, and both were great players, but also in great teams going through strong eras. If Roo had spent his best years in a champion team, then he may well have gone down as the best CHF in history. The fact that he has played such great footy in ordinary teams at times really shows how good he is.

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

WOW Wayne Carey, (Rolls) Royce Hart and Nick Riewoldt. Very hard to decide. Given the impact Carey had on his club as a TEAM member in a TEAM sport, he goes to number 3. On pure footy ability and impact he might be @ 1. Hart was pure poetry. Watched him with awe. Riewoldt has done it harder but Hart was magnificent. I am going to hit youtube to watch his highlights. Heart says Riewoldt slightly better overalll footballer and far better leader than Hart. But my head queries whether he really could be a better footballer!

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote:WOW Wayne Carey, (Rolls) Royce Hart and Nick Riewoldt. Very hard to decide. Given the impact Carey had on his club as a TEAM member in a TEAM sport, he goes to number 3. On pure footy ability and impact he might be @ 1. Hart was pure poetry. Watched him with awe. Riewoldt has done it harder but Hart was magnificent. I am going to hit youtube to watch his highlights. Heart says Riewoldt slightly better overalll footballer and far better leader than Hart. But my head queries whether he really could be a better footballer!
Again the old "different eras" argument comes up, making comparing the 3 mentioned very difficult.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
shrodes
SS Life Member

The old fella has lost 5kg this preseason to keep up with more midfield time.

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2016-03-0 ... eady-to-go

jamesmc
Club Player

I don't understand the value in putting Riewoldt in the mid field.

In my opinion he plays in the forward line or not at all.

He is a great forward, however, he is a very poor midfielder.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Carey 1
Riewoldt 2
Hart 3
Kernahan 4

Templeton, Robran,
Brereton, Nash, Loewe, Tredrea, Brown, Grant

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Agree with James

It'll be short lived

Below his knees, Roo is poor... Not great for a mid

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Carey 1
Riewoldt 2
Hart 3
Kernahan 4

Templeton, Robran,
Brereton, Nash, Loewe, Tredrea, Brown, Grant
Agree other than Carey destroyed his team.

Also Loewe after Brown and Grant for sure

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Would rather see Roo as the 3rd tall. Keeping out Membrey etc.

Bruce CHF
McCartin FF