Riewoldt

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Re: Riewoldt

shrodes wrote:The old fella has lost 5kg this preseason to keep up with more midfield time.

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2016-03-0 ... eady-to-go

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/t ... 5ca6c468a5
The 33-year-old won a best and fairest for the Saints in 2002 holding down centre half-back, but has rarely ventured away from centre half-forward in the 13 years since.

In 2009, Riewoldt tipped the scales at 98kgs. Now, he is in the low 90s — reaffirming his commitment to improve in conjunction with the increased demands on a player’s running capacity in the modern game.

His time forward of centre has yielded 648 goals, ranked third on St Kilda’s all-time list behind Bill Mohr and Tony Lockett.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

loewe is underrated

more marks and contested marks on the game.

he also won a b&f was top 3 in about 8 b&fs won an ej whitten, kicked 90 in a season, was a captain and as courageous as they come

i rate him alongside all of those ones i placed him next to... gun player

spert
Saintsational Legend

Those old enough to have seen Doc play some games as a small CHF would probably put him in front of the lot... I would anyway

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

why

saynta
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:Dermot is a ducking idiot
The worst thing to happen would be lose 4 or 5 blokes to serious injuries

Peanut
I am very happy to be able to post

+1

saynta
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:Those old enough to have seen Doc play some games as a small CHF would probably put him in front of the lot... I would anyway
The doc was easily the cleverest footballer I have every seen.

Carey and the Doc could both win games off their own boot. Both did it repeatedly. Teddy wasn't too bad either.

George27
Club Player

I agree with Spert and Saynta . Doc was superb. In the final home and away of 66, with a bung knee, he came on as 19th man to get us over the line, into the top four - and the rest is history.

Having said that, I have Roo at CHF in my team of best ever Saints I have seen.

HF - Winmar, Riewoldt, Baldock
F- Loewe, Lockett, Milne.

Too top heavy ? I will take my chances!

As to Carey and Hart, Carey was IMO far the better of those two. Standout player. Hart very very good, but helped by those around him. Not as great as his reputation indicates, I reckon, and like Brereton peaked very early . Carey would get into that forward line of mine, but not Royce ( and he certainly would not be allowed to coach them - had a shocking stint as Doggies coach ). Just my opinion, having seen them all play.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Riewoldts numbers are just undeniable... I look at the output, not the perception.... no CHF (besides Carey) has played as well, for as long as Nick...

That simple

and if we look at peak performance... how many CHFs have emulated his 2004 and 2009

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:If he plays higher up the field as they keep saying, I don't think that really suits him. He doesn't turn well, he's got poor lateral movement because of his knees, doesn't deal with ground ball well. He really telegraphs where he kicks because he's so slow getting the ball to his boot. He'll be a great target coming out of the backline if he's pushing up on the wing or high half forward. He could even help out down back against a tall forward line. But we won't see them best of him in this position. But that is the cost of developing the future.
I would tend to think that Riewoldt would play the same game but just further up the ground and down the wings. Its a much better prospect for him. He is out of the hot spot and will.get cheaper, less pressured access to the ball. He wont need to turn. He will just switch play or dish off a hand ball. Hopefully that handball will find Gresham, Billings, Freeman Newnes or similar running past. Riewoldts role will be to set up forward entry. Heaps better for him. Much less risk and pressure. He will also still draw the best tall running backman every week and wont get smashed up in the oppositions defensive zone all the time.

The Disch
Club Player

CQ SAINT wrote:
Bluthy wrote:If he plays higher up the field as they keep saying, I don't think that really suits him. He doesn't turn well, he's got poor lateral movement because of his knees, doesn't deal with ground ball well. He really telegraphs where he kicks because he's so slow getting the ball to his boot. He'll be a great target coming out of the backline if he's pushing up on the wing or high half forward. He could even help out down back against a tall forward line. But we won't see them best of him in this position. But that is the cost of developing the future.
I would tend to think that Riewoldt would play the same game but just further up the ground and down the wings. Its a much better prospect for him. He is out of the hot spot and will.get cheaper, less pressured access to the ball. He wont need to turn. He will just switch play or dish off a hand ball. Hopefully that handball will find Gresham, Billings, Freeman Newnes or similar running past. Riewoldts role will be to set up forward entry. Heaps better for him. Much less risk and pressure. He will also still draw the best tall running backman every week and wont get smashed up in the oppositions defensive zone all the time.
This sort of talk does my head in.

Why get a player who is so not suited to a position, play that position, just because he is a club legend?

Just because 10 years ago one player [ Matthew Richardson ] managed to play a handfull of good games on the wing after a career in the forward line, doesn't mean Riewoldt will be able to do the same.

Different time, different game.

Has anyone one of you seen Riewoldts hand/ foot skills outside of the forward line? Not Good.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

The Disch wrote:
CQ SAINT wrote:

Why get a player who is so not suited to a position, play that position, just because he is a club legend?

Just because 10 years ago one player [ Matthew Richardson ] managed to play a handfull of good games on the wing after a career in the forward line, doesn't mean Riewoldt will be able to do the same.

Has anyone one of you seen Riewoldts hand/ foot skills outside of the forward line? Not Good.
Riewoldt has always been a wingman. Go back and watch round 5 v the Dogs last year to see how having Riewoldt up the ground give

A) another option up the ground
B) clears out the forward line for the big tank of Bruce to work in
C) unbalances the opposition.

As well as that Riewoldt's disposal is fine. His field kicking especially. It's not like this is the first time Riewoldt has played out of the forward line

You are garbage - Enough said
jamesmc
Club Player

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
The Disch wrote:
CQ SAINT wrote:

Riewoldt has always been a wingman. Go back and watch round 5 v the Dogs last year to see how having Riewoldt up the ground give

A) another option up the ground
B) clears out the forward line for the big tank of Bruce to work in
C) unbalances the opposition.

As well as that Riewoldt's disposal is fine. His field kicking especially. It's not like this is the first time Riewoldt has played out of the forward line
Would love to hear what people would be saying if it was Geary that shanked that kick in the dying moments of the Bullies comeback match last year. Sheer Ass that that mongrel kick found its way to Billings.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Nick is a high leading HF, who can get behind the footy or double back lead i50

A wingman he is not

If you know the role of a wingman

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

The Disch wrote:
CQ SAINT wrote:

Because he's a great target player who will rarely get outmarked and will at least bring the ball to ground. Who else do we have? Bruce and then McCartin is still green. We might well need Roo helping out down back just as a spoiler against a team of talls - remember he started as a CHB. If Goddard is given a spell in the two's then I could see Rooey supporting the backline a fair bit.

But also Rooey probably still will play forward. McCArtin most probably isn't going to play every game (may not even be ready for rd 1). Rooey may play forward early so we can chalk up a few wins and take the pressure off and then taper to playing higher up. So its a transition sort of thing rather than just "not playing forward anymore". If they wanted to play one ruckman only, its not the craziest idea to have Rooey doing some relief ruck. I'd prefer that than Bruce.

I really believe Richo has the balls to use Rooey in the best way for the development of the team and not cowtowing to him just because he's a club legend. I think Richo would even say to Rooey "its best you retire" if he felt like there wasn't a spot for him anymore. And Rooey isn't showing any ego signs. He seems determined to leave the club in the best possible position for its next flag tilt. At the moment he has a lot to contribute as a forward, higher up, as skipper and as a standard for training, professionalism and commitment.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Carey Hart and Roo? In the best for St.Kilda I am not sure he would be first.
Brian Gleeson, won 1957 Brownlow playing CHF and ruck. Then did his knee, never played again.
Darrel Baldock, won 1966 Premiership as Captain. Great but unorthodox CHF.
Stewy Loewe, great CHF and leader.
Nick Reiwoldt. How do you rate these players?

stkfc1
Club Player

At the end of the day we need to start getting used to life without Roo up forward. Luckily for us he's still got it and can play other positions, so while we still have the luxury of his imput, we can work out our forward structure for the next 5-10 years. Obviously he can still go forward when needed but I believe, as we have an undersized back six, having him float around to take intercept marks and having him as a target to get out of our defensive 50, will better serve us.

supersaints
Club Player

The Disch wrote:
CQ SAINT wrote:

Think your bring a bit unfair to Richo. He played mostly on the wing in 2008 ( actually 7 seasons ago) he came third in the brownlow and made the bench for the all Australian team, hardly a " few good games" he retired at the end of 2009.
I think the Roo has slimmeddisownn for a reason other than to fit in a smaller man-kini . While not a true wingman he pushes down the ground more often than most. I think it will do him fine, if his last two seasons are a good as "Richo's couple of good games both Roo and I would be happy with a third in the Brownlow and all Australian bench.. Sorry to do your head in a little more.

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
supersaints
Club Player

For some reason my post got into the middle of a quote apolgies but my iPhone does some strange things

My thoughts
Think your bring a bit unfair to Richo. He played mostly on the wing in 2008 ( actually 7 seasons ago) he came third in the brownlow and made the bench for the all Australian team, hardly a " few good games" he retired at the end of 2009.
I think the Roo has slimmeddisownn for a reason other than to fit in a smaller man-kini . While not a true wingman he pushes down the ground more often than most. I think it will do him fine, if his last two seasons are a good as "Richo's couple of good games both Roo and I would be happy with a third in the Brownlow and all Australian bench.. Sorry to do your head in a little more.

Go Sainters !!!!!
dragit
Saintsational Legend

"wing" isn't even a real position anymore anyway is it?

Riewoldt has been playing high already for many seasons, that's how he's been breaking opponents his entire career.

I expect more of the same, starting forward… making searching leads & provide options all over the ground.

Unless McCartin comes on in a hurry, we are still pretty light on in the forward line.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:"wing" isn't even a real position anymore anyway is it?

Riewoldt has been playing high already for many seasons, that's how he's been breaking opponents his entire career.

I expect more of the same, starting forward… making searching leads & provide options all over the ground.

Unless McCartin comes on in a hurry, we are still pretty light on in the forward line.
Yeah but towards the end of last year Rooey was pushing damn high, into the backflank/backline a lot. He was obviously instructed to keep out of the forward line to give the youngsters some space. It left Bruce pretty isolated. I think Rooey might start playing forward a bit but transition higher again as the season goes on particularly if McCartin proves a solid target.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Remember the first game in Wellington vs Sydney a few years ago?

He was all over the place that night, spent heaps of time running through the back 50…

I don't think playing high will be a new concept for him, tis' why he averages so many marks.

supersaints
Club Player

Bumped...
Seeing Roos form is currently possible AA ... Humble pie anyone?

Go Sainters !!!!!
Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

It really is impossible to compare players and positions from a bygon era.

CHF and Wing had a very different meaning 30, 40 & 50 years ago.

Baldock was a superstar CHF, but he was more like Daicos or Dangerfield, but he never went up the ground. He was always within 40-80 meters of our goal. The stay at home forward no longer exists.

Royce Hart was quite classy or silky, but was only around for a few seasons. He played a couple of nice final series but didn't dominate for a generation.

Wayne Carey was pretty good, although I've always disliked him. He was probably a better contested mark than Nick, but he was at his best running back into Pagan's Paddock. Nick Riewoldt has mastered that skill and may be the best ever running-back CHF, definately the best running CHF in history. Carey was probably more dynamic and could win a game off his own boot.

Stewart Leowe was probably the strongest overhead mark I can remember. He was a lot better than people give him credit for, but overshadowed by Plugger. And he wasn't a reliable kick for goal, but then Riewoldt has never been that good either.

Nick is definately one of the best.

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

It really is impossible to compare players and positions from a bygon era.

CHF and Wing had a very different meaning 30, 40 & 50 years ago.

Baldock was a superstar CHF, but he was more like Daicos or Dangerfield, but he never went up the ground. He was always within 40-80 meters of our goal. The stay at home forward no longer exists.

Royce Hart was quite classy or silky, but was only around for a few seasons. He played a couple of nice final series but didn't dominate for a generation.

Wayne Carey was pretty good, although I've always disliked him. He was probably a better contested mark than Nick, but he was at his best running back into Pagan's Paddock. Nick Riewoldt has mastered that skill and may be the best ever running-back CHF, definately the best running CHF in history. Carey was probably more dynamic and could win a game off his own boot.

Stewart Leowe was probably the strongest overhead mark I can remember. He was a lot better than people give him credit for, but overshadowed by Plugger. And he wasn't a reliable kick for goal, but then Riewoldt has never been that good either.

Nick is definately one of the best.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

supersaints wrote:Bumped...
Seeing Roos form is currently possible AA ... Humble pie anyone?
Brownlow form even.